HAL Not providing onboard covid testing in Vancouver

23 hours ago, 54Carol said:

Thanks.  Anything else besides the above, vaccine card, passport, drivers license?  First born?

Jeesh!  But you can drive over without all this hassle?  This is ridiculous!

It makes no sense.  We sail mid August.  Maybe our government will drop this by then.  Celebrity is saying they will provide tests free of charge for those that booked by 11/16/21.  

Wonder if they will drop the ball too??

I am confused.

I am sailing in June from Boston to Montreal, doing a B2B to return to Boston. Therefore no flight is involved.

I still don't know if I have to be tested in Montreal to board the ship for the second leg.

The first 5 days of the second leg are in Canada. The last port before Boston is Bar Harbor. Would I have to do a self test the day before we get to Bar Harbor?

Kevin

• Like 3

On 5/5/2022 at 11:20 AM, DaveOKC said:

Earlier this week we heard about the long security lines at Vancouver airport and now the same day testing on your own to get back to US (from Vancouver)!  JUMP JUMP JUMP!  I wonder if the Canadian officials are doing this stuff on purpose??

It’s a US policy to have testing before returning to the USA,  nothing to do with Canada. What stuff do you think the Canadian officials are doing? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

For those who haven't booked airfare or can change it, you can take Quick Coach from Canada Place to either Bellingham, which has daily Southwest flights to Vegas and Oakland and daily Alaska flights to Seatac, or go to Seatac on Quick Coach. No testing required for land crossing into the US. Amtrak is also supposed to finally restart service to Vancouver this summer, and it makes a nice ride along the coast. The other option is to just get a proctored emed test and do it on board or find wifi in Vancouver or hope to do it at YVR. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, syesmar said:

I really feel for everyone who took HAL at their word about providing the tests and booked in good faith that there would be one less hassle! HAL needs to honor their word to those who booked prior to the change in policy.

This ^^^^   

We knew, and accepted,  the U.S. re-entry requirements when we booked a 6/29 cruise r/t Vancouver.  At the time we booked, made final payment,  and booked flights,  HAL was doing post cruise testing.  It's very tempting to cancel, however I have a group of 16 on this sailing, and I have to be onboard.  '

The least they could do is as you suggest: honor their word to those who booked prior to the change in policy.  This is a train wreck of the public relations kind. 

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, cruisetheworld67 said:

Seabourn is a luxury cruise line.  HAL is not.

Seabourn is pulling the same Garbage as HAL.  Obviously they do not want to be responsible is you test positive.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Seabourn is pulling the same Garbage as HAL.  Obviously they do not want to be responsible is you test positive.  

I believe Princess is also doing this. It's probably CCL corporate, not the individual cruise lines would be my take.

11 hours ago, KBC73 said:

I am confused.

I am sailing in June from Boston to Montreal, doing a B2B to return to Boston. Therefore no flight is involved.

I still don't know if I have to be tested in Montreal to board the ship for the second leg.

The first 5 days of the second leg are in Canada. The last port before Boston is Bar Harbor. Would I have to do a self test the day before we get to Bar Harbor?

Kevin

We are doing the B2B in June as well.  I think we don’t need a test to enter the states by ship.  But to we need to test in Montreal to return home?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tjcox9 said:

I believe Princess is also doing this. It's probably CCL corporate, not the individual cruise lines would be my take.

The HAL Group includes Princess, HAL and Seabourn and is run by the past CEO of Princess

Unfortunately for those who have flights booked already this puts people in a pretty precarious position. You can take the chance that internet on the ship will be good enough to do an online test or wait until you disembark and scramble. I understand why HAL wouldn't want to take on the burden of this testing but it's too late to change policy at this point for people who are cruising imminently. Ending the policy for future cruises makes sense but backing out of a commitment will definitely make me hesitate to take future cruises on HAL. 

• Like 6

I just got off the Zuiderdam on May 4th. I was elated to learn that the ship provided Covic testing for our flight home from Vancouver. We were all provided with an appointment time and there was no waiting in line for the test. Later that day, the results were delivered to our cabin. There  was no charge for the test. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BobbiSox said:

I just got off the Zuiderdam on May 4th. I was elated to learn that the ship provided Covic testing for our flight home from Vancouver. We were all provided with an appointment time and there was no waiting in line for the test. Later that day, the results were delivered to our cabin. There  was no charge for the test. 

I think you were “lucky”.  I think hal and it sounds like most cruise lines pulled the pin on that right after,

22 hours ago, quack2 said:

Why blame the government for trying to protect the public health?  Sorry for your inconvenience.

That’s a lovely thought.  In December the Canadian government made it all kinds of difficult for Canadians to travel at that time.  I wasn’t going anywhere so it didn’t affect me.  They did that to keep omicron out of Canada.  That worked really well……..not 🙄.  

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, KBC73 said:

I am confused.

Kevin

There is no US requirement for you to be tested to enter other than when flying in. However, Canadian regulations require that you show a negative test result in order to embark on any cruise sailing from a Canadian port. The question, not yet answered, is whether the GOC views a b2b as a single cruise or two contiguous but separate cruises. In the former case, no testing would be required before reboarding in Montreal, but in the latter case, you would need to meet the same requirement as other passengers who are embarking on the cruise to Boston.

It's too early to provide an answer as until a few days ago, with HAL providing the test, there was no issue. AFAIK, the GOC has not provided any exemption for b2b passengers, but until now there has been no need.

On 5/5/2022 at 12:38 PM, NCTribeFan said:

They have to be able to watch you - both hands - handling the testing materials as well as conducting the test.  Sure, I can prop the phone against something that will show my face, but you can't prop a phone tilted toward a table.  It tends to fall flat on it's face/camera. 

I'll take at least one eMed test with me and hope it works out.  If it doesn't, I'll have a backup plan to test at the airport.

Must say I'm now quite glad that I picked a late afternoon flight.  That should give me a lot more time - and less stress - to get it all handled.  Hopefully the security lines will be shorter in mid-afternoon on a Wednesday.

I used a glass cup to prop up my iPhone mini - no issues at all.

• Like 1

For those disembarking in Vancouver under HAL's  new "Can't Have It All" policy for post cruise testing,  and are weighing being tested at the convention center or the airport, I found that Vancouver's cruise ship schedule is helpful when considering crowds.
Just find your disembarkation date,  and see what other ship(s) will be there too, with their passengers  trying to get tested.

https://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/2022-Cruise-Schedule-as-of-April-29.pdf

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Boatdrill said:

For those disembarking in Vancouver under HAL's  new "Can't Have It All" policy for post cruise testing,  and are weighing being tested at the convention center or the airport, I found that Vancouver's cruise ship schedule is helpful when considering crowds.
Just find your disembarkation date,  and see what other ship(s) will be there too, with their passengers  trying to get tested.

https://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/2022-Cruise-Schedule-as-of-April-29.pdf

And that’s the problem.  People fighting for limited resources.  I guess they’ll be filling up ships with us Canadians because this would be more than I’d want to deal with as an American.  That said if I had all the time in the world it might be a different story.

On 5/6/2022 at 8:59 PM, Happiest when cruising said:

It’s a US policy to have testing before returning to the USA,  nothing to do with Canada. What stuff do you think the Canadian officials are doing? 

How about not letting the train enter into Canada from Skagway without major headaches for the excursion people.  Sure messed up alot of people's excursions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

How about not letting the train enter into Canada from Skagway without major headaches for the excursion people.  Sure messed up alot of people's excursions.

I’m sorry, I have no idea about that. I did hear that the train was able to do some of the way. Not a perfect solution , but I hope those that went had a good day. 

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Please do describe the "Major Headaches" that Canadian officials caused for the excursion people. Where you witness to said headaches or were the excursion people using the nasty Canadian Officials as an excuse for not being prepared? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Please do describe the "Major Headaches" that Canadian officials caused for the excursion people. Where you witness to said headaches or were the excursion people using the nasty Canadian Officials as an excuse for not being prepared? 

Since excursions for early September have been cancelled (train combination tours) I have to believe it is not the excursion people's not being prepared.  This is from the White Pass & Yukon Railroad's website, which fairly clearly (IMO) identifies the problem:

Cross Border Tours – Service Suspended for 2022 Operating Season

After months of working towards restoring the Carcross and Fraser Train Service Combination, we unfortunately must announce that we are unable to provide these offerings for the 2022 Season.  We have delayed this difficult decision for several months in the hopes that we could find a workable solution for all involved and provide passenger service on these international routes.  The challenges of logistics, restrictions, and uncertainty around wait times would have made it impossible for us to provide a consistent high quality service without delays and would create significant disruption to the passenger experience.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Thats a press release from the company. The issue is between the Yukon government and the railway, it has nothing to do with Canada’s federal government or any of their restrictions. And the railway pulled the plug on operating despite ongoing discussions between them and Yukon - despite most other Skagway excursion companies (including the bus companies) ability to reach an accommodation with Yukon. 

Edited by lderochi
  • Like 2

From the Yukon government, which should also be taken with a grain of salt. 

“Yukon’s Minister of Economic Development Ranj Pillai says his team is disappointed in White Pass’s decision.

“We essentially went through a series of problem-solving on border issues and ensuring that we would have the ability for White Pass to come back and not have delays. And you know, we solved those issues. So yeah, this week was it was very tough to get that news,” Pillai said.”

and FWIW, from Alaska Public Media: 

But the work done by the Yukon government to relax border restrictions has paved the way for other Skagway-based tour companies to resume their trips up the Klondike Highway to Yukon communities like Carcross. Fears over long delays at the border kept some companies in limbo wondering if they’d be able to operate at all after two years of pandemic-related shutdowns.

Now some tour companies, including Chilkoot Charters and Holland America Princess, plan to resume bus tours into Canada.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Since excursions for early September have been cancelled (train combination tours) I have to believe it is not the excursion people's not being prepared.  This is from the White Pass & Yukon Railroad's website, which fairly clearly (IMO) identifies the problem:

Cross Border Tours – Service Suspended for 2022 Operating Season

After months of working towards restoring the Carcross and Fraser Train Service Combination, we unfortunately must announce that we are unable to provide these offerings for the 2022 Season.  We have delayed this difficult decision for several months in the hopes that we could find a workable solution for all involved and provide passenger service on these international routes.  The challenges of logistics, restrictions, and uncertainty around wait times would have made it impossible for us to provide a consistent high quality service without delays and would create significant disruption to the passenger experience.

You are welcome to your opinion but I don't see anything in that press release that lays it at the feet of " Canadian Officials". Clearly the train operator wanted concessions that the Government of Yukon Territory didn't find agreeable. There is no mention of what the problem was.

Sorry a business decision was made by the operator, that's not on "Canadian Officials"

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 3

My basic opinion is that for this season I will avoid travel to Canada, regardless of who is to blame for the issues (meaningless to me who is creating the problems, they do exist and I try to avoid them).

• Like 2