Serenade Multi Glacier May 1 - 8, 2022 RECAP

I have cruised to Alaska twice and at the time felt I did not need to go back again.  Your review has changed my mind.  The first Alaska cruise was on Carnival and I did the Tracey Arm excursion.  Best money I spent on that cruise.  The second one was on Radiance of the Seas and I enjoyed it as well.

Your reviews are always amazing.

Pat

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twangster said:

My day involved taking a bus from Vancouver to Seattle.  

There were some bus lines that had service from the Canada Place but I booked Amtrak from the Pacific Central train station hoping the train would be operational by this cruise.  The train is currently shut down so Amtrak is running a bus.  This is just the second week for the bus service to operate.

Between the CDC and Health Canada both governments have made it impossible to operate a cross border train.  The bus was easier to get going.  Not long ago Canada had a testing requirement that applied to all crew on the train which made it difficult to meet the protocol requirements.  A single bus driver as the sole crew member was easier to get approved by both countries.  

With nearly three hours to kill I walked the 1.4 miles to the train station.  I was there by 9:35am so still two hours to kill.

The bus ride from Vancouver to Seattle was $43 which isn't bad for the distance involved.  A taxi from SeaTac airport in Seattle to downtown is all of that.  

The bus reaches the border where we all get off, collect our luggage, go inside and meet with CBP.    Luggage goes through x-ray for an agriculture inspection.  We all board the bus again and leave for the 100 mile trip to Seattle.  

With a day in between my next cruise it was a relaxing way to get to Seattle that didn't involve Vancouver airport or needing to take a test since the CDC has decided that the virus can only fly in airplanes and land borders don't need testing.

For future cruises from Vancouver I'll definitely look at flights to Seattle that can be much easier to source and are cheaper than flights to Vancouver.

They think the train may begin to operate later this month and it is apparently very scenic.   

So this was a successful trial as a means to get between Seattle and Vancouver.

My bus took me to the train station downtown Seattle so it was easy to get to my downtown Seattle hotel.  It cost $2.25 for the Link light rail train in Seattle for the two stops lugging my luggage or I would have walked the 0.8 miles.

We plan to book the bus with Amtrac as well. I am a pretty big guy. How is the legroom and seat size? Any Pictures?  Dragging luggage walking to the Amtrac station does not appeal to me so I assume there is Cabs or Ubers you can take to the Amtrac station? I had read they might start the trains back by Early June but they won't know until May 23.

Thanks for your thread. We are on the same cruise on May 29 so it helps alot.

Edited by volk904

@twangster  Thanks again for sharing.  Great job.  While checking out the menus you posted for the MDR I noticed that there were near identical to the MDR menus on this coming Friday and Saturday Ovation menus.  Is this common with all ships.  We have only cruise twice since the start back and have been doing a lot of specialty dining. 

Fantastic review and amazing to see all the whales from cabin, they are headed back.

One piece of information I am looking for is, was there any information or Covid testing options given to passengers who fly home day of disembark?  Were there any kiosk or something like that at the port?

• Like 1

@twangsterto say your pictures are stunning is a gross understatement!  Absolutely gorgeous shots. We are on Serenade in a few weeks; our itinerary is depart Vancouver, sailing, Sitka, Juneau, Skagway and Haines (same day), Tracy Arm fjord, sailing, and return to Vancouver. 

I have questions about the ArriveCAN app.  As I understand it, you can't start filling out the information on a computer and then finish on the app on your phone, is that correct?  I guess I just need to do everything on the app to be safe.

You also mentioned needing two different ArriveCAN applications, one to enter Canada by plane, a second for a cruise that involves Canada.  You said you can only have one active at a time so I had to wait until I arrived in Vancouver and cleared CBSA to create my second one for the cruise.  That is helpful to know. We are arriving in Vancouver the day before the cruise, so we'll have time to do this.

You also said once you have successfully submitted an ArriveCAN form you will get a copy by email which you printed out for presentation at the border. I guess we can do this while we are still at home for the flying-into-Canada part, and then just have the confirmation on the app/phone for the cruise part.

Final question, you said in the YVR airport you are processed by Canada for immigration and customs purposes.  It starts with a kiosk where you make your declarations which prints out a form you'll use at the following immigration and customs steps.   After going through immigration you collect your luggage.  Upon exiting the baggage claim area where you hand over your CBSA kiosk printout you will be directed into a queue for COVID testing if selected, or if not selected for testing you'll be directed into another queue that leads to the actual exit.  First off, we haven't flown anywhere since 2016, so I feel like this is my first flight ever.  What are you "declaring"?  Is this like expensive jewelry or cameras or stuff like that so we are declaring that we are bringing it with us into Canada as opposed to purchasing it in Canada?  (If that's correct, our answers will be "nothing".  LOL)  

Thanks again for the great photos. We are lucky to also have an aft balcony on Serenade, although not one of the corner ones.  

• Like 1

After replying to several of the question posted it seems none of my replies are sticking.  So for a second time...

39 minutes ago, volk904 said:

We plan to book the bus with Amtrac as well. I am a pretty big guy. How is the legroom and seat size? Any Pictures?  Dragging luggage walking to the Amtrac station does not appeal to me so I assume there is Cabs or Ubers you can take to the Amtrac station? I had read they might start the trains back by Early June but they won't know until May 23.

Thanks for your thread. We are on the same cruise on May 29 so it helps alot.

The Amtrak service is operated by Cantrails and they use a standard motor coach.   If you have ever been on a motor coach for an excursion or for any other purpose it's no different.

The signage at the train station isn't very good.  All buses depart from the same area.  There is no check in to do, just make sure you have the QR code printed or in the Amtrak app.  The driver of the bus will scan it.

34 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@twangster  Thanks again for sharing.  Great job.  While checking out the menus you posted for the MDR I noticed that there were near identical to the MDR menus on this coming Friday and Saturday Ovation menus.  Is this common with all ships.  We have only cruise twice since the start back and have been doing a lot of specialty dining. 

I believe that entrees and appetizers are stand across the fleet but the actual menus can vary slightly one ship to another.  If you know Royal you'll know there are always subtle inconsistencies across the fleet.  MDR menus are no exception.

25 minutes ago, snowbird1 said:

Fantastic review and amazing to see all the whales from cabin, they are headed back.

One piece of information I am looking for is, was there any information or Covid testing options given to passengers who fly home day of disembark?  Were there any kiosk or something like that at the port?

After walking out of the cruise terminal i did see a street vendor standing and holding a sign for testing.  Since I didn't need a test I have no more experience to share.

12 minutes ago, Kellie in Texas said:

@twangsterto say your pictures are stunning is a gross understatement!  Absolutely gorgeous shots. We are on Serenade in a few weeks; our itinerary is depart Vancouver, sailing, Sitka, Juneau, Skagway and Haines (same day), Tracy Arm fjord, sailing, and return to Vancouver. 

I have questions about the ArriveCAN app.  As I understand it, you can't start filling out the information on a computer and then finish on the app on your phone, is that correct?  I guess I just need to do everything on the app to be safe.

You also mentioned needing two different ArriveCAN applications, one to enter Canada by plane, a second for a cruise that involves Canada.  You said you can only have one active at a time so I had to wait until I arrived in Vancouver and cleared CBSA to create my second one for the cruise.  That is helpful to know. We are arriving in Vancouver the day before the cruise, so we'll have time to do this.

You also said once you have successfully submitted an ArriveCAN form you will get a copy by email which you printed out for presentation at the border. I guess we can do this while we are still at home for the flying-into-Canada part, and then just have the confirmation on the app/phone for the cruise part.

Final question, you said in the YVR airport you are processed by Canada for immigration and customs purposes.  It starts with a kiosk where you make your declarations which prints out a form you'll use at the following immigration and customs steps.   After going through immigration you collect your luggage.  Upon exiting the baggage claim area where you hand over your CBSA kiosk printout you will be directed into a queue for COVID testing if selected, or if not selected for testing you'll be directed into another queue that leads to the actual exit.  First off, we haven't flown anywhere since 2016, so I feel like this is my first flight ever.  What are you "declaring"?  Is this like expensive jewelry or cameras or stuff like that so we are declaring that we are bringing it with us into Canada as opposed to purchasing it in Canada?  (If that's correct, our answers will be "nothing".  LOL)  

Thanks again for the great photos. We are lucky to also have an aft balcony on Serenade, although not one of the corner ones.  

All countries tend to have customs and immigration.  Customs wants to make sure you are not bringing in banned items like fruit, meat, alcohol plus if you have large sums of money and a variety of other things.  If you are a visitor it's different compared to a resident returning home.  Immigration will focus on your eligibility to enter that country.  Depending on citizenship that may mean VISAs are required.  For US citizens we don't need VISAs to visit Canada.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

Thank you so much. We'll be doing this in September. Sorry but did I miss any details about getting the covid test for flights back to the US. If so it was probably because your beautiful photos.

The land border doesn't require testing.  Since I didn't fly, I didn't need a test.

Makes no sense to me but that's our CDC working hard on implementing unnecessary protocols.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, twangster said:

The land border doesn't require testing.  Since I didn't fly, I didn't need a test.

Makes no sense to me but that's our CDC working hard on implementing unnecessary protocols.

Hey Twangster, I enjoyed your photos of Alaska and they seem even nicer than the Ovation trip we both were on in 2019.   I think the cold weather is worth enduring to get so many great photos with snow in the mountains.  I did the Serenade out of Copenhagen to Norway and then a B2B to Baltics and Russia and Sweden and Helsinki.

I agree no need to take excursions as many times whales can be seen from ship especially going into Glacier Bay as I did in 2010 on HAL.  Many whales on the way in and out.

Question: so because you took a bus into Seattle and had just gotten off Serenade, how come you did not have to take an Antigen test for Quantum?  I mean if you change ships in FL, you have to test again.  Then again you have to deal with ArrCan.

Also, I am doing Quantum in August so  look forward to your thoughts and review on the ship and compared to Ovation.  I was on the Wonder week 6 this year and it turns out Capt. Loy was on to take over Wonder of TA.  I did not see him but Capt. Rob was anxious to get home.

Again love your photos on this trip even a bit better than Ovation in 2019.  I think early May is quite different than the end of May is snowfall and temps.

toodles

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Hey Twangster, I enjoyed your photos of Alaska and they seem even nicer than the Ovation trip we both were on in 2019.   I think the cold weather is worth enduring to get so many great photos with snow in the mountains.  I did the Serenade out of Copenhagen to Norway and then a B2B to Baltics and Russia and Sweden and Helsinki.

I agree no need to take excursions as many times whales can be seen from ship especially going into Glacier Bay as I did in 2010 on HAL.  Many whales on the way in and out.

Question: so because you took a bus into Seattle and had just gotten off Serenade, how come you did not have to take an Antigen test for Quantum?  I mean if you change ships in FL, you have to test again.  Then again you have to deal with ArrCan.

Also, I am doing Quantum in August so  look forward to your thoughts and review on the ship and compared to Ovation.  I was on the Wonder week 6 this year and it turns out Capt. Loy was on to take over Wonder of TA.  I did not see him but Capt. Rob was anxious to get home.

Again love your photos on this trip even a bit better than Ovation in 2019.  I think early May is quite different than the end of May is snowfall and temps.

toodles

I need a test to board Quantum but no test to enter the US at a land border.  If I had flown to Seattle from Vancouver I’d need a test to enter the US on a plane.  

23 minutes ago, twangster said:

I need a test to board Quantum but no test to enter the US at a land border.  If I had flown to Seattle from Vancouver I’d need a test to enter the US on a plane.  

ok. curious did you find a test in Seattle or did Serenade give one to you before you got off.

Hope they have the noodle bar on Quantum for you to try.

5 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

ok. curious did you find a test in Seattle or did Serenade give one to you before you got off.

Hope they have the noodle bar on Quantum for you to try.

Serenade tested me for S2S.  B2B weren’t tested.  Noodle bar isn’t on Quantum.  But I digress. 

B0AFE813-63E4-4F1C-9203-AD459A9FDE71.thumb.jpeg.cadab68c036f538071d7649d406d9680.jpeg 

1 minute ago, twangster said:

Serenade tested me for S2S.  B2B weren’t tested.  Noodle bar isn’t on Quantum.  But I digress. 

B0AFE813-63E4-4F1C-9203-AD459A9FDE71.thumb.jpeg.cadab68c036f538071d7649d406d9680.jpeg 

thanks for replying.  Good to know that Serenade took care of you.

For me doing S2S would have been great, just not this year given how things would go if I would test positive for some reason.

Sorry to hear they removed the noodle bar.  Some of the wonderful technology and food for the China market I think USA folks would also enjoy.

oh and BTW, I like your interesting photo of Quantum with the Northstar up and facing completely forward over solarium.  I  never saw that before.

Enjoy your cruise.   I will watch PTZ for when Quantum comes into Juneau which is a nice sail in.

Hope she docks closer to port like Ovation did in 2019. In fact I watched Ovation yesterday and she did park in same spot so looking good for the sister as well.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, twangster said:

Breakfast menu for the MDR:

SR2205-70.jpg

Position report as we near the end of the British Columbia Inside Passage.

SR2205-72.jpg

SR2205-73.jpg

Was there also breakfast in Chops for Pinnacles?  Any other special Pinnacle treatment?  On for two weeks May 22

52 minutes ago, bermuda_fm said:

Was there also breakfast in Chops for Pinnacles?  Any other special Pinnacle treatment?  On for two weeks May 22

Breakfast in Chops, Cheers with an Officer, Access to Concierge Club.  Standard C&A on board offers.  

Chops breakfast hours followed MDR breakfast hours posted in Cruise Compass.   

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, twangster said:

Honestly the newer and larger ships are great in Alaska.    

I like both size ships, and I agree.  🙂  Thanks for sharing, Twangster.  We board Ovation next Friday, and can't wait.  We sailed Radiance the last time, and will now consider sailing R/T from Vancouver the next.  

Nice Pictures, Thanks for posting! Done many Cruises on Serenade, looking Forward to getting back on her this Fall including my first PC part of B5B. Watched Dolphins and Whales last time was on Serenade, though this was Caribbean 2.5 yrs ago

Edited by ONECRUISER

On 5/9/2022 at 9:44 AM, twangster said:

Cabin tour!  Cabins were stated to be ready at 1pm but they opened them up twenty minutes early.  SeaPass cards outside on the cabin doors.

SR2205-34.jpg

SR2205-35.jpg

SR2205-36.jpg

SR2205-37.jpg

SR2205-38.jpg

Unlike some of her sisters, Serenade has shower doors.

SR2205-39.jpg

This is a corner aft balcony.

SR2205-40.jpg

SR2205-41.jpg

Kool, this is my B5B Cabin this Fall. Love my Corner/Afts!

• Like 1

Thank you for the wonderful post and photos. I am on the Serenade in August. We are taking the bus from Seattle to Vancouver so I appreciate you sharing your experience.

So I'll ask the question. Were there any/many covid cases/quarantining on board that you know of? My biggest fear is being stuck in a small room and not being able to enjoy my aft balcony...  Was the ship at capacity?