Airfare prices for Alaska cruises is insane.

tallnthensome

I started looking at airfare from ATL to SEA as soon as schedules started posting 11 months in advance. They were in the $700-$800 pp range for nonstops on Alaska or Delta. Connections on other airlines were only marginally cheaper. Then, someone suggested that I waited until the day that Southwest posts their schedules and fares, and be ready to pounce.

So I did. We locked in $300pp airfare flying nonstop on Southwest. The only caveat was that, for our return flight, we had to book a 6:00am flight the following morning after our cruise so we spent an extra day exploring Seattle. It was actually a nice chance of pace, and we were much more rested when we got home. 

I should mention that Southwest lost our big suitcase on our way to the cruise, NEVER to be found again! One of the reasons for wanting nonstop flights was exactly to minimize the chances of this happening. We spent the morning before getting on the cruise at Target in downtown Seattle, purchasing a brand new wardrobe for the entire family. 

Edited by Tapi

We live in Houston and our daughter lives just outside of Seattle. We usually paid in the low 3’s to fly. Now the prices have doubled, so not typical of the prices even nine months ago.

• Like 1

We need a hopper flight from Seattle to Vancouver. Price was $100 back in Jan/Feb. Now ranging from $250 - $800 depending on the flight. It is a 58 minute flight....sigh.....we will be taking amtrak bus or train up to vancouver....

1 hour ago, barbienj said:

We need a hopper flight from Seattle to Vancouver. Price was $100 back in Jan/Feb. Now ranging from $250 - $800 depending on the flight. It is a 58 minute flight....sigh.....we will be taking amtrak bus or train up to vancouver....

We are going by bus.  Canada Place to SeaTac.  When you consider the waiting time at the airport, it is almost as fast as by plane.  Cost is $82.

DON

2 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

We are going by bus.  Canada Place to SeaTac.  When you consider the waiting time at the airport, it is almost as fast as by plane.  Cost is $82.

DON

We are going by bus this year. We will be taking the Princess transfers from Seattle to Vancouver and Vancouver to Seattle.  Not ideal but would rather not go through all the hassles at the airport and the high cost of airfare.

Have you used the bus option before?  If so, I have a couple of questions for you.

4 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

We are going by bus this year. We will be taking the Princess transfers from Seattle to Vancouver and Vancouver to Seattle.  Not ideal but would rather not go through all the hassles at the airport and the high cost of airfare.

Have you used the bus option before?  If so, I have a couple of questions for you.

We have not.

DON

• Thanks 1

We booked in January as 2 one-ways (on a Southbound cruise vs. RT). We paid $1500/person for first class AUS-SEA-ANC, and YVR-SFO-AUS. Originally, it was supposed to be YVR-IAH-AUS, but the IAH flight was discontinued. Air Canada is starting direct YVR-AUS in June, but our cruise in in May... almost made me rebook the cruise.

On our 2019 Alaska Cruise, the flights were about $1000/pp. 

This was our "consolation trip" after we canceled our Baltic cruise - overnight in St. Petersburg was supposed to be the highlight. We're still spending thousands less than we would have on that cruise not to mention Europe flights, so we were good with it even if it was more than we wanted to pay.

You think that flights to AK are high.  Some of the flights within AK are ridiculous and always have been.  For example, a 23 minute flight from Petersburg to Wrangell costs a minimum of $116 round trip.

DON

On 4/24/2022 at 3:34 PM, diesel1973 said:

You might luck out and be scheduled on an American flight. Years ago I purchased an Alaskan flight and was operated by American.

Who knows but we booked American in March 2020 - $390 per person for 6 of us.  I watched and watched forever and recently gave up.  Could not find anything under $900 ( and that was not even not-stop!) Finally found Delta non-stop for $470 each.  Now I still have $2500 of American credits - but their fares are INSANE compared to all other airlines for same trips.  I guess I will never use those credits.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/23/2022 at 1:32 PM, Mr and Mrs C said:

We could not find a direct flight that was reasonbale either, (out of toronto or Ottawa), so we are flying into Vancouver, it is a 2.5 hour drive. Luckily for us, my brother in law lives in BC and will take us over to the port.

We are struggling to find decent prices out of Toronto, I never even thought to fly into YVR..I guess my only question would be if one doesnt have family there, what would be the best way to get to the Seattle cruise port?  Anyone done this?

I had a very reasonable $400pp or so booked through Easy Air non stop from Washington DC (IAD) to Seattle for 8/21/22 cruise, but than we had to change plans and are now going on 8/7/22 cruise. I ended up booking Alaska Air for $717pp direct flights and now I am crossing my fingers they dont go on strike. My friend that lives in Seattle said she was trying to visit her relatives in Mexico during their spring break and tix were $1,100 pp. 

Upthread PP suggested to keep checking for better fares and times (thank you), I might do that closer to the cruise, since we are somewhat flexible (can fly in/out day or two earlier).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

We are struggling to find decent prices out of Toronto, I never even thought to fly into YVR..I guess my only question would be if one doesnt have family there, what would be the best way to get to the Seattle cruise port?  Anyone done this?

Best - IMO, that's to fly direct in the first place rather than add a separately-booked land trip and 4ish hours to the equation! But your options are - Amtrak Bus, QuickShuttle Bus, FlixBus (if your dates work, they have a very limited schedule at the moment as they literally just announced their presence last week, first day running is June 1), renting a car one-way, adding a separate short hop flight (tickets even now are often down around the hundred buck ballpark, but VERY dependent on date and time of flight...), or a truly ridiculous 'take ferry to Victoria then a different ferry to Seattle' option if you have at least a whole day free!

Of these, QS is the least inconvenient for cruisers as they actually have a stop at the port. But frankly I'd consider flying out of Buffalo to Seattle - where at least you can front-load the extra land travel/border crossing - as US domestic flights tend to be cheaper than Canadian ones, bigger market, more airlines, much more competition.

• Like 1

Have you've seen diesel prices? Jet fuel is close to diesel in the fractioning ladder.... 

Airfares won't be dropping until diesel does,  and even then it may not be immediate.  Airlines (and cruise lines) do hedge their fuel 6-12 months out, but eventually they both have to offset for higher market pricing. 

21 hours ago, nattie said:

I had a very reasonable $400pp or so booked through Easy Air non stop from Washington DC (IAD) to Seattle for 8/21/22 cruise, but than we had to change plans and are now going on 8/7/22 cruise. I ended up booking Alaska Air for $717pp direct flights and now I am crossing my fingers they dont go on strike. My friend that lives in Seattle said she was trying to visit her relatives in Mexico during their spring break and tix were $1,100 pp. 

Upthread PP suggested to keep checking for better fares and times (thank you), I might do that closer to the cruise, since we are somewhat flexible (can fly in/out day or two earlier).

We have Alaska Air booked for the flight there and still do not have a return flight booked as prices just are not on our side. Very nervous about Alaska Air canceling on us due to the potential strike. Ackkk...

5 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

We are booked on Alaska Air too, please do not say that horrid word "strike"

I don’t think a strike is in any way imminent. The National Mediation Board has to approve it if negotiations totally break down. There is also a mandatory 30 day cooling off period before it can happen. They can also be ordered back to the bargaining table. Right now it is just a card in the union’s pocket. I don’t see it happening this summer at all. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gray Lady said:

I don’t think a strike is in any way imminent. The National Mediation Board has to approve it if negotiations totally break down. There is also a mandatory 30 day cooling off period before it can happen. They can also be ordered back to the bargaining table. Right now it is just a card in the union’s pocket. I don’t see it happening this summer at all. 

I hope you're right. Travel is complicated enough as it is without adding a strike!

If you're shopping for flights, be careful about codeshares. Check both airlines involved. I decided I just cannot bear the thought of Amtrak's bus to Vancouver, so I looked into flights. I found a nonstop Portland to Vancouver on Air Canada. It also showed up on United as a codeshare, but the flight is actually Air Canada. Same flight, but United charges $200 more and I'd have to spend another $50 for a checked bag. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

1 minute ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I hope you're right. Travel is complicated enough as it is without adding a strike!

Yes, it is hectic with so many unknowns due to increased demand, fuel costs, etc, etc, etc. We are also booked on Alaska in 3 weeks. Just trying to stay healthy to pass that pesky little Covid test.

• Like 1

We lucked out- bought tickets in early Feb on Air Canada. Direct flight from Denver to Vancouver business class cost half what the economy ticket now costs on the same flight. Our business class return on United from Anchorage is the same as what the economy tickets cost.

Now if I had only been so clever about flying back east later this summer 😕

• Haha 1