Discovery Princess April 29th Coastal

ceilidh1

No food pictures so far today as we went to the buffet for breakfast and lunch and there was a wide variety of options. I had a great freshly made crepe with Nutella and cream, along with brioche French toast! Standard buffet fare was plentiful. For lunch there was a huge whole salmon plus various carvery meats, tacos, Indian food, salads, but not much in terms of desserts. I had chicken korma, which was good but a little salty. 

DS went to kids club and made friends today. Only 49 kids in total in this sailing. After lunch we checked out the magic demo with the CD. He is good, but my expectations are high…

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Ugh. Just typed out a long post and lost it!

In short - our cabin has the usual, amazing Princess bed. I slept like a baby. Yesterday, in port, there was no tax charged on drinks (very different to NCL 2 weeks ago). Later today there will be a “how to” session for help with ArriveCAN- so it seems it’s not mandatory to do it prior to embarkation.

It just may be a glitch, rhey are supposed to charge Los Angeles County sales tax in addition to the 18%. 

• Like 1

We had a small hiccup this morning with food allergy handling. My wife is celiac, so must be gluten free. 

Day one was great in the buffet with a chef pointing out everything with confidence. MDR for dinner was the usual great handling by a head waiter. 

This morning at the breakfast buffet she had a minor issue with not being able to get gluten free bread because the person closest to it wasn’t allowed to handle it and the person who was able was located at the other end of the counter. A bit of a layout issue but no big deal. But the chef wasn’t confident in the answers about what she could have and then the person who was getting her fresh bacon (the bacon on the line sits on bread to soak up the grease) almost used the tongs from the line instead of fresh ones for the fresh bacon. 

Lunch was back to the normal great handling. 

So we’re not really fussed. She did get to eat without an actual issue. We’ve seen that with our recent travels in other places too. Where newer staff are not yet up to speed on some of those things. But it was unusual in our normal experience with Princess. Just post-pandemic growing pains. 

Edited by tiggerrr
  • Like 1

A few pics from sailaway. Just a small, personal whine (sorry)…I MUCH preferred the old sailaway parties where it was just the cruise staff leading the cheesy dances and all the guests dancing on the open deck. These newer “staged” ones are ok, but nowhere near as fun ms not as much atmosphere (just my opinion - can you tell I don’t deal well with change?)

34C7B689-5CBB-4D85-B692-AD50B0D50EDB.jpeg

4514AEF7-D078-4673-A506-E4934E6C591A.jpeg

B575F35C-2C5A-434C-8C89-124F391FF899.jpeg

8548AE5F-A7BE-4087-BD53-9E1EEFAE06E8.jpeg

D79F53AA-4485-4E0D-9BFD-E4DF2882B9DB.jpeg

BB178DB9-5593-4EB4-8290-31775BDA803B.jpeg

• Like 2

Also, when I try to view what’s on using the new, improved medallion class app (and if I hear the term medallion class sailing one more time I swear I will throw myself off the ship) this is all I get. Every. Time.

D67A032F-13F5-4C85-AA1E-3F838359E34D.png

6 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

A few pics from sailaway. Just a small, personal whine (sorry)…I MUCH preferred the old sailaway parties where it was just the cruise staff leading the cheesy dances and all the guests dancing on the open deck. These newer “staged” ones are ok, but nowhere near as fun ms not as much atmosphere (just my opinion - can you tell I don’t deal well with change?)

34C7B689-5CBB-4D85-B692-AD50B0D50EDB.jpeg

4514AEF7-D078-4673-A506-E4934E6C591A.jpeg

B575F35C-2C5A-434C-8C89-124F391FF899.jpeg

8548AE5F-A7BE-4087-BD53-9E1EEFAE06E8.jpeg

D79F53AA-4485-4E0D-9BFD-E4DF2882B9DB.jpeg

BB178DB9-5593-4EB4-8290-31775BDA803B.jpeg

Okay, so it's not just me!  Totally agree.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, that said:

Matt O'Brien is one of a kind

He is indeed. This is our first cruise without him in many years (we actually chose sailings to cruise with him) and I think it will be our last princess cruise. Not that there is anything wrong with the other CDs but it just doesn’t seem right. He was the primary reason we continued with princess - now other lines appeal to us.

5 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Balconies directly below (we are C728) are significantly bigger than ours. Not sure what category this is?

E79A31B1-E1BA-466A-A8B5-3F72E96900BD.jpeg

98EAE257-E80D-4513-8232-BCBD14078E59.jpeg

Same, just on the Dolphin deck aft.  Similar to the Crown class Caribe deck aft.  Larger balconies with no extra cost.  They are shown on the deck plans as larger too. 

1 minute ago, ceilidh1 said:

Wow! Good to know

We had picked those cabins below you for the first two cruises on Discovery. They were taken away from us a few weeks before cruising and told it was needed for isolation cabins instead. We got moved to the smaller ones on Caribe. During our cruise we noticed that these were in fact not used for isolation and they had passengers in all of them. We weren't happy and neither were our friends. Princess did nothing when our friends complained while on board and after when they sent a letter to Customer relations.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Also, when I try to view what’s on using the new, improved medallion class app (and if I hear the term medallion class sailing one more time I swear I will throw myself off the ship) this is all I get. Every. Time.

perhaps try the login.com fix

4 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

He is indeed. This is our first cruise without him in many years (we actually chose sailings to cruise with him) and I think it will be our last princess cruise. Not that there is anything wrong with the other CDs but it just doesn’t seem right. He was the primary reason we continued with princess - now other lines appeal to us.

You have an amazing cruise staff.  Jun not July is so much fun and then some.  Corrine (who was just promoted to CD for the Grand) is amazing. Kimberly and Shell are super sweet and kind. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

that is just amazing to me ... and that the Captain on the ship also somehow makes a difference.  Now we like it if we find out certain people ( Junella, Julius, Ajay, Carmen ) may be on the ship we choose, but it certainly is not a factor in choosing that cruise.  amazing ... maybe we are just not 'cruise savy' enough.

20 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

When I went to the Ocean staff they signed me out & had me sign in again…JourneyView & DMW worked. 😃

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, voljeep said:

that is just amazing to me ... and that the Captain on the ship also somehow makes a difference.  Now we like it if we find out certain people ( Junella, Julius, Ajay, Carmen ) may be on the ship we choose, but it certainly is not a factor in choosing that cruise.  amazing ... maybe we are just not 'cruise savy' enough.

I would have agreed with you but then I sailed with Matt O! Prior to that, no one made n impression enough to make me choose a sailing because of them. I suspect no one will again!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

You have an amazing cruise staff.  Jun not July is so much fun and then some.  Corrine (who was just promoted to CD for the Grand) is amazing. Kimberly and Shell are super sweet and kind. 

Jun is fabulous. I sailed with him when he was being trained on Royal by Matt and Andrew!