Confused with Crew Appreciation & service tax

Taykee1

Hi Guys, 

I'm new to this so please any help appreciated. I have read many threads and still confused. I have booked a Princess cruise to Alaska next June 2023, I purchased the plus package which included Wifi, Drinks and selected dining options. So my question is do i still have to pay the Crew Appreciation and will I also be charged 18% service fee for every drink we have.  It states on the plus package - Drinks with service charge. So does that mean service charge is included or is this another hidden charge that will be billed to me at the end of the cruise. I can't find any info in my passage contract about these charges. Please Help 🙂 

The daily crew incentive and 18% on drinks is included in the package.  If you never spend over $12 on a single drink, you can walk off the ship without spending a single additional dollar on your shipboard account. 

• Like 3

Welcome to CC.

As long as the drinks you order are covered under the plan (there are a higher tier of drinks) - your drinks and crew appreciation tips are included (including taxes). On my last cruise - I ended up with out a balance on my last cruise. You should be fine.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

Where are you sailing. In the Australia/NZ market fares include crew incentives. In other markets they are not included in the fare.

The Plus Beverage Package includes all beverages menu priced US$12 (AU$16 for sailings in Australia/NZ) and under and includes the service charge. There is no additional per drink service charge.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

However, you will pay an additional 18% gratuity IF you purchase a bottle of wine.

But you get 20% off, so you more or less break even! 

8 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

However, you will pay an additional 18% gratuity IF you purchase a bottle of wine.

This depends on where the OP is sailing. Pricing is different for Aus/NZ residents on Aus/NZ sailings.

7 hours ago, Taykee1 said:

Hi Guys, 

I'm new to this so please any help appreciated. I have read many threads and still confused. I have booked a Princess cruise to Alaska next June 2023, I purchased the plus package which included Wifi, Drinks and selected dining options. So my question is do i still have to pay the Crew Appreciation and will I also be charged 18% service fee for every drink we have.  It states on the plus package - Drinks with service charge. So does that mean service charge is included or is this another hidden charge that will be billed to me at the end of the cruise. I can't find any info in my passage contract about these charges. Please Help 🙂 

Welcome to your 1st post on cruise critic. Not sure what you are referring to about selected dining? Crew appreciation is included in your fare with plus package and no additional charge for “ drinks” alcoholic or non in the package,unless you go over price limit. Here is some information direct from Princess.

Princess Plus

Get our best value fare with drinks, Wi-Fi and crew appreciation for all. Only with Princess Plus^.

+ Plus Beverage Package with service charge: Enjoy everything from cocktails, beer and wine to specialty coffees, smoothies and bottled water.

+ Unlimited Wi-Fi: With our best internet package, you can video chat and text with family back home, stream your favorite shows and check email (but only if you want to).

+ Full crew appreciation paid to our crew on your behalf: Don’t worry – we make sure the crew who takes care of you is taken care of too.

SPECIAL OFFERS AVAILABLE

Interior

Oceanview

Balcony

Mini-suite

Suite

MedallionNet Wi-Fi (1-device)

Plus Drinks with Service Charge

Crew Appreciation Included

Plus Coffee & Soda (minors only)

^General Princess Plus Terms (applicable to all portions of Princess Plus) – Available to legal residents of the 50 United States, DC, Canada, and Puerto Rico. One guest’s participation in Princess Plus may be dependent on the other guest in his/her stateroom’s participation, as determined by booking method. Princess Plus is contingent on ship capacity and only available on select voyages, while capacity lasts. Princess Plus and its parts are non-transferable, is not redeemable for cash and may not be combinable with other offers. Drinks, Wi-Fi, and Crew Appreciation are not applicable to land portion of cruisetours, and expires at the end of each cruise. Plus Beverage Package is valid only for guests who are 21 years or older. Guests under 21 booked under Princess Plus will receive the Coffee & Soda Package and will not receive any refund for the difference. The Plus Beverage Package includes all beverages priced up to $12.00 each as listed on Princess’ menu(s). Any bottle of wine, one-liter bottles of water, canned soda and bottled juices purchased on board with the Plus Beverage Package will receive a 25% discount. The Plus Beverage Package does not include mini bar items, beverages offered via self-service or vending machines, tobacco, food items or souvenir glassware. A daily limit on alcoholic beverages will apply. Bar service charge is only included in the package and is paid on behalf of the guest for qualifying beverages included in the Plus Beverage Package. Exclusions apply, see full terms & conditions for Plus Beverage Package. Wi-Fi included for one device per guest. All internet usage subject to standard Wi-Fi policies, which may limit browsing of sites due to network security and bandwidth usage and is subject to change with or without notice. Crew Appreciation paid on behalf of the guest varies based on stateroom type (up to 4 guests per stateroom). Princess Plus does not include other service charges.

*Fares are per guest and apply to minimum lead-in categories on a space-available basis at time of booking. Fares are non-air, cruise- or cruisetour-only, based on double occupancy and apply to the first two guests in a stateroom. Fares and other values quoted in USD. A refundable deposit is required for all stateroom guests and amount varies according to the cruise length, stateroom type and number of stateroom guests.

Any advertised offer may be changed or revoked at any time.

Note: You may book a wheelchair-accessible stateroom online. For assistance reserving them or other reasonable accommodations, please call 1-800-774-6237.

©2022 Princess Cruise Lines, Ltd. Princess®, MedallionClass®, and the Princess and Ocean logos and trademarks are trademarks of Princess Cruise Lines, Ltd. or its affiliates. Ships of Bermudan and British registry.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

Got it. I just didn’t understand selected dining. I know specialty dining,but op wasn’t really asking about that per say.

That was the only thing I could come up with 🤣

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

But you get 20% off, so you more or less break even! 

Except in theory you had already paid for that 25% discount when you purchased the beverage package as in no way am I going to drink 16 drinks a day! But no big deal, that’s just the way it is. 

4 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Except in theory you had already paid for that 25% discount when you purchased the beverage package as in no way am I going to drink 16 drinks a day! But no big deal, that’s just the way it is. 

Fair point, and I should have taken that into account. 

Being a wine "slob" I am more than happy with the selection of wines by the glass,  and have never been tempted to go down the bottle route. 

17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Fair point, and I should have taken that into account. 

Being a wine "slob" I am more than happy with the selection of wines by the glass,  and have never been tempted to go down the bottle route. 

We learned we can get Moscato by the glass at Vines free, but only by the bottle in the MDR. So in the future since my DW doesn’t drink, we’ll both get a glass of Moscato (both for me) at Vines and bring them to dinner. I wasn’t aware that Vines had it by the glass until someone on CC told me about half the way through the cruise. I’m sure that’s the case for many of the more “high quality” wines that are not listed by the glass on the MDR menu. 

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We learned we can get Moscato by the glass at Vines free, but only by the bottle in the MDR. So in the future since my DW doesn’t drink, we’ll both get a glass of Moscato (both for me) at Vines and bring them to dinner. I wasn’t aware that Vines had it by the glass until someone on CC told me about half the way through the cruise. I’m sure that’s the case for many of the more “high quality” wines that are not listed by the glass on the MDR menu. 

You should try the Chocolate Block from South Africa. So good (even though it is a blend)

Edited by Ombud
Typo

7 minutes ago, Ombud said:

You should try the Chocolate Block from South Africa. So good (even though it is a blend)

Thanks! I like blueberry, blackberry, muscadine and moscato wine because of their fresh natural fruity taste with absolutely no acidic bite and low alcohol content. I’ll give chocolate block a try if it falls into that category. But the description I found doesn’t sound it, but I’ll give it a try when I’m on the Regal in July.

The Chocolate Block is mostly Syrah with some Grenache, Cinsault, Cabernet Sauvignon and Viognier added to the blend. This is a smooth, full-bodied South African red from the Swartland Wine Region. Savoury, ripe with dark berry, cedar spice and smoky flavours on a smooth palate.

13 hours ago, Ombud said:

The new Princess Premier pkg?? 

Yeah, the new premier package from what I read about it allows something about the top shelf stuff and I think the some of the better wines???....I really didn't dig into it because I don't think I'd ever buy it.

Top-shelf premium beverages up to $18 each

The Premier Beverage Package includes everything the Plus Beverage Package has and:

• Top shelf spirits, reserve wines by the glass and new high-end crafted cocktails by Mixologist Rob Floyd
  • Selection of 75+ spirits, 40+ wines by the glass, 20+ high-end, crafted cocktails
  • Premier wines by the glass, including Cloudy Bay, Hartford Court, Grgich Hills and Freemark Abbey
  • Private Woodford Reserve Bourbon Selection created exclusively for Princess
  • Personalized Jack Daniel’s Whiskey Single Barrel Select
  • 25% discount on wine bottles (including rare vintages)
  • 25% discount on large bottles of water and cans of soda

Edited by Moondogy