Holland America Line Westerdam is coming to Australa!

From Cruise Industry News: https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/27331-holland-americas-westerdam-will-reposition-from-asia-to-australia-nz.html

Citing continued uncertainty around access to ports in Asia, Holland America Line will reposition Westerdam to Australia and New Zealand in the fall and cancel planned Asia voyages during that time, according to a press statement.

The change impacts 11 sailings scheduled between Sept. 25, 2022, through Feb. 27, 2023.

“We’re sorry for the inconvenience for guests scheduled on these sailings, but we felt it was important to make this decision given the current uncertainties around access in the ports we visit in Asia,” said Beth Bodensteiner, chief commercial officer of Holland America Line. “We are contacting all impacted guests to help them rebook a cruise on one of our many worldwide sailing options, including the new Westerdam itineraries.”

Depending on their original itinerary, guests will be automatically rebooked on comparable Asia voyages either later this season or next year. Impacted guests who wish to sail in Australia, New Zealand, South America and Asia from fall 2022 through spring 2023, including the new sailings on Westerdam, will receive a $200 onboard credit.

The Westerdam will return to service June 12 in Seattle, Washington, marking the completion of return to cruise operations for all Holland America Line ships following the cruising pause in spring 2020.

The Westerdam will sail seven-day “Alaskan Explorer” cruises round trip from its homeport in Seattle and is one of six ships cruising to Alaska for Holland America Line this summer.

Following the Alaska season, the Westerdam will redeploy to Australia and New Zealand, add Southeast Asia ports in the winter and then resume full Asia cruises in February 2023.

“With the reopening of cruising in Australia, we’re able to create some wonderful new itineraries exploring the urban excitement of Sydney, New Zealand’s wine country, and must-see destinations such as the Great Barrier Reef,” said Bodensteiner. “We will be publishing these new itineraries on hollandamerica.com in the coming days.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

From Cruise Industry News: https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/27331-holland-americas-westerdam-will-reposition-from-asia-to-australia-nz.html

Citing continued uncertainty around access to ports in Asia, Holland America Line will reposition Westerdam to Australia and New Zealand in the fall and cancel planned Asia voyages during that time, according to a press statement.

The change impacts 11 sailings scheduled between Sept. 25, 2022, through Feb. 27, 2023.

“We’re sorry for the inconvenience for guests scheduled on these sailings, but we felt it was important to make this decision given the current uncertainties around access in the ports we visit in Asia,” said Beth Bodensteiner, chief commercial officer of Holland America Line. “We are contacting all impacted guests to help them rebook a cruise on one of our many worldwide sailing options, including the new Westerdam itineraries.”

Depending on their original itinerary, guests will be automatically rebooked on comparable Asia voyages either later this season or next year. Impacted guests who wish to sail in Australia, New Zealand, South America and Asia from fall 2022 through spring 2023, including the new sailings on Westerdam, will receive a $200 onboard credit.

The Westerdam will return to service June 12 in Seattle, Washington, marking the completion of return to cruise operations for all Holland America Line ships following the cruising pause in spring 2020.

The Westerdam will sail seven-day “Alaskan Explorer” cruises round trip from its homeport in Seattle and is one of six ships cruising to Alaska for Holland America Line this summer.

Following the Alaska season, the Westerdam will redeploy to Australia and New Zealand, add Southeast Asia ports in the winter and then resume full Asia cruises in February 2023.

“With the reopening of cruising in Australia, we’re able to create some wonderful new itineraries exploring the urban excitement of Sydney, New Zealand’s wine country, and must-see destinations such as the Great Barrier Reef,” said Bodensteiner. “We will be publishing these new itineraries on hollandamerica.com in the coming days.”

But NZ is still closed to cruise ships, lol.

• Like 3

Westerdam, ho-hum, just a cookie cutter of Noordam/Oosterdam they have based here over the past number of years. Just need Zuiderdam now to complete the set.

Hmm, Noordam is still going to be here as well? Not sure we can handle two dam ships.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Westerdam, ho-hum, just a cookie cutter of Noordam/Oosterdam they have based here over the past number of years. Just need Zuiderdam now to complete the set.

Hmm, Noordam is still going to be here as well? Not sure we can handle two dam ships.

If there is excess capacity, maybe there will be some bargains to be had.🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

I was wondering that as well.

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

If there is excess capacity, maybe there will be some bargains to be had.🙂

Would be nice. They are dam nice ships, which usually do 2 week itineraries. Some slightly shorter ones would be nice.

I wish they would just state dates rather than seasons.  Fall 2022, translates to Spring 2022.  Spring 2023 translates to Autumn 2023.  Can they not just say September to March and leave it at that.

Edited by onlyslightlymad

I am a HAL regular and see no reason for them to offer shorter cruises. My shortest cruise was 12 days. After that I decided I wanted to cruise for longer. HAL regularly offered those options. The longer at sea the happier I am.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dillpickle48 said:

I am a HAL regular and see no reason for them to offer shorter cruises. My shortest cruise was 12 days. After that I decided I wanted to cruise for longer. HAL regularly offered those options. The longer at sea the happier I am.

The problem is the South Pacific and Nz might not be opened by then. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dillpickle48 said:

They have those itineraries available on Noordam already though, and I think they are looking to change-up their itineraries a bit for Westerdam. It reads as if they are targeting domestic itineraries for her.

One of our favourite cruises was a Southern Australia cruise. Sailed from Sydney to Melbourne then Tassie stopping at Bernie, Hobart, and Port Arthur before heading around the bottom and up the West Coast. Followed by 3 stops in South Australia and 3 stops in Western Australia and on to Fremantle. Great cruise and could be possible for the Westerdam.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, arxcards said:

They have those itineraries available on Noordam already though, and I think they are looking to change-up their itineraries a bit for Westerdam. It reads as if they are targeting domestic itineraries for her.

That would be fantastic. Don't really fancy another NZ cruise, but a domestic Christmas cruise would be fantastic.

• 1 month later...