When Does The Coast Guard Get A Sick Person

6 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Wishing them the best, but why wouldn’t the Coast Guard come out? Anyone know their criteria or just speculation?

Several things.  There are many disqualifying factors that would prevent a helo medivac including, for example, high blood pressure.  Medivacs need to be cleared through a flight surgeon first and if all the boxes aren't checked, the rescue will not occur.  Same goes for surface rescues.  Will transport to a small boat do more harm than good, or is it better to leave them in place where there is competent health care?  Sometimes they are better off on ship until they can reach a port.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, h20skibum said:

They just had an airlift on one of the TA’s. 

Video by @jim_lain

Thanks for the great video. We had an evac when we were doing a TP. We had left Seattle about 2 - 3 hours prior. I took a video but since we were in a port side balcony we didn’t get to see a lot. Jim was in a great location. Never heard what had happened. 

1 hour ago, UtahSaints said:

we are also  on the ship and wonder what the problem was. The fact that 2 people where both sick seems it must have been something they both ate, exposed to, or used. I am hoping it was not something they deliberately used or took that then affected the plans of thousands of people. Hope they recover whatever it was. 

A lady in the elevator said customer service told her an elderly gentleman fell and hit his head and had brain bleeding. I originally thought that maybe one was already sick/injured, but not enough for the ship to return to port. After the second one became injured and had to get to better medical care then the other one went also. 

• Like 1

In 2016 on Celebrity Infinity, the evening before docking in Valparaiso,  Chile, we had a helicopter evacuation.  A passenger running to answer a name that tune landed on her face, lots of blood I'm told.  Watched on TV camera, before heading up to another spot, while they took down fence on helipad, helicopter landed, staff and stretcher got off, helicopter took off, circled before landing again for patient to be loaded on and helicopter took off.  Infinity is not a big ship but don't know how it's size compares to that on other ships.  Amazing to watch.

40 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

@chengkp75

@Aquahound

@Reddgroom

Thanks for the info.

These are at least two of the knowledgeable posters I referred to earlier.  They  provide a wealth of accurate information with their responses on these boards!  I always enjoy reading their posts and learn a lot from them. I now can add the third to my watch list!

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had two med emergencies on our 12 night en Apr 2-14. We went straight to St. martin and arrived at 1 am. And there was anothet alpha call. Plus while in the Bay leaving Baltimore something was going as we stopped and a police boat was off our starboard. Then on the second leg of our b2b a woman fell in the bathroom onboard and broke her femur. She was offloaded at Charleston two days after she fell to go to hospital. No helo evacs in the 20 days we've been onboard. We've only seen helo evacs a couple of times in 32 cruises.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I think it's a bit careless to speculate without knowing the facts.  They could have just coincidentally both had serious medical emergencies.  Unfortunately given the amount of passengers on board cruise ships on any given cruise it does happen.  We've been on several cruises where that has occurred.

This.

When my Mom had her issue, I was talking the port agent.  Two people had come off our ship.  My mother and another lady who had fallen and broken her collar bone.

The agent told me on cruise, they had to put the gangway back 6 times before they could get away from the dock.  6 different mishaps that required the person to be sent to the hospital in a very short period of time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And people should notice in the video of a long range helicopter evac, there is a long range fixed wing aircraft to provide lifesaving equipment and remain on station if anything goes sideways with the helicopter.

And to aerial refuel the helicopter to extend the range.

We had one helicopter evac on Grandeur while still in the Chesapeake Bay.  That must have been serious time critical.