JFK arrival

We usually fly in to LGA for cruises but had to use some Jet Blue credits so we are flying in to JFK. Our September 23rd flight gets to JFK at 12:57PM so we will have some time to explore. 
Any suggestions for a hotel? I have been checking & the rates seem a lot higher than usual for NYC.

32 minutes ago, Cool Breeze Cruiser said:

Our September 23rd flight gets to JFK at 12:57PM so we will have some time to explore. 
Any suggestions for a hotel? I have been checking & the rates seem a lot higher than usual for NYC.

Rates in NYC are much higher than they have been for a while and will most likely continue to be for a bit. Hotels are still short staffed and to make up for not having as many rooms available they are just charging more for the ones that are. 

Off the wall idea but if you're flying into JFK T5 you could always overnight at the TWA Hotel thats attached to the terminal in the landmark TWA Flight Center. Jean Georges restaurants, year round rooftop heated pool overlooking the runway, cocktail bar in a restored TWA Constellation, and reasonably priced rooms. We stayed the night before a 9am flight that we normally would have stayed in Manhattan and had a much earlier morning taking a car to JFK. 

Obviously if exploring Manhattan is the goal this wouldn't be a good option, but we thoroughly enjoyed our one night stay. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cool Breeze Cruiser said:

We usually fly in to LGA for cruises but had to use some Jet Blue credits so we are flying in to JFK. Our September 23rd flight gets to JFK at 12:57PM so we will have some time to explore. 

It would help if you provide some specifics:

Is your cruise departing from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and you're looking for a hotel in Manhattan? 

For one night?

What's your budget ?

A room for two with a king or queen?

Do you have  a particular neighborhood or sights you want to see?

Any preferred hotel chains?

3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Off the wall idea but if you're flying into JFK T5 you could always overnight at the TWA Hotel thats attached to the terminal in the landmark TWA Flight Center.

I was going to make that suggestion as well.  Staying there would be a unique travel experience.  

35 minutes ago, George C said:

We always stay midtown Manhattan walking distance to broadway, great restaurants, bars and clubs .

That’s what I would suggest too. Go to Kayak.com and it will give you the rates. I always book a cancelable rate directly with the hotel 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. 
This will be our 7th time cruising from NYC but the first time flying in to JFK so I am not sure what area would be best to stay for one night. 
Our flight arrives at JFK at 12:57PM. We need a hotel for one night for two people (bed size is not an issue) & our cruise will be departing from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal the next day. 
We stayed at the Affinia Dumont twice & loved the hotel & area but it is not a hotel anymore. 
We enjoyed our stay at the Hampton Inn Manhattan-Times Square North a few years ago. The rate there is $331.69 for September 23rd. 
We have done the HOHO bus in NYC, Central Park & Times Square several times, & the 9/11 Memorial, & a few more touristy things. 
Cruises have been so craziness cheap lately that they have almost been booking theirselves 😁 so I just booked this Bermuda cruise & a cruise following it out of FLL. 

Edited by Cool Breeze Cruiser

1 hour ago, Cool Breeze Cruiser said:

Thanks for the replies. 
This will be our 7th time cruising from NYC but the first time flying in to JFK so I am not sure what area would be best to stay for one night. 
Our flight arrives at JFK at 12:57PM. We need a hotel for one night for two people (bed size is not an issue) & our cruise will be departing from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal the next day. 
We stayed at the Affinia Dumont twice & loved the hotel & area but it is not a hotel anymore. 
We enjoyed our stay at the Hampton Inn Manhattan-Times Square North a few years ago. The rate there is $331.69 for September 23rd. 
We have done the HOHO bus in NYC, Central Park & Times Square several times, & the 9/11 Memorial, & a few more touristy things. 
Cruises have been so craziness cheap lately that they have almost been booking theirselves 😁 so I just booked this Bermuda cruise & a cruise following it out of FLL. 

On hotels.com I see the Millennium Downtown for as little as $188 plus taxes and fees on that date. The hotel is near the 9/11 Memorial and World Trade Center. However, I can't make a personal recommendation about it.

Four Points by Sheraton New York Downtown shows $195 plus tax, etc. It's in the Wall St. area

12 hours ago, njhorseman said:

On hotels.com I see the Millennium Downtown for as little as $188 plus taxes and fees on that date. The hotel is near the 9/11 Memorial and World Trade Center. However, I can't make a personal recommendation about it.

Four Points by Sheraton New York Downtown shows $195 plus tax, etc. It's in the Wall St. area

Thanks so much for taking the time to look for hotels for us. They both sounded great until I looked at recent reviews on Trip Advisor. It sounds like the Millenium was a good hotel until Hilton sold it in October I think?
We are not overly picky about a hotel but cleanliness is a priority.

We are doing a 14 day New England road trip in May. We are mostly staying at Hilton properties so we should end up with quite a few points so I might use those to book a hotel in NYC.

Thanks again,

Juli

9 minutes ago, Cool Breeze Cruiser said:

Thanks so much for taking the time to look for hotels for us. They both sounded great until I looked at recent reviews on Trip Advisor. It sounds like the Millenium was a good hotel until Hilton sold it in October I think?
We are not overly picky about a hotel but cleanliness is a priority.

We are doing a 14 day New England road trip in May. We are mostly staying at Hilton properties so we should end up with quite a few points so I might use those to book a hotel in NYC.

Thanks again,

Juli

Sorry that I didn't come up with anything better.  What you might want to do is book something that looks OK that also can be canceled without penalty just to have something in your pocket. Then continue to monitor prices and availability to see if something more attractive comes up. 

16 hours ago, Cool Breeze Cruiser said:

This will be our 7th time cruising from NYC but the first time flying in to JFK so I am not sure what area would be best to stay for one night. Our flight arrives at JFK at 12:57PM. We need a hotel for one night for two people (bed size is not an issue) & our cruise will be departing from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal the next day.

You have been to New York many times now, so I imagine that you have already done the "tourist circuit" in Manhattan. So the real question is, where do you want to stay? Is it to continue staying in Manhattan--perhaps convenience to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal or to particular tourist sites--or is it time to stay elsewhere--either for economy or maybe to sightsee other parts of this huge city? For example, I note that Fairfield Inn and Suites is opening a brand new hotel on Archer Avenue in downtown Jamaica, Queens, opening in May 2022, virtually across the street from the Jamaica AirTrain and LIRR station. Probably the most-accessible hotel to JFK airport--about a 10-minute trip on JFK's AirTrain system--and a 20-minute ride on the LIRR to Penn Station the next day (or "E" subway train to 50th Street-8th Avenue, and short walk to cruise terminal). Hotel rates have not yet been posted yet, but probably quite reasonable compared to midtown Manhattan (e.g., the SpringHill Suites located a few blocks further away in Jamaica is charging $179 in mid-September). Three are other parts of the city that could also make for a pleasant stay, but with so many choices it really comes down to what you want to make of it. Choose one or more NYC neighborhoods in which to stay, and then the hotel choices will flow naturally from that.

Edited by GTJ

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Sorry that I didn't come up with anything better.  What you might want to do is book something that looks OK that also can be canceled without penalty just to have something in your pocket. Then continue to monitor prices and availability to see if something more attractive comes up. 

It was really nice of you to try to find something. 
We have to many cruises & trips booked & they are all starting to run together. Lol

I spent a good part of yesterday ‘playing with’ hotels. I found a nice hotel at a great rate in Fort Lauderdale for our cruise the day after this cruise ends. 
I usually start by looking at hotels on Trip Advisor & when I find something I like, I go to the hotel website & try different rates like AARP, etc.

I came up with several possible hotels for NYC yesterday. I will go ahead & book one soon & keep looking. 

I am probably making to big of a deal out of us flying in to JFK instead of LGA before our cruise. We don’t want to spend a lot of time in a taxi/Uber/shuttle though so I am not sure what area will work best. 
Thanks again,

Juli

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GTJ said:

You have been to New York many times now, so I imagine that you have already done the "tourist circuit" in Manhattan. So the real question is, where do you want to stay? Is it to continue staying in Manhattan--perhaps convenience to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal or to particular tourist sites--or is it time to stay elsewhere--either for economy or maybe to sightsee other parts of this huge city? For example, I note that Fairfield Inn and Suites is opening a brand new hotel on Archer Avenue in downtown Jamaica, Queens, opening in May 2022, virtually across the street from the Jamaica AirTrain and LIRR station. Probably the most-accessible hotel to JFK airport--about a 10-minute trip on JFK's AirTrain system--and a 20-minute ride on the LIRR to Penn Station the next day (or "E" subway train to 50th Street-8th Avenue, and short walk to cruise terminal). Hotel rates have not yet been posted yet, but probably quite reasonable compared to midtown Manhattan (e.g., the SpringHill Suites located a few blocks further away in Jamaica is charging $179 in mid-September). Three are other parts of the city that could also make for a pleasant stay, but with so many choices it really comes down to what you want to make of it. Choose one or more NYC neighborhoods in which to stay, and then the hotel choices will flow naturally from that.

You are right. We have done a lot of the ‘touristy’ things. We are not usually fans of big crowds but NYC is a very vibrant area. 
The problem is I don’t know what we want to do or where we want to stay.
I do want to get a hotel booked right away & then I can keep looking. I would prefer not to pay $300 plus for a room but I will if I don’t find other good options. 

We booked the Moxy Downtown for our cruise in 2019 but NCL changed our embarkation from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal to the Brooklyn terminal (We were glad they did, we had an insurance policy that paid $1250pp for a change in itinerary. I didn’t think a terminal change would be considered a change in itinerary but we submitted a claim when we got back from our cruise & they sent us two checks for $1250 each!) so we booked a different hotel. We stayed at the Industry City Hotel. It was an interesting experience. Lol

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check out the Fairfield Inn. 

We just booked this cruise a few days ago to use some Jet Blue credits we had to use or lose. We had not planned on cruising from NYC again so soon so I don’t know what we want to do the afternoon after we land. 
We enjoyed seeing Wicked several years ago but I looked & didn’t see any shows that we are interested in. 
I noticed you are from Flushings. We booked a hotel in Flushings one time but canceled when friends decided to join us on our cruise & we booked somewhere else. Our plan was to go to a Mets game & hopefully eat some good Chinese food. 😁 The Mets are not in town September 23rd but the Yankees are. We are not big Yankees fans but they are playing the Red Sox so it should be a good game so we ‘might’ go to the game. 
Thanks,

Juli

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

JFK isn’t really THAT far from LGA. Don’t worry it will be fine. 

Thanks. I am overthinking it. Thankfully we land at 12:57PM on a Friday so hopefully traffic will not be to bad. We had a later flight to NYC one time & traffic was horrible!

51 minutes ago, Cool Breeze Cruiser said:

Thanks. I am overthinking it. Thankfully we land at 12:57PM on a Friday so hopefully traffic will not be to bad. We had a later flight to NYC one time & traffic was horrible!

Unlike taxis fares elsewhere in the city, which are metered, if you're taking a taxi  between JFK and Manhattan in either direction there's a fixed fare of $52 plus a couple of small surcharges, tips ,and any tolls. You can also check Uber and Lyft fares as well as car services such as Carmel limo or Dial 7 to see if any are significantly less than a taxi. Usually they're fairly close to each other.

It's expected that you'll also soon be able to use the Uber app to summon a taxi.

• Like 1

No, I don't think that you're "making too big of a deal out of us flying in to JFK instead of LGA": the logistics of such a large city make your considerations important, and arriving at one instead of the other may affect where you would stay. For example, were you coming into LGA, I would indeed suggest consideration of Flushing, Queens, as a place to say. Many hotels have been built here in recent years--advertising themselves as "LaGuardia East" and offering courtesy transportation to and from the airport (or at least an inexpensive taxi or Q48 bus ride--and a significant draw is the Chinese culture and cuisine that has surpassed Manhattan. As well, one can walk between downtown Flushing and both Citifield and the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. Not as convenient, however, if coming from JFK.

Book a hotel "right away," for security and peace of mind, but I would encourage you to "keep looking." I can't say that the Fairfield Inn in Jamaica is a recommendation--it has not opened yet!--but it is a possibility that is both very convenient and distinctly located (something good if you enjoyed staying near Industrial City in Brooklyn before). Do some reading on New York City, in whatever field it is that is of your interest, and see where there might be a concentration of that interest. I happen to like urban history and geography, so I would wander over to the Forgotten New York and Geography of NYC websites for ideas and inspiration, but there is so much in NYC that it would be presumptuous of me to say what you "should" do here.

Finally, I note the "change in itinerary" claim: Perhaps technically a change, but one within the same city. I would not have thought of having made a claim, though I would agree in the case of having purposefully booked a hotel in walking distance of one terminal that a change to another terminal would be a significant change in having obviated the very purpose of the original hotel booking!

23 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Unlike taxis fares elsewhere in the city, which are metered, if you're taking a taxi  between JFK and Manhattan in either direction there's a fixed fare of $52 plus a couple of small surcharges, tips ,and any tolls. You can also check Uber and Lyft fares as well as car services such as Carmel limo or Dial 7 to see if any are significantly less than a taxi. Usually they're fairly close to each other.

It's expected that you'll also soon be able to use the Uber app to summon a taxi.

Thanks. We are going to try to do a little more research & decide what sites we want to see this time to decide what area to book a hotel. 
Juli

4 hours ago, GTJ said:

No, I don't think that you're "making too big of a deal out of us flying in to JFK instead of LGA": the logistics of such a large city make your considerations important, and arriving at one instead of the other may affect where you would stay. For example, were you coming into LGA, I would indeed suggest consideration of Flushing, Queens, as a place to say. Many hotels have been built here in recent years--advertising themselves as "LaGuardia East" and offering courtesy transportation to and from the airport (or at least an inexpensive taxi or Q48 bus ride--and a significant draw is the Chinese culture and cuisine that has surpassed Manhattan. As well, one can walk between downtown Flushing and both Citifield and the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. Not as convenient, however, if coming from JFK.

Book a hotel "right away," for security and peace of mind, but I would encourage you to "keep looking." I can't say that the Fairfield Inn in Jamaica is a recommendation--it has not opened yet!--but it is a possibility that is both very convenient and distinctly located (something good if you enjoyed staying near Industrial City in Brooklyn before). Do some reading on New York City, in whatever field it is that is of your interest, and see where there might be a concentration of that interest. I happen to like urban history and geography, so I would wander over to the Forgotten New York and Geography of NYC websites for ideas and inspiration, but there is so much in NYC that it would be presumptuous of me to say what you "should" do here.

Finally, I note the "change in itinerary" claim: Perhaps technically a change, but one within the same city. I would not have thought of having made a claim, though I would agree in the case of having purposefully booked a hotel in walking distance of one terminal that a change to another terminal would be a significant change in having obviated the very purpose of the original hotel booking!

Thanks for the very thorough response. 
We had a later flight when we stayed at Industrial City so by the time we got to the hotel, we just had dinner & visited with our friends so did not see any of the area. 
On our first few cruises out of NYC, we stayed a couple of nights pre-cruise so we had time to explore. 
I think I am leaning forwards going to the Yankees/Red Sox game. If we do, what area would be best for us to find a hotel? 
I was really surprised about receiving the $1250 each for the change in ‘itinerary’, since it was just to a different terminal in the same city but our friend turned in a claims form as soon as we got back from our cruise & received her checks a week or so later so I sent in the forms too. Our checks were in the mail a few days later. It was definitely an unexpected surprise!
Thanks again,

Juli

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cool Breeze Cruiser said:

I think I am leaning forwards going to the Yankees/Red Sox game. If we do, what area would be best for us to find a hotel?

There's a small number of hotels within reasonable walking distance of Yankee Stadium, including a Best Western and a Ramada, but I cannot say much about them . . . I don't know the surrounding area well. You likely will not find a lot of activity of interest beyond the baseball stadium, but you may pay a premium hotel rate nonetheless for that proximity. There might be some other areas, also in the Bronx, having some greater interest, but the transportation within the Bronx to and from stadium is not especially convenient (let alone getting between JFK and the Bronx). Maybe some others who live or work in that borough can chime in. Otherwise, there is reasonable transportation to the stadium from various parts of Manhattan: the Lexington Avenue subway line ("4" train), on the east side of Manhattan, provides direct service to the stadium, as does the Sixth Avenue subway line ("D," and during rush hours "B," trains), on the west side of Manhattan, as well as Metro-North Commuter Railroad from Grand Central Terminal. Were you to stay in Queens or Brooklyn, it would be a rather long trip to and from Yankee Stadium.

20 hours ago, Cool Breeze Cruiser said:

1 hour ago, GTJ said:

There's a small number of hotels within reasonable walking distance of Yankee Stadium, including a Best Western and a Ramada, but I cannot say much about them . . . I don't know the surrounding area well. You likely will not find a lot of activity of interest beyond the baseball stadium, but you may pay a premium hotel rate nonetheless for that proximity. There might be some other areas, also in the Bronx, having some greater interest, but the transportation within the Bronx to and from stadium is not especially convenient (let alone getting between JFK and the Bronx). Maybe some others who live or work in that borough can chime in. Otherwise, there is reasonable transportation to the stadium from various parts of Manhattan: the Lexington Avenue subway line ("4" train), on the east side of Manhattan, provides direct service to the stadium, as does the Sixth Avenue subway line ("D," and during rush hours "B," trains), on the west side of Manhattan, as well as Metro-North Commuter Railroad from Grand Central Terminal. Were you to stay in Queens or Brooklyn, it would be a rather long trip to and from Yankee Stadium.

I'm pretty familiar with the Bronx as both a lifelong Yankees fan and because my wife was born and raised in the Bronx. I spent far too much time as a young adult riding the subways and buses to and from her family's home.

No...you do not want to stay in the neighborhood near Yankee Stadium . In fact I'm reasonably sure that I would not recommend staying anywhere in the Bronx because I don't think you'll find anything that combines an acceptable hotel in a safe neighborhood with reasonable access to mass transit. I may be wrong because I haven't checked out every possible place recently, but I'll stick with that advice.

As @GTJsays, there's ample subway service to Yankee Stadium from both the east and west sides of Manhattan so it's relatively easy to get to Yankee Stadium from most of Manhattan. Naturally you'll find the subways going to and from the ballpark to be very crowded on game day.

As @Got2Cruisesaid, expect to pay a premium for seats to a Yankees-Red Sox game, but if you were willing to wait until close to game time the price of unsold seats on the secondary market often drops dramatically in the 24 hours leading up to the game.

• Like 2

Thanks for the responses. We are not big Yankees fans (we are Braves fans 😱) so maybe we will just skip the game. 
I usually do all of our trip planning but we are doing a cruise April 16th & a 14 day New England land trip so I have been pretty busy researching.
I think I will turn choosing what area to stay in NYC over to my husband. That should be interesting! 🤣

• Like 1

NYC has so many hotels.

For your hotel try Hotwire. Pick midtown and only pick a property if its highly recommended..... you will most likely save a ton.

So many ways to get from JFK to midtown. Google and Youtube are your friend. 

Like anything you have to weigh cost and convenience.

Edited by Ilovesailaway
typo