Just want to confirm what you need to leave ship at a port

love2rvcamp

Just to confirm in order to leave the ship when you arrive at a port is to just show your cruise ID card.  You don't need your passport to get off the ship for an excursion.  And for reference I am talking about ports in the Bahamas, Freeport and Bimini.

Thank you, first time cruising with my elderly mother who doesn't have a passport, she has her driver license and certified birth certificate.  Just wanted to make sure she can get off at Bimini as I was going to book an excursion to the beach. 

16 minutes ago, love2rvcamp said:

Thank you, first time cruising with my elderly mother who doesn't have a passport, she has her driver license and certified birth certificate.  Just wanted to make sure she can get off at Bimini as I was going to book an excursion to the beach. 

As noted just her Sail and Sign and Photo ID

We always took our ID with us when we got off the ship, although we never needed them for anything. It said that whenever we left the ship, but they never asked for it when we got back on. Of course, in general we'd have our ID with us anyway, as you should always have some ID with you.

11 hours ago, kctwinmommy said:

We always took our ID with us when we got off the ship, although we never needed them for anything. It said that whenever we left the ship, but they never asked for it when we got back on. Of course, in general we'd have our ID with us anyway, as you should always have some ID with you.

At some ports you're required to show a photo ID along with your Sail-n-Sign card to get through security.  I can't remember which ones, but yes, always take some form of photo ID with you.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, groundloop said:

At some ports you're required to show a photo ID along with your Sail-n-Sign card to get through security.  I can't remember which ones, but yes, always take some form of photo ID with you.  

Puerto Rico for sure

12 hours ago, kctwinmommy said:

In our experience if you arrive back to the ship at the end of the day when there is a crush of people re-boarding they are less likely to ask for ID, but that is the only time we haven't been asked for it.

53 minutes ago, MisterOJ2 said:

I can't remember the last time I was asked to see a photo ID to get back on the ship. It's been so long that I can't even remember if it's ever actually happened, but maybe it has.

Exactly! We went to 4 ports this last cruise and not a single one asked for our ID when we got back on the ship. Only 1 had a long line of people too. But all the others just asked for the S&S card.

• Like 1

Once in Key West, I was asked for photo id, but had somehow lost my driver's license while we were off the ship. (Weeks later after I applied, paid for, and received a duplicate, someone mailed it to me). I was, however, allowed back onboard the ship.

I can guarantee that some ports require it.  Two ports we've been to, out of maybe 15 spread out over 5 cruises since the restart, have had officers (with guns) at the entrance to the port inspecting IDs.  So yes, carry a photo ID with you when you get off the ship.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, groundloop said:

I can guarantee that some ports require it.

Oh, I'm sure they likely do exist. 

But I do have to say I've never heard of anyone being stranded at a port simply because they didn't have a photo ID to go along with their S&S card.  Maybe you can help point me at some examples of that?

4 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

But I do have to say I've never heard of anyone being stranded at a port simply because they didn't have a photo ID to go along with their S&S card.  Maybe you can help point me at some examples of that?

Why not just do what they ask you to do ... carry your photo ID.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

Yes, see my example above in post #12. Somehow I must have dropped my picture id (drivers license) and was allowed back on the ship in Key West although I was asked for it.

Just now, lostsoulcruiser said:

Wife and I have never needed a photo id since the sign and sail card has your picture embedded in it.  We take our passport with us just in case stuff happens (medical , etc).

But security at the port can't see that. I always have a form of ID with me when I leave the house and leaving the ship is no different, even if I don't need it to re-enter the port area. Having your passport is a form of ID, of course, but many choose to leave that in the cabin safe (and everyone makes different choices in this regard so it's all good).

• Like 2

Not saying the folks posting here are mistaken but our experience post pandemic is that nearly every port is wanting to see both a photo ID and a S/S card to re-enter the port terminal.  ABSOLUTELY take both with you.  And our experience entails something like 48 cruise days since last August.

Also, some ports are insisting on proof of vaccination.  A photo of our vax card on our phone has always been sufficient.  I'm not sure if I've ever been asked to produce it in the Caribbean however.  What I can tell you is that in some places in Europe (Germany, for example) one is compelled to carry one's Passport and actual CDC card and to produce it for inspection regularly... like at a restaurant.

Edited by jsglow

i used to be in the "no passport off the ship camp", but i realize now how tenuous that can be if you run into a crazy  situation.

its already a nightmare if you miss the ship, but having all your documents will surely make it easier get home..

yes, normally a dl is enough, but i would be pissed at myself if i misssed the boat somehow and realized my passport was in my safe on the ship.

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

Not saying the folks posting here are mistaken but our experience post pandemic is that nearly every port is wanting to see both a photo ID and a S/S card to re-enter the port terminal.  ABSOLUTELY take both with you.  And our experience entails something like 48 cruise days since last August.

Also, some ports are insisting on proof of vaccination.  A photo of our vax card on our phone has always been sufficient.  I'm not sure if I've ever been asked to produce it in the Caribbean however.  What I can tell you is that in some places in Europe (Germany, for example) one is compelled to carry one's Passport and actual CDC card and to produce it for inspection regularly... like at a restaurant.

I was going to say the same.  We did Key West, Freeport, Nassau and HMC.  HMC was the only place we didn't have to show it. 
I'm also pretty sure we had to show our passports to leave the secure area of the dock in Freeport. 

We did not have to show proof of vax anywhere though. 

24 minutes ago, csoud68 said:

i used to be in the "no passport off the ship camp", but i realize now how tenuous that can be if you run into a crazy  situation.

its already a nightmare if you miss the ship, but having all your documents will surely make it easier get home..

yes, normally a dl is enough, but i would be pissed at myself if i misssed the boat somehow and realized my passport was in my safe on the ship.

If you miss the boat, members of the crew will go to your room, take any important documents from your safe (like your passport) and leave it with one of the cruise line representatives at the port.