Mardi Gras + Specialty Dining

indie

Hello, I am sailing the Mardi Gras December 3rd 2022, and I have some OBC that won't be available until the sailing. I want to try the Steakhouse and Rudi's Seagrill (and Emeril's)

Will there be dinner reservation times available on embarkation day or do I need to reserve and pay in advance?

Also can unused OBC be used for gratuities if I pay for everything up front like dining and excursions?

Thanks!

Edited by indie

I would book it in advance just to be on the safe side, but you should be able to use your OBC when you book the reservation.  When we were onboard in December, I looked at the Hub app to see if we could get into the steakhouse.  There were 4 of us and 1 goes to bed early almost every night.  The only time I could find any availability was 9:00 pm. so we skipped it.  When we went on MG in March, I booked our specialty dining about 3 months in advance.  Emeril's doesn't require a reservation, you just walk up.

I sailed on Mardi Gras at over capacity in guest occupancy at the end of March. In regards to specialty dining, I booked two nights at steakhouse, one night at Rudi's and Chef's Table all well in advance. Bonsai was already sold out when I went to make reservations. 

All nights of Chef's Table was sold out well before sail date, only LATE or sold out steakhouse availability and Rudi's only had late availability at sailing.

I walked up and ate at Emerils one night, Seafood Shack another. 

Just FYI, I found the steakhouse disappointing on this ship and I gave it two chances. Both times dining were below par compared to other Carnival steakhouse experiences. The food, the service...average at best.  Rudi's on the other hand... Top notch from the time you're greeted at the door to the time you exit. Chef's Table, though not my favorite menu compared to years past, is superb on this ship as it's presented by the most amazing sous chefs and servers.

Long story short... book your specialty restaurants early and book lots of them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

believe you can now use your OBC to prebook. Unless your OBC won't be there until you board.

I phoned Carnival a couple of weeks ago and was told that you cannot use your OBC to even prepay gratuities.  I thought that I had read here that you could.  They were firm.

3 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

I phoned Carnival a couple of weeks ago and was told that you cannot use your OBC to even prepay gratuities.  I thought that I had read here that you could.  They were firm.

When I bought Cheers early last week for our upcoming cruises (the end of this month and December).  I had the option to use our OBC but didn't.

Just off the Mardi Gras and our meal at the Steakhouse was EXCELLENT.  I was last on the Mardi Gras last September for it's fifth sailing and I can say that this trip, despite being at capacity with over 5,800 passengers we had great food and service at the Steakhouse and Rudi's. One thing that is no longer done at the Steakhouse is choosing the type of salt used in seasoning the steak. I always thought it was a bit gimmicky and I'm sure it was done as a time and efficiency savings. Nothing lost from eliminating that component.

I have booked Rudi's for Dec 3rd (my 45th birthday) and the steakhouse for December 4th. Also booked La Playa en La Casa excursion for Amber Cove. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 3:31 PM, cruisemom2 said:

I would book it in advance just to be on the safe side, but you should be able to use your OBC when you book the reservation.  When we were onboard in December, I looked at the Hub app to see if we could get into the steakhouse.  There were 4 of us and 1 goes to bed early almost every night.  The only time I could find any availability was 9:00 pm. so we skipped it.  When we went on MG in March, I booked our specialty dining about 3 months in advance.  Emeril's doesn't require a reservation, you just walk up.

One thing to note. This happened to us, not on MG with the Steakhouse but with Cucina del Capitano on Radiance. I had looked beforehand and there was lots of openings, so I didn't worry about booking it beforehand. I looked again onboard for the first night and it said it was sold out! I decided to go there when they opened for the evening and see if they had any cancellations so we could get in, and they were wide open! Something in the app went wonky. I showed them what it said in the app, and they took a photo to show the IT dept. We had a very nice supper, but I felt bad that were were only a few tables occupied.

Never hurts to go and ask on the day to see if something came open.

On 5/2/2022 at 9:45 PM, indie said:

I have booked Rudi's for Dec 3rd (my 45th birthday) and the steakhouse for December 4th. Also booked La Playa en La Casa excursion for Amber Cove. 

We will also be on this cruise. The 3rd is my husband's 33rd birthday. We have reservations for Rudi's on the 5th. We decided to try the sushi making class on the 4th. This will be our first time on this ship and we're both super excited about it. Hopefully it'll be a good birthday for you! :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, im4clowns said:

Is there a way to book for yourself and family traveling in another cabin?

5 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

Sadly no.  Best to book the same day/time as them and then link the reservations onboard.

Yes. In our case, I linked our son & DIL's booking to ours so I could book all four of us for the steak house and Teppanyaki.  I was able to make the reservation but had to pay for all of us (which was our plan anyway).  

2 hours ago, cruisemom2 said:

Yes. In our case, I linked our son & DIL's booking to ours so I could book all four of us for the steak house and Teppanyaki.  I was able to make the reservation but had to pay for all of us (which was our plan anyway).  

I was told no, plus when we've had people linked to us, we till were not able to do it.  Must have been a recent change.

12 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

Sadly no.  Best to book the same day/time as them and then link the reservations onboard.

I was able to do it online.  All of our reservations are linked and it was easy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

I was told no, plus when we've had people linked to us, we till were not able to do it.  Must have been a recent change.

You can you just have to manage all the bookings on the app and you are able to select the entire cabin or certain people in the cabin.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 8:44 PM, Ellaleah said:

You can't use it to prepay gratuities, but you can use to pay gratuities once you're on board.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cruisemom2 said:

Thank you

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

You can't use it to prepay gratuities, but you can use to pay gratuities once you're on board.

Either that, or do not do anything with the OBC  you have already accumulated, and let that automatically be  deducted from your S&S card until the end of your cruise. That's  what we did. We never even  noticed it. 

• Like 1

100% recommend both. Reserve Rudi's in advance, before you even board. It will book FAST. Emeril's was never crowded when I went, and it's a walk-up place. It's absolutely fantastic, though. Rudi's is beyond delicious. 

Actually, I didn't eat a bad meal on the Mardi Gras. It was the fewest times I'd ever eaten in the MDR while on a cruise, and I usually like the MDR a lot. Not that it was bad, there were just too many other wonderful options.