Live Report - Jade From Athens 17th April

KeithJenner

@KeithJenner

Hello Keith

Is there any more news please of who it was who died?  And under what circumstances?

Thanks.

I hope Bruno is treating you well.   We have travelled with him before and really enjoy the way he works.  I hope he will still be there when we board in November.

All the best

Mike

OK, a quick sum up of day 1. Apologies for any typo’s etc, I’ve had a lot of Champagne.

We got a taxi to the port this morning. It took about 20 minutes and cost 25 Euro. Very pleased with that.

As I said earlier, check in was quite confused. We got through with just our tests we did yesterday, but I think we were in a very small minority. I think a lot of people who had exactly the same tests as us got retested. We queried why we were being retested and they looked at our results from yesterday and let us through. Most people didn’t query it and did the tests. It wouldn’t have been a problem if we had been retested, and it was all antigen, but it did get us onboard about 30 minutes earlier.

As I have also said, this suite is fantastic. I have no interest in the Haven (I like the public areas and bars too much to want to pay for anything different), but having the extra room is great. We got back from the bar earlier and had somewhere to sit for a while and have a final drink and a chat. The others have now gone to bed and I can type this without disturbing anyone.

The bar service issue remains, and anyone sailing from Athens should assume it will continue to until there are more positive reports. If having a drink after embarkation is a priority then you should consider bringing a bottle on and paying corkage. We were lucky to have bottles of cheap swill in the room, but that is obviously not ideal.

Bar service started at about 6.30 and there was obviously a delay whilst they caught up. We were in the Mojito bar near Cagneys/Moderno, and they had lots of orders from the restaurants before they could serve us.

The upgraded beverage package is very nice. We had a bottle of Moët with our meal, and I lost count of the number of glasses of Veuve at about 5 each. We will have got our value on the price we paid for the upgrade fairly early tomorrow. Of course, we wouldn’t actually be ordering those drinks under normal circumstances, so it isn’t a true comparison, but it is nice to have as an occasional treat. I could certainly see us upgrading again in the future.

We have only had one problem with the package, in the Mojito bar, when we were told we couldn’t have Champagne by the glass. It took a while to get the message across that we had the upgraded package. Other than that (in Moderno and at the bars on deck 6) we were encouraged to make full use of the package.

Moderno was very good. It is a favourite of ours and we haven’t been for 3 years, as it isn’t on every ship.

We are in Kusadasi tomorrow, from 6.30am-12.30. Our plan is to get off for a walk around but the weather forecast isn’t good (its been raining most of the day today), so we will see what it is like before we decide what to do. We are planning on breakfast in Moderno (first time we have done the suite breakfast) and then a fairly lazy day with lots more champagne. 🙂

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ChC said:

Hi Keith, could you be so kind to find out whether Patmos is cancelled in next week's cruise? Thanks.

I’ll see what I can find out. I think it was more due to the fatality, so should happen next week, but I will see if I can get that confirmed.

13 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@KeithJenner

Hello Keith

Is there any more news please of who it was who died?  And under what circumstances?

Thanks.

I hope Bruno is treating you well.   We have travelled with him before and really enjoy the way he works.  I hope he will still be there when we board in November.

All the best

Mike

Not heard anything about the fatality. It’s a difficult question to ask.

Met Bruno briefly. To be honest, I have very little need for a concierge, but was impressed that he wasn’t pushy. He saw that we had got out reservations etc, and just gave us contact info and a sheet with some answers to questions. I’m not expecting to have too many dealings with him.

I suppose you could be right about the Sunday thing. It really could be anything.

One other thing to mention. We upgraded the internet to unlimited, but when I went to log in the upgrade wasn’t showing. I’m using the free at sea minutes now and will see the internet manager tomorrow, but I’d recommend checking your purchase is there earlier in the day. I have bought the inlimited many times in the past and never had this issue.

We had breakfast in Moderno this morning, which was excellent. I’m sure we will be back there for breakfast a few times.

We we’re only in Kusadasi from 6.30-12.30 today, and have previously been to Ephesus, so just just got off the ship

for a walk around today. I like Kusadasi, but the weather was overcast.

Some pictures here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcfBzUiOU3z/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Cagneys tonight for our wedding anniversary.

• Like 6

On 4/16/2022 at 1:19 PM, Trimone said:

We’ve booked air with NCL so straight from terminal to ship?

We are also on this sailing and this was our experience yesterday

After baggage claim and customs there was a lady holding up a Norwegian cruise line sign She signed us off her list and directed us to waiting shuttle bus 

We were all taken to the Hyatt hotel for testing even those who had paid for tests on their own expense within 24 hours 

Fortunately most of us were negative and given wrist bands and directed to another bus which took us to the pier for check in to the ship

There was at least one person who tested positive

He was in a family group and being told that the rest of his family were free to cruise but he would have to isolate for 5 days

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, fabnfortysomething said:

We are also on this sailing and this was our experience yesterday

After baggage claim and customs there was a lady holding up a Norwegian cruise line sign She signed us off her list and directed us to waiting shuttle bus 

We were all taken to the Hyatt hotel for testing even those who had paid for tests on their own expense within 24 hours 

Fortunately most of us were negative and given wrist bands and directed to another bus which took us to the pier for check in to the ship

There was at least one person who tested positive

He was in a family group and being told that the rest of his family were free to cruise but he would have to isolate for 5 days

Sad for that family but this is why it's worth testing before you leave.  To travel and then be refused is really bad news.

I have registered PCR and antigen test kits from the NHS due to illness, the PCR are red label urgent instead of the normal blue, I am working outdoors at a big event shortly before the holidays.

I could definitely get tested within 24 hours with results hopefully negative?

Yesterday was a great day.

After breakfast, and a walk in Kusadasi, we had a lazy few hours in our room before heading off to Spinnaker to play cards.

I like the Spinnaker lounge, although there is always something going on which can be entertaining or annoying. We followed along with the Album cover trivia (got 20 out of 20, so should have officially entered and won the pen, or whatever the prize was), and ignored the bingo. We also watched the CruiseNext presentation as we are currently finalising 2023/24 plans.

No champagne available at Spinnaker which is a shame. They seem to be using a different Prosecco this cruise, which my wife, who often drinks it, doesn’t like. It isn’t a problem for us, as we have the plus package, but would certainly be an issue otherwise.

After a relaxing day it was off to Cagneys for dinner. We have had rather mixed experiences there in recent cruises, but this was an exceptionally good meal. The menu has changed a little which makes the choice of appetisers very limited for people who don’t like seafood (my wife and son), but the steaks were excellent.

The wine waiter was very excited to serve people with the plus package, and I let him experiment on me throughout the meal, whilst my wife stuck with the champagne. Overall it was the best Cagneys meal we have had for years.

My wife let slip about our anniversary right at the end, and the maitre’d wanted to get us a cake, but we declined and managed to escape before people started singing at us. 🙂

Then it was back to Tankards for some a few more drinks. We have our favourite table there now, and Desiree really looks after us well.

We have now arrived in Istanbul, which we have visited before. Our plan was to walk into the centre (a couple of miles) and do some sightseeing, but it is currently raining and the forecast isn’t good, so we may stay onboard. Rather annoyingly our coats are in the car at the airport.

The forecast is better for the rest of the week, although a bit cooler than usual at this time of year.

• Like 7

Very disappointing weather today in Istanbul. Constant light rain and it is really cold (it’s considerably warmer today back in the UK).

We were planning on walking into the centre, but decided to stay onboard instead. It’s been a very lazy day so far.

We have Teppanyaki booked tonight and, by coincidence, we have booked the same time as fabnfortysomething, so we will be joining them.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

Very disappointing weather today in Istanbul. Constant light rain and it is really cold (it’s considerably warmer today back in the UK).

We were planning on walking into the centre, but decided to stay onboard instead. It’s been a very lazy day so far.

We have Teppanyaki booked tonight and, by coincidence, we have booked the same time as fabnfortysomething, so we will be joining them.

Sorry, the weather hasn't been cooperative.  Enjoying your report.

9 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Yesterday was a great day.

After breakfast, and a walk in Kusadasi, we had a lazy few hours in our room before heading off to Spinnaker to play cards.

I like the Spinnaker lounge, although there is always something going on which can be entertaining or annoying. We followed along with the Album cover trivia (got 20 out of 20, so should have officially entered and won the pen, or whatever the prize was), and ignored the bingo. We also watched the CruiseNext presentation as we are currently finalising 2023/24 plans.

No champagne available at Spinnaker which is a shame. They seem to be using a different Prosecco this cruise, which my wife, who often drinks it, doesn’t like. It isn’t a problem for us, as we have the plus package, but would certainly be an issue otherwise.

After a relaxing day it was off to Cagneys for dinner. We have had rather mixed experiences there in recent cruises, but this was an exceptionally good meal. The menu has changed a little which makes the choice of appetisers very limited for people who don’t like seafood (my wife and son), but the steaks were excellent.

The wine waiter was very excited to serve people with the plus package, and I let him experiment on me throughout the meal, whilst my wife stuck with the champagne. Overall it was the best Cagneys meal we have had for years.

My wife let slip about our anniversary right at the end, and the maitre’d wanted to get us a cake, but we declined and managed to escape before people started singing at us. 🙂

Then it was back to Tankards for some a few more drinks. We have our favourite table there now, and Desiree really looks after us well.

We have now arrived in Istanbul, which we have visited before. Our plan was to walk into the centre (a couple of miles) and do some sightseeing, but it is currently raining and the forecast isn’t good, so we may stay onboard. Rather annoyingly our coats are in the car at the airport.

The forecast is better for the rest of the week, although a bit cooler than usual at this time of year.

Great update Keith, thank you! And Happy Anniversary for yesterday!

Will be on the Jade in August so hearing your experiences so far will be helpful! Hopefully they manage to sort some of the testing confusion at port and the Athens drinks allowance (funny they haven't explained why cannot have until sail away) by then.

Bruno we have had a couple of times before and I have to say he was beyond brilliant (IMO) so I hope you find him helpful and fingers crossed he is still on board in August?! 🙂

Enjoy a fizz for us all tonight and hope weather improves for you (and I can confirm it rained in UK today so you're not missing anything!).

2 hours ago, Lisa86 said:

(and I can confirm it rained in UK today so you're not missing anything!).

Just as an aside, cool but wall to wall sunshine today in my part of the UK and that is the forecast for the next 2 weeks, The garden beckons.  

Annie

Thanks for the reports Keith - as usual very balanced and informative.

Edited by anniegb

1 hour ago, ChC said:

Hi Keith, Do you happen to know which terminal Jade was departing and arriving in Athens? is that Terminal A, B or C? Thanks.

We're on the Jade next week, on our downloaded edocs it has Terminal B. I don't know if that's for all sailings.

• Like 1

After spending the last couple of evenings in Tankards, we have decided to have a quiet night in tonight. It is nice to have some space to relax in the cabin. I have my bottle of wine from the latitudes meal and we have grabbed a few drinks for my wife. We may nip out later for a couple before bedtime.

Teppanyaki was excellent as usual. Unfortunately they couldn’t sit us and fabnfortysomething at the same table, as they had already allocated the seating. If we were ever in the same situation then I would try to prewarn them that we wanted to be together. Still, it was very enjoyable.

Volos tomorrow. I don’t think there is a huge amount there (most tours seem to travel to nearby places). We will get off and see what we can find, maybe look for a bar or restaurant for lunch).

One final thing, we are sending in some laundry and my wife thinks that the bag is bigger than previously (I’m sure that I have read grumbling on here about it getting smaller). It is also made of a different material, so doesn’t rip like the old ones. Edit - maybe that is a suite thing?

Edited by KeithJenner

I may have missed it, but any idea of number on board this sailing or expected numbers for the next few sailings?

Also, if you get a chance could you check if the Starbucks on board accepts Starbucks cards from UK (£) as payment. It won't kill us to wait to find out when we're onboard but should you be in the vicinity it would be appreciated 😉

7 hours ago, Muckyduckway said:

I may have missed it, but any idea of number on board this sailing or expected numbers for the next few sailings?

Also, if you get a chance could you check if the Starbucks on board accepts Starbucks cards from UK (£) as payment. It won't kill us to wait to find out when we're onboard but should you be in the vicinity it would be appreciated 😉

I have been meaning to find out the number onboard. I’ll try to ask today. It feels very quiet. Pre cruise someone mentioned 65% full but it doesn’t feel that much.

I’ll also ask about the coffee. It may be different here, as it is still called Java cafe. They just have signs up saying they serve Starbucks.

That reminds me, I did have a look on embarkation day for any reference to Viva Vino, but couldn’t see anything. However, I didn’t ask so it could just be that they don’t promote it.

I think I will try to find someone to ask a few questions. We didn’t have a formal

meet and greet, so haven’t been introduced to any senior staff (I know they haven’t necessarily been attending anyway).

• Thanks 1

Just a note on masks. Most people are complying, and it isn’t a big problem for me.

If people are sitting down they tend to take off the masks even if they aren’t eating or drinking.

There are two problems I have with the masks. Firstly, I never use the lift, but walking up six flights of stairs with a mask on is very unpleasant. I have taken to pulling one side off so I can breathe easier and then put putting it back if I see or hear anyone. As the ship is quiet it isn’t a big problem, could could be at times. The alternative is to use the lift which is worse for my personal health/fitness as well as meaning that I am potentially in an enclosed space with others.

Secondly, I think we all know by now how a mask can hinder communication, especially in noise areas, as you can’t see the talkers lips move. That is made worse if people aren’t talking their own language. In hindsight, I think that was a factor when we struggled to get champagne in Sugarcane on the first day, and there have been a few other similar examples. I didn’t catch a lot of what the chef was saying in Teppanyaki (although I know it pretty well by heart now anyway).

The biggest thing has just been getting back into the habit of remembering to put your mask on when leaving somewhere (and finding which pocket you put it in). They are required indoors in a lot of ports anyway.

It will be nice getting rid of them again back home.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

Funnily enough I agree with everything you said until the last point - I'm actually looking forward to being in a high compliance place!  Hate masks but having made it through more than two years without getting infected, I'm very keen to remain that way (lifelong respiratory problems).

Sorry the weather didn't co-operate in Istanbul, it's a wonderful city, even for return visitors. Hope the rest of your cruise makes up for it weather wise.

Enjoying your report, appreciate you taking the time.

• Like 2