ArriveCan Questions

Italy52

I've seen no discussion of the procedure is entering Canada at Halifax. 

It's our 1st POC on a TA next month, the 4th day of the cruise.  I could not isolate Halifax in the mass of ports on the ArriveCA map/site.

I'm hoping that Princess has someone to help me in the Internet Cafe on May 27!

22 hours ago, DRS/NC said:

I've seen no discussion of the procedure is entering Canada at Halifax. 

It's our 1st POC on a TA next month, the 4th day of the cruise.  I could not isolate Halifax in the mass of ports on the ArriveCA map/site.

I'm hoping that Princess has someone to help me in the Internet Cafe on May 27!

I am on a TA leaving Thursday stopping in Halifax. You have to complete the form before boarding. Use “Halifax Marine Terminal” as the port. 

The 72 hours needed for the arrive CAN  our ship leaves Wed Aug 2022 . we are arring in Vancouver Sun before our sail date . do I have to do the arriveCAN before we get to Vancouver or  72 hours before we sail on Wed  ?? Thanks 

51 minutes ago, mom says said:

You have to complete the ArriveCan  and have the receipt before you arrive in Canada.

Yes, you will need to show the QR code that you will receive after completing the ArriveCan form, in order to start the embarkation process for your cruise

There was a post yesterday on RC blog saying they needed to do ArriveCAN before their flight into Vancouver and then AGAIN at the Port before boarding the ship. Even though the ship was leaving Canada going to Alaska. They said it was a new/unknown requirement and it was a bit chaotic as no one knew it had to be twice. The second time they needed to fill out the marine travel form and enter all the dates of the cruise not just the first day. Sounds like they managed to get it done. I suggest reading the post. Of course the requirements could change. I will be testing them out myself in two weeks! https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/

• Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 9:34 PM, Traveller20074 said:

so, 4 days ahead.  I will be ON the cruise.  do they give you a form to fill out?

Hi, same for me.......I am doing a land trip to Denali first and then taking the cruise and disembarking in Vancouver. So, 4 days before the end of the trip, I will be in Alaska on the ship.

It looks like the second form is actually for your return to Canada (if doing the Vancouver round trip) but you need to fill it out before departure on the cruise. Perhaps this is because some people may not have internet/phone on the cruise to complete it before returning to port, so it kinda makes sense. I am not sure if this will apply even if you are doing a one-way from Vancouver to Seward/Whittier, but it looks like they will just tell you at port when boarding. I would definitely have the app on my phone though, rather than trying to do the web-version.

This whole ArriveCan thing is confusing. I am getting on cruise that starts in Sitka and ends in Vancouver.  Do I have to get my ArriveCan before I board the ship in Sitka or before I disembark in Vancouver.  Also, does the "within 72 hours" mean that I have to submit my request more than 72 hours before I board or closer than 72 hours (i.e.; 60 hours for example) of when I either board or arrive in Canada.

DON

Its very simple and easy.

Fill it in with your vaccination information, passport number, etc. right now; then within 72 hours of arrival you can go back in and add your arrival information.

Its not rocket science!

5 hours ago, cruiseryyc said:

Its very simple and easy.

Fill it in with your vaccination information, passport number, etc. right now; then within 72 hours of arrival you can go back in and add your arrival information.

Its not rocket science!

The homepage certainly looks confusing to me😲......guess I am not as bright as some folks and I will not be entering Canada until disembarkation so I will be on the ship 72 hours before getting off.

16 hours ago, Lois R said:

The homepage certainly looks confusing to me😲......guess I am not as bright as some folks and I will not be entering Canada until disembarkation so I will be on the ship 72 hours before getting off.

As has been broadly reported, including from folks working the piers, so you can assume it's as close to gospel as any piece of info gets - you need to show the receipt from your completed ArriveCAN at boarding. This is because ArriveCAN is the tool chosen by our gov't to track vaxx status of all pax onboard ships - it doesn't matter when during the journey the ship enters our waters, even just for a token technical stop to meet PVSA requirements with nobody permanently disembarking, the data is transferred to ensure that the ship meets our rules of all pax 12years+ being double-vaxxed. No ArriveCAN, no boarding!

When you fill it out correctly, you get a very obvious confirmation receipt that includes a QR code (one of those weird black & white patterned squares that Smartphones can read) and a letter code - that's the thing you need to display to pier staff. A printed result is also allowed, but since you'll be on your land portion first it might be a hassle getting access to a computer and printer - I'm sure at least some of the included hotels/lodges will have a business centre, but if you have your own smartphone/tablet that can run the app that's one less thing to worry about.

The 72 hour limit has also been unofficially relaxed just for marine entries - again, multiple reports confirm that successful completion which produces the expected receipt with QR code 4 days in advance rather than 3 if you have chosen arrival by water (land and air remain with a firm 72 hour cap in advance).

Since you will still need to do the final part while on vacation, I suggest downloading the app and getting stuck into all the unchanging data ASAP so you can familiarise yourself with the app! As soon as you hit 96 hours pre-ship-departing-from-Sitka-time, log back in and complete the time-specific info.

I just returned from a cruise out of Seattle, so I can provide info specific to those itineraries.  You absolutely have to have the ArriveCan complete prior to boarding.  They will check it and if you don't have it, you'll need to step out of line and get it done.  At the time I checked in, I saw about a half dozen people kicked out of line to go download the app and get their info entered.  

That was the only time it was checked.  There was no check when we entered Victoria.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martincath said:

As has been broadly reported, including from folks working the piers, so you can assume it's as close to gospel as any piece of info gets - you need to show the receipt from your completed ArriveCAN at boarding. This is because ArriveCAN is the tool chosen by our gov't to track vaxx status of all pax onboard ships - it doesn't matter when during the journey the ship enters our waters, even just for a token technical stop to meet PVSA requirements with nobody permanently disembarking, the data is transferred to ensure that the ship meets our rules of all pax 12years+ being double-vaxxed. No ArriveCAN, no boarding!

When you fill it out correctly, you get a very obvious confirmation receipt that includes a QR code (one of those weird black & white patterned squares that Smartphones can read) and a letter code - that's the thing you need to display to pier staff. A printed result is also allowed, but since you'll be on your land portion first it might be a hassle getting access to a computer and printer - I'm sure at least some of the included hotels/lodges will have a business centre, but if you have your own smartphone/tablet that can run the app that's one less thing to worry about.

The 72 hour limit has also been unofficially relaxed just for marine entries - again, multiple reports confirm that successful completion which produces the expected receipt with QR code 4 days in advance rather than 3 if you have chosen arrival by water (land and air remain with a firm 72 hour cap in advance).

Since you will still need to do the final part while on vacation, I suggest downloading the app and getting stuck into all the unchanging data ASAP so you can familiarise yourself with the app! As soon as you hit 96 hours pre-ship-departing-from-Sitka-time, log back in and complete the time-specific info.

I am boarding the ship in the USA........in ALASKA.....maybe I didn't read the entire website correctly.  So the thing has to be filled out even if sailing out of here..........? Paul, even sailing from here? As long as you are sailing anywhere in Canada, you have to fill out the paperwork before you leave? Makes no sense to me.  I guess I will have to re-read everything.

18 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I am boarding the ship in the USA........in ALASKA.....maybe I didn't read the entire website correctly.  So the thing has to be filled out even if sailing out of here..........? Paul, even sailing from here? As long as you are sailing anywhere in Canada, you have to fill out the paperwork before you leave? Makes no sense to me.  I guess I will have to re-read everything.

It's the exact same principle as boarding a plane to (insert almost any foreign country) - while you might formally go through immigration on arrival, folks on the ground at the departure airport usually check you have your passport before you board to make sure you can gain entry at the other end... even doing 'paperwork' online has been normalized for years with US ESTA, Canadian eTA, New Zealand, UK, Australia etc.

37 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Paul, even sailing from here? As long as you are sailing anywhere in Canada, you have to fill out the paperwork before you leave? Makes no sense to me.  I guess I will have to re-read everything.

Hi Lois!  I hope all is well with you. 🙂

Yes, it is required that you complete it within 72 hours of boarding a ship that is destined for a Canadian port.  

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Hi Lois!  I hope all is well with you. 🙂

Yes, it is required that you complete it within 72 hours of boarding a ship that is destined for a Canadian port.  

Hi Paul, thanks for the kind reply. I started the process now on my laptop.  Not sure how I am going to complete it. I guess via my phone? I am going be in Denali National Park 4 days before I board the ship in Anchorage. I am not sailing until the end of August.

56 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Paul, thanks for the kind reply. I started the process now on my laptop.  Not sure how I am going to complete it. I guess via my phone? I am going be in Denali National Park 4 days before I board the ship in Anchorage. I am not sailing until the end of August.

In your case, since you'll be vacationing in AK prior to cruise (which is awesome, by the way), I definitely recommend doing it via the app.  Just download the app on to your phone and you can update it any time in the days prior to your sailing.  Don't sweat it too much.  It's easy.  It's something you can do when settling down one evening, or while eating breakfast.  

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

In your case, since you'll be vacationing in AK prior to cruise (which is awesome, by the way), I definitely recommend doing it via the app.  Just download the app on to your phone and you can update it any time in the days prior to your sailing.  Don't sweat it too much.  It's easy.  It's something you can do when settling down one evening, or while eating breakfast.  

Thanks again so very much🙂

On 5/2/2022 at 6:03 PM, donaldsc said:

This whole ArriveCan thing is confusing. I am getting on cruise that starts in Sitka and ends in Vancouver.  Do I have to get my ArriveCan before I board the ship in Sitka or before I disembark in Vancouver.  Also, does the "within 72 hours" mean that I have to submit my request more than 72 hours before I board or closer than 72 hours (i.e.; 60 hours for example) of when I either board or arrive in Canada.

DON

I'm totally confused too.  it's driving me crazy actually