Carnival Cutbacks - Experience - Freedom

DTL321

8 hours ago, rayj130 said:

No taco bowls on the 8 April Mardi Gras

Does this mean there aren't any options for a burrito bowl whatsoever, or just that the hard taco shell bowls are gone? I'm fine with the latter but would be bummed if I couldn't still get a bowl at Blue Iguana 

On 5/5/2022 at 10:48 AM, Cruisegirl1919 said:

Does this mean there aren't any options for a burrito bowl whatsoever, or just that the hard taco shell bowls are gone? I'm fine with the latter but would be bummed if I couldn't still get a bowl at Blue Iguana 

You could still get a bowl. That just placed it in a regular plastic salad bowl rather than the hard taco shell. All the other ingredients and options were the same as always.

• Like 1

I knew the filet was gone on our cruise from a couple of months ago.  Against my better judgement I gave it another shot.  My reward was a thin string of gristle wedged between by back molars.  Of course we somehow didn't pack any floss.  It was a few hours of misery....lol.

That steak is just horrible.  I would even take the flat iron steak from the first MDR dinner cut back over this.  I certainly miss the days when Carnival served decent steaks in the dining room.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ray98 said:

I knew the filet was gone on our cruise from a couple of months ago.  Against my better judgement I gave it another shot.  My reward was a thin string of gristle wedged between by back molars.  Of course we somehow didn't pack any floss.  It was a few hours of misery....lol.

That steak is just horrible.  I would even take the flat iron steak from the first MDR dinner cut back over this.  I certainly miss the days when Carnival served decent steaks in the dining room.

At these low, low cruise rates you expect to actually eat? 😁 Why you inconsiderate ... Think of the poor cruise line struggling for survival, the poor overworked crew! Have some compassion! :classic_rolleyes:

Just letting you know what is coming...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, icft said:

At these low, low cruise rates you expect to actually eat? 😁 Why you inconsiderate ... Think of the poor cruise line struggling for survival, the poor overworked crew! Have some compassion! :classic_rolleyes:

Just letting you know what is coming...

Yeah....I know.  Carnival could quit serving breakfast and some on here would blame the person who mentioned they were hungry.

"You could've packed some Pop Tarts....these workers deserve a break....stop acting entitled......have you not noticed COVID"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Of all the things mentioned, the Seaday filet is most disappointing to me.  It was probably my #1 'go to'.  I'd certainly get it at least once a cruise.

What I may do is splurge  for a $20 steak at dinner one night instead.  Also, if your ship ever does a one time Seaday brunch up in the steakhouse for a fee...... DO IT.  Absolutely outstanding at a very fair up-charge price.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 10:14 AM, EngIceDave said:

There ya go...it's a business.

Between supply issues, from booze to certain sodas to cuts of beef due to costs, things are different now.

There is a worldwide supply chain issue, it's not just the US, it's worldwide. 

If only there could be a Pepsi shortage and force them to switch back to Coke products. 😎

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jim and Monika said:

If only there could be a Pepsi shortage and force them to switch back to Coke products. 😎

I prefer Pepsi, so I'm good.

BTW, Mountain Dew has an amazing amount of caffeine.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ray98 said:

I've gotten the strip loin on each cruise I've been on since the restart. Two were inedible. One was actually quite good, I ate most of it.

I have not dined in the MDR for dinner in a few years, but might on an upcoming sailing just to get the Prime Rib.

By any chance do they still offer escargot on some evenings?  (shot in the dark!)

Tom

It baffles me why people scoff at comments made here that are critical of a cruise or a cruise line. Seems like specifically Carnival cruisers are prone to jump in as if they were personally offended. This site is called cruise CRITIC. Its for sharing one’s experiences both good, but even more helpfully, the bad ones.

So weird.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Altamira said:

It baffles me why people scoff at comments made here that are critical of a cruise or a cruise line. Seems like specifically Carnival cruisers are prone to jump in as if they were personally offended. This site is called cruise CRITIC. Its for sharing one’s experiences both good, but even more helpfully, the bad ones.

So weird.

I don't spend much time on the RCL boards, but I know that there was a core group of "Loyal Royals" there years back. I'm guessing that has not changed much...

Tom

23 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I have not dined in the MDR for dinner in a few years, but might on an upcoming sailing just to get the Prime Rib.

By any chance do they still offer escargot on some evenings?  (shot in the dark!)

Tom

I did see it on the menu on my Vista cruise 3-26. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I don't spend much time on the RCL boards, but I know that there was a core group of "Loyal Royals" there years back. I'm guessing that has not changed much...

Tom

Every line has their defenders. 

11 hours ago, ray98 said:

Yeah....I know.  Carnival could quit serving breakfast and some on here would blame the person who mentioned they were hungry.

"You could've packed some Pop Tarts....these workers deserve a break....stop acting entitled......have you not noticed COVID"

This! Well said! Concur 100%. Seems to be a "how low can you go" theme going on. I'm as pro-cruising as can be but there are limits that I would find unacceptable to be sure. It's gotten a bit ridiculous with the excuses to be perfectly honest.  

4 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

Yes on the escargot, and the prime rib fantastic in the MDR. Tender and cooked to perfection. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Yes on the escargot, and the prime rib fantastic in the MDR. Tender and cooked to perfection. 

The last two times I've enjoyed Prime Rib on Carnival was in the Steakhouse. One time they were kind enough to bring it up from the MDR (nice cut), and another time they actually cooked it in the Steakhouse (from their dry aged prime beef). Can you tell which is which in these photos? (Sure, I knew you could... 🙂  )

IMG_20130329_184826-X2.jpg

i-C7FrKT5-X2.jpg

Tom

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

The last two times I've enjoyed Prime Rib on Carnival was in the Steakhouse. One time they were kind enough to bring it up from the MDR (nice cut), and another time they actually cooked it in the Steakhouse (from their dry aged prime beef). Can you tell which is which in these photos? (Sure, I knew you could... 🙂  )

IMG_20130329_184826-X2.jpg

i-C7FrKT5-X2.jpg

Tom

Bottom for the win! Though, I'd simply eat that one first and then the other one lol. Like wine, always the better first.

• Like 1

Wow. Those are at least 3 times as thick as what I had on my Carnival Vista Cruise in December. What they served on Vista was thin, mostly brown, cold, and covered in sauce to keep you from noticing. I would have no complaints if they served either of those in the MDR 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

On Vista 2 weeks ago we had escargot one night. I think it was one of the elegant nights. Prime rib and grilled beef tenderloin were both very good. Husband had two of the sea day brunch strip loins and said one was spectacular and the other was still “good.”

• Like 1