Texting on ship

Mericle

Is there a way to text family members through the Norwegian app when you are on the ship or do you have to purchase an internet package for every phone?  Thought being able to get in touch with the kids would be helpful. 

There is a messaging facility within the app, but it also has a cost, which each person using it needs to pay. I don't know the current cost, but I'd guess around $15 for a 7 night cruise. I'ver only used it a couple of times, and not for a few years.

If you do use it then its important that everyone keeps the app running or they won't get notifications.

• Like 1

I went in with full intensions of buying the messaging part of the NCL app for my two teens and myself on our cruise last month.  It includes phone and messenger for $9.95 per person no matter how many days.  What we found was that in airplane mode if all devices were connected to the NCL wifi (easy) and if (and only if) both parties were using Apple iOs devices that you could send and receive messages though iMessage.  In other words blue texts come though but green ones do not.

What I did to help was to make sure everyone had read receipts on so you could make sure it was delivered and when it was read.  There were a few times we would get booted from the wifi for some reason but easy to realize if they were checking their phone.

Honestly it was easier for them as texting was no different versus having to do it through the NCL app.  It was also nice as they were able to text other friends they met on the ship.  Try it out when you get out of range of cell service.  You can buy the messaging app feature at anytime so no concerns.

Edited by lisa928
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, lisa928 said:

I went in with full intensions of buying the messaging part of the NCL app for my two teens and myself on our cruise last month.  It includes phone and messenger for $9.95 per person no matter how many days.  What we found was that in airplane mode if all devices were connected to the NCL wifi (easy) and if (and only if) both parties were using Apple iOs devices that you could send and receive messages though iMessage.  In other words blue texts come though but green ones do not.

What I did to help was to make sure everyone had read receipts on so you could make sure it was delivered and when it was read.  There were a few times we would get booted from the wifi for some reason but easy to realize if they were checking their phone.

Honestly it was easier for them as texting was no different versus having to do it through the NCL app.  It was also nice as they were able to text other friends they met on the ship.  Try it out when you get out of range of cell service.  You can buy the messaging app feature at anytime so no concerns.

Yes, this can work, but in my experience it just as often doesn't. As you say it is worth trying out, but just be prepared to have to use other methods.

2 hours ago, Mericle said:

Is there a way to text family members through the Norwegian app when you are on the ship or do you have to purchase an internet package for every phone?  Thought being able to get in touch with the kids would be helpful. 

The NCL app is kinda clunkly (well, very clunkly). They offer a fee-for-service message service which requires that every phone be up on the INTRAnet (i.e., just on the ship's network and not on the internet). You need to have the app up on all phones with notifications turned on. 

The second suggestion above is that if all phones are Apple devices, there has been a leak in the NCL network allowing iMessages to be sent/received when connected to the INTRAnet (i.e., just on the ship's network and not the internet). NCL has tried to explicitly plug this leak over time. But it seems to keep appearing on ships. 

A magnetic message board on doors with dry wall markers is the most reliable. with a protocol that people "check" when a message is read is the most reliable. 

33 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

A magnetic message board on doors with dry wall markers is the most reliable. with a protocol that people "check" when a message is read is the most reliable. 

^^^^this, tried and true, minimal cost..

Also check with your cellphone carrier.  I have T-Mobile and texts onboard are free to receive, $0.50 to send.  That said, I have an internet package and plan to put my phone in airplane mode and rely on texts over wifi rather than risk receiving an actual phone call at $5.99/minute.  I believe that Verizon, AT&T, etc. offer roaming packages for a one-time or monthly fee that have lower usage rates for texts , calls, and data.  Depending on your expected usage, it may end up being more cost effective than NCL's internet package.

Used the $9.95 messaging service on the app back on the Encore in February. 10 of us in a group with both Apple and Android phones. Set up a group chat and all worked well for the full week.

As to the point raised about using iPhones for messaging...I have used this to contact my kids at home when we are on the ship. Never had a text not go through. Always found it strange that this was able to happen.

On the Bliss now. We paid $9.95 for each of us to call and text in the app. You do get notifications of the messages however.

This morning we decided to get unlimited internet just for social media and internet and then we can message each other on Instagram - with notifications - and use the internet. We paid $89.99 for that. Probably would just do that next time and skip the pay to call/message in app thing. 

• Like 1

I want to make sure I understand how this works correctly.

• Download the regular NCL app
  • Pay $9.95 pp to activate that feature on the app once on board
  • Messaging and calls work with airplane mode and wifi both on

This last point is where I need clarification. If my wifi always has to be on, will apps open in the background of my phone use up regular wifi minutes while trying to always be available for a family member to message me using the NCL app. How does that part work?

1 hour ago, KBYUCougar said:

This last point is where I need clarification. If my wifi always has to be on, will apps open in the background of my phone use up regular wifi minutes while trying to always be available for a family member to message me using the NCL app. How does that part work?

With the NCL app, two people with the app can message (or call) each other at any time.  It will not use up your internet minutes.  To use your internet minutes, open the browser on your phone and log into the account you set up.  There is a timer attached to those minutes.  Be sure to log off so you don't accidentally use up all the minutes.  

I am totally confused.    So, the $9 per phone one is on the NCL app?      

So, all 4 of us need the app running for it to work?

so, even with all that, it might not work?  

I don't have an iphone.     

I did pay for unlimited internet on my phone if that matters

Edited by Traveller20074

On 3/21/2022 at 11:38 AM, mearsfansinboise said:

On the Bliss now. We paid $9.95 for each of us to call and text in the app. You do get notifications of the messages however.

This morning we decided to get unlimited internet just for social media and internet and then we can message each other on Instagram - with notifications - and use the internet. We paid $89.99 for that. Probably would just do that next time and skip the pay to call/message in app thing. 

how many phones does the $89 cover?  just one?  if I have 4 in my party (I have unlimited internet) are they all covered if I pay $89?       It is all so confusing lol

47 minutes ago, styles27 said:

I didn’t know about the $9.95 to activate that feature in the app. Do both of us pay that fee? Where would I find that?  
First time NCL’er sailing 04/15/22

as I understand, they both pay.  each phone does.  I think you sign up when onboard, from what I understand, someone can correct me if that is wrong

• Thanks 1

One device at a time. So technically it could cover all four of you but none of you can be on at the same time. My daughter and I keep kicking each other off to use the Internet. I will be in the room wanting to post on Cruise Critic (like I am right now), and then suddenly my post won’t go - which means she kicked me off. - lol

I suppose you can set up some time frames where each person gets to use it from this time to this time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mearsfansinboise said:

One device at a time. So technically it could cover all four of you but none of you can be on at the same time. My daughter and I keep kicking each other off to use the Internet. I will be in the room wanting to post on Cruise Critic (like I am right now), and then suddenly my post won’t go - which means she kicked me off. - lol

I suppose you can set up some time frames where each person gets to use it from this time to this time. 

hehehe she kicked you off.  I definitely can see my grandkids doing this lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So much confusion. Let me summarize the issues:

• All Cruise Norwegian app functions are free except for the inter-device communications (I’ll clarify that below). It’s available for both Android and iOS. 
  • Install the app on all of your devices before boarding. It’s a PITA to download at sea. 
  • Voice and text communication to others on the ship is optional through the app and available once you’re aboard for $9.95 per device regardless of cruise length. Usage is unlimited, as are the number of contacts that may be added to the contact list. Apple and Android devices may use this feature interchangeably. It’s a bit confusing to set up, but easy to use. Stop by the Internet Cafe for help getting it going.
  • The internet is not used for the app. There’s no need to log in or use minutes. BTW, though there’s an internet link in the app, don’t use it. Log in and out directly through your browser. 
  • If the $9.95 option isn’t working, check with the Internet Cafe to assure you’re configured correctly. If the app server isn’t functioning properly, you can get a refund at Guest Services.
  • Yes, iMessage will function without using minutes as long as devices on both ends are Apple with iMessage turned on and configured so that messages have blue backgrounds. Despite the color, green doesn’t go. The device must be connected to the ship’s network, but you don’t need to log in to the internet. 
  • Unless both people have separate unlimited internet plans, using other texting methods to communicate with others aboard is clumsy at best, since only one can be online at a time, since most plans are shared and/or have limited minutes of use. 
  • Don’t be alarmed that you’re wasting minutes if you’re receiving notifications from any number of sources while you’re logged out. Many will swoop down from the top of your screen whenever you’re on the ship network, though you can’t read more than the short message in the notification nor respond to them without logging in. 
  • Internet plans generally cover an unlimited number of devices, limited to one online at a time. Unlimited plans for more than one concurrent device are available from the Internet Manager if needed. 
  • The only differences between the basic and premium unlimited plans are the price and the latter’s support of streaming services (Netflix, YouTube, Spotify, Pandora, etc.) and VPN. There is no speed difference. 
  • The Social Media Unlimited Plan strictly supports only those sites and apps. No Google, no email, no banking or browsing. 
  • Many devices will display a “No Internet Connection” message in the settings after connecting to the ship’s network. Ignore it as long as the network is attached (look for the arced WiFi icon usually showing at the top of the screen). 

Whew, I’m exhausted. Hope this information helps clarify things. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3