How is Regent handling "previously positive" Covid tests?

I believe at the moment, if you test positive for Covid, you cannot cruise, period.  But as we have learned, Covid test-positivity can linger for weeks and sometimes months after any symptoms or illness.  Since Omicron this has become a particular problem. 

Many jurisdictions, including the Canadian government right now, include that exceptional case. The wording for Canadian entry until April 1st (when the pre-test requirement is being dropped), is a previous positive molecular test result if you have no symptoms and can provide proof of a positive molecular test taken at least 10 days previous to entry (and no more than 180 days.)

Do you think there's any hope that the cruise lines (and Regent in particular), will include this exception at some point?  How about dropping the testing altogether--what timeframe do people think we're talking here?

If this previous positive exemption was at least in place, one could test preemptively which might save some a lot of grief. We could, for instance, use our free rapid tests a couple of weeks before leaving on our trip in July, then if we happened to be positive, do a molecular test to confirm.  Then be exempt from further testing.  Note this isn't a scenario that pertains to me particularly.

• Like 1

Hi Wendy the Wanderer. Well I tested positive on our way to the airport hotel, prior to flying to Rome to join Regent. Turned back home, stopped on the motorway services to cancel everything in tears! 
So there were 4 family members who had Covid 2 weeks previously, 3 of whom were negative after 8 days and I was still positive.

Going forward I hope these tests end soon or I might have an awful lot of cancelled cruises, not to mention the ones previously cancelled in the pandemic!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gilly said:

Sending hugs just down the M5, @Juno1956  We've all dreaded that scenario.

Thank you Gilly! I know in the scheme of things it’s trivial but we were gutted not to get on our first Regent cruise! 
Hope you’re enjoying the West Country sun, maybe it’s raining in Naples!

• Like 1

Wendy, I had Covid back in January, as did my wife. The CDC doesn’t recommend testing within 90 days of Covid. Your physician can issue a certificate of recovery, which you can actually use to enter the US. Now for one answer to your question. Wife and I are currently on the Explorer. I called Regent a week before and inquired about it. The gentleman that answered the phone at Regent said , you need a negative test within 48 hours. He said the antigen test wouldn’t be affected by the previous Covid. I left it at that, as there wasn’t any point in taking it further until we got tested. We both tested negative, and are now enjoying the cruise. I guess the short answer is you can’t, but who knows if you take it higher. Anyway, I would recommend a certificate of recovery anyway. Hopefully Regent will eventually accept this.

Juno, sorry for your misfortune, but better to test positive at home, than elsewhere. I was quarantined on my last cruise on Seabourn for 6 days . Not fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit late to the party, but... I also had Covid in Jan.  I was able to get a "Fit to Travel" letter from the Georgia Department of Public Health.   We went to The Bahamas last week.  In order to go I had to have a Negative Test as The Bahamas does not accept Fit to Travel letter.  No problem.  Took an Antigen test and was negative.  To get home, for simplicity, I decided even though I didn't need one, I went ahead and got another Antigen Test. Also negative.  So reasonably if you are weeks after Covid you will show negative on an Antigen test.  

I wonder if anyone knows the answer to my question:

We both had our first vaccines in January/ February 2021

Boosters August 2021.
Tested positive for Covid January 2022. 
When should we take the second boosters? …. We are in our 80’s and eligible. 
Hope someone can answer!

sheila 

14 minutes ago, wcsdkqh said:

Why would anyone in their right mind ask medical questions here. Talk to your physician!!!!!

If your physician works at the CDC you might want to get a second opinion!

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I wonder if anyone knows the answer to my question:

We both had our first vaccines in January/ February 2021

Boosters August 2021.
Tested positive for Covid January 2022. 
When should we take the second boosters? …. We are in our 80’s and eligible. 
Hope someone can answer!

sheila 

60 days post infection

• Like 2

Just recover from Covid, have Celtic ate of recovery. Did not like single person isolation on board due to safety issues. Wife is still negative. Does anyone know the regent protocol for on board isolation?  I am very worried about wife being lock up with minimal medical monitoring and nobody to take care of here in isolation if she is I’ll.  
As regent is not accepting recovery letters is it worth the risk of an international flight then getting a residual positive in the port city and turned way on embarkation

58 minutes ago, klkaylor78 said:

Just recover from Covid, have Celtic ate of recovery. Did not like single person isolation on board due to safety issues. Wife is still negative. Does anyone know the regent protocol for on board isolation?  I am very worried about wife being lock up with minimal medical monitoring and nobody to take care of here in isolation if she is I’ll.  
As regent is not accepting recovery letters is it worth the risk of an international flight then getting a residual positive in the port city and turned way on embarkation

Regent will not release their quarantine policy nor let you copy it or take a picture of it even if you are quarantined. I have asked for a copy of it and none was sent.

On 4/7/2022 at 9:39 PM, Pcardad said:

Regent will not release their quarantine policy nor let you copy it or take a picture of it even if you are quarantined. I have asked for a copy of it and none was sent.

Doesn't surprise me with the constant changes is policies around the world.  If someone sees something online they take it as gospel...yeah, there's absolutely zero upside for Regent to publish that...

Seabourn had hard copy but it was not ridgidly follow as countries are changing the rules.  Based on CDC data it is possible to be covid antigen and pcr positive for 90+ days post recovery makes testing unnecessary.  Sad to hear that RSSC will not allow a recovery document to substitute for negative test like the US does for entry.  For this reason we are going to cancell our July RSSC cruise.  Just not worth the risk of being denied boarding for something that is avoidable

• Like 1

5 hours ago, klkaylor78 said:

Seabourn had hard copy but it was not ridgidly follow as countries are changing the rules.  Based on CDC data it is possible to be covid antigen and pcr positive for 90+ days post recovery makes testing unnecessary.  Sad to hear that RSSC will not allow a recovery document to substitute for negative test like the US does for entry.  For this reason we are going to cancell our July RSSC cruise.  Just not worth the risk of being denied boarding for something that is avoidable

Yes, it is sad.  The world is changing to a post-pandemic one, where this type of accommodation should become a routine part of the puzzzle.

Regent finally addresses COVID Recovery Certificate:

https://www.rssc.com/voyage-health/SPL220602

I know we are not supposed to discuss COVID here, however, I am still at a loss with respect to testing positive long after getting COVID.  Question:  if you EVER test negative AFTER having COVID does that mean you are in the clear or can you still show positive up to 90 days after having COVID?

thanks,

Marc

4 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Regent finally addresses COVID Recovery Certificate:

https://www.rssc.com/voyage-health/SPL220602

I know we are not supposed to discuss COVID here, however, I am still at a loss with respect to testing positive long after getting COVID.  Question:  if you EVER test negative AFTER having COVID does that mean you are in the clear or can you still show positive up to 90 days after having COVID?

thanks,

Marc

Oh wow, that's hopeful to see.

Wendy, it appears that Canada does not require any testing for cruise passengers, is that correct?  Regent voyage-health site just talks about putting vaccination information into ArriveCan.  

Marc

5 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Wendy, it appears that Canada does not require any testing for cruise passengers, is that correct?  Regent voyage-health site just talks about putting vaccination information into ArriveCan.  

Marc

Marc, I have no direct knowledge of what, if any, special requirements there are for cruise passengers.  In general, at the moment, there is no testing required for entry by those who can provide a vaccination certificate (2 shots), although random testing can be carried out.   Having just used ArriveCAN to return to Canada, yes, you upload pictures of your passport main page and vaccination certificate, and provide other details such as a quarantine plan, then provide a port of entry within 72 hours of entry.

33 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

special requirements

You may want to check the Canadian government website. As far as I can tell, if your cruise includes a Canadian port then you need a pre cruise test. You can fly to Canada without a test, but need one before you board a cruise that operates in Canadian waters.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-april-26-2022

17 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Marc

We are leaving from Montreal in May.  We just started our ArriveCan and Canada does NOT require a test if you are vaccinated.  Regent does require one.  It must be a PCR if 72 hours prior to boarding OR a PCR or Antigen if within 48 hours of boarding.