Additional Tip Charge for Specialty Restaurants

Fijalclarkski

Right now it seems that the prices on our New Zealand cruise next year have increased by 18% already, so it will be interesting to see if they try to add it again on the night...

Typically I would have tipped more than that anyway in Murano, so not a big deal, but the uncertainty and disguised nature of this change is unwelcome. 

We just booked the Steakhouse for our December cruise on the Beyond.  $55 per person, and then they added the 18% gratuity.  Someone in an earlier post said this was double dipping.  Well, food is included in your cruise price, so even paying extra for the specialty restaurants (with our without the added gratuity) is double dipping!

It is a new change, to add a gratuity to the specialty restaurants.  Instead of raising the prices in the US, they add a gratuity.  They changed the wording as well.  The cover charge used to include gratuity and now it is added.  

• 1 month later...

So, if you reserved and prepaid fully for your specialty dining before the “new” policy of adding in 18% gratuities to prepaid reservations, will you expect to receive a bill for the 18% at the end of your dining experience?

To rephrase, I realize that they now add 18% to all online/prepaid/pre-cruise dining charges, but will they “retroactively” surprise those who paid months ago with a bill at the end of the meal for the additional 18%?

And I assume that they can track those who now book and pay pre-cruise with the 18% included so those reservations are not charged an additional 18% at the end of the meal…now that would be double tipping🤨.

8 hours ago, iflyjets said:

So, if you reserved and prepaid fully for your specialty dining before the “new” policy of adding in 18% gratuities to prepaid reservations, will you expect to receive a bill for the 18% at the end of your dining experience?

No, I would just pay the gratuity in cash to my server like I've always done in the past.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

No, I would just pay the gratuity in cash to my server like I've always done in the past.

That's exactly what we did---- And, the Server kept the tip for themselves and didn't have to share it with anyone--- it was not " pooled "---- That's what we were told many times by Servers , Maitre'ds , and a Hotel Manager that we asked about it.

Since we haven't cruised since Covid, it appears that the policy has changed as18% gratuity is now added onto the bill .

In that case, my " guess " is that tips are now " pooled " in that restaurant.

( I much prefer tipping our Server directly and he/she keeps the tip for themselves--- it's an incentive to provide better service ).

5 minutes ago, mugwood said:

Can anyone advise on the same gratuity being added to specialty restaurant drinks, if you have a premium drinks package purchased?

Only on a drink over $15, like anywhere else on board.

14 hours ago, iflyjets said:

To rephrase, I realize that they now add 18% to all online/prepaid/pre-cruise dining charges, but will they “retroactively” surprise those who paid months ago with a bill at the end of the meal for the additional 18%?

And I assume that they can track those who now book and pay pre-cruise with the 18% included so those reservations are not charged an additional 18% at the end of the meal…now that would be double tipping🤨.

We reserved/prepaid the dining package before the Apex April 30 TA and before they started adding the 18% gratuity. We were not charged extra. The upcharge came into effect right before our cruise. Anyone who booked a specialty restaurant on board was charged the upcharge. 

We just booked the Murano (pre booking discount) and the lawn club grill (first night discount) and were charged an extra 18% at checkout.  No problem.  I think that part of the 18% goes to the kitchen staff too.  Or maybe it's pooled for everyone to share equally.  Is it fair?  I really don't care because IMHO it's still worth it and we will tip again after the meal.  when you compare the quality of service and the meal itself it is worth far more than what you are paying when going to a good restaurant any where else.  Also, Celebrity does state that gratuities will be added at checkout.  No hidden bait and switch here.  If you don't think it is worth it than the answer is very simple.  As stated by a few others: "Eat at the main dining room".  

I booked Eden for a Dec cruise months ago, but even though I selected OBC, it was charged to my credit card.  Last week I saw the book your dining ahead of the cruise and save. “It will never be cheaper” or something like that was the tag line.  I thought great, a chance to use up our large OBC.  Cancelled the original booking.  Rebooked and confirmed it was charged to OBC.  I was very surprised to see the  “discount” price was higher than the original booking because they added the 18%. It’s not the few dollars, as we usually tip in specialty dining.  It’s the point of advertising a lower price that simply isn’t anymore.

21 hours ago, Texter2 said:

We reserved/prepaid the dining package before the Apex April 30 TA and before they started adding the 18% gratuity. We were not charged extra. The upcharge came into effect right before our cruise. Anyone who booked a specialty restaurant on board was charged the upcharge. 

Thank you. That seems reasonable. We will certainly find out come our November Beyond cruise. I booked five nights of specialty dining and pre-paid them all back in April using OBC.

17 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

I booked Eden for a Dec cruise months ago, but even though I selected OBC, it was charged to my credit card.  Last week I saw the book your dining ahead of the cruise and save. “It will never be cheaper” or something like that was the tag line.  I thought great, a chance to use up our large OBC.  Cancelled the original booking.  Rebooked and confirmed it was charged to OBC.  I was very surprised to see the  “discount” price was higher than the original booking because they added the 18%. It’s not the few dollars, as we usually tip in specialty dining.  It’s the point of advertising a lower price that simply isn’t anymore.

Same here. I added another night of specialty dining a few days ago and used OBC. The price after “early booking discount” and then 18% gratuity added was about $7.20 more than my previously made reservations for the same restaurant. Not really an issue, but the new policy just seems different and a little off-putting for those who have cruised Celebrity for decades.

But, I used OBC (“funny money”), so, no problem.

3 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

It could very well be that people weren't tipping in the specialty restaurants, thinking they are part of the automatic gratuities.

That’s me.  When Celebrity said gratuities were included, I thought they meant gratuities were included.

Someone remind me.  How much do we tip the Captain?

Edited by zitsky
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, zitsky said:

That’s me.  When Celebrity said gratuities were included, I thought they meant gratuities were included.

Someone remind me.  How much do we tip the Captain?

So, let me think --- You go into a Specialty restaurant , order as much as you want ( probably 2 of this, 3 of that, and, don't forget my ,and get me another , etc etc) and don't leave a few $$ for the Server -- you know , the person that bust their butt hoping ( expecting !! ) you would recognize their exceptional service and hand him/her a few $$ -- then just walk out ?  

" Someone remind me.  How much do we tip the Captain?"

Now , you're all " mixed up " --- Ya don't have to leave the Captain no tip-- They are very well paid ---  , unlike the Server you " stiff ". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

So, let me think --- You go into a Specialty restaurant , order as much as you want ( probably 2 of this, 3 of that, and, don't forget my ,and get me another , etc etc) and don't leave a few $$ for the Server -- you know , the person that bust their butt hoping ( expecting !! ) you would recognize their exceptional service and hand him/her a few $$ -- then just walk out ?  

Now , you're all " mixed up " --- Ya don't have to leave the Captain no tip-- They are very well paid ---  , unlike the Server you " stiff ". 

Most sources put the salary range for the captain of large cruise lines , of which Celebrity is of course one, in excess of $150,000/year.  If one thinks a server, who as you aptly state, the one who busts their butt for us, even more so for the clowns who seem to think it almost a game with the requests/expectations of I paid dearly I’m getting my $$ worth, and then stiff them…well the vast majority of these folks are paid well below minimum wage.  Just pony up the $$ already and stop the phony indignant tipping nonsense.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

You know something.  I consider myself pretty generous.  But when I go into a restaurant they don't normally say "Don't worry zitsky.  It's always included."  Your problem is with Celebrity not me.  I should report you to the mods for hurting my feelings.  Why don't you go and ask Celebrity to change their website?  I get it, you're going to tell me that "tips don't mean tips".  I'm sorry.  

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-deals/always-included

icon_gratuities.svg Tips
We’ve got you covered. Just sit back and relax while we make your vacation as memorable as possible.
Edited by zitsky

50 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I should report you to the mods 

No , No , please don’t report me .( LOL)

If I hurt your “ feelings “ ( LOL) —how do you think you Server feels when you walk out “ stiffing “ him/her ???

Suggestion— give your Server a few $$ and you  will feel better .

Question:

Let’s say you want a reservation for a Specialty restaurant and there is none.

Later the Manager calls to tell you “ We are now able to accommodate you “.

Ya gonna tell him/her “ Very nice — I would give you a tip , But ,  Celebrity says” It’s Included “ .

Think about it .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I consider myself pretty generous.

All the servers at the specialty restaurants you've been to in the past would beg to differ. It's nice to see Celebrity finally taking this out of the customers' hands and charging up front for gratuities. They should do the same for room service.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

All the servers at the specialty restaurants you've been to in the past would beg to differ. It's nice to see Celebrity finally taking this out of the customers' hands and charging up front for gratuities. They should do the same for room service.

Not sure why you feel the need to be rude.

Why don’t you complain to Celebrity, you know, the company that actually sets the policies and is in charge of marketing?

I did not sign up for a Cruise only rate:  I signed up for All Included.  

Tips were already included in the specialty restaurants' cover charge and/or your prepaid gratuities.  I believe this is just a way of increasing the cover charge without it looking bad.  On our last cruise, I tried to tip our server and he literally wouldn't print me up a bill so that I could sign additional gratuity when I asked.  We were in a premium suite so the cover charge was free for us.  He said even if he gave me a bill and I added gratuity he wouldn't see much if any of it. 

• Like 1