Is Cunard milking QG , pushing prices too high

Windsurfboy

QG prices seem to have gone up faster than other cruise lines, getting very close to what are perceived as more premium lines , e.g. Silversea .  Also now way above other mid market UK cruise lines. A suite on P&O is well under half price of QG and much nicer room. 

We're habitual QG 'rillers and couldn't tell you if the prices have shot up or not. We see, we like, we ask our agent to be ready to book on CWC day of sale.

As exlondoner said, if the cabins sell then it's  prudent pricing and to be frank,  I couldn't care less if Cunard is perceived as  mid range, premium or luxury and I certainly am not the slightest bit interest in what any other line is charging. 

We book the product because we like it, others are free to book elsewhere if it's deemed too pricy,

• Like 1

I agree the price QG have increased considerably since our last cruise in a Q6 on QE in November 2019. We cannot get any equivalent cruise for the price we paid then now and even allowing for high inflation prices have jumped considerably. Making it unbookable for me as dont think the extra being charged over a PG is justified and will book PG in future. I certainly dont have the amount of money to be able to book without comparing prices to what was charged in the past or other cruise lines and certainly if you break it down price per night per person is good value for money.

56 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

QG prices seem to have gone up faster than other cruise lines, getting very close to what are perceived as more premium lines , e.g. Silversea .  Also now way above other mid market UK cruise lines. A suite on P&O is well under half price of QG and much nicer room. 

If they can sell at those prices, it would seem that they are pricing correctly.  If P&O are selling better accommodations at lower fares, it would seem that, perhaps, P&O are the one with bad pricing decisions - and you the sucker for paying more while getting less.

I think they are expensive - for example Cunard Bcn-Singapore QG https://www.cunard.com/en-au/find-a-cruise/Q230/Q230  20 days 

A$28,800 pp - not including wifi, gratuities, excursions, or drinks 

The same price on Viking for a similar length  voyage https://www.vikingcruises.com.au/oceans/cruise-destinations/eastern-mediterranean/passage-to-india/pricing.html would have got you one of the top suites on board - and even a mid-range penthouse is considerably cheaper @ $16,000 PP - which DOES include  all the things that Cunard does not.  

We booked that Cunard fare at less than its advertised for now in an inside deluxe - so Viking's entry levels cabins are expensive in comparison  - but not at QG level 

However, viking is an inferior product to QG in terms of food offerings. No off piste dining or caviar included on viking. Viking is not good value for us, maybe better for you. I like to dress up, viking is casual, i wasnt overly impressed with the food, and there are a limited number of sizeable premium suites. Plus, excursions are not my thing. Everyone is different, and lets face it, Queens grill is not meant to appeal to the masses.

• Like 2

I casually and unofficially track QG prices on the TA crossings, and for what is available it all seems pretty much in line with the past couple of pre-pandemic years.  Basically runs the gamut from $4,000 - $6,000 pp (+/-) for a 7 night Q5/6/7.  Prices vary, it seems to me, based on direction, time of year, and proximity to sailing and of course, demand.  

It's their "cow" to milk.  If they overprice it, people will go elsewhere.   

• Like 2

The answers to this question,  show if you are a Cunard devotee then, you are happy to pay what they ask and haven't looked elsewhere for some time. If there are enough of you Cunard has made a good business decision.  

If you are like me , you like Cunard but not a devotee, then after my two Cunard cruises in 2023 will try elsewhere.  Most probably  spend a bit more, but hopefully get even more. Yes there are some things about other lines mentioned I don't like. Prefer not to have inclusive drinks, or inclusive excursions, so Cunard wins that.

I can't compare Cunard with Silversea, Seabourn,  Viking as yet to try them , but QG price rises coupled with the fact QG doesn't blow me away, means I will in 2024, given right intinerary. 

I have tried P&O which was dismissed as you can't compare Cunard to P&O. P&O being only ship going from Capetown to UK when we wanted. I don't think it was the slam dunk for Cunard that devotees espouse. 

The P&O suite won , double sink , seperate shower , proper dining table.

Meals and dining ambience.  Breakfast was a draw as suites had own breakfast room. Lunch hard to tell as we have something light in room, but P&O had a dining table. Dinner no contest as P&O doesn't have equivalent of QG .  Paid for dining  up with QG. Wine list not as extensive but still decent wines. Overall QG a winner.

Ambience outside QG, some Cunarders have been very derogatory about P&O passengers, we found generally nice people. When we sailed dress code similiar to Cunard and just as well adhered to. Dress codes are again similiar. I don't think Cunard is in class of its own.

As for entertainment,  very much personal taste i say a draw.

A win for Cunard but not a slam dunk

I think the high price is the result of demand. There's a lot of FCC out there. People with FCC for two cruises maybe combining those credits to treat themselves to one cruise in QG instead of two in a lower category. As a result, availability in QG is low. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

The answers to this question,  show if you are a Cunard devotee then, you are happy to pay what they ask and haven't looked elsewhere for some time. If there are enough of you Cunard has made a good business decision.  

If you are like me , you like Cunard but not a devotee, then after my two Cunard cruises in 2023 will try elsewhere.  Most probably  spend a bit more, but hopefully get even more. Yes there are some things about other lines mentioned I don't like. Prefer not to have inclusive drinks, or inclusive excursions, so Cunard wins that.

I can't compare Cunard with Silversea, Seabourn,  Viking as yet to try them , but QG price rises coupled with the fact QG doesn't blow me away, means I will in 2024, given right intinerary. 

I have tried P&O which was dismissed as you can't compare Cunard to P&O. P&O being only ship going from Capetown to UK when we wanted. I don't think it was the slam dunk for Cunard that devotees espouse. 

The P&O suite won , double sink , seperate shower , proper dining table.

Meals and dining ambience.  Breakfast was a draw as suites had own breakfast room. Lunch hard to tell as we have something light in room, but P&O had a dining table. Dinner no contest as P&O doesn't have equivalent of QG .  Paid for dining  up with QG. Wine list not as extensive but still decent wines. Overall QG a winner.

Ambience outside QG, some Cunarders have been very derogatory about P&O passengers, we found generally nice people. When we sailed dress code similiar to Cunard and just as well adhered to. Dress codes are again similiar. I don't think Cunard is in class of its own.

As for entertainment,  very much personal taste i say a draw.

A win for Cunard but not a slam dunk

I can't make any comparisons as we're stick in the mud Cunard  cruisers but if you want the dbl sink/dining table/along with the separate shower which all QG suites have, then don't jump ship as far as QE or QV are concerned. Book a Q2 or a Q1. They have it all and in spades as far as the 1's are concerned although we prefer the position of the 2s..

Both have separate bedrooms and the refitted 1's have his 'n hers bathrooms so separate sinks not needed and you won't get the semi inclusive stuff which we, like you, don't want.🙂

5 hours ago, ClipperinSFO said:

I should add that my prices above are for US point-of-sale, and don't take into account any inclusions such as drinks, gratitudes or OBC.

You are very lucky because in the UK we do not get free drinks packages or gratuities.

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

You are very lucky because in the UK we do not get free drinks packages or gratuities.

Free drinks and gratuities are by no means standard for US POS, it varies with the crossing and pricing level.  

9 hours ago, majortom10 said:

My understanding was that often the onboard credit was more generous on UK bookings.  For example I have $960 credit ($1060 when you include the shareholder benefit) on an upcoming 7 night TA. 

I would rather have the OBC so I have more choice over wine etc than the free drinks package.  In any case $960 would almost pay the $966 charge for 2x7 night drinks packages if I wanted to.

• Like 2

I have been cruising for many, many decades and for a while I was even in the travel business (pre-Internet!).  Cruise prices constantly fluctuate depending upon destination, time of year, itinerary, ship, line, demand, and so forth. Nothing has really changed, except immediately after cruising restarted this past year after the virus, I was getting ridiculously cheap offers to sail soon.   Also a lot more people cruise now than in the past. And yes, many folks are holding vouchers they need to use up in a few years, myself included (for Viking--my mother's choice). 

I have never "overpaid" for a cruise, in my opinion. Overall I find cruises excellent value for the money. The cabin, food, entertainment, ports of call, starry nights, and ocean air are all provided!

I am not a Cunard-only cruiser, but I certainly do enjoy the formal and elegant atmosphere, the intellectual focus,  the historical heritage, and so forth.  Every line has something different and unique to offer, and one is not necessarily better than another.  Sometimes it just depends on what mood one might be in for a particular type of travel.  

I do many other types of travel, including all inclusive tropical resorts and diverse ski vacations with my husband, where hotels and restaurants are outrageously expensive just because they have a captive audience in the mountains.  The only travel that really ranks above cruising for me is staying in castle hotels (because who doesn't like a castle?).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

If I was paying q1 or q2 prices wouldn't sail Cunard. 

Interesting. Which ships would you choose?

We don't want smaller ships, or any kind of inclusive sailing and on QE and QV, we have a product which suits and meets our criteria for an enjoyable holiday so at the moment, we're happy campers!

Each to their own. 🙂

I too would be interested. 
For example, You could just about get a special deal for a week in the med in aug/sept on a lux line in a very ordinary small, balcony room for the price of a Q1/2 similar itinerary and price. So if space, off piste QG food and formality is your thing, then where else can you get that for the price? A large suite on a lux line is going to cost upwards of £15k each. Not £5k as per Cunard. Huge difference.

4 hours ago, Se1lad said:

My understanding was that often the onboard credit was more generous on UK bookings.  For example I have $960 credit ($1060 when you include the shareholder benefit) on an upcoming 7 night TA. 

I would rather have the OBC so I have more choice over wine etc than the free drinks package.  In any case $960 would almost pay the $966 charge for 2x7 night drinks packages if I wanted to.

Best part of that OBC will be swallowed up first night on gratuities they automatically add. US cruisers in grills get free drinks packages and gratuities. I know which I would rather have and is far better value.