Naturalist OnBoard?

5waldos

We will be sailing from Vancouver to Seward mid summer. I have done this 3 previous times with 3 different cruise lines and all had a naturalist onboard to educate us as we traveled.The good ones spent time as we cruised in particularly interesting spots to point out special features and also spot wildlife. I don't see it mentioned on the Celebrity website (although I certainly could have missed it) and wonder if anyone knows if they have a naturalist and if they do, how good are they? It really makes a difference to have someone helping to identify what we should be watching for. 

(By naturalist I mean someone who studies nature- NOT the other kind!)

Edited by 5waldos
  • Haha 1

Just now, jelayne said:

We had one for our Alaska cruise, he was excellent. 

Thanks- I was hoping to hear that. We have had both excellent and all but non-existent ones on various cruises. A good one adds so much to the trip.

As you get closer to sailing the app may have "Beyond the Podium" events listed... I would be surprised if they did not have a naturalist doing the lectures... but the calendar may not be updated for a while..but check periodically.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

At first I thought you said naturist and I thought this was going to be another long thread about dress codes.

We once docked in Puerto Rico next to a clothing-optional ship, but have never seen a naturalist on board.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, 5waldos said:

We will be sailing from Vancouver to Seward mid summer. I have done this 3 previous times with 3 different cruise lines and all had a naturalist onboard to educate us as we traveled.The good ones spent time as we cruised in particularly interesting spots to point out special features and also spot wildlife. I don't see it mentioned on the Celebrity website (although I certainly could have missed it) and wonder if anyone knows if they have a naturalist and if they do, how good are they? It really makes a difference to have someone helping to identify what we should be watching for. 

(By naturalist I mean someone who studies nature- NOT the other kind!)

Milos Radakovich used to do the Millennium Vancouver-Seward-Vancouver itineraries; I don't know if he will be back or not. If you are lucky, he will be!

Stan

1 hour ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Milos Radakovich used to do the Millennium Vancouver-Seward-Vancouver itineraries; I don't know if he will be back or not. If you are lucky, he will be!

Stan

We enjoyed Milos too.  We have had him both in Alaska and in South America.

We were on the Millennium last September on a B2B set of Alaska cruises.  Brent Nixon and his wife Mary Amanda were onboard at that time.  

But to the OP -- on Celebrity Alaska cruises there will be a naturalist.

We were on a Caribbean cruise 2 weeks ago (Silhouette) and there were no special speakers. I was very disappointed. They had someone to describe the excursions, but they mostly just pointed out the shopping areas and beaches. I don't know why the cruise line thinks that cruisers going to beachy destinations have no interest in educational speakers. I am not one to bake in the sun and drink excessively and I still enjoyed the islands that I would have loved some more information about.