US cruisers stranded in Europe

Tony UK

Are these people truly stranded or are they completing quarantine and are unhappy about the time and cost involved? If you aren't comfortable figuring out how to test, where to get a letter to fly, navigating a foreign city on your own and so on, right now international travel is not the best idea for you. 

11 minutes ago, BarbaraB2 said:

My daughter and granddaughter will be in London and Scotland next week for a visit. I have followed your wonderful and informative live account and have passed on valuable tips to them on how to get the most of their short time there. Should the unthinkable happen  and they need a ‘Certificate of Recovery’ before returning to the US, how do they get it? 

There are many websites available where you can order a certificate of recovery online, for a fee of course. I would find one you like and get familiar with the process and the cost before traveling. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

j_i I use tripinsurancestore.com, first by using the website to find out what the 'recommended' policies available for MY concerns and before actual purchase I call and speak to one of the agents to let them know if MY concerns would be met with any particular policy.

Mind you that there have been times when I missed purchase target dates (for whatever reason LOL, like I forgot (does that count?)) and they helped me select the next best policy for the coverages I seek.

For those of us who strictly purchase travel insurance based on price and not potential covered perils, hazards, medical and etc... this option is not for you, that is until you need to make a claim and told 'sorry, not covered'. TIS will walk you through on filing ANY covered claim so you are not haplessly trying to figure out what you need to do in that process.

Worth the peace of mind, IMO - Just get and keep your documentation is the most important thing to do and they will tell you that as well, before you ever start your trip.

DISCLAIMER: Fortunately, I have never had to file a claim for travel insurance, yet I do know others who have and have used TIS to purchase and help with those claims. I have read where there are passengers who have not used TIS and have had NO issues with filing any travel related claim either. Each of our experiences will vary base on our comfort level and etc... Also, the Insurance board here on CC is a good reference point and information center, too. Not a compensated endorsement, either.

In health and bon voyage

Thanks Bo --- taking a look.

Was thinking of you last night.   My BIL who is Vegan cooked a fantastic  Meal for our pleasure last night.     Delicious and am sure very nutritional.   I'm going to have to start trying some of his recipes when we get home.

• Like 2

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks Bo --- taking a look.

Was thinking of you last night.   My BIL who is Vegan cooked a fantastic  Meal for our pleasure last night.     Delicious and am sure very nutritional.   I'm going to have to start trying some of his recipes when we get home.

j_i when is the vegan dinner party taking place???

At least six (6) courses of course... LOL

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, paulh84 said:

Are these people truly stranded or are they completing quarantine and are unhappy about the time and cost involved? If you aren't comfortable figuring out how to test, where to get a letter to fly, navigating a foreign city on your own and so on, right now international travel is not the best idea for you. 

There are many websites available where you can order a certificate of recovery online, for a fee of course. I would find one you like and get familiar with the process and the cost before traveling. 

I definitely was not stranded.    Celebrity for me was of no assistant and all I had to do is get on Google and was able to handle everything.    My understanding is Italy can be a bit of a challenge if you are put in a Italian Covid Hotel.

I think it depends on where you are.   UK there are no restriction so is totally voluntary with the exception of having to test 1 day prior to Flight back to the US or COR.   COR's have become a money maker for many and hundreds of on-line sites with fees of 29 to 99 UK Pounds.    I obtained one yesterday and it was delivered in 2 hours.  Some provide in as short as 15 minutes. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

j_i when is the vegan dinner party taking place???

At least six (6) courses of course... LOL

bon appetit and bon voyage

Of course --- Anything less than 6 courses would be a disappointment.  

My favorite is always desert and I wasn't disappointed.   Ice Cream made with Coconut Milk it was incredible.    Iain said no - problem Wine is Vegan as well as beer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Of course --- Anything less than 6 courses would be a disappointment.  

My favorite is always desert and I wasn't disappointed.   Ice Cream made with Coconut Milk it was incredible.    Iain said no - problem Wine is Vegan as well as beer.

Well, not all wines to be sure, yet I have been known to enjoy a very, very, very nice non-vegan Bordeaux from time to time... LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

• Haha 1

Well if you cant get back home and have to stay quarintined in another country I'm not sure what I'd call it!

Anyway the issue is that with Omicron people are infectious a number of days before showing any symptoms or giving a positive result. It is highly infectious so highly probable there will be people around you with covid who have no idea. Many people never have symptoms. 

As you get older it takes longer to get a negative antigen result....around 10 days.

I have my personal views on testing and I think the pre travel covid tests should be lifted due to the lack of effectiveness and the stress it causes travellers. Everyone could then make up their own mind whether to go and accept personal risk.. I would probably still wear a mask on planes and in crowded places and avoid coughers and sneezers as I always did in flu season. 

My aim in posting this was to highlight the issues to  encourage and  enable cruisers to research think through and plan before they travel. Once you go, just enjoy yourself as nothing will protect you completely whilst travelling.!

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

All good advise Bo.  

Curious if you could either send me privately or on this thread what type of insurance you have.   There are so many options out there and so many that have covid limitations. 

It would also be good for others to understand the changing policies of Celebrity and how the Certificate of Recovery (COR) can help minimize the impact or extended Positive Results. 

Out of an abundance of caution as we do not fly home for another 5 days (pre-planned) I applied and received a COR yesterday.  

You refer to ""changing policies of Celebrity." Maybe I am not following things closely enough since our next Celebrity cruise is not until October, but what has changed? Seems like if you have a positive test you are required to quarantine in a window cabin for an extended period of time. Some exceptions have occurred but seems those are occasional and random. Seems Celebrity is fairly rigid (and unreasonable) IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, edgee said:

You refer to ""changing policies of Celebrity." Maybe I am not following things closely enough since our next Celebrity cruise is not until October, but what has changed? Seems like if you have a positive test you are required to quarantine in a window cabin for an extended period of time. Some exceptions have occurred but seems those are occasional and random. Seems Celebrity is fairly rigid (and unreasonable) IMHO.

It appears that you are extrapolating from comments posted here on CC, what about passengers who may have had either the same or different experiences (non-exceptions)?

Reasonableness is generally, for most of us, what we want to happen in a particular situation and it is accommodated to a great degree, correct? Not what might be best for everyone surrounding us and/or involved helping?

In health and bon voyage

Anyone needing help in Barcelona after testing positive contact the schbelta clinic.  They were wonderful guiding us through the process of getting back to the States after my son tested positive the day after disembarking the Beyond.  The doctor issued Certificate of Recovery today and we are on our way home tomorrow.  It was one of the most stressful experiences this old lady has had in life. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

It appears that you are extrapolating from comments posted here on CC, what about passengers who may have had either the same or different experiences (non-exceptions)?

Reasonableness is generally, for most of us, what we want to happen in a particular situation and it is accommodated to a great degree, correct? Not what might be best for everyone surrounding us and/or involved helping?

In health and bon voyage

Say what you wish about effect on others and what makes sense in a broad view, , but confining passengers to a cabin with no outside air access for many days at a time is unreasonable and not humane.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, edgee said:

The biggest change is that Celebrity is no longer providing financial assistance  once you disembark. You can remain on the ship to finish required quarantine at no additional cost, but Celebrity will not arrange or pay for shoreside delays but will assist with air if you booked through them.

It becomes a problem if you test positive at disembarkation and can’t fly home right away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, edgee said:

Say what you wish about effect on others and what makes sense in a broad view, , but confining passengers to a cabin with no outside air access for many days at a time is unreasonable and not humane.

Then there are two (2) distinct options to avoid your scenario:

1) do not cruise given the policies in force and actually used; or,

2) do one's best not to be in close contact with anyone else where the possibility of 'testing positive' for C-19 is a distinct possibility.

Which of these two (2) possibilities do you or anyone else find "unreasonable and not humane"?

AND knowing that these policies will be enforced to some degree or another, in advance of sailing, my next question would be, what is the reason anyone would risk being subject to them if you do not like them?

What is the reason to pay good money for a nice vacation knowing what the policies are (in advance) and be upset when one may be subject to them due to infection or contact tracing or ???

Oh, I forget, because we can and because we paid for what we wanted despite it all...

In health and bon voyage

• Like 4

I will add that there are an abundance of people who did make it home without having Covid interrupt their vacations.  Both sides of the Covid story need to be told: however, taking precautions, IMHO, is the way to go if you are traveling.  Many thanks to all that have posted factual information on this thread.  No one can make that choice for you, but being prepared is a no-brainer, especially instead of thinking that these circumstances could never happen because...talk to your doctor and do your homework!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Then there are two (2) distinct options to avoid your scenario:

1) do not cruise given the policies in force and actually used; or,

2) do one's best not to be in close contact with anyone else where the possibility of 'testing positive' for C-19 is a distinct possibility.

Which of these two (2) possibilities do you or anyone else find "unreasonable and not humane"?

AND knowing that these policies will be enforced to some degree or another, in advance of sailing, my next question would be, what is the reason anyone would risk being subject to them if you do not like them?

What is the reason to pay good money for a nice vacation knowing what the policies are (in advance) and be upset when one may be subject to them due to infection or contact tracing or ???

Oh, I forget, because we can and because we paid for what we wanted despite it all...

In health and bon voyage

I like Celebrity very much and cruise with her frequently (pre pandemic). I am pointing out that I disagree with a Celebrity policy. Of course infected passengers need to be separated. I do not accept your framing of my point into the two options listed above as being humane or not.  My use of the word "humane" was for the purpose of suggesting that Celebrity should change the policy by assuring that Covid positive separated passengers be placed in cabins with access to fresh air. That is all. 

Edited by edgee
  • Like 5

For those of you who may find yourself without a discounted hotel reservation, check out Hotel Tonight. I learned about it years ago and it has certainly come in handy for those unexpected change of plans! (hoteltonight.com). It's an app for your phone and offers great discounts. 

Edited by pisces223
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

46 minutes ago, Babr said:

The biggest change is that Celebrity is no longer providing financial assistance  once you disembark. You can remain on the ship to finish required quarantine at no additional cost, but Celebrity will not arrange or pay for shoreside delays but will assist with air if you booked through them.

It becomes a problem if you test positive at disembarkation and can’t fly home right away.

Depends on when you sail - different rules for Europe too

For all Celebrity cruises scheduled to sail from the U.S. on or before May 17, 2022, if you test positive for COVID-19 during the voyage:
• Celebrity will cover the cost of necessary COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard the ship;
• you and members of your Traveling Party may stay onboard the ship to complete any required quarantine period, without needing to pay additional cruise fare, stateroom gratuities or taxes/fees to Celebrity for the same. As an alternative, Celebrity will coordinate and cover the costs of any required land-based quarantine for you and members of your Traveling Party;

8 minutes ago, s0479 said:

Depends on when you sail - different rules for Europe too

For all Celebrity cruises scheduled to sail from the U.S. on or before May 17, 2022, if you test positive for COVID-19 during the voyage:
• Celebrity will cover the cost of necessary COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard the ship;
• you and members of your Traveling Party may stay onboard the ship to complete any required quarantine period, without needing to pay additional cruise fare, stateroom gratuities or taxes/fees to Celebrity for the same. As an alternative, Celebrity will coordinate and cover the costs of any required land-based quarantine for you and members of your Traveling Party;

Thanks for the clarification.

May 17 gives you five more days for US sailings. The policy took effect May 1 for Europe - assistance with arrangements but no reimbursement.

Edited by Babr
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lane412000 said:

medjetassist might be something to look into before taking a trip away from home.

I hope that we never have to use the service but we have purchased for three year increments.

MedJet won’t do you any good unless you have been admitted to the hospital somewhere away from home. It is for hospital-to-hospital transfer.

I don’t think that is the main concern of people here. They are thinking about the consequences of a positive test that delays their return.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, 5waldos said:

Are you suggesting that people testing positive for CoVid should be allowed on a transAtlantic flight? To possibly infect a plane full of people? That doesn't sound like the greatest solution to me. I would not want to fly knowing that some of my fellow passengers might be contagious. And yes, I know that it is possible on domestic flights but most of them are shorter. And I'm not greatly happy about that. 

But here's why none of the testing means anything.

We traveled to Chile in late January for an expedition on the Greg Mortimer to Antarctica. We needed a PCR test 72 hours prior to getting on our plane. Both we, and the couple we were traveling with tested negative and boarded our flights as scheduled. We then had to be tested (the most invasive PCR test ever BTW) again upon landing in Santiago. Again, both couples were negative. Three days later we all flew to Punta Arenas to meet up with the rest of the expedition passengers. The husband of the other couple was feeling a bit off, so he did a home Antigen test. He was positive. All proper notifications were made and Aurora Expeditions arranged an additional PCR test for him the next morning. Positive results confirmed. No expedition for him. The story has many more twists and turns from there. And we were tested 9 times in 23 days.

My point is a negative test the day before you get on your "trans Atlantic flight" doesn't mean you don't have COVID and aren't still contagious. It just means you are able to come home with everybody else.

• Like 9

38 minutes ago, Babr said:

Thanks for the clarification.

May 17 gives you five more days for US sailings. The policy took effect May 1 for Europe - assistance with arrangements but no reimbursement.

Yep I leave May 15 so whew!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edgee said:

I like Celebrity very much and cruise with her frequently (pre pandemic). I am pointing out that I disagree with a Celebrity policy. Of course infected passengers need to be separated. I do not accept your framing of my point into the two options listed above as being humane or not.  My use of the word "humane" was for the purpose of suggesting that Celebrity should change the policy by assuring that Covid positive separated passengers be placed in cabins with access to fresh air. That is all. 

This makes it clearer...

And per X's website, they have installed/updated air filtration systems throughout the fleet.

In health and bon voyage

2 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I will add that there are an abundance of people who did make it home without having Covid interrupt their vacations.  Both sides of the Covid story need to be told: however, taking precautions, IMHO, is the way to go if you are traveling.  Many thanks to all that have posted factual information on this thread.  No one can make that choice for you, but being prepared is a no-brainer, especially instead of thinking that these circumstances could never happen because...talk to your doctor and do your homework!

The official number of cases only reflects those reported. Many on board were saying openly that they were doing their own tests but if positive unless they were really ill and need medical attention they wouldnt report because they didnt want to be quarantined in the way it was being done. They would just keep a low profile in their own accommodation. Another group werent testing themselves and just blind to their situations.  A more realistic total probably emerged when people started to get travel home tests either on ship or at airport. Out waiter told us to be VERY careful on debarkation as there were a lot of cases! Others tested positive within 3 days of disembarkation, some on back to back cruises also tested positive. The truth is that neither Celebrity or any of us  have any idea how many positives there were on the ship and shortly after debarkation and will  never know as there is no follow up. That is also a side of the story not being told. 

We all need to be realistic about the risks and the likely accuracy of information presented to us as fact.

We hope to sail again in September. We hope the pointless pre boarding test will be gone by then. Isnt it totally pointless when on our cruise we will have the next 7 days with port calls with us all galloping off the ship with no more testing! We will go with open eyes and hope for a carefree vovage xx

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Tony UK said:

The official number of cases only reflects those reported. Many on board were saying openly that they were doing their own tests but if positive unless they were really ill and need medical attention they wouldnt report because they didnt want to be quarantined in the way it was being done. They would just keep a low profile in their own accommodation. Another group werent testing themselves and just blind to their situations.  A more realistic total probably emerged when people started to get travel home tests either on ship or at airport. Out waiter told us to be VERY careful on debarkation as there were a lot of cases! Others tested positive within 3 days of disembarkation, some on back to back cruises also tested positive. The truth is that neither Celebrity or any of us  have any idea how many positives there were on the ship and shortly after debarkation and will  never know as there is no follow up. That is also a side of the story not being told. 

We all need to be realistic about the risks and the likely accuracy of information presented to us as fact.

We hope to sail again in September. We hope the pointless pre boarding test will be gone by then. Isnt it totally pointless when on our cruise we will have the next 7 days with port calls with us all galloping off the ship with no more testing! We will go with open eyes and hope for a carefree vovage xx

Yes, and to heck with the residents of the port cities visited with little to no health care available in case of infection (serious) after all, why would we care as we are doing what we want to do and it is the locals who need to protecting themselves despite the difficulties that may entail.

Sounds like a real solid plan of exposing others with intended consequences for them, to me.

In health and bon voyage

• Like 3