What If?

Dolebludger

Hopefully your travel insurance.

I am normally not a proponent of travel insurance if you're young and healthy and can afford to lose the cost of a trip. But in the current situation, I think it's prudent to have full coverage for trip delay/interruption as well as medical for this very reason among others.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SusieV said:

Hopefully your travel insurance.

I am normally not a proponent of travel insurance if you're young and healthy and can afford to lose the cost of a trip. But in the current situation, I think it's prudent to have full coverage for trip delay/interruption as well as medical for this very reason among others.

I just checked for full trip insurance via Forbes site and it starts at $1500 to $3,000. 

Just now, Virginia100 said:

I just checked for full trip insurance via Forbes site and it starts at $1500 to $3,000. 

That would depend on the cost of your trip and where you're going, as well as other factors such as age and health.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SusieV said:

That would depend on the cost of your trip and where you're going, as well as other factors such as age and health.

Two old farts in a RS for a 13nt TA get to empty the bank account.  Ask how I know...

Edited by canderson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, SusieV said:

That was for my August 10 day Beyond trip leaving from Rome but primarily in Greece with total cost of $10,000 incl air for two; ages 70 & 72. 

1 minute ago, Virginia100 said:

Does Forbes sell travel insurance?

The cost of third-party insurance is based on age, amount insured, and length of trip as well as level of benefits covered in each policy.  It can be more expensive than cruise line insurance, but it offers higher dollar limits for things like medical and travel benefits such as trip delay.

Trip delay is the provision that pays for quarantine, so anyone concerned about this should look for generous benefits here plus a policy that extends coverage if you ate delayed.

10 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

That was for my August 10 day Beyond trip leaving from Rome but primarily in Greece with total cost of $10,000 incl air for two; ages 70 & 72. 

If the total cost of your trip is $10,000, you should look elsewhere. Get a quote from one of the websites that sell travel insurance like insuremytrip. Yours comes in under $1,000.

5 minutes ago, Babr said:

Does Forbes sell travel insurance?

The cost of third-party insurance is based on age, amount insured, and length of trip as well as level of benefits covered in each policy.  It can be more expensive than cruise line insurance, but it offers higher dollar limits for things like medical and travel benefits such as trip delay.

Trip delay is the provision that pays for quarantine, so anyone concerned about this should look for generous benefits here plus a policy that extends coverage if you ate delayed.

Forbes has search engine for types of Covid trip insurance for cruises. You put in all the parameters as mentioned here and it comes back with a list of policies with specific coverage details that you can then purchase direct from the insurance provider.

We won't go on a cruise without travel insurance now. The big thing for us is not trip reimbursement, though that is nice, but medical evac and expenses. We get $1,000,000 coverage, each person.

If we lose the cruise money - usually from $1,000 to $5,000 tops - we can live without getting that back. It's not going to affect us much going forward. Getting stuck in the wrong place with a positive test and having to pay unbelievable medical, quarantine, and evacuation costs could affect our long-term financial position. No cruise is or should be worth that in our opinion.

• Like 5

Can I suggest there is an entire forum for travel insurance.   This discussion has gotten off topic and attacking others is certainly not helpful.

There are dozens of companies that sell insurance and thousands of possibilities for policies.  Most only sell to residents of their place of business.  Costs can range from 5% to 20%+ of travel expenses.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Can I suggest there is an entire forum for travel insurance.   This discussion has gotten off topic and attacking others is certainly not helpful.

There are dozens of companies that sell insurance and thousands of possibilities for policies.  Most only sell to residents of their place of business.  Costs can range from 5% to 20%+ of travel expenses.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Once you're off the ship, what should they do? You could tootle around a country for a few days before heading to the airport--why would Celebrity be responsible for your negative test?

Edited by hrhdhd
  • Like 2

Celebrity has stopped testing disembarking passengers, as once you are off their ship, you are no longer their concern. AND THEY DON’T HAVE TO REPORT THAT YOU TESTED POSITIVE ON THEIR SHIP.  For folks that need a test to fly internationally to their home country (I.e., For Canadiens to go home after a Caribbean cruise, or For Americans to come home after a TA to Europe) they sell tests AFTER you disembark. Thus, you are on your own if you are asymptomatic but need to be isolated before you board a plane home.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Virginia100 said:

Should be about $800 for the trip

6 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Thanks all for the information. I know if one has booked air independently that they are on their own. But what if air has been booked through X? Any difference?

No.  You are on your own.  In a couple weeks no covid coverage at all if you test positive just before boarding or need to quarantine after your cruise.

I'm generally not too concerned about travel insurance, since we're young and healthy, and precautions can reduce a lot of our risk, but precisely this question had me a bit worried.  I figure that Celebrity will probably keep offering refunds of our cruise if we test positive before the cruise and they don't let us on.  Less likely to continue any additional protections.  However, if we need to test within 1 day of the cruise starting, we'll already be in Europe.. and if we have to test to return to the US, we may be stuck with a new outlay for hotels and potentially higher costs for flights (though hopefully they can move the original ones).  

So, I purchased some trip insurance that does not insure the cost of the trip, but does include trip delay and quarantine coverage if we need it.  That covers what I figure are the two riskiest points - at the cruise start with cruise hopefully refunded but stuck in Europe with no hotel, or at the cruise end so the cruise already happened but again stuck in Europe with no hotel and unable to take our planned flighs.  $800-$1000 for the full coverage of the trip costs turned into $80 without that, but including the trip delay and quarantine stuff.  But we are relatively young - in our late 30s.

4 hours ago, tsarenzi said:

I'm generally not too concerned about travel insurance, since we're young and healthy, and precautions can reduce a lot of our risk, but precisely this question had me a bit worried.  I figure that Celebrity will probably keep offering refunds of our cruise if we test positive before the cruise and they don't let us on.  Less likely to continue any additional protections.  However, if we need to test within 1 day of the cruise starting, we'll already be in Europe.. and if we have to test to return to the US, we may be stuck with a new outlay for hotels and potentially higher costs for flights (though hopefully they can move the original ones).  

So, I purchased some trip insurance that does not insure the cost of the trip, but does include trip delay and quarantine coverage if we need it.  That covers what I figure are the two riskiest points - at the cruise start with cruise hopefully refunded but stuck in Europe with no hotel, or at the cruise end so the cruise already happened but again stuck in Europe with no hotel and unable to take our planned flighs.  $800-$1000 for the full coverage of the trip costs turned into $80 without that, but including the trip delay and quarantine stuff.  But we are relatively young - in our late 30s.

An additional consideration for cruisers who are still working is can you take the extra time away from work if you are quarantining abroad.  Do you have extra vacation days you can use? Will your boss let you use those vacation days? Or can you work from your quarantine location? Lots of fun stuff to consider when travelling abroad these days. 

9 hours ago, DingoMom said:

Celebrity has stopped testing disembarking passengers, as once you are off their ship, you are no longer their concern. AND THEY DON’T HAVE TO REPORT THAT YOU TESTED POSITIVE ON THEIR SHIP.  For folks that need a test to fly internationally to their home country (I.e., For Canadiens to go home after a Caribbean cruise, or For Americans to come home after a TA to Europe) they sell tests AFTER you disembark. Thus, you are on your own if you are asymptomatic but need to be isolated before you board a plane home.

Canadians no longer have to test to fly home (effective April 1)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DingoMom said:

The news just gets more compelling to cancel my 8/8 Rome cruise before FP on 5/10. Covid assistance gone 4/30, now need an $800 insurance policy in addition, tests one day before embarkation eliminates test in US before leaving, test to fly home still in force with no change on the horizon, new Covid variants out there, air flights not reliable…,,,,,,,

12 minutes ago, Princess Fi said:

Canadians no longer have to test to fly home (effective April 1)

Fingers crossed for the US to follow suit soon.  Return testing is pointless.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, danv3 said:

Fingers crossed for the US to follow suit soon.  Return testing is pointless.  

Why is the US last to change and why hadn’t it? Would nice if it is eliminated like 5/1.

Edited by Virginia100