Insurance requirements for P&O?

james95

Hi all,

I am new to cruising, and have just paid for a Baltic cruise in August with P&O for me and my partner (for their 30th birthday present).

I am a little confused by P&O's travel insurance requirements - maybe because I'm new to cruising, but there's lots of specific terminology and it just seems to confuse me and I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

I have done some research on insurance comparison sites and found a policy by coverforyou.com. I've attached the policy documents that came with the quote. Does anyone know if this meets all of P&O's specific requirements? Namely:

• cover for emergency evacuations and medical expenses related to COVID-19
  • cover for repatriation, cancellation and curtailment including in the event of you contracting COVID-19 as certified by a Medical Practitioner and possibly, if deemed medically necessary, have to leave the ship due to a medical emergency

Thank you!

policywording-cfu-msm-AXA-XM24.pdf important-information-coronavirus-cover-latest (1).pdf ipid-cfu-msm-standard-st-safi-v13.pdf

2 hours ago, james95 said:

Hi all,

I am new to cruising, and have just paid for a Baltic cruise in August with P&O for me and my partner (for their 30th birthday present).

I am a little confused by P&O's travel insurance requirements - maybe because I'm new to cruising, but there's lots of specific terminology and it just seems to confuse me and I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

I have done some research on insurance comparison sites and found a policy by coverforyou.com. I've attached the policy documents that came with the quote. Does anyone know if this meets all of P&O's specific requirements? Namely:

• cover for emergency evacuations and medical expenses related to COVID-19
  • cover for repatriation, cancellation and curtailment including in the event of you contracting COVID-19 as certified by a Medical Practitioner and possibly, if deemed medically necessary, have to leave the ship due to a medical emergency

Thank you!

policywording-cfu-msm-AXA-XM24.pdf 1.02 MB · 3 downloads important-information-coronavirus-cover-latest (1).pdf 45.24 kB · 0 downloads ipid-cfu-msm-standard-st-safi-v13.pdf 137.38 kB · 1 download

My in laws are just back off Iona. I helped them arrange a new annual policy before they left and it’s with cover for you. Was absolutely fine they seemed to make it there with no issues! It’s underwritten by Axa, so big insurance firm, which made me feel confident using it. So I reckon you should be fine

Hi eveyone! Could someone clarify the insurance requirements for P&O for me?

I know there needs to be Covid-19 cover (medical expenses/repatriation/curtailment etc), but what about pre-existing medical conditions?

My dad has a condition being investigated, and some insurance providers are refusing to cover him altogether. Some specifically will cover covid-19 or "new" conditions or accidents etc but not any pre-existing medical conditions. Im not sure of this is enough for p&o? 

https://www.pocruises.com/travel-insurance

This suggests its enough but im sure I read another page on p&o a few days ago (I can no longer find it!) that mentioned you must also have cover for pre-existing medical conditions

Grateful if anyone could shed some light?

42 minutes ago, CamillaJia said:

I know there needs to be Covid-19 cover (medical expenses/repatriation/curtailment etc), but what about pre-existing medical conditions?

My dad has a condition being investigated, and some insurance providers are refusing to cover him altogether. Some specifically will cover covid-19 or "new" conditions or accidents etc but not any pre-existing medical conditions. Im not sure of this is enough for p&o? 

This suggests its enough but im sure I read another page on p&o a few days ago (I can no longer find it!) that mentioned you must also have cover for pre-existing medical conditions

All travel insurance requires you to provide pre-existing conditions if you have any, otherwise your claim will be rejected and could leave you with a big bill.

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

All travel insurance requires you to provide pre-existing conditions if you have any, otherwise your claim will be rejected and could leave you with a big bill.

They will be declared but not covered by the insurance, that's why I'm asking about what P&O need. This was with staysure. Holiday Extras refused to provide cover at all.

2 minutes ago, CamillaJia said:

They will be declared but not covered by the insurance, that's why I'm asking about what P&O need. This was with staysure. Holiday Extras refused to provide cover at all.

If your insurer wont cover your existing conditions, then I would think carefully about whether you want to cruise, or go on any holiday. Of course if you are happy enough to cover your own risks then that's your decision.

Just now, terrierjohn said:

If your insurer wont cover your existing conditions, then I would think carefully about whether you want to cruise, or go on any holiday. Of course if you are happy enough to cover your own risks then that's your decision.

But what is P&Os position? Do they require insurance cover for pre-existing conditions? (Im leaning towards probably) In which case I need to find a different insurer to staysure.

The reason they don't provide cover is because its an undiagnosed condition (being investigated) so they can't cover something they don't know the risks for.

My second question is.. has anyone found an insurer that will provide insurance if you're still awaiting a diagnosis (if not for the undiagnosed condition itself, for other pre existing medical conditions) or is this unlikely?

15 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

To answer the question, this is the first time we've ever got/needed insurance for a trip so willing to risk it (depending on what his condition is like closer to the time!) But our accepted risk vs what P&O require might be different.

16 minutes ago, CamillaJia said:

But what is P&Os position? Do they require insurance cover for pre-existing conditions? (Im leaning towards probably) In which case I need to find a different insurer to staysure.

The reason they don't provide cover is because its an undiagnosed condition (being investigated) so they can't cover something they don't know the risks for.

My second question is.. has anyone found an insurer that will provide insurance if you're still awaiting a diagnosis (if not for the undiagnosed condition itself, for other pre existing medical conditions) or is this unlikely?

I dont think you will find any insurance to cover undiagnosed conditions, unfortunately.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CamillaJia said:

To answer the question, this is the first time we've ever got/needed insurance for a trip so willing to risk it (depending on what his condition is like closer to the time!) But our accepted risk vs what P&O require might be different.

Whilst this is an extremely negative comment, the worst case scenario you are risking is the cost of a helicopter to evacuate someone should they become seriously unwell.  That risk could be tens of thousands of pounds.

All highly unlikely, but it does happen fairly regularly.  

• Like 2

Hi Camilla 

Unfortunately even saga won’t cover until diagnosis.-it is in questions and answers on their website—  if they won’t cover then I don’t think anyone will.

as said already it is approx £25k to evacuate someone from ship then medical bills on top.

Really not cheap and it does happen.

On 4/12/2022 at 11:07 PM, CamillaJia said:

There was a long thread on this a few months ago. Megabear did sterling work. We used goodtogo as DW was awaiting a procedure. As you say, many just said no.

I used Staysure for my annual policy this year, I was undergoing investigation for   undiagnosed illness, I explained to Staysure and they were fine, of course my policy went up 60% to £302 which to be fair didn't seem too bad.

https://www.staysure.co.uk/medical-travel-insurance/awaiting-surgery/

On 4/12/2022 at 10:17 PM, CamillaJia said:

CamillaJia, 

re your dad being investigated, I personally was under medical investigation and could not get travel insurance cover. Once I had the surgery paid inflated premiums for 3 years and now accepted with normal age and inflation related premiums. Seriously consider your dad not cruising as medical costs abroad are horrendous. Disappointing I know  and sorry to say this to you.   

On 4/12/2022 at 11:32 PM, CamillaJia said:

CamillaJia, 

Presume  you live in UK and use NHS. People have no idea about the price of health care, many £k, and somebody mentioned helo evacuation saw one from QM2 in English channel sailing from Le Havre to New York (2019)  1 x out of 11 cruises, and I am sure people on Cruise Critic boards will tell stories re helo evacuations. Not worth the risk that you want to take.