Does RCCL block WiFi calling?

On 4/29/2022 at 10:21 PM, SG65CB said:

People have been reporting wi-fi calling does not work on Wonder of the Seas, so it would be good to find someone with specific knowledge/experience on Quantum of the Seas. 

Just did the TA on the Wonder of the Seas and it worked fairly well.  After two earlier cruises on the Wonder when it didn't work the IT Director and I became pretty good friends as we had many discussions about Wi-Fi calling.  He worked really hard to get it working with the main office and was  successful as noted in other posts.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TheMiz said:

Not limited to AT&T , while on the Wonder my Verizon Samsung S22 Ultra would not allow me to receive Text or Calls.  The IT dept said they knew of this problem with Verizon phones I asked about AT&T they said they have not hear of any problem for those users.

The guys on Deck 5 may have not known, notwithstanding I told them about AT&T several times, but Silvian Pavel, the IT Manager, for the Wonder, knew about it as we had several one-on-one discussions/emails about AT&T and Verizon.  I'm just glad it is working now.  The IT Manager did a great job of working with the main office to rectify this issue.  Unfortunately,  it just took several weeks.

9 minutes ago, hollon said:

So I put my phone on airplane mode, turn WiFi back on and can i then text back home? 

Yes - practice at home before your cruise.

Edited by Biker19

• 4 weeks later...

Happy to report that Calling Over Wi-Fi worked out.  No surprise Carrier charges.  The ship's Internet connection was very spotty, but when it worked calls and texts worked too.  Just make absolutely sure that your phone is in "Airplane" mode whenever you're on the ship, and your "Call Over Wi-Fi" is turned on. It is very easy to turn off "Airplane" mode when on shore then forget to turn it back on when re-boarding.   

• 7 months later...
On 6/2/2022 at 2:49 PM, nferr said:

WiFi calling worked fine on Anthem. Always keep your phone in airplane mode on a cruise.

The Anthem was the last cruise I was able to use wifi calling ,  I am on her again in May for a TA to England hoping it works as 2 cruises after the Anthem cruise didn't work. 

Sign note Celebrity cruise in March said LIVE VOICE calling is not part of their package.   I know notice the wording has changed on both Royal and Celebrity lines in the small print.

We were on the Symphony last month and we had the Voom Surf and Stream option which used Starlink so our connection was pretty good. We made calls to home (phone was on airplane mode so it was wifi calling) and we were even able to facetime. All in all, we used our phone normal as if we had normal service. Pretty happy with speeds.

7 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I set up Starlink in cabin on my last cruise.  I think it worked well:

Example-of-Marconi-Wireless-telegraph2-e1576241964817.jpg

Funny thing, I kept hearing Momba.

Mine is like the one on the left.  

My other key is not shown but is a a similar principle to the speedkey like the one on the right (Iambic paddle) 

On 5/7/2022 at 3:55 AM, LaCal said:

Do you need the stream Wi-Fi or is regular Zoom ok to get Wi-Fi calling? 

22 minutes ago, Piperandleroy said:

No you don't need the stream just the regular. 

I think with the advent of Starlink Surf is going away.  Of my next six cruises on four different ships none are offering Surf only.  The only offering is Surf and Stream.  YMMV

20 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Mine is like the one on the left.  

My other key is not shown but is a a similar principle to the speedkey like the one on the right (Iambic paddle) 

I have the key in the middle and one that is a paddle like the  one on the right. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Padded where the contacts are at?

We called the key on those a paddle. They have been stored in my closet since I moved here and the Vibroplex is damaged. I have another paddle that looks very like the one on the right in your photo but it’s buried somewhere in the closet. These two were easy to drag  out. 

B044494B-9C1E-4FF4-B513-3BFB0DCD79A3.jpeg

Edited by Charles4515

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

We called the key on those a paddle. They have been stored in my closet since I moved here and the Vibroplex is damaged. I have another paddle that looks very like the one on the right in your photo but it’s buried somewhere in the closet. These two were easy to drag  out. 

B044494B-9C1E-4FF4-B513-3BFB0DCD79A3.jpeg

Got it!  I read it "padded", not Paddle.  Duh.  LOL.  But, it was in humor anyway.  

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Of my next six cruises on four different ships none are offering Surf only.  

Surf went away from the planner fleet wide about two months ago but it is available on some ships on board.

Edited by Biker19