Be careful of testing requirements!!

When the border between Qld and Southern States first opened, they i nitially required a negative test before entry into Qld. This meant that you could freely travel say to Melbourne and return home without quarantine IF you tested negative before coming home. We waited for this final testing requirement to be eliminated before we visited family down South. Too risky to get stuck in NSW or have to go into Qld quarantine. 

It seems that Cunard (at least) are now requiring negative tests before boarding - who knows how long this requirement will last but it brings up the same possible complications that the former requirement for testing at the Qld Border introduced.  Fly somewhere to board a ship - and then get refused boarding permission. Think about this possibility before booking cruises, especially overseas departures. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bazzaw said:

When the border between Qld and Southern States first opened, they i nitially required a negative test before entry into Qld. This meant that you could freely travel say to Melbourne and return home without quarantine IF you tested negative before coming home. We waited for this final testing requirement to be eliminated before we visited family down South. Too risky to get stuck in NSW or have to go into Qld quarantine. 

It seems that Cunard (at least) are now requiring negative tests before boarding - who knows how long this requirement will last but it brings up the same possible complications that the former requirement for testing at the Qld Border introduced.  Fly somewhere to board a ship - and then get refused boarding permission. Think about this possibility before booking cruises, especially overseas departures. 

mmmmm well our next cruises as Melbournians are out of Brisbane (June 22), then sydney (Oct 22) followed by one out of Melbourne Feb 23 . So I'm thinking in the couple of weeks prior to especially the June one (as one would hope all things covid would settle as time goes on) we will keep pretty much to ourselves to get that all clear.

Cunard, and all the other lines, have that policy to alert passengers prior to or at the time of booking that this is a requirement. While they would suggest it is to protect their crew and other passengers, it is mandated by the ports they visit.

The pre-boarding requirements are set by governments around the world that have jurisdiction over the relevant port. These differ, and are subject to change, but all of the main cruise markets do require a pre-embark test. These have been required since the restart around the world, and are slowly becoming less restrictive.

For now, NSW/QLD/VIC have only announced that pre-embark testing will be required, but they are yet to specify how close to boarding these need to be done, even to the point that conducting them at the the terminal may be a possibility. In our case, we are travelling to Brisbane & back, and may also require a test to get off in Brisbane and may require a test when we get back to Sydney. We wont know for sure until the states announce this, and it might only be a requirement if the yellow flag is flying when we dock. If there are cases aboard, current NSW guidelines would have us isolating at home till we can produce a negative RAT.

In addition, it looks like all port visits may only allow passengers ashore for controlled ship tours.

We pretty much knew all this before we booked on the first cruise out, and I think the potential restrictions and risks have been accepted by anyone who has recently booked on cruises for this season. No flights for us, but a night booked in Sydney. It used to be my greatest fear that we would arrive at the pier to find we had left our passports at home. This is replaced by the possibility of testing positive at the pier. I hope a 24 to 48hr negative test will be acceptable, but we don't know that yet. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

mmmmm well our next cruises as Melbournians are out of Brisbane (June 22), then sydney (Oct 22) followed by one out of Melbourne Feb 23 . So I'm thinking in the couple of weeks prior to especially the June one (as one would hope all things covid would settle as time goes on) we will keep pretty much to ourselves to get that all clear.

You mentioned previously that you are coming to Brisbane to stay with friends for a few days before the first of your b2b2b cruises. Maybe it would be a good idea to do a RAT test before you leave home. At least you will know you are clear at that point unless you had just picked up the virus.

57 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Cunard, and all the other lines, have that policy to alert passengers prior to or at the time of booking that this is a requirement. While they would suggest it is to protect their crew and other passengers, it is mandated by the ports they visit.

The pre-boarding requirements are set by governments around the world that have jurisdiction over the relevant port. These differ, and are subject to change, but all of the main cruise markets do require a pre-embark test. These have been required since the restart around the world, and are slowly becoming less restrictive.

For now, NSW/QLD/VIC have only announced that pre-embark testing will be required, but they are yet to specify how close to boarding these need to be done, even to the point that conducting them at the the terminal may be a possibility. In our case, we are travelling to Brisbane & back, and may also require a test to get off in Brisbane and may require a test when we get back to Sydney. We wont know for sure until the states announce this, and it might only be a requirement if the yellow flag is flying when we dock. If there are cases aboard, current NSW guidelines would have us isolating at home till we can produce a negative RAT.

In addition, it looks like all port visits may only allow passengers ashore for controlled ship tours.

We pretty much knew all this before we booked on the first cruise out, and I think the potential restrictions and risks have been accepted by anyone who has recently booked on cruises for this season. No flights for us, but a night booked in Sydney. It used to be my greatest fear that we would arrive at the pier to find we had left our passports at home. This is replaced by the possibility of testing positive at the pier. I hope a 24 to 48hr negative test will be acceptable, but we don't know that yet. 

Just following this post. Can I ask you, where did you get the information re only going ashore if you have a ships tour? I have been desperately trying to find this out if the last few days prior to us confirming a cruise on 14th June. P&O are unable to give me a direct answer and this does raise a red flag and said they would get back to me.  TA has no idea. I do understand this, but for us it will not work as we  booked this cruise as it

has an overnight stay in Cairns and we wish to visit family. Any information would be appreciated, as I am required to pay by next week.

I believe that eventually this testing regime will go away 🙂  - but in the meantime, for us, it is a deal breaker for any overseas bookings. Actually, it is also a deal breaker for me in regard to Aus based cruises involving interstate travel too - except that our next cruise will be paid for using  Cunard's money and this will be our only opportunity to use it because of the limited time QE will be here during the summer season so am prepared to accept the risk.  

Edited by bazzaw

19 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Just following this post. Can I ask you, where did you get the information re only going ashore if you have a ships tour? I have been desperately trying to find this out if the last few days prior to us confirming a cruise on 14th June. P&O are unable to give me a direct answer and this does raise a red flag and said they would get back to me.  TA has no idea. I do understand this, but for us it will not work as we  booked this cruise as it

has an overnight stay in Cairns and we wish to visit family. Any information would be appreciated, as I am required to pay by next week.

Specific info just isn't out there yet apart from double vaxxed and a negative test prior to embarking. I reckon P&O don't know because the detail hasn't been decided by the states yet.

From what I can see, NSW/QLD/VIC are very much aligned on what they have announced so far. NSW has communicated a wee more detail, which was posted on another thread here recently. I would expect VIC & QLD to be similar as the details roll out. Plain sailing for cruise ships as industry set to return to NSW waters | NSW Government

It is all very broad though. Don't know if domestic passengers are treated differently to overseas visitors. Don't know if the rules are more relaxed when visiting a port if there is no known infections aboard. Don't know if they treat a city port differently to a regional one. When they started the restriction on tours overseas, it was mostly about protecting the ship from a passenger bringing it aboard, but it looks like our states are looking at the reverse.

I hope the dust has settled a bit more before your final is due.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Specific info just isn't out there yet apart from double vaxxed and a negative test prior to embarking. I reckon P&O don't know because the detail hasn't been decided by the states yet.

From what I can see, NSW/QLD/VIC are very much aligned on what they have announced so far. NSW has communicated a wee more detail, which was posted on another thread here recently. I would expect VIC & QLD to be similar as the details roll out. Plain sailing for cruise ships as industry set to return to NSW waters | NSW Government

It is all very broad though. Don't know if domestic passengers are treated differently to overseas visitors. Don't know if the rules are more relaxed when visiting a port if there is no known infections aboard. Don't know if they treat a city port differently to a regional one. When they started the restriction on tours overseas, it was mostly about protecting the ship from a passenger bringing it aboard, but it looks like our states are looking at the reverse.

I hope the dust has settled a bit more before your final is due.

Totally agree. I have also reached out to NSW and QLD Governments for an answer (I know good luck with an answer😩) but it is quite concerning when P&O management say…..I will get back to you! Our next cruises don’t start till October and I am sure it will be all sorted by then, but this one was just a spur of the moment thing to be in Cairns over a weekend. If anyone hears, I hope they can post please. As I said final payment is Wednesday and I will not have another cent in a FCC from anyone.

If all fails we will fly to Cairns for the weekend and not have to have any restrictions, although a cruise would have been nice.

Also, is it going to be a negative PCR or will a RAT suffice?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, resordanis said:

Totally agree. I have also reached out to NSW and QLD Governments for an answer (I know good luck with an answer😩) but it is quite concerning when P&O management say…..I will get back to you! Our next cruises don’t start till October and I am sure it will be all sorted by then, but this one was just a spur of the moment thing to be in Cairns over a weekend. If anyone hears, I hope they can post please. As I said final payment is Wednesday and I will not have another cent in a FCC from anyone.

If all fails we will fly to Cairns for the weekend and not have to have any restrictions, although a cruise would have been nice.

I feel your pain. I have taken a leap of faith hoping it will all be sorted by the time we cruise on 31st May. 

We only have some loose plans in Brisbane to catch up with some cruise buddies at a cafe in Brisbane. Even if they allow us do our own thing via a negative RAT in Brisbane, we will just stay on the ship and keep our cash in our pocket - very different for you in Cairns. Still, we have paid in full, so frustrating not knowing.

I am pretty sure RAT testing will be accepted, as it has become the norm for all other travel within Australia. It may not be 100%, but is quick and reliable. It will be a supervised RAT though, but these are becoming available from chemists all over, at least in NSW.

I am happy to share any of the hoops we have to jump through as we encounter them, but realise that will be too late for you.

12 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I feel your pain. I have taken a leap of faith hoping it will all be sorted by the time we cruise on 31st May. 

We only have some loose plans in Brisbane to catch up with some cruise buddies at a cafe in Brisbane. Even if they allow us do our own thing via a negative RAT in Brisbane, we will just stay on the ship and keep our cash in our pocket - very different for you in Cairns. Still, we have paid in full, so frustrating not knowing.

I am pretty sure RAT testing will be accepted, as it has become the norm for all other travel within Australia. It may not be 100%, but is quick and reliable. It will be a supervised RAT though, but these are becoming available from chemists all over, at least in NSW.

I am happy to share any of the hoops we have to jump through as we encounter them, but realise that will be too late for you.

Thanks. I have had a glimmer of hope. P&O have contacted me via my messenger to say we will be allowed to go ashore on our own, but I did contact the CEO yesterday and I did not get a positive answer, so will be waiting for her reply before paying! Not the end of the world as we can fly up! Just don’t want to pay and then find out I am stuck on the ship in Cairns, as having been there many, many times a shore excursion is not for us!

• Like 2

The statement from NSW included the following:

Covid safe plans will be developed for all shore excursions, which will consider the specific needs of local communities, particularly regional communities;

I cannot see that restriction meaning that passengers won't be allowed to go ashore in Brisbane (for instance) where people can freely cross the border. I doubt it would even include Australian ports at all unless the relevant state government insists on it. However, these governments have to consider the economic impact on their regional towns if passengers can only go ashore in a ship-organised tour. The only people to benefit financially from that are the tour operators.

9 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Covid safe plans will be developed for all shore excursions, which will consider the specific needs of local communities, particularly regional communities;

I cannot see that restriction meaning that passengers won't be allowed to go ashore in Brisbane (for instance) where people can freely cross the border. I doubt it would even include Australian ports at all unless the relevant state government insists on it. However, these governments have to consider the economic impact on their regional towns if passengers can only go ashore in a ship-organised tour. The only people to benefit financially from that are the tour operators.

Plus it will be a bit ridiculous if they do mandate ship tours only for domestic ports. Anyone from anywhere in Australia can fly or drive to those ports, no tests or restrictions required. But arrive on a cruise ship? No, no, we can't have that, you might contaminate us! 🙄

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Totally agree, it is just concerning that neither the TA or the CEO can give me a definite answer. I certainly understand it we were going to the Pacific islands on one of the first cruises, this might be the case, but not into QLD. All I get told is “good question, I will get back to you”

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

Plus it will be a bit ridiculous if they do mandate ship tours only. Anyone from anywhere in Australia can fly or drive to those ports, no tests or restrictions required. But arrive on a cruise ship? No, no, we can't have that, you might contaminate us! 🙄

That is my thinking also. I see that clause as a way to restrict movement ashore in vulnerable island communities. After all, Cairns isn't any more vulnerable than Brisbane or Sydney.

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

That is my thinking also. I see that clause as a way to restrict movement ashore in vulnerable island communities. After all, Cairns isn't any more vulnerable than Brisbane or Sydney.

Exactly! 

That is all good commonsense, and I hope that is the norm when everything has been decided.

But we are talking about what governments are going to require from cruise lines they don't yet trust. And then if the onus goes onto cruise lines to develop the covid safe plans for shore excursions, they are only going to develop them for their approved tours. 

The protocols so far have followed along the same lines as restarts overseas. That included cruises where you could only disembark for a ship excursion in some ports.

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

That is all good commonsense, and I hope that is the norm when everything has been decided.

But we are talking about what governments are going to require from cruise lines they don't yet trust. And then if the onus goes onto cruise lines to develop the covid safe plans for shore excursions, they are only going to develop them for their approved tours. 

The protocols so far have followed along the same lines as restarts overseas. That included cruises where you could only disembark for a ship excursion in some ports.

I feel that if passengers can't go ashore independently in the first few cruises, the cruiselines will experience a reduction in bookings and possibly some cancellations. The idea of restricting pax to ship-operated tours has a major problem - the tours cannot accommodate everyone on board. The result is unhappy pax, not something the cruise lines want.

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I feel that if passengers can't go ashore independently in the first few cruises, the cruiselines will experience a reduction in bookings and possibly some cancellations. The idea of restricting pax to ship-operated tours has a major problem - the tours cannot accommodate everyone on board. The result is unhappy pax, not something the cruise lines want.

Also I suspect many cruisers who have booked the winter itineraries have been to most of the ports already so won't be interested in doing tours, they'll just stay on the ship. That won't benefit the port at all, and may cost the cruise line more than they expect if most of those passengers have drinks packages. 

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

Also I suspect many cruisers who have booked the winter itineraries have been to most of the ports already so won't be interested in doing tours, they'll just stay on the ship. That won't benefit the port at all, and may cost the cruise line more than they expect if most of those passengers have drinks packages

Ha! 🤣 People staying aboard would drink more than those who go ashore for part or most of the day.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Ha! 🤣 People staying aboard would drink more than those who go ashore for part or most of the day.

Yes, if you can't go ashore then you just have to sit around the pool and drink fancy cocktails! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, resordanis said:

Hope it all works out! We are going to fly to Sydney earlier than our October cruise to make sure tests are orgsnised

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Yep, I agree. Just don't put too much faith in governments listening to discontent from passengers. For every one of us, there is another 5 that don't want these ships in their ports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Plus it will be a bit ridiculous if they do mandate ship tours only for domestic ports. Anyone from anywhere in Australia can fly or drive to those ports, no tests or restrictions required. But arrive on a cruise ship? No, no, we can't have that, you might contaminate us! 🙄

The whole mandate thing is now getting to the point of ridiculous as some people who have been double vaxed will have been a year away by the time cruising starts.

Cheers Carole 

Totally agree with all. On other thing that is making me think they might have only cruise ship tours, is that I tried to to do a dummy booking for a tour on the Sunday (and I was going to ring the operator) just to see that there was nothing available on that particular day via a few sites. I don’t think the cruise lines can accommodate all that might want to go ashore especially an overnight cruise. Restaurants etc if Cairns will also miss out.

It is just that I cannot get an answer. Anyway, I must know by Wednesday. I have had enough refunds etc from Cunard, Princess and Royal Caribbean to last a lifetime and don’t want a credit from P&O!

I hope by October things work out as we get off Majestic a Princess one day and then board Ovation of the Seas the next day for B2B2B! I can not think about how that is going to work with Covid tests.