Rome Help Please

sillypuppy

There will be 4 of us leaving out of Rome on the Edge May 21. We will be staying in Rome 2 nights pre-cruise. I have been looking for a couple weeks for central location hotels - near The Pantheon, Spanish Steps - not too picky as long as it is central and walkable. But the options are overwhelming so reaching out for help. Any hotel suggestions at least 3-4 stars that won’t break the bank?  Our budget would be no more than $350 Cdn per night. 

Also, suggestions on companies to get us to the port on the Saturday?

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Rome Claridge.  It was reasonably priced, near the Villa Borghese.  It is in a nice neighborhood with a grocery store and bank across the street.  Plenty of nearby restaurants. There is a tram steps from the hotel entrance that will take you to the Vatican and Colosseum. We walked to the Spanish steps area

Our group stayed at Hotel Genio a few years ago.  It's a small hotel with a great location...we walked to the places you mentioned above in addition to the Vatican and the Colosseum.  We were right around the corner from Piazza Navona.  We travelled in May; I believe the prices were less than $200 per night and included breakfast buffet.   On cruise day, we used the Civitavecchia Shuttle Service.  We used two vans to take 12 of us to the port.

Hope that helps.

Edited by lola2013

1 hour ago, yogini06 said:

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Rome Claridge.  It was reasonably priced, near the Villa Borghese.  It is in a nice neighborhood with a grocery store and bank across the street.  Plenty of nearby restaurants. There is a tram steps from the hotel entrance that will take you to the Vatican and Colosseum. We walked to the Spanish steps area

Borghese Gallery was fantastic. 

We stayed in 9Hotel Cesari on two previous cruises and have it booked for our upcoming cruise. It's beautiful with a great staff and very walkable to many attractions. We especially love the rooftop terrace for breakfast or a drink watching the sunset.

I endorse Rome in Limo. I have used their services several times. Always excellent.  
When picking hotels anywhere, I decide what I want to do. Then I check TripAdvisor for hotels in the area. Location is most important. Being close to places you want to see saves you time.  Then I read reviews keeping in mind what I like in a hotel.  Everyone is different.  In Europe, I like small places with local charm. While you can depend on major brands like Hilton, Hyatt, etc., locally owned small hotels can make your trip very interesting. In Rome, I like staying in a Residenza.  BnB type apartments.  Usually found in big buildings where each floor is owned by a different person.  However, if you like frills like pools, spas, restaurants, etc., the bigger hotels would be a better choice. 

Rome in limo is more expensive than Stefano's Rome Cabs for "transfers."  I was just booking my transfers and it was noticeable. Love their tours!

We always stay at Albergo del Senato, adjacent to the Pantheon.  They have a nice breakfast and excellent caramel macchiatos.  You can enter the Pantheon as soon as the doors open and really enjoy it!  My concern is getting the PCR test before our cruise, so hoping that specific test goes away, as the place to get one is on the other side of the Tiber River and needs an appointment.  Just too many things that could go wrong, IMHO.  We have a b2b/TA, but not until October.

Edited by Lastdance

We have used Stephano's RomeCabs several times and their service is fantastic. They are punctual, I think all their vehicles are Mercedes..at least that is all we have seen...vehicles are immaculate, and the drivers have a good working knowledge of English.

We generally stay in the area around the Termini station as it is a good transportation hub area, with access to the underground, busses and intercity trains.  Also great restaurants in the area.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sillypuppy said:

There will be 4 of us leaving out of Rome on the Edge May 21. We will be staying in Rome 2 nights pre-cruise. I have been looking for a couple weeks for central location hotels - near The Pantheon, Spanish Steps - not too picky as long as it is central and walkable. But the options are overwhelming so reaching out for help. Any hotel suggestions at least 3-4 stars that won’t break the bank?  Our budget would be no more than $350 Cdn per night. 

Also, suggestions on companies to get us to the port on the Saturday?

During our stay in Rome we stayed at the Navona Queen Hotel, which is more like a Bed and Breakfast.

The cons: Rooms fairly small.

Pros:

Fantastic location! Within a 30 minutes Walking distance of the Vatican, the Colosseum, the Spanish steps, the Pantheon ( may be 10 minutes), the Trevi Fountain (15 minutes), Piazza Navona ( 5 minutes), and St-John in Laterano Basilica. The church Holy Cross in Jerusalem is s bit further, may be 45 minutes, but still walkable.  Also, further away were the Catacombs. We took a cab to get to the Catacombs and slowly walked back.

Within two or three minutes walking, you will also find small streets, some for pedestrians, filled with boutiques and restaurants.

Roof top terrace. Beautiful place to stop for a glass of wine at the end of the day. They also have hot tubs on the roof top, available for rental.

Hot breakfast in the morning included, served in a cute little room. Breakfast was very good, but not necessarily American style.

Budget friendly. ( It's not as expensive as other hotels because it is a bed and breakfast.

Room very clean as well as the bathroom..

Friendly and helpful service.

If we ever go back to Rome, we will book this place again for dure.

We are on the same cruise as you, also arriving two days early. We are staying at the Waldorf, no idea of the price as we are staying with points. I was beginning to wonder if we were the only people on this cruise. 

56 minutes ago, fun4us2 said:

We are on the same cruise as you, also arriving two days early. We are staying at the Waldorf, no idea of the price as we are staying with points. I was beginning to wonder if we were the only people on this cruise. 

I was wondering the same thing when I looked at our role call lol

I have also stayed at Hotel Genio…..inexpensive for Rome and fabulous location for walking….staying near Villa Borghese or Spanish steps are a bit out of the way for getting around the main sights…also….hotel Navona and Hotel Smeraldo….

• Like 1