Voyager to hades.

TomTN

Just now, TomBeckCruise said:

We have not contacted Regent, and We have not been offered any FCC.

I recommend that you do contact them if you want some form of compensation.

Thanks, Tom.  We were not on the cruise.  My sister and her DH were.  So, curious on their behalf.

On 4/11/2022 at 5:32 PM, 1982CruzStart said:

Gosh i hope it is before my cruise in August.  Sorry there are so many challenges especially when you pay the kind of money required for a Regent cruise.  I hope Regent provides some kind of compensation for all the passengers but i won't hold my breath. 

We have just received £500.00 per person future cruise credit after the debacle that was this cruise. 

Great!  so we have to spend even more money just to get their generous offer? 

I think not. 

1 minute ago, gollane said:

We have just received £500.00 per person future cruise credit after the debacle that was this cruise. 

Great!  so we have to spend even more money just to get their generous offer? 

I think not. 

I am so sorry you went through that and i agree that giving someone a FCC and forcing them to book another cruise to be compensated for a crappy one is unreasonable. The least they could do is offer the amount in cash. i am not saying the amount offered is reasonable but it would be more platable if you at least had the choice of FCC or cash. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I think the least they could do would be to give a refund as an option to an FCC.  This may be especially relevant to those who haven't cruised a lot with Regent, and now have no intention or desire to book another.

This was requested when FCCs (which are of no value unless applied to an expensive future cruise) were offered (in response to an extensive email of feedback).

They refused point blank to consider this.

I believe any compensation for inconvenience across the cruise industry is FCC not cash.   Sadly cruising, just like any other vacation, is a "live and learn" situation.  If you fly on a specific airline, and hate it, you don't get compensation, you get "miles."  If you book a hotel and it's substandard, you don't get compensation, you get "points."  It is how it works.  There is no obligation at all for any cruise line to give any compensation for "non-enjoyment."  

56 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

I believe any compensation for inconvenience across the cruise industry is FCC not cash.   Sadly cruising, just like any other vacation, is a "live and learn" situation.  If you fly on a specific airline, and hate it, you don't get compensation, you get "miles."  If you book a hotel and it's substandard, you don't get compensation, you get "points."  It is how it works.  There is no obligation at all for any cruise line to give any compensation for "non-enjoyment."  

Wasn’t this more of a non-delivery or non performance issue?

2 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

If you fly on a specific airline, and hate it, you don't get compensation, you get "miles."  If you book a hotel and it's substandard, you don't get compensation, you get "points."  It is how it works.

The above generalization is not always true. At least in Canada, if airline operational issues (not weather) cause flight cancellation or delays, you may well be entitled to monetary compensation. The airline would much rather give you miles/points or a credit, but the consumer need not accept such. As for a hotel, of course the entity would rather give you points or a credit, but, depending on the issue, and your local consumer protection laws, you may well have options--depending on how far you are willing to push the issue. 

As for cruise lines, typically they (try to) protect themselves with that multipage contract that few of us ever read in its entirety.  Yet that contract may or may not be enforceable in your jurisdiction, again, depending on your local laws and consumer protection options. A cruise line would much rather give you FCC, as that benefits them. And, to be fair, it may work for many. Yet not for all.

Given people are spending many thousands of dollars for these cruises, and not all can afford to shrug off a very poor experience as has been described by multiple posters here earlier, it may be worthwhile to explore ones consumer protection and legal options, if all other avenues of redress have been closed by the cruise line.  What I read here goes well beyond "non-enjoyment", in my view. 

Frankly, that this thread has been ongoing so long, and that, per the other thread started about more recent cruises on Voyager indicates that senior ship staff acknowledge the prior cruise problems, one would think that corporate HQ would wake up and "do the right thing" by their customers--for reputation management, if nothing else. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ON cruiser said:

At least in Canada, if airline operational issues (not weather) cause flight cancellation or delays, you may well be entitled to monetary compensation.

I was not aware that the cruise(s) in question had been cancelled or delayed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ON cruiser said:

At least in Canada, if airline operational issues (not weather) cause flight cancellation or delays, you may well be entitled to monetary compensation.

59 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

In the UK a flight only have to be delayed for 3 plus hours to be entitled to compensation, it does not need to be cancelled.

I thought this topic was about the reported poor service standards on board the first two Voyager cruises following restart.

Not sure how we have drifted into the unrelated subject of compensation for delayed flights.

Yes, "thread-drift" seemingly began with post # 209, above, and a very selective quoted portion from my earlier post # 208. Thus, to return to the "subject at hand", and also to respond to Flossie, who seemingly wondered if the cruises in question were cancelled or delayed, no, not to my knowledge.

Yet, I dare say that most Regent cruisers do not solely or mainly cruise to get from Point A to Point B.  Rather, I submit that most people cruise nowadays, as opposed to 70 + years ago when cruising was mainly a means of transportation between continents, for the ambience of it, as well as to experience new or favoured ports/locations. As the many prior posts discuss, the ambience on the prior Voyager cruises was very poor--unless you enjoy waiting three hours for, as one other poster described it, congealed pasta?? 

While reasonable folk may reasonably disagree about what and how compensation is owed (FCC vs. cash), I find it hard to imagine that any reasonable person would not expect some form of compensation if they were to experience what the original posters described in this thread. I know that I would not be happy, and nor would be my wife.

As an earlier poster also noted, its when things go wrong that demonstrates the good operators from those who do not care. Errors occur, unfortunately, and stuff can happen (for whatever reason).  Yet when it does, a smart operator, hoping to recover customer goodwill, makes it right. That never goes out of style, in my view.    

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, ON cruiser said:

Yes, "thread-drift" seemingly began with post # 209, above, and a very selective quoted portion from my earlier post # 208. Thus, to return to the "subject at hand", and also to respond to Flossie, who seemingly wondered if the cruises in question were cancelled or delayed, no, not to my knowledge.

Actually, with all due respect, the "thread drift" began in your answer to me in post 208 when you stated "if airline operational issues (not weather) cause flight cancellation or delays, you may well be entitled to monetary compensation."  I was going to point out what Flossie pointed out, that this was never about anything more than satisfaction in regards to meals (mostly).   To draw on your comment, it would be like someone wanting compensation because the airline food or service was not up to their expectations.  

But as mentioned, it appears from all reports that the "issues" have been worked out or are, at least, working out.  Current reports have people quite happy with Voyager on the current cruise.  So it may be tine to move on. 😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

I thought this topic was about the reported poor service standards on board the first two Voyager cruises following restart.

Not sure how we have drifted into the unrelated subject of compensation for delayed flights.

Excuse me, i just responded to your post 209. You where the one talking about cancelled cruises in response to ON cruiser post, i was explaining to your point that you do not have to have cancelled cruises / flights to obtain compensation.

I do agree however as we are all now home from the first 2 cruises, perhaps it is now time move on and look into CJANDH thread Voyager cruise 3.

Edited by seasickphil
Update

I  am also content to let the earlier objective postings speak for themselves, so others can judge where the thread-drift began, as well as can figure out who was being snide and disingenuous, and who was not.

More importantly, I hope those on the first couple of voyages on Voyager receive fair compensation for the sad shortcomings (that some people, for reasons unclear, still try to minimize) they experienced. 

Wishing all smooth seas, on whichever lines they choose to sail going forward. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, seasickphil said:

Excuse me, i just responded to your post 209

Sorry @seasickphil. It was not my intention to upset you; just wanted to keep the topic focussed on the unacceptable service shortcomings that you and other guests experienced.
I obviously failed miserably.

2 hours ago, seasickphil said:

I do agree however as we are all now home from the first 2 cruises, perhaps it is now time move on and look into CJANDH thread Voyager cruise 3.

Agreed

We have three of THE MOST expensive cruises we've ever booked coming up on Regent through early January 2023 sailing 43 nights.  I would definitely be extremely upset if I received a Celebrity quality cruise or lower while paying the Regent fare. I don't mind stepping up for the expected quality. However if they fail to deliver I can certainly understand how the earlier posters feel about not receiving adequate compensation.

Does anyone know how the sailings have been recently on Navigator, Mariner and Splendor?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

….
Does anyone know how the sailings have been recently on Navigator, Mariner and Splendor?

Maybe you should follow the recent blogs/reports on the Navigator and the Splendor on this board. Mariner is still on the changed “world cruise”. One person is reporting every so often that things are well there also. I wish we were on one! 

Edited by cwn

17 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

this was never about anything more than satisfaction in regards to meals (mostly).

Trust me this was more than satisfaction about meals, but more than happy to close this now and I will carry on waiting to hear back from Regent on my thoughts. 

• Like 4

I read Cruise Critic posts to gain information from people who cruise.  It has always been very helpful to me.

This thread keeps going all over they place and people keep pulling it back.  I really think this is about what cruisers experienced on a cruise that ended in Lisbon.  There were some interesting posts about bad service, cold food, etc, etc which is concerning.  However on the thread for Voyager Cruise #3 there is a post (Post 11) from someone who just got off the ship in Lisbon and said they had "a very good cruise"

I guess it would be interesting to hear more first hand accounts of what passengers experienced.

4 hours ago, mj_holiday said:

I really think this is about what cruisers experienced on a cruise that ended in Lisbon. 

This thread covers the two cruises immediately after Voyager's re-start.

March 26, Rome to Barcelona and April 5, Barcelona to Lisbon

4 hours ago, mj_holiday said:

I guess it would be interesting to hear more first hand accounts of what passengers experienced.

Further comments from those on board each of the cruises can be found on the relevant Roll Calls.

3 hours ago, scottie920 said:

Sorry if it has been asked before, but where did you address your complaint to. I was on the Barcelona to Lisbon cruise and encountered a few issues on service and quality. Thank you.

Just out of curiosity, did you raise these issues with anyone on board during your cruise?  I've found that when things aren't up to snuff a quick chat with the GM or similar can usually get it resolved quickly.

On 4/16/2022 at 3:53 AM, Boatmans Lady said:

I'd just like to put a different spin on it. When you book a cruise, you enter into a contract and one of Regents promises is "an unrivalled experience" 

I haven't read through any of our travel contracts with Regent lately but I'm reasonably confident there's no mention of "an unrivalled experience" in their contract.  We shouldn't confuse marketing buzzwords with contract deliverables.

In fact, the contract would be a good place to start if you really want to pursue complaints.  I don't think that the contract specifies actual dining times or food temperatures...and although those factors would definitely contribute to "an unrivalled experience" I don't think they're legally enforceable.

But I'm not a lawyer, so...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Just out of curiosity, did you raise these issues with anyone on board during your cruise?  I've found that when things aren't up to snuff a quick chat with the GM or similar can usually get it resolved quickly.

Perfect advice. Go to the GM, fill out a mid-cruise comment card - keep a photocopy of it and mail it in to Corporate after the cruise.