Flights by Celebrity - seat selection

PMT51

Hi.  We have booked our flights using Flights by Celebrity. We are also using a big box TA. 

We are flying Air Canada.

The TA told us that we can not choose seats until we pay for the flight, which we don't want to do at this point. 

Does anyone know if there is a way to choose seats prior to payment?

9 minutes ago, PMT51 said:

Hi.  We have booked our flights using Flights by Celebrity. We are also using a big box TA. 

The TA told us that we can not choose seats until we pay for the flight, which we don't want to do at this point. 

Call Flights by Celebrity and they can choose the seats for you.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, PMT51 said:

It may also be carrier dependent. 

We just booked our United flights through FBC and got our seats assigned by phone. However it looks like we can change them online through our MileagePlus accounts. 

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

Uh-oh...

Allow me to relate my Air Canada nightmare story...

When we did our first post-pandemic cruises on Apex this past August from Athens, we booked our air through Celebrity Air...and our trip home was Athens-Toronto-LAX on Air Canada...seemed fine at the time.

We were able to go onto the Air Canada site directly and book coach seat assignments by paying an extra $132.  This was important to us because:

1)  We wanted two aisle seats across from each other.  I need to get up and walk around during long flights and also get a little claustrophobic...and...

2)  We had a short time to change planes in Toronto and wanted to be nearer the front of the plane in order to keep the time to deplane short.

So, we were successful in booking seats early enough to do that.  Even at a cost.

When our trip was over, we got to Athens Airport, checked in and got our boarding passes and rushed to get in the long line for security.  While in that line, I took a look at our boarding passes.  All four--both legs--were in middle seats, different rows, in the very back of the plane!!

When we got through security and made our way to the gate, I went right to the desk...and explained there was some sort of mistake.  The agent explained that the plane was full...and, somehow, our seat assignments were not in the system.  I expressed my concern and she said she'd see what she could do.  A little later, they called me back to the desk.  They were able to move us.  Not to our paid-for seat assignments, but forward a few rows and to seats together--aisle and middle seats in the center section on the Athens-Toronto leg.  She said they couldn't do anything about Toronto to LAX but I should check with the gate in Toronto.

We boarded the plane and found our new seats--they were in the row immediately in front of the rest rooms--seats that did not recline--for the long transatlantic flight.  After we were on and waiting to depart, a couple in two middle seats in the center section complained to the flight attendant that her little TV screen wasn't working--and the flight attendant moved them to two apparently open seats in Business class!

When we got to Toronto, as instructed, I went right to the gate and inquired about our seat assignments.  The gentleman told me I had no seat assignments...and never had any...because it didn't show on his computer.  I tried to show him my confirmation email from Air Canada and my log-in to my Visa card that showed the $132 charge paid to Air Canada.  He refused to even look...and told me if I didn't leave his window (yes, due to Covid, there were thick plexiglass all around his desk) that he would have me denied boarding and have me arrested!

I gave up...My wife and I sat in different row, both near the very back of the plane.

When we got home, I started calling and emailing Air Canada...waiting long times on hold on the calls.  It took about two months, and I finally got a rebate of my paid seat fees credited back to my credit card account...on ONE of the two legs...It took another month to get the second one.  I told Air Canada that, with what happened, a mere refund of the money I paid and they held for months was not good enough.  After making my way through several different representatives, Air Canada finally gave me a "Credit" of $250, good for one year.

Fast forward to my upcoming "side-to-side" cruises on Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas and Celebrity Summit.  We booked our air again through Celebrity Air/RCCL Air2Sea...They booked us on Air Canada LAX-Montreal-Barcelona.  Could we apply our AC Credit?  NO...because it was not booked directly with air Canada.  But could we use it to get seat assignments?  Celebrity Air:  "I don't see why not".

I went on the Air Canada site to purchase seat assignments as I did last time.  Seat assignments were not available through the site because I did not book directly with Air Canada according to the site now.  I called.  "Can I make seat assignments applying my Air Canada $250 credit?"  Air Canada:  "NO!"

I contacted Celebrity Air and switched my flights to American Airlines.  I IMMEDIALTELY got FREE seat assignments.

I will likely never fly Air Canada again.

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Thanks 1

OP here.

Wow Bruin Steve. I hope we don't have problems like that. We are on direct flights, so hopefully it won't be a problem.

Just got off the phone with an agent at Flights by Celebrity. She told me that Air Canada won't assign seats, or allow seat selection until the flights are paid for, which can be done at anytime.  

One of the reasons we booked Flights by Celebrity was so that we would not have to pay for flights this far in advance. We will wait and see, afterall final payment is still a while before flight dates.

Thank you all for your help.

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

Uh-oh...

When we did our first post-pandemic cruises on Apex this past August from Athens, we booked our air through Celebrity Air...and our trip home was Athens-Toronto-LAX on Air Canada...seemed fine at the time.

We were able to go onto the Air Canada site directly and book coach seat assignments by paying an extra $132.  This was important to us because:

1)  We wanted two aisle seats across from each other.  I need to get up and walk around during long flights and also get a little claustrophobic...and...

2)  We had a short time to change planes in Toronto and wanted to be nearer the front of the plane in order to keep the time to deplane short.

So, we were successful in booking seats early enough to do that.  Even at a cost.

When our trip was over, we got to Athens Airport, checked in and got our boarding passes and rushed to get in the long line for security.  While in that line, I took a look at our boarding passes.  All four--both legs--were in middle seats, different rows, in the very back of the plane!!

When we got through security and made our way to the gate, I went right to the desk...and explained there was some sort of mistake.  The agent explained that the plane was full...and, somehow, our seat assignments were not in the system.  I expressed my concern and she said she'd see what she could do.  A little later, they called me back to the desk.  They were able to move us.  Not to our paid-for seat assignments, but forward a few rows and to seats together--aisle and middle seats in the center section on the Athens-Toronto leg.  She said they couldn't do anything about Toronto to LAX but I should check with the gate in Toronto.

We boarded the plane and found our new seats--they were in the row immediately in front of the rest rooms--seats that did not recline--for the long transatlantic flight.  After we were on and waiting to depart, a couple in two middle seats in the center section complained to the flight attendant that her little TV screen wasn't working--and the flight attendant moved them to two apparently open seats in Business class!

When we got to Toronto, as instructed, I went right to the gate and inquired about our seat assignments.  The gentleman told me I had no seat assignments...and never had any...because it didn't show on his computer.  I tried to show him my confirmation email from Air Canada and my log-in to my Visa card that showed the $132 charge paid to Air Canada.  He refused to even look...and told me if I didn't leave his window (yes, due to Covid, there were thick plexiglass all around his desk) that he would have me denied boarding and have me arrested!

I gave up...My wife and I sat in different row, both near the very back of the plane.

When we got home, I started calling and emailing Air Canada...waiting long times on hold on the calls.  It took about two months, and I finally got a rebate of my paid seat fees credited back to my credit card account...on ONE of the two legs...It took another month to get the second one.  I told Air Canada that, with what happened, a mere refund of the money I paid and they held for months was not good enough.  After making my way through several different representatives, Air Canada finally gave me a "Credit" of $250, good for one year.

Fast forward to my upcoming "side-to-side" cruises on Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas and Celebrity Summit.  We booked our air again through Celebrity Air/RCCL Air2Sea...They booked us on Air Canada LAX-Montreal-Barcelona.  Could we apply our AC Credit?  NO...because it was not booked directly with air Canada.  But could we use it to get seat assignments?  Celebrity Air:  "I don't see why not".

I went on the Air Canada site to purchase seat assignments as I did last time.  Seat assignments were not available through the site because I did not book directly with Air Canada according to the site now.  I called.  "Can I make seat assignments applying my Air Canada $250 credit?"  Air Canada:  "NO!"

I contacted Celebrity Air and switched my flights to American Airlines.  I IMMEDIALTELY got FREE seat assignments.

Old saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Another way of saying "live and learn".

When I price flights from Nashville, TN to Europe the lowest flights are often on Westjet to YYZ and Air Canada to Europe.  I have been able to recall tales like yours so far, and I have avoided those flights.  I hope my memory doesn't get  much worse.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hmmmm

Canadian here. I was able to book my seat assignment before I paid in full. But I was told if I canceled or change my cruise, that I would be charged 250 per person, rather than getting the entire cruise refund or credit.

I have not taken the trip yet, it remains to be seen whether or not I will get the assigned seating. I also have a bid in for an upgrade to premium cabin.

To be fair, Air Canada is a terrible airline, from the moment you walk into their terminal, to trying to get luggage tags ,to going through security, to going through customs, it’s just the worst. Something crappy always happens when I am forced to use them. However, I could not pass up celebrity airs quote of. 680 CAD round trip, luggage included for my flight to Rome. It was literally half the price of anything I could find myself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mahdnc said:

It may also be carrier dependent. 

We just booked our United flights through FBC and got our seats assigned by phone. However it looks like we can change them online through our MileagePlus accounts. 

Good luck with that.  We had good seats and paid extra for them.  Then, United changd them with a plane change, then another seat change and then much closer to the back of the plane.  We have been waiting for our refund for 6 weeks.  Guess what, now they changed them to much better seats.  Gofigure!   I have called United and CA so many times, each time being told to not worry that once they are ticketed, we can move up to biz class if we want to do it.  we never had this issue before and yes, we are members.  We always booked biz class without issue.

32 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Good luck with that.  We had good seats and paid extra for them.  Then, United changd them with a plane change, then another seat change and then much closer to the back of the plane.  We have been waiting for our refund for 6 weeks.  Guess what, now they changed them to much better seats.  Gofigure!   I have called United and CA so many times, each time being told to not worry that once they are ticketed, we can move up to biz class if we want to do it.  we never had this issue before and yes, we are members.  We always booked biz class without issue.

I'm not sure what the "good luck with that" was specifically targeted at for me to learn from. We have economy seats and will be watching for flight changes as we do for flights that we've booked directly with the carrier for our other trips. 

3 hours ago, Cookie002 said:

To be fair, Air Canada is a terrible airline, from the moment you walk into their terminal, to trying to get luggage tags ,to going through security, to going through customs, it’s just the worst. Something crappy always happens when I am forced to use them....

I agree with you. If I have a choice Air Canada is not it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mahdnc said:

I'm not sure what the "good luck with that" was specifically targeted at for me to learn from. We have economy seats and will be watching for flight changes as we do for flights that we've booked directly with the carrier for our other trips. 

We were told that we could change them on-line also, but when we did, all of our issues began.  Being unable to see the seat map was first, then it continued on my App.  It is still like that even today.  Finally, I called the Airline and spoke with a supervisor and she corrected the issue with the seats, but we can only see them if we go in as a guest and not a member.  I was not in anyway telling you to learn from my experience, but what happened in our case...hope you do not experience this.  In the past, this has not been the case for us.  Hopefully, I clarified that.

Edited by Lastdance

3 hours ago, Lastdance said:

We were told that we could change them on-line also, but when we did, all of our issues began.  Being unable to see the seat map was first, then it continued on my App.  It is still like that even today.  Finally, I called the Airline and spoke with a supervisor and she corrected the issue with the seats, but we can only see them if we go in as a guest and not a member.  I was not in anyway telling you to learn from my experience, but what happened in our case...hope you do not experience this.  In the past, this has not been the case for us.  Hopefully, I clarified that.

Thank you for the explanation.  I totally understand your point now.   This is our first try at FBC and we don't fly out until Oct.  Until then, I am keeping a watchful eye on schedule changes although we are on non-stop flights for the outbound and return trips.

• Like 1

We have refundable tickets (until final payment in June) on Air Canada through Flights by Celebrity. We have seat assignments. The odd thing is that tickets have been issued (I can see the ticket numberson my Aeroplan account) even though we have not paid for them.

On 4/23/2022 at 9:38 AM, Bruin Steve said:

Uh-oh...

Steve, based on your story it sounds like you handled the entire situation much, much better than many of us would or could and I commend you.

• Thanks 2

I finally received a great price for United Polaris from Google air, as I have been getting updates for months.  I called and cancelled my Celebrity Air flights and the game of musical seats, even though I paid for premier; thank goodness that was refunded. We also had a plane change and then were placed in the back of the plane and not together. Celebrity Air was always my go to, but things have changed with them and United, so no biz class is available.  Now I have my seats, excellent times and the 11+ hour flight is, hopefully, exactly what I want...TBD...what could possibly go wrong?  TBD...I am not that naive, but I did my best.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Thanks 1