P&O LATERAL FLOW -BEFORE YOU GO

kalos

3 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Why has someone not set up a testing facility at the terminal? Would make everything easier for us and would surely be a money maker?

Probably because 3000+ passengers queuing up for one would slow boarding down quite a bit.

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Hopefully they will ditch the testing soon, with covid mutating to less than a bad cold for most. Flu is far worse and they don't test for that. Have any cruise lines stopped precruise testing yet?

Or insist on a PCR test for chicken pox on young children who have a very real risk of having it.

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Sorry, but your reply was sarcastic and not thought out.

Thanks you for your apology.

I had actually had thought it out and, amongst other potential problems with your proposal, you need to consider that approx one in thirty people in the UK have covid and probably don't realise it. When 3600 passengers for Britannia all turn up at Southampton, having packed their cases and travelled from all over the UK, and take their tests, somewhere in the region of 120 will be turned away and sent home.

Edited by Pine Man

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Think I will buy a smart phone and get a Randox test for back up! Have a tablet, can you do it on that?

I don't see why not. i have a cheap android smartphone which does not have a SIM so can't be used as a phone. I use it for onboard apps, monitoring my Costa coffee beans, reading a bit of news and accessing my NHS services. I also have an Android tablet which I mainly use to read Kindle books and that should do the job as well.

The Randox tests etc are done via WiFi and don't use my phone account so don't need a SIM just wifi access. I have a cheap Doro pensioner mobile phone for calls and texts on a PAYG account

On 5/12/2022 at 8:06 AM, Josy1953 said:

In March we used DAM Health which is 15 to 30 minutes drive from our house.

We booked on line.

It cost £22.49.

We were in there less than 10 minutes.

The results were emailed to us while we were in the car driving home.

We have booked with them again for July.

We were hoping to use Dam Health in Newcastle but get different answers from website, phoning head office and message to them on Facebook. Website says it is a throat swab, head office say depends on clinic whether throat or nasal and Facebook say nasal. With regards the result one says definitely need to download App other says prefer App but can text/e-mail result.

2 hours ago, paulatsea said:

If it all goes wrong how do the tests at Southampton work and who is eligible ? 
how is this booked ?

sorry if already answered 

thanks 

I suppose this is an emergency service is for those who turn up without a certificate but I reckon you would need proof that you were not just trying it on. Imagine if the word got around that you could just turn up at the terminal and get a test. 😱

27 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I suppose this is an emergency service is for those who turn up without a certificate but I reckon you would need proof that you were not just trying it on. Imagine if the word got around that you could just turn up at the terminal and get a test. 😱

I think its priced high to put people off using it as well. We're on Sky Princess soon, they allow you to test at the port. Its Prenetics they use, the same as when it was free. Princess add a $60 charge to your cabin account for each test.

4 hours ago, Pine Man said:

I had actually had thought it out and, amongst other potential problems with your proposal, you need to consider that approx one in thirty people in the UK have covid and probably don't realise it. When 3600 passengers for Britannia all turn up at Southampton, having packed their cases and travelled from all over the UK, and take their tests, somewhere in the region of 120 will be turned away and sent home.

As they would on the old system. My reasonable suggestion was a testing centre near terminals on the lines of pharmacy and Dam in Shirley. Appointments are booked in advance, normally about 10 minutes apart. Just makes things easier for those without smart phones or who live in remote areas. 

9 hours ago, Pine Man said:

Pine man....your figures are a little off. The Health Dept says 4.9 million people in the UK had covid last week. Your figures would give a population of around  130 million people in the UK...about double the number. To be accurate it should be about 1 in 15.

11 hours ago, Fionboard said:

No, they would have appointments like the other on site providers, silly!

But the P&O test system caused significant delays and everyone had a time slot, so why would your proposal not cause the same chaos?

10 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

Pine man....your figures are a little off.

Not my figures, I was quoting a press report on the ONS stats I recently read. The latest ONS stats suggest that the figure is now nearer 1 in 45, for England, Wales and Scotland, which is excellent news BUT it still means that an unacceptable number of passengers stand to be turned away from Southampton, if LF testing is carried out there, just before they checked in for boarding.

Don't get me wrong, the LF testing that now has to be carried out the day before embarkation is a real pain but, in my humble opinion, more acceptable than travelling long distances to be then turned away.

Just an observation.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Francisdrake said:

Can't recommend Boots highly enough, £14.99 and test posted out to us, took the test & emailed the photograph through,  got certificate uploaded within the hour.

We would certainly use Boots again as used them in January post cruise and again last month pre-cruise.

• Like 1

the figures for the last 3 weeks were one 25/35/45 so maybe 1 in 55 next friday. Theoretically that means up to 100 people might be infected out of say 5000 for Iona. Maybe the day before LFT will catch 30 of these but of course there will be infections after the test!. Infected people will board the ship, it can't be stopped.

• Like 1