HAL Volendam or Regal Princess

slimbyspring

I am looking between these two cruises for the week in between Christmas and NY for my husband and me (mid 40s).  We have only done Carnival in the past with our kids.  I am a little worried the Volendam will not be in service still, but of course that is always a risk.  I like both itineraries so that is not an issue.  Just curious if anyone has sailed both lines (or boats even) and what are the pluses/negatives with both.  We just want a week to relax before heading into 2023.

I personally would not book a cruise on Volendam until I knew she actually completed a real cruise.  The war looks like it is not ending anytime soon and who knows how long it will be used as a floating hotel for refugees in Rotterdam.  I also wonder how long it will take HAL to clean/repair it to get it back in shape for cruising; nothing against the people from Ukraine, but I know when people get housing for free they don't take care of it like normal paying customers.

• Like 1

The Volendam contract is only for 3 months.  It is not being used as a residence.  It is simply a holding hotel until the Netherlands can relocate persons to a more permanent traditional residence.  Having witnessed cruise ships being used for theses purposes they are generally released after the initial term.   

as to the differences between ships - those are vast.  You need to decide what you hold most important when cruising. 

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

as to the differences between ships - those are vast.  

This isn't comparing the blonde to the brunette - more like comparing the horse to the human.  So whatever floats your boat...literally.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, slimbyspring said:

I am looking between these two cruises for the week in between Christmas and NY for my husband and me (mid 40s).  We have only done Carnival in the past with our kids.  I am a little worried the Volendam will not be in service still, but of course that is always a risk.  I like both itineraries so that is not an issue.  Just curious if anyone has sailed both lines (or boats even) and what are the pluses/negatives with both.  We just want a week to relax before heading into 2023.

Oh my, just booked this and did not know this was the ship being used.  Thank you for posting.  It is a minor problem compared to what these poor people are going through but now I feel like maybe this wouldn't be the best Christmas cruise (since I'm about to book my air...)

Edited by Mom39

Looked it up and the ship is currently schedule to resume regular cruising on July 3.  So, hopefully any issues will be resolved by Christmas.  I'm not changing my booking.  Fingers crossed.  I had booked the Asia cruise which was just canceled but I hadn't booked my air and was getting concerned anyway, so I'm glad HAL canceled.  Am looking forward to the Panama Canal.  I booked the ship for the ports but am kinda looking forward to the small-ship feel.

I've sailed the Regal, and it's definitely not a floating resort. It's a beautiful ship that has great entertainment and lots of daytime activities if you wish to partake. There  aren't any hiry legs coontests at the pool or other shenanegans. Just a very nice cruise on a very nice ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Volendam is my favorite current HAL ship.  I have sailed a Christmas/New Year's Cruise on Volendam and a New Year's Cruise on Regal Princess' just older sister Royal Princess.  The difference was striking, but both--and I really mean this--in a positive way.  The cruise experience is different because of the size of the ship and the entertainment offerings available.  Regal Princess will be much more modern in decor.  Service/friendliness of crew/staff aboard are equal.  (Nationalities of the crew/staff are quite similar.)  Canaletto on HAL has improved in recent years.  But, if the Executive Chef on Regal Princess is at the "top of his game", the Italian entrees and pastas are superior to what I have eaten on HAL.  (On Royal Princess, I ordered Fettuccine Alfredo that was extremely disappointing.  It really does depend on who is doing and supervising the cooking in the Galley.)

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I have concerns about this ship actually returning to service, at least anytime soon.  I’d be surprised if it ever comes back.

If the Volendam does not return to HAL service, may I shed many tears on that news?  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

If the Volendam does not return to HAL service, may I shed many tears on that news?  

Feel free 🙂.  I know some love the old ships.  I just don’t get it.  That said I adore the pinnacle class ships and I’m pretty sure people wonder why.  At least I have sailed on the volendam so I do speak from experience.  I’m sure many will miss this ship if it sails into the sunset.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

That said I adore the pinnacle class ships and I’m pretty sure people wonder why

There are good reasons to be a Pinnacle Class ship fan.  The improvement made with the Hydrothermal Pool was one.  Sel de Mer's addition along with the NY Deli & Pizza and the Rolling Stone Rock Room are significant pluses for me.  The decor?  The entertainment in and the use of The World Stage?  The Ocean Bar design?  These are disappointments for me.  Only the use of The World Stage could be easily changed.  To change the Ocean Bar, a bulkhead would need to be removed to open the entire space into one lounge.  Probably impossible to do for structural reasons.  And, whoever thought it was a great idea to have the majority of seats at the bar out in the walkway next to the lounge?  And, if there is some piano music, that music is in the section of the lounge that is separated from the bar by that bulkhead. 

There is not a Class of HAL ships on which I would not sail.  Each Class, indeed, each ship, has it's positives and it's negatives.   

Should we consider discussing what that odd sculpture on the Eurodam's Atrium ceiling is supposed to represent?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I would pick the Princess ship in a heartbeat.  I have no interest in Hal’s old ships.  Like the other poster I have concerns about this ship actually returning to service, at least anytime soon.  I’d be surprised if it ever comes back.

This^

CCL is likely going to dilute more shares to cover enormous debt. IMO more cutbacks are inevitable, and Volendam wouldn’t be the first of the classic, intimate, “older” gals to find demise. At least the ship is generating revenue from the government now. It maybe what eventually saves her. 

These are really not comparable ships and will give you a very different experience.

Volendam was built in the 90s and is an older and smaller design. 1,400 passenger capacity. Haven’t seen a post pandemic when & where for the R class ships but entertainment is the main stage plus Billboard onboard. They do not have the Music Walk which is Key to HAL entertainment. Possibly live from Lincoln center is onboard as well. Dining consists of MDR, Pinnacle Grill, Canaletto, and the Lido (including dive in  taco bar). It will be a much more intimate and traditional voyage. Also built before the explosion in popularity of private balconies so much higher proportion of ocean view staterooms than modern ships have. If you do not like the main stage show; or the one or two music venue entertainer you will be on your own in entertainment for the evening. 

Regal Princess on the other hand was built in in the early 2010s and is a relatively new design carrying 3,500 passengers. Princess still is building (or maybe built their last one just now) ships with this design and a slightly newer variation with an added deck. There are 11 or 12 restaurants. Many entertainment venues to choose from. They also have movies under the stars. Not at all intimate ship or experience - this is a big ship experience though not one of the mega 5K+ ships. Way more balcony cabins. 

Which ship you choose is entirely subjective and depends on what kind of vacation and experience you want. It is about like comparing a super shuttle, an Uber and a limo. The right answer depends entirely on you. 

• Like 2

We sailed on the Volendam in 2018 to Alaska.  Loved the covered promenade deck for walks.  Nice bow area for viewing.  She felt intimate and laid back.  Food was good and the shows we did see were fine.  We get up and go to bed early.  I like the smaller passenger ships.  Only you can decide.  

• Like 1