The Key vs. Vroom & Stream pricing

KKB

OK...if you want or need streaming internet--GET THE KEY!

For only $3/day more per person you get all those benefits (including Vroom & Stream).

The Chops Grill meal more than makes up for the price difference!

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only if you are traveling solo. Otherwise it’s a total waste of money. Internet package goes down the more devices u get. Plus why get internet for everyone when u can share. I don’t understand why so many people all need their own internet at the same time?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, renza said:

Only if you are traveling solo. Otherwise it’s a total waste of money. Internet package goes down the more devices u get. Plus why get internet for everyone when u can share. I don’t understand why so many people all need their own internet at the same time?

Oh, we shared regular internet between 5 of us (3 YA kids!).

But I know some want/need it. For the price difference, easy decision (especially if solo!)

• Like 1

Solo traveler and got the Key yesterday (14-days) for $391.86 and VROOM 1 device was priced at $302.26.  The priority embarkation, debarkation and carry-on luggage service alone are worth the extra $90. ❤️ Of course, for 1 person, it's a no brainer. 😄  You tube has many reviews on the Key. 

Exactly, for only one person it might be worthy, but for more than 2 I'm not so sure.

The math is very simple, you can usually get one Voom package for TWO devices for less than a half it would cost to purchase TWO individual packages.

So you should be making the comparison between the individual VOOM packages with two or more devices included, and the Key, not with the VOOM individual packages. You should see the price difference is not as close as you thought. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

Exactly, for only one person it might be worthy, but for more than 2 I'm not so sure.

The math is very simple, you can usually get one Voom package for TWO devices for less than a half it would cost to purchase TWO individual packages.

So you should be making the comparison between the individual VOOM packages with two or more devices included, and the Key, not with the VOOM individual packages. You should see the price difference is not as close as you thought. 

AHH...point taken.

OK, good for solo traveler then!

4 hours ago, KKB said:

OK...if you want or need streaming internet--GET THE KEY!

For only $3/day more per person you get all those benefits (including Vroom & Stream).

The Chops Grill meal more than makes up for the price difference!

The Key is $31.99/day compared to Voom surf & stream being $23.99 for my Oasis cruise.   I think I'll avoid the gimmicky cash grab.

Edited by jerseyjjs
  • Like 3

In my case, the difference was 2.39 per person per day for the Key 17.99/day vs. the Voom Surf/Stream for 2 devices, 15.60/day.  There are only 2 of us in the cabin, so it made sense, for the Chops lunch, but especially for the priority tender, since we have 2 tender ports in Greece.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nautical but Nice said:

In my case, the difference was 2.39 per person per day for the Key 17.99/day vs. the Voom Surf/Stream for 2 devices, 15.60/day.  There are only 2 of us in the cabin, so it made sense, for the Chops lunch, but especially for the priority tender, since we have 2 tender ports in Greece.  

If you both need to be on the internet at the same time it maybe worth it but u can share the internet and just pay for one device. 

We are on our first RCI cruise and chose the key. We landed by 9am on cruise day and being able to board early was worth it for us. Didn’t want to sit around airport all day.

Plus we both use Voom Surf & Stream so the price differential of $100 or so was worth it for the early boarding.

I’m not sure I would purchase it for every trip but it made this one, our first, very easy.

Is stream only needed for watching movies on your device or would you still need stream to say post picture on Cruise Critic?

and when buying the 2 device package for one person, does that allow the other passenger in your cabin to use their laptop at the same time the original purchaser is using their device?

Edited by Jimbo

20 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

In my planner the Key is $10 more a day that the surf & stream internet and $14 more a day than surf which is all I need.

I've been afraid of just getting surf. How much difference would I notice between surf and surf and stream on grandeur. I'm boarding grandeur a week from Wednesday. 

I wouldnt mind internet more days of surf works ok. I do play a online game which is what I'm afraid wouldnt work with just surf. 

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Is stream only needed for watching movies on your device or would you still need stream to say post picture on Cruise Critic?

and when buying the 2 device package for one person, does that allow the other passenger in your cabin to use their laptop at the same time the original purchaser is using their device?

If you have 2 devices you will have 2 passwords. Different accounts so both devices can be used at the same time.

What I've read about grandeur is it didnt work from some cabins is my caveat.

On liberty wifi barely or didnt work from cafe on promenade. I went up to WJ or deck 14 near diamond cafe and worked just fine. People who tried using it from the cafe asked for money back.

....in response to can both people use it from the cabin. ... some cabins have better wifi than others imo.ive only used surf and stream .. not surf for my basis of experience.

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've been afraid of just getting surf. How much difference would I notice between surf and surf and stream on grandeur. I'm boarding grandeur a week from Wednesday. 

I wouldnt mind internet more days of surf works ok. I do play a online game which is what I'm afraid wouldnt work with just surf. 

I’ve gotten it twice on Oasis and once on Anthem and it’s fine for me. I really only email, text and check news. I’m not trying to post on FB or anything like that. I have been able to post on here. Just text not pictures.

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

I have always gotten stream except when I cruised Liberty back in Dec.  After 3 days of dealing with the catastrophically slow service of Surf I went to the Voom desk and upgraded.  It was worthless as far as I was concerned.  It was like old dial service.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I have always gotten stream except when I cruised Liberty back in Dec.  After 3 days of dealing with the catastrophically slow service of Surf I went to the Voom desk and upgraded.  It was worthless as far as I was concerned.  It was like old dial service.

Well I think that answers my question about downgrading to just surf on grandeur. No .. i couldnt get into my game. I can do without posting pictures here on cc, but want the option of gaming.

I had no problems posting pictures on cc from liberty from a higher deck. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Well I think that answers my question about downgrading to just surf on grandeur. No .. i couldnt get into my game. I can do without posting pictures here on cc, but want the option of gaming.

I had no problems posting pictures on cc from liberty from a higher deck. 

The savings of going with surf just isn't worth it to me. Depending on the game might have problems.

In the Key descripption, it says you get priotity boarding at your scheduled time. Were you able to get an earlier time because of the Key? We booked late and the earliest embarkation is now 1pm; would be willing to get the key for one of our cabins so that they could embark and book our shows.

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

If you downsize the pics before posting (please do even if you have Stream) and have a bit of patience, Surf is fine. 

1 hour ago, forgotmyCCname said:

In the Key descripption, it says you get priotity boarding at your scheduled time. Were you able to get an earlier time because of the Key? We booked late and the earliest embarkation is now 1pm; would be willing to get the key for one of our cabins so that they could embark and book our shows.

yes! We booked last minute and had a 2:00pm boarding time. Our flight landed at 9am and that was a lot of time to waste. We bought the Key, took an Uber from MCO to Port Canaveral and boarded at 11:30. Was fantasic!