Covid testing to fly home... Ugh

Lalof

I have seen some posts that HAL has indicated they will not be providing tests for passengers disembarking in Vancouver. We disembark on 7/10 and Delta has rescheduled our flight home to the USA to an earlier departure of 1:00pm. Any ideas on where we can get testing in the limited time? We did pay for the HAL transfer from the port to the airport. Can we pay to have a test done on the ship the day before disembarking? Freaking out a little bit. 😳😬

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've wondered how they'll handle those who purchased transfers. I would definitely ask HAL's shore excursion department, or a PCC, about this. They will likely recommend a tele-health option (provided the internet is strong).

I really feel for all of you in this situation. I know how I would feel if I had been promised they would handle this, only for them to go back without any real assistance. I hope it all works out for you!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lalof said:

I have seen some posts that HAL has indicated they will not be providing tests for passengers disembarking in Vancouver. We disembark on 7/10 and Delta has rescheduled our flight home to the USA to an earlier departure of 1:00pm. Any ideas on where we can get testing in the limited time? We did pay for the HAL transfer from the port to the airport. Can we pay to have a test done on the ship the day before disembarking? Freaking out a little bit. 😳😬

We leave in six days only to find out that HAL will no longer do Covid testing port cruise in Canada. We now have just a couple days to make other arrangements.

Apparently there is testing near the checkin area for the US airlines at the Vancouver airport; I think the test is pretty quick and you can/should make reservations. I don't have a link but it should be online if searched. 

Edited by PSR
  • Like 1

Just now, lais said:

I’m disappointed because I purchased the tour around Vancouver with drop off at the airport.  Now I’ll have to cancel that so I’ll have time to get tested.  Bummed. 

When I travelled to L.A. I used one of the testing places at Vancouver Airport.  CVM Medical is located in the U.S. Departures Check-in Area at the end of the check-in counters (counter 298).  You can pre-book appointment for Antigen test for $79 CAD (about $61 USD).  Check-in for appointment, swab test took about `15 minutes and we had results in our e-mail in 30 minutes.  We found it a fairly simple and quick process all in all.   Link to website to book appointment below:

Looks like they have a testing facility at Canada Place as well beside Cruise Port:

Travel Clinic | PCR Test | Rapid Test // CVM Medical (covid-medical.ca)

Edited by ehyup71
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ehyup71 said:

When I travelled to L.A. I used one of the testing places at Vancouver Airport.  CVM Medical is located in the U.S. Departures Check-in Area at the end of the check-in counters (counter 298).  You can pre-book appointment for Antigen test for $79 CAD (about $61 USD).  Check-in for appointment, swab test took about `15 minutes and we had results in our e-mail in 30 minutes.  We found it a fairly simple and quick process all in all.   Link to website to book appointment below:

Looks like they have a testing facility at Canada Place as well beside Cruise Port:

Travel Clinic | PCR Test | Rapid Test // CVM Medical (covid-medical.ca)

I had heard about the airport testing but some review said it went quickly and others said it took hours, even with an appointment.

16 hours ago, Lalof said:

14 hours ago, Suncoastsailors said:

We leave in six days only to find out that HAL will no longer do Covid testing port cruise in Canada. We now have just a couple days to make other arrangements.

I have been seeing this a lot with some cruise lines lately, they will just leave us on our own for testing and it can be very confusing and frustrating. 

I spent a lot of time researching and there is a clinic that is actually right next to the cruise ship terminal in Vancouver which is very convenient when coming form a cruise! Here is the link in case you want to check it out: https://covid-medical.ca/covid-19-test-book-online/ It's located in the Vancouver Convention Centre, I booked my test online but I heard that they also accept walk-ins. The same company also has a location inside the YVR airport. My husband and I got tested with them at the YVR clinic last month and we got our results within 30 minutes. Prices are also pretty decent! Hope it helps!! 🙂 

• Thanks 1

On 5/6/2022 at 10:06 PM, lais said:

I’m disappointed because I purchased the tour around Vancouver with drop off at the airport.  Now I’ll have to cancel that so I’ll have time to get tested.  Bummed. 

I feel your pain as HAL has let you down in this matter.  

This is why I decided 6 months ago to change a trip in and out of Vancouver (on RCI) to avoid this crpa of testing to get back to my own country.

Heck we can now fly all around the country without masks or vaccines and yet folks off of cruise ships that are vaxxed, have to test.   Just when will it all end.   

I loved Vancouver and have toured around.  Perhaps you could change your flights home.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 4:36 PM, Lalof said:

We are boarding the Noordam on July 10th in Vancouver. We plan on scheduling our test at the Pan Pacific testing site at the cruise terminal. You can schedule in advance.

RT-PCR Covid Test Downtown Vancouver | FastTest (fast-test.ca)

Pan Pacific Vancouver

999 Canada Pl #300 Vancouver, BC, V6C 3B5

Hours of Operation
Monday – Sunday: 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM

On 5/6/2022 at 7:06 PM, lais said:

Buy and do the proctored test the day before you disembark as suggested in this thread. I did it last week and it was the easiest solution IMO. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 2:36 PM, Lalof said:

Look on Delta’s website if there is a later flight to your destination. If so, call them and have them put you on it instead of the 1:00pm flight. Airlines will do this for you in the event of schedule changes. Call and explain 1:00pm won’t work for you. 

34 minutes ago, BEAV said:

Look on Delta’s website if there is a later flight to your destination. If so, call them and have them put you on it instead of the 1:00pm flight. Airlines will do this for you in the event of schedule changes. Call and explain 1:00pm won’t work for you. 

I think 1 p.m. is doable. The ships dock early in the a.m. Schedule a test at the pier at 9 or do it in your room. Catch an uber to the airport be there no later than 10:30.

I spoke to a cousin of mine at 4 PM PDT, 05/11/22, who is on the Noordam from Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver. They were just leaving San Diego when the Captain came on the speakers and said masks were now required for the final five days (they dock on 05/15/22). Some passengers and crew had tested positive for Covid 19.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

I spoke to a cousin of mine at 4 PM PDT, 05/11/22, who is on the Noordam from Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver. They were just leaving San Diego when the Captain came on the speakers and said masks were now required for the final five days (they dock on 05/15/22). Some passengers and crew had tested positive for Covid 19.

Hey there @jeh10641.  Thanks for the info but instead of posting it on all the threads which are not pertinent to this subject, I suggest next time you start a new thread so you only need to post once with your new information.

Thanks!

~Nancy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gobar said:

Can anyone suggest which is the best home proctored test in terms of least wait time and able to connect with a proctor. Choices are Emed, Radeas, Binax or Qured

Thanks

We did the ones we ordered from eMed for our last cruise.  The wait time was approximately 30 minutes to get connected with a proctor.  They're available 24/7 and the wait will vary based on how many people are waiting.  It was an easy process.

• Like 1

Can someone tell me how these proctored tests work if there are multiple people who need to be tested.  For example, with us there will be 4 people who will need to be tested for our return flights. 

Basically is the test done in parallel among the people to be tested.  They all do their swabs and then put their sample in the solution waiting the 15 minutes for the result and then you all get them at pretty much the same time.  With this, the whole process would maybe take 30 minutes for all 4 people. 

Or is it serialized, so that one person does the swab, and waits for their result.  And only then does the next person do the swab, etc.

Just want to know if the total time for 4 people will be more like 30 minutes or 2 hours.

On 5/11/2022 at 9:20 PM, oakridger said:

Hey there @jeh10641.  Thanks for the info but instead of posting it on all the threads which are not pertinent to this subject, I suggest next time you start a new thread so you only need to post once with your new information.

Thanks!

~Nancy

I just posted a question about this. I am trying to find out if the mask mandate is going to be rolled out fleet-wide. Or, if some ships are test ships to see if cases are reduced? Or if they are mandating masks as the ports mandate them, or as COVID cases explode through passengers and crew on certain sailings or for some other reason?   Does anyone know if there is any evidence that COVID cases were lower when masks were mandated fleet-wide?

• Like 1