US cruisers stranded in Europe

Tony UK

8 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

What level of internet service did you have?

Just the basic surf package. 

With that said, there were intermittent wi-fi issues during the crossing. But we were fortunate to have a good enough signal to do the test the day before disembarkation. 

Edited by BEAV
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tony UK said:

Well things are changing all the time so its not that clear. It may be by then that testing wont be needed, lets hope so!

On the sailing we were on we didnt need a test to return to UK. There were limited number of proctored tests available from Celebrity for US citizens to travel home 55usd I think. However there was also lots of encouragement to use the facility at Rome airport to get a test. Of course by doing this you were off ship and no longer their resposibility other than to help with changing flights if you booked through Celebrity., If it is still in place I'd do the test whilst still on board so you can seek assistance if necessary!

Last night I tested positive! Bit of a cold, maks being required and Capt said 3% of guests were positive. I did a self test...which was positive...so I called medical who tested again with another positive result. Luckily DH is negative. Options were to quarantine onboard....and stay on for next cruise.

.as last day of cruise is tomorrow or go to Amsterdam hotel. We opted to stay onboard. Flights have been changed and we'll now see the British Isles from our Infinite Verandah. Will definitely miss our SS and butler Lloyd but felt this wass the best choice for us.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Last night I tested positive! Bit of a cold, maks being required and Capt said 3% of guests were positive. I did a self test...which was positive...so I called medical who tested again with another positive result. Luckily DH is negative. Options were to quarantine onboard....and stay on for next cruise.

.as last day of cruise is tomorrow or go to Amsterdam hotel. We opted to stay onboard. Flights have been changed and we'll now see the British Isles from our Infinite Verandah. Will definitely miss our SS and butler Lloyd but felt this wass the best choice for us.

Very sorry to hear this suzyluvs2cruise….take care!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Heard over 70 have tested positive on the Apex TA 

it will interesting to hear how many will test positive after they get their test to fly to the US 

• Like 2

Not sure I would travel to Europe from USA just now.......in fact no I wouldnt...I would take advantage of various locations around the US or Canada until this blows over

Edited by gordylad
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We backed out of a TA - too many days too far from land. I am still hoping to get to Europe this year but we will fly over- perhaps find a hazmat suite to wear on the plane. We are risking a cruise up to Alaska as long as things don't get a lot worse. 

• Like 1

There has to be a Public Health guru on these boards who can see a correlation between all these positive cases popping up on Days 7 and 8 after Port Everglades departure.

Every one of us was vaxxed and boosted.

Every one of us tested negative the day before boarding.

We all joined different ships with different crews, all of whom are routinely tested.

I am nothing more than a lowly cruiser whose poor pre-planning put her in a no snacks situation, but have we given any thought to the Embarkation lounges or workers? 
 This has happened industry wide on sailings out of Port Everglades.

• Like 3

On 5/12/2022 at 3:59 PM, canderson said:

See what happens if you try YVR to anywhere in Washington state where the OP of that thread was going.  I got nada from any major agency.

I was in the same situation for a cruise that ends in September in Vancouver, BC.  Ended up booking a two day car rental from Vancouver Airport to Seattle.  Was $600 but pretty much evens out if we had to fly home, take a Covid test and then transportation from Seattle airport to home.  Will keep looking though to see if thinks change!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, bananavan said:

There has to be a Public Health guru on these boards who can see a correlation between all these positive cases popping up on Days 7 and 8 after Port Everglades departure.

We all joined different ships with different crews, all of whom are routinely tested.

I am nothing more than a lowly cruiser whose poor pre-planning put her in a no snacks situation, but have we given any thought to the Embarkation lounges or workers? 

More likely, imo, the airport

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Heard over 70 have tested positive on the Apex TA 

it will interesting to hear how many will test positive after they get their test to fly to the US 

Don't think we'll ever know....there is no follow up to find out. It is not in the cruise lines interest to find out!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bananavan said:

You can test negative but still be infectious for 2 to 3 days before you would show a positive test. The virus can incubate for 10 days before a positive test. 

Very likely that it was brought on board by some testing negative and showing no symptoms at all.

I do agree that something needs to be done about retreat embarkation. We arrived at the embarkation lounge at 11-00 for our agreed boarding to find the lounge absolutely packed. There were no seats. Obviously people had completely ignored the times they had been allocated! There was no attempt at all to board people in order. Wasnt a good start especially given that the suite class was full as Celebrity had been offering bargain move up bids right till the night before sailing to maximise income. I dont have an issue with them trying to return to profit BUT they need to ensure their systems can withstand it. If that means telling suite guests they have come too early and they have to wait in line so be it!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, bananavan said:

All it takes is for one person to bring it onboard picking it up from wherever and it can spread through the entire ship rapidly especially if most passengers aren’t bothering with masks or social distancing. The virus is everywhere right now. There is no single source.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, bananavan said:

Interesting as I was wondering what the CDC is doing. Unfortunately the CDC is bowing to political pressure & I doubt they want to stop cruise ships again. But still it would be extremely helpful if they could identify where the virus is spreading from for future cruises. Thanks for all your outstanding posts & I'm so sorry to hear what you went through. Thanks for taking the time & effort to inform the CC community on what happened to you as its been invaluable.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, gordylad said:

Not sure I would travel to Europe from USA just now.......in fact no I wouldnt...I would take advantage of various locations around the US or Canada until this blows over

Yes but the reverse is more the problem.  Traveling from Europe to the USA.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, gordylad said:

Cases in Europe are decreasing while those in the US are increasing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Virginia100 said:

The virus will be everywhere for years to come, are they going to go crazy with testing, quarantine and the other “solutions” forever?  There is no Covid zero scenario that works. Even the WHO President stated that ( and got immediately censored in China!). 

as long as is necessary...not just because people get weary of it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2022 at 4:47 PM, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I'm really sorry Suzy, hope you recover soon.  @bananavan I keep seeing a correlation between The Retreat and most positives.  While the rest of the ship is not sailing at full capacity, the Retreat and Luminae are, 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

After testing positive for Covid on last day of TA Apex cruise, my sister and her friends, who also tested positive, are stuck in an Amsterdam hotel for 10 days. Did they disinfect the ship before it left Fort Lauderdale, when there were covid cases among the crew before the TA? I seriously doubt it.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Tony UK said:

Don't think we'll ever know....there is no follow up to find out. It is not in the cruise lines interest to find out!

Six out of the eight people tested positive in my sister's group on the Apex, April 30 TA cruise. They are now stuck in Amsterdam hotels for 10 days before they can fly home.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, drarill said:

I'm really sorry Suzy, hope you recover soon.  @bananavan I keep seeing a correlation between The Retreat and most positives.  While the rest of the ship is not sailing at full capacity, the Retreat and Luminae are, 

EXACTLY, but how about the cruise lines ignore those facts? 
I am becoming more and more angry. 
BUT the thing I want to say on this thread is this:
How about everyone of you who wants to hijack the thread by debating the merits of the  Covid reaction, take your opinions elsewhere. 
There are many fellow cruisers trying desperately to get home to the USA. 
How about we focus our attention back on that 
Those of us trying to return were all on Transatlantic that left the USA in the Month of April. 
And I just got the call that I am still testing positive. 
I am devastated. 

• Like 5

I am devastated. 

I am sorry you are still positive we were positive for 13 days (me) and 14 days my husband and as I have posted we are vaccinated and boostered. Thank you for posting about your horrible experience

47 minutes ago, bananavan said:

EXACTLY, but how about the cruise lines ignore those facts? 
I am becoming more and more angry. 
BUT the thing I want to say on this thread is this:
How about everyone of you who wants to hijack the thread by debating the merits of the  Covid reaction, take your opinions elsewhere. 
There are many fellow cruisers trying desperately to get home to the USA. 
How about we focus our attention back on that 
Those of us trying to return were all on Transatlantic that left the USA in the Month of April. 
I am devastated. 

Most people I know who've had it recently seem to test positive for longer at the moment? At Xmas it seemed to be 3 to 5 days and now it seems to be about 2 weeks? 

Sorry to hear that you are too 😞