What Are Your Favorite Toppings On Pizza You Found On Board Sailing......

BklynBoy8

I can't believe that number of Toppings I see on Pizza while shopping or in neighborhood joint. Sausage, Wild Mushroom, Roasted Garlic, Onion, Pineapple ?, etc.....

Have You Seen Something Unusual on Your Favorite Ship...

Our's is Basic Cheese Pizza with Fresh Basil Leaves on top. Margherita....

Traditional White Pizza......somethings with Pesto

Porcini Mushroom Pizza on White Pie

A Proper Made Cheese Pizza w Meatballs crumbled

In the Summer.......Spring Artisan Salad Pizza w Balsamic Vinegar Sauce....

What's your...

Edited by BklynBoy8

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Margherita

pizza is what I like when I am in the mood for such a vegetarian pizza.  

My favorite local pizza chain sells a Big Cheese Pizza with a choice of Black or Green Olives.  It's a Deluxe Pizza along with the olives and extra cheese.  

I don't order pizza during a cruise very often.  Really have no interest in possible un-ordinary combinations of ingredients.  

I find it interesting to read the opinions of those on CC who have made comments about their on-board pizza experiences.  Does the type of oven used to cook the pizza make a difference?  Oven types seem to differ from ship to ship.  

Have I enjoyed the best pizza ever on a ship?  Yes.  Alfredo's on both Royal Princess and Coral Princess(as a pop-up) got it "right" for my taste buds.  

• Like 1

You can order great pizza on MSC.  The regular pizza at the buffet is very good but the “special order pizza” is even better.  It isn’t available until after 6:00 PM. And they deliver!  I’m an American traditionalist…sausage mushrooms and onions…sometimes roasted peppers.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The regular pizza at the buffet is very good but the “special order pizza” is even better.

The Meraviglia's pizza chefs made very good pizza.  What I ate came from the pizza station aft of the mid-ship's pool on that deck.  The pizza offered in the buffet restaurant looked good as well.  Did the YC buffet offer pizza?  I don't remember.  

Ordering pizza after 6:00 P. M. after a day of consuming what I have consumed?  Once upon a time:  no problem!  Not so (or wise) for me to do so at this stage of my life.  

31 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The Meraviglia's pizza chefs made very good pizza.  What I ate came from the pizza station aft of the mid-ship's pool on that deck.  The pizza offered in the buffet restaurant looked good as well.  Did the YC buffet offer pizza?  I don't remember.  

Ordering pizza after 6:00 P. M. after a day of consuming what I have consumed?  Once upon a time:  no problem!  Not so (or wise) for me to do so at this stage of my life.  

The YC had the “phone your order into your butler or the concierge”.   You simply ordered by phone and then there would be a knock at your door about 20 minutes later.  The next time I sail I’m going to have a pizza party at night on the pool deck in place of going to dinner.  The pizza is that good!  It’s worth skipping dinner for.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The YC had the “phone your order into your butler or the concierge”.

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The pizza is that good!  It’s worth skipping dinner for.  

😀     The pizza must certainly be good for you to do that!  I think, however, I'll check the YC's Restaurant Menu for the evening before I would do so.  

Now you've got me searching my memory for what time of day/evening we indulged in MSC Seaside pizzas.  I know we did so on a regular basis, even though we also ate all our meals on a very regular basis. Perhaps late afternoon?  Occasionally late at night?  At any rate, they were delicious.  Usually a fairly plain variety, and fresh out of the oven.  The cook would remove one from the oven, set it out, slice it, and we would step in and grab a piece.  Yum.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

fresh out of the oven. 

That seems to be an important requirement for an excellent pizza that is prepared on a ship.  I know some who think that the kind of pizza oven that is used also makes a difference.  

22 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

That seems to be an important requirement for an excellent pizza that is prepared on a ship.  I know some who think that the kind of pizza oven that is used also makes a difference.  

Not just the oven…you need at least 600* heat.  Another requirement is a well seasoned dough.  Preferably a dough that is made from a starter and cured overnight then finished with flour and hand molded into balls and stored in the refer for another 12 hours.  Great pizza needs a great dough.  

• Like 2

On 5/15/2022 at 4:21 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Not just the oven…you need at least 600* heat.  Another requirement is a well seasoned dough.  Preferably a dough that is made from a starter and cured overnight then finished with flour and hand molded into balls and stored in the refer for another 12 hours.  Great pizza needs a great dough.  

Hi CGT, you are 100% right....even if I like the toppings, if I don't like the crust? Then foggetabout it!😃

The crust is soooooooooo important!

• Like 1

I'll open a new pizza discussion topic.  Does the way a pizza is cut have any importance to you?

In my community, the most popular of the local establishments cut their pizzas into easy to handle squares.  The chain pizza restaurants cut their pizzas into pie shaped wedges.  (There are smaller local pizza restaurants whose product is wedge shaped.)

Obviously, this has nothing to do with the quality of the dough to make the crust or the quality of the toppings.  

However, I have found--at least in my community--some prefer one way their pizza is cut as compared with the other method.

Any comments?  

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Bakeries bake their pizzas in square sheet pans.  Pizza joints use round pans.  I’ll take it any way I can!

Agree that I am likely to enjoy whatever the shape of the pizza slice may be.  

But, I have witnessed pizzas being removed from ovens in no pans.  They have been always been round.  How they are are cooked seems to have nothing to do with how they are cut.  

8 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Bakeries bake their pizzas in square sheet pans.  Pizza joints use round pans.  I’ll take it any way I can!

CGT,

If you don't mind.

Traditional Pizzas like Margherita are made directly on to the Oven Stone. The Round pan is only used when taking it out of the oven and cut for sale. It is not used in baking the pie.

The square heavy black square pans - pies are the traditional Sicilian Thick Crust which is baked twice. First the dough baked for the crust and than sauce and Mozza to finish the final part for the Pie. Some Pizzarie's will make several crusts to keep on hand early in the day. Bakeries traditional only make Sicilian pies and Pizzeria's make both. 

The traditional pizzeria's shy on using the baking screen since it it may create too burnt crust.

When I use to go to school as a child, it was a treat to get the Sicilian piece as we called it for Lunch Break. 

4 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

CGT,

If you don't mind.

Traditional Pizzas like Margherita are made directly on to the Oven Stone. The Round pan is only used when taking it out of the oven and cut for sale. It is not used in baking the pie.

The square heavy black square pans - pies are the traditional Sicilian Thick Crust which is baked twice. First the dough baked for the crust and than sauce and Mozza to finish the final part for the Pie. Some Pizzarie's will make several crusts to keep on hand early in the day. Bakeries traditional only make Sicilian pies and Pizzeria's make both. 

The traditional pizzeria's shy on using the baking screen since it it may create too burnt crust.

When I use to go to school as a child, it was a treat to get the Sicilian piece as we called it for Lunch Break. 

You are correct BB.  I knew I would incur a reaction from the pizza experts but that is what keeps this thread alive.  Round pies are natural…gravity does the work.  In New England we have “bar pizzas” and these are made in round pans then flipped out and sliced…very good.  Most professional pizzerias use the stone.  We also have a lot of Sicilian pizza around Boston.  Most bakeries offer it and a lot of pizzerias too.  Any way you slice it…pizza is wonderful around Boston.  

4 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

You are correct BB.  I knew I would incur a reaction from the pizza experts but that is what keeps this thread alive.  Round pies are natural…gravity does the work.  In New England we have “bar pizzas” and these are made in round pans then flipped out and sliced…very good.  Most professional pizzerias use the stone.  We also have a lot of Sicilian pizza around Boston.  Most bakeries offer it and a lot of pizzerias too.  Any way you slice it…pizza is wonderful around Boston. 

The Pizza that is in a short round pan is also called Chicago Pizza which is also eaten with a knife and fork. Sort of a Tall version of what we call in Brooklyn Foccasio. We love eating it with like a well made Salad.

Since we have been to Boston so many times but never went, we heard your North part had many interesting Italian shops and food locations. I read that in the board over here from others.

I must be to loyal to the Brooklynite in me with Italian joints in the Big Apple.   

First is the Foccasio and the other is Traditional Personal Pizza

40f8b3_499c1fd783e0410994cb87d7317dd5a6_mv2.webp

40f8b3_8584c5b2169a486cbe74dff86ea87a13.webp

23 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Some of the pizza chains where I live advertise "Detroit" pizza.  Is there really such a thing or is this just the marketing people trying to create something "new" and "different"?  

I know there is a Chicago one - Deep Dish.

• Like 1

Cutting a round pizza into mostly squares is what the Greek pizza places do sometimes.  3 cuts one way then 3 cuts perpendicular gives you 12 almost squares and 4 triangles.

As for a different topping on a cruise ship, here it goes.  One early evening after a day of over indulging in adult beverages I was hungry.  I was passing through the buffet and spotted an odd pizza in the kids section.  I tried it and was truly shocked by the odd taste.  It was, get this a plain pie with peanut m&m's cooked into the cheese.  It was so good.  When I got home I had to make one to see if it was the booze on the ship that made it taste so good.  It was just as good at home.  Plain m&m's tasted bad but the peanut ones had just the right taste.  

I am a chef who even has a pizza oven and knows good food.  This is something that I would never try but the booze that day and my cravings made me try something totally odd.  

• Haha 1

On 5/24/2022 at 3:34 PM, skeeter195 said:

It was, get this a plain pie with peanut m&m's cooked into the cheese.  It was so good.

Now, that has to be the most unusual post I have read this afternoon!  😁

I assume the pizza had a tomato sauce.  Plain or spicy?  If it was for kids, I'd bet on plain.  

Have you considered contacting the makers of M&M's with your discovery?  I can envision ads with the M&M characters in a pizzeria.  (To lift a line from a long playing Italian food commercial:  "That's a spicy M&M!"  😁)

On 5/31/2022 at 5:31 PM, rkacruiser said:

Now, that has to be the most unusual post I have read this afternoon!  😁

I assume the pizza had a tomato sauce.  Plain or spicy?  If it was for kids, I'd bet on plain.  

Have you considered contacting the makers of M&M's with your discovery?  I can envision ads with the M&M characters in a pizzeria.  (To lift a line from a long playing Italian food commercial:  "That's a spicy M&M!"  😁)

RK…pizza made with M&M’s…and pizza sauce???😳. YIKES!!!

• Haha 1

On 6/2/2022 at 2:35 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

RK…pizza made with M&M’s…and pizza sauce???😳. YIKES!!!

If someone would order such a concoction in Naples, can you imagine the reaction they would receive!  

• Like 1