From 1st May no complimentary Pre Boarding Covid tests

suttonrunner

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

Is this Emed test an antigen test? Did they make that test within one day of embarkation?

Ivi

Yes, it’s an antigen test and they were able to do them the day before embarking. The cost is $180 for 6 tests. That’s the only way, they sell them. They are shipped next day by FedEx.  We are planning to use them as well for the cruise and since we need to take a test to return to the US, will bring a couple along with us. 

Here is the site.  https://www.emed.com/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2022 at 2:46 AM, laurieb said:

Yes yes yes!  Cruise lines are not medical clinics !

So why are they insisting on something that isn't required? This an azamara requirement only. On my cruise in a month, no country is insisting on a test, no airline is insisting on a test, just the azamara clinic.

And if they insist, it shouldn't be with an extortionate markup. In the UK now, you don't even need to isolate if you are positive and are fine to continue work. The vaccines and evolution means it's a mild cold now. Can flu and colds kill? Yep, just like they always have and without this nonsense as it stands now.

The insistance on this test for me personally is a real pain as even with a 72 hour window, it's nigh impossible. London will be in chaos on the weekend I need to get sorted because of the Jubilee..... And because testing is nigh history, there are just not many places open. Plus the cheapest PCR I can find, adds another £140 to the cost.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, les37b said:

So why are they insisting on something that isn't required? This an azamara requirement only. On my cruise in a month, no country is insisting on a test, no airline is insisting on a test, just the azamara clinic.

And if they insist, it shouldn't be with an extortionate markup. In the UK now, you don't even need to isolate if you are positive and are fine to continue work. The vaccines and evolution means it's a mild cold now. Can flu and colds kill? Yep, just like they always have and without this nonsense as it stands now.

The insistance on this test for me personally is a real pain as even with a 72 hour window, it's nigh impossible. London will be in chaos on the weekend I need to get sorted because of the Jubilee..... And because testing is nigh history, there are just not many places open. Plus the cheapest PCR I can find, adds another £140 to the cost.

We are in complete agreement, but I believe cruise lines have been pressured by government and certain travelers to ensure safety beyond what is reasonable today. Hoping this nonsense drops by June.

That said, show me another major cruise line that isn't requiring pre-testing and I'll start joining in the lobbying effort. Heck, just a few weeks ago people considered it unsafe for others to not wear a mask within their vicinity...especially the help. Seems very elitist to me.

Get rid of testing and allow employees to be treated humanely. We are all vaccinated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, les37b said:

I have to disagree, it is certainly not just a mild cold - we had it in March having had 3 vaccinations and both felt pretty poorly and were left with nasty coughs and fatigue for quite a few weeks afterward.

In the UK the law does not say you have to isolate if tested positive but the NHS guidance is that “You should try to stay at home and avoid contact with other people for 5 days after the day you took the test.”.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I have to disagree, it is certainly not just a mild cold - we had it in March having had 3 vaccinations and both felt pretty poorly and were left with nasty coughs and fatigue for quite a few weeks afterward.

In the UK the law does not say you have to isolate if tested positive but the NHS guidance is that “You should try to stay at home and avoid contact with other people for 5 days after the day you took the test.”.

Thanks for writing this, Grandma.  I have had four vaccinations and have no underlying conditions, but am battling Covid now.  We have had one person here who has poo-pood Covid in some bizarre desire to have cruise lines cease taking precautions to minimize Covid being brought on board.

I would not want to be onboard a ship right now, and am glad to be at home.  I would also not want to pass this on to someone sitting next to me in the theater or in a dining room.  Ruining someone else's cruise would be utterly irresponsible and selfish.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Thanks for writing this, Grandma.  I have had four vaccinations and have no underlying conditions, but am battling Covid now.  We have had one person here who has poo-pood Covid in some bizarre desire to have cruise lines cease taking precautions to minimize Covid being brought on board.

I would not want to be onboard a ship right now, and am glad to be at home.  I would also not want to pass this on to someone sitting next to me in the theater or in a dining room.  Ruining someone else's cruise would be utterly irresponsible and selfish.

No one can ruin anyone else's trip, this is ridiculous. If you are fully masked and taking necessary precautions, then you are safe. Reminds me of the former First Lady attending a Gala this past week while forcing people around her to mask up and fix her dress. If she wants to be protected, she can wear a mask. Very elitist attitude...but what do I know, I treat everyone the same.

I'm glad you are staying home to help keep us safe.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mdpa said:

No one can ruin anyone else's trip, this is ridiculous. If you are fully masked and taking necessary precautions, then you are safe. Reminds me of the former First Lady attending a Gala this past week while forcing people around her to mask up and fix her dress. If she wants to be protected, she can wear a mask. Very elitist attitude...but what do I know, I treat everyone the same.

I'm glad you are staying home to help keep us safe.

Your response is what's "ridiculous,"  as is your attitude to the current health situation we continue to face.  It takes two masks...mine and yours...to reduce the risk.  There is no condition in a setting with a crowd where one is "safe."    You do what you can to reduce the risk.  And, yes, by behaving irresponsibly, you can ruin someone else's cruise, vacation, or whatever.

Edited by marinaro44
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Now sure why you shouted that, but re-read it.

It is advice. It is not law and it's not an instruction.

Terms in your shout "guidance"..... And "try".

Strangely I couldn't even see where that 5 days quote came from. I know that was the case some time ago. I'm obviously not suggesting people shouldn't protect others and should behave responsibly.

This is the current info as of 13 April.

If you have symptoms of a respiratory infection, such as COVID-19, and you have a high temperature or do not feel well enough to go to work or carry out normal activities, you are advised to try to stay at home and avoid contact with other people.

No mention of 5 days... And as I'd said. It's saying it's fine to go into work unless you are feeling ill.... ie just like any illness then!

As for the effects. I know numerous people who would definitely not be here without the vaccine and recent infections. Indeed, they all reported it to be minor enough to not even feel they were I'll. My wife spent 10 days in quarantine in Jan on Silver Moon in South America she had absolutely zero symptoms.

And feeling like I had a mild cold in the middle of the week, I finally tested myself on Friday and was positive. I have stayed away from people, but can categorically tell you the effects on me are very much a mild cold.

I have had bad colds and flu in the past which caused me to need time off work. When the consequences of a positive test are more serious than the illness, it's time to reassess. 

I have worked from home for the past 2 years and took the pandemic seriously. Now in line with many countries, we are at the stage we need to live with it.

If cruise lines want to insist it's a condition of passage, then they should own it and not make a huge profit on it. I have no problem with being testing or wear a mask. Just think the stage has been reached where testing is the problem. As stated, my wife had zero symptoms. We were simply testing privately every other day. Had we not have done that, we'd have been one the wiser. Amazingly, there is a Silversea Facebook group that someone who had never sailed on the line complained "the husband of a guest in quarantine had free run of the ship.  Which wasn't true. I was in isolation for 48 hours, when I was released, I was asked to stay clear of people, which was happy to do. I had 5 PCRs and 6 Antigens during the 10 days she was in quarantine, but that wasn't enough and according to that guest, should have been locked up.

They are not on the ship, not even thinking of sailing, but think being in contact with someone and ignoring the tests and precautions wasn't enough for them. Therein lies the problem. 

Edited by les37b
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/7/2022 at 12:03 PM, Josephgray1 said:

@travelberlin My parents boarded Pursuit 2 days ago in Istanbul. They used the Emed Covid tests at home before they left and presented the results when they boarded. Everything was good, no issues. 

Thanks so much for posting that. We will plan to use our Emed Tests as we will be arriving in Greece five days before embarkation for our cruise in June.

Edited by yogagal47
Misspelling
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, les37b said:

Now sure why you shouted that, but re-read it.

It is advice. It is not law and it's not an instruction.

Terms in your shout "guidance"..... And "try".

Strangely I couldn't even see where that 5 days quote came from. I know that was the case some time ago. I'm obviously not suggesting people shouldn't protect others and should behave responsibly.

This is the current info as of 13 April.

If you have symptoms of a respiratory infection, such as COVID-19, and you have a high temperature or do not feel well enough to go to work or carry out normal activities, you are advised to try to stay at home and avoid contact with other people.

No mention of 5 days... And as I'd said. It's saying it's fine to go into work unless you are feeling ill.... ie just like any illness then!

As for the effects. I know numerous people who would definitely not be here without the vaccine and recent infections. Indeed, they all reported it to be minor enough to not even feel they were I'll. My wife spent 10 days in quarantine in Jan on Silver Moon in South America she had absolutely zero symptoms.

And feeling like I had a mild cold in the middle of the week, I finally tested myself on Friday and was positive. I have stayed away from people, but can categorically tell you the effects on me are very much a mild cold.

Sorry about the ‘shouting’ - that was not my intention (although I thought it was caps that was deemed to be shouting). It was a copy and paste from the NHS site, which, by the way still talks about 5 days if you look down the page here https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/when-to-self-isolate-and-what-to-do/

It says if you have symptoms and/or if you test positive you should try to stay at home & avoid contact with others for 5 days starting from the day after the positive test.

I did say it was guidance, not law, but think it’s sensible advice. You were lucky not to have symptoms, when we had COVID we tested positive for 12 days and felt ill for longer than that - it took me six weeks to feel back to normal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Sorry about the ‘shouting’ - that was not my intention (although I thought it was caps that was deemed to be shouting). It was a copy and paste from the NHS site, which, by the way still talks about 5 days if you look down the page here https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/when-to-self-isolate-and-what-to-do/

It says if you have symptoms and/or if you test positive you should try to stay at home & avoid contact with others for 5 days starting from the day after the positive test.

I did say it was guidance, not law, but think it’s sensible advice. You were lucky not to have symptoms, when we had COVID we tested positive for 12 days and felt ill for longer than that - it took me six weeks to feel back to normal.

The one very important bit of missing info you omitted..

It's no longer possible to get a free test in the UK....it's not considered worth doing, so apart from those still in possession of some leftover NHS, no one is testing, so the advice to stay at home if you test positive is a bit of a red herring. I was fortunate that I still had some left, so could test...Not for much longer though!

I'm completely fine to wear masks on the ship. Indeed I was on a ship a short while ago and it annoyed me people jumped into an elevator making it crowded not wearing one.

The fact a test is not required, but is Azamara insisting, is for me reason to be at their expense. It's not legally compulsory and they have moved goalposts to increase the cost.

On the ship, should you chose to test and get caught out like we did on Silversea, Azamara will unceramoniously kick you off at the next port to fend for yourself at your cost. We did the right thing before, despite zero symptoms. If I had a sniffle, there is no chance I would test again. I would keep a low profile, but not a chance I would volunteer to give myself up to be treated in that way. No refund for the missed cruise you just got kicked off either.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Al, hope you feel better soon. 

Phil 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Your response is what's "ridiculous,"  as is your attitude to the current health situation we continue to face.  It takes two masks...mine and yours...to reduce the risk.  There is no condition in a setting with a crowd where one is "safe."    You do what you can to reduce the risk.  And, yes, by behaving irresponsibly, you can ruin someone else's cruise, vacation, or whatever.

After two years free of problems DH and I also tested positive shortly after returning from Azamara.  Im not sure we would have tested onboard with the early symptoms if was just an "off feeling" but because our grand daughter is classed extremely high risk vulnerable we had to ahead of a visit - and the dreaded two lines appeared.  So had we been on board at that time we would have been infectious but not known.  Went for a PCR on one of the last days we could get one through the NHS in Scotland and it was positive so we set about following the rules then (they were isolation, we could start home testing after Day 5 and two negatives would let us out)

A few days later I was absolutely floored, DH was symptomless.  He tested negative Day 6 and 7 so was free - but then regrounded because he was with me and I was still positive.  It took me to Days 9 and 10 to get two negatives, coincidentally Day 10 is the day I was to be freed anyway.

A week later I am still struggling with no energy and disturbed sleep with a stupid cough.  Its been no picnic.  

I hope you get better very soon, it seems those of us getting it for the first time now are hardest hit.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, les37b said:

I don't know where you are flying out from but...I know there are testing stations at Heathrow both in some of the terminals and also walk through ones. PCR & Lateral Flow.  I assume the same at Gatwick. As we are in Cumbria the closest place is Newcastle (!) so are flying down from NCL to LHR and testing in NCL to get the 72 hours correct.

Happy to do it but its added an extra bit of stress before we we even set off !!!  lol

Cruise companies are making the rules for who can come on board and that is not necessarily on the same level that the national authorities sets for travel. In Norway we do not have any restrictions with regards to Covid whatsoeverl. The guidelines set are: Stay at home if you are sick. You may leave home if symptom free. No quarantine and no requirement to test negative. The cruise companies operating in Norwegian ports must make their own guidlines. 
Pre-cruise tests will probably be here for the unforeseeable future.

Hopefully it will get easier and cheaper.

Edited by oddjob16
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, uktog said:

After two years free of problems DH and I also tested positive shortly after returning from Azamara.  Im not sure we would have tested onboard with the early symptoms if was just an "off feeling" but because our grand daughter is classed extremely high risk vulnerable we had to ahead of a visit - and the dreaded two lines appeared.  So had we been on board at that time we would have been infectious but not known.  Went for a PCR on one of the last days we could get one through the NHS in Scotland and it was positive so we set about following the rules then (they were isolation, we could start home testing after Day 5 and two negatives would let us out)

A few days later I was absolutely floored, DH was symptomless.  He tested negative Day 6 and 7 so was free - but then regrounded because he was with me and I was still positive.  It took me to Days 9 and 10 to get two negatives, coincidentally Day 10 is the day I was to be freed anyway.

A week later I am still struggling with no energy and disturbed sleep with a stupid cough.  Its been no picnic.  

I hope you get better very soon, it seems those of us getting it for the first time now are hardest hit.

Appreciate you and Marinaro sharing your experiences.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, jollyjoyce said:

I don't know where you are flying out from but...I know there are testing stations at Heathrow both in some of the terminals and also walk through ones. PCR & Lateral Flow.  I assume the same at Gatwick. As we are in Cumbria the closest place is Newcastle (!) so are flying down from NCL to LHR and testing in NCL to get the 72 hours correct.

Happy to do it but its added an extra bit of stress before we we even set off !!!  lol

Flying out from Gatwick at 10am on Mon 6 June, so no chance of a pre flight PCR. (Antigen is no good as the boarding would be 1400 on the 7th.)

Friday is too early. Saturday my wife works, so Sunday is the only day that we can test and fits requirements. I can only find 1 company (Dam) who are open in London on Sunday and can get a PCR result before midnight. 24 hour result is no good. I don't want to arrive in Portugal to open my emails and find one of us is positive, miss the cruise and pay a fortune for quarantine and return flights.

The reason that particular Sunday is a bad one - London will be chocka. It's the queen's Jubilee. 

I faced an even worse scenario in Jan as my flight to MIA from LHR was 9.30am and US had a 24 hour window. My flight was on 2 Jan.... So finding a place open on New year's Day wasn't easy. I had to do a 120 mile round trip to the only place I could find, which was Randox at Stansted 

These days, everywhere is shutting down. Stansted isn't an option. I notice the Halo place at Heathrow has just closed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, les37b said:

Flying out from Gatwick at 10am on Mon 6 June, so no chance of a pre flight PCR. (Antigen is no good as the boarding would be 1400 on the 7th.)

Friday is too early. Saturday my wife works, so Sunday is the only day that we can test and fits requirements. I can only find 1 company (Dam) who are open in London on Sunday and can get a PCR result before midnight. 24 hour result is no good. I don't want to arrive in Portugal to open my emails and find one of us is positive, miss the cruise and pay a fortune for quarantine and return flights.

The reason that particular Sunday is a bad one - London will be chocka. It's the queen's Jubilee. 

I faced an even worse scenario in Jan as my flight to MIA from LHR was 9.30am and US had a 24 hour window. My flight was on 2 Jan.... So finding a place open on New year's Day wasn't easy. I had to do a 120 mile round trip to the only place I could find, which was Randox at Stansted 

These days, everywhere is shutting down. Stansted isn't an option. I notice the Halo place at Heathrow has just closed.

I am in a similar position. I am trying to get a PCR test before my flight. Several reliable companies are not operating anymore in Germany. For example the one I used many times Centogen has closed. They are a couple of private test companies who do not have good reviews. For example, despite promises of results being delivered on the same day, in many cases they do not deliver the results. Since in their adds they mention that results will be delivered on time in 95% of the cases, I guess that those writing the reviews are the 5% who did not get their results 😁

So here is my strategy: First I will test myself before my flight just to make sure I am negative. Second I will take one of those sameday PCR tests hoping to get the results on time to meet the requirement for Azamara. Third, in case I do not get the results on time,  I will take an antigen test the day before boarding in Athens. Apparently tests available in pharmacies for Euro 10 and results are there after 20 minutes. Since my selftest will be negative (otherwise I will not travel), it is unlikely I will test positive in Athens. No champagne for me on the plane 😉

Gosh 🥹

Ivi

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

I am in a similar position. I am trying to get a PCR test before my flight. Several reliable companies are not operating anymore in Germany. For example the one I used many times Centogen has closed. They are a couple of private test companies who do not have good reviews. For example, despite promises of results being delivered on the same day, in many cases they do not deliver the results. Since in their adds they mention that results will be delivered on time in 95% of the cases, I guess that those writing the reviews are the 5% who did not get their results 😁

So here is my strategy: First I will test myself before my flight just to make sure I am negative. Second I will take one of those sameday PCR tests hoping to get the results on time to meet the requirement for Azamara. Third, in case I do not get the results on time,  I will take an antigen test the day before boarding in Athens. Apparently tests available in pharmacies for Euro 10 and results are there after 20 minutes. Since my selftest will be negative (otherwise I will not travel), it is unlikely I will test positive in Athens. No champagne for me on the plane 😉

Gosh 🥹

Ivi

Good strategy.

Is the antigen test from the pharmacy made or viewed by someone? I'm fairly sure to count it needed to be?

I did look to doing this for Lisbon but could only find 2 open and both miles away!

1 minute ago, les37b said:

Good strategy.

Is the antigen test from the pharmacy made or viewed by someone? I'm fairly sure to count it needed to be?

I did look to doing this for Lisbon but could only find 2 open and both miles away!

My hotel informed me that it is made at the pharmacy. You need your passport with you.

Ivi

• Like 1

2 hours ago, travelberlin said:

My hotel informed me that it is made at the pharmacy. You need your passport with you.

Ivi

Spoke to my hotel, there is one in a nearby shopping centre.... Who are charging €40 for an antigen... And €119 for a PCR.

4 hours ago, les37b said:

When we were in Lisbon last month there were cubicles every few blocks giving Covid tests. We stayed at Avenida Palace and there was right next to it. I also saw one just a couple blocks from there.

• Thanks 1

les37b, you can get an antigen test at LGW before flying out on Monday. A negative result anytime the day before you sail on Tuesday is fine. Don't get hung up on testing time versus boarding time. Here is the relevant section of the (current) website:

In the interest of welcoming you onboard and starting your voyage as quickly as possible, guests will no longer be required to undergo a COVID-19 antigen test while checking in at the terminal. However, to strive for a COVID-19 free environment, guests will be required to provide a negative COVID-19 test upon embarkation. At-home and/or self-testing kits are not accepted. The test results must be from a testing laboratory or a licensed testing site. The COVID-19 test can either be:

PCR: Test date no older than 3 days prior to embarkation; OR 

Antigen: Test date must be within one day of embarkation

Note, the switch in the wording from the original communication I received on 21st April (dated 20th April) which stated the validity of the PCR test in hours (see below) which led to a lot of confusion of the kind you are mentioning:

• PCR: Test date no older than 72 hours prior to embarkation; OR
  • Antigen: Test date must be within one day of embarkation

So Monday for your LFT should be fine although it will mean getting to the airport a bit earlier. I'm  also hoping that particular hoop will be gone before June so are holding off booking our tests until nearer the time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have queried the timing of PCR testing with Azamara Customer Services and of course have not had any response from them after 10 days but surely 72 hours is 3 days (3 x 24 hours). So I’ve booked a PCR test for 6pm on Wednesday evening at LHR (Randox) before flying out to Venice at 8am on Thursday. I will get the result in 1 - 3 hours so will know the result before I am due to fly. Should there be any challenge that my timing is incorrect I will take a hard copy of the Azamara email dated 20th April which is the only official communication I have received from Azamara.

The lack of clarity and Azamara’s non-responsiveness is staggering and stressful just 13 days before embarkation.