Runny noise gives 24 hours of isolation on Odyssey. Be warned.

52 minutes ago, Belinda Van Krevel said:

this is why I am into low capacity cruises thats a sardine level

The one remaining cruise I have booked is on Radiance class, for next year. I might go on it because they have a lot of good outside spaces, including a great outside Windjammer. I would mask 100% of the time though, no dining room. Time will tell. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

So I guess no RCCL cruises for you.  Many ships are  at or near full capacity.   Full capacity for our recent Harmony cruise ( based in double capacity which is how they count) is 5400.  We had around 5200.  Close to "full capacity" and just about  the same as pre covid.   The days of 30% capacity are long gone.  

We do seem to feel the large crowds a bit more because the ships are short staffed and have a bit less entertainment .  Longer lines for dining, an fewer entertainment options, so overcrowding to see an available  show.  

M

One the Reason's I do Radiance Class on 10+ niters. Even though PreCV Royal Ship's were running Average Capacity of over 108% the Cruises I'm on had about only 1750-2050 passengers with Max beds of 2400, my Sailings inc lot of Singles and only about 20-50 Kids...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

I would mask 100% of the time though, no dining room. 

Knock yourself out (or perhaps pass out).  That's the beauty of cruising....agree/comply w/ the protocols, and no-one cares how you enjoy your time. 

2 hours ago, little britain said:

However… 

As an NHS employee here you are entitled to occupational sick pay.

You may be entitled to up to six months at full pay and six months at half pay, depending on your length of service.

https://www.clch.nhs.uk/job/pay-and-benefits

In the UK a lot of companies, once you've been with them for a while, will give you up to six months paid sickness benefit.   In 48 years of work I never had more than a week or so off (apart from maternity leave) so I'm not quite sure how it works. If the company pays out or if some is claimed back from the govt 🤷‍♀️

You do have to be regularly assessed and they can ask you to see the company doctor. You also have to be signed off work by your doctor.

Edited by sgmn

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2022 at 2:08 PM, Jasukkie said:

I am out of isolation as of today. I don't ever want to get this again. Sure, I didn't die or end up in the hospital, so it's easy to minimize as no big deal. Cruising is full steam ahead. I do think it's wise to test post-cruise before returning to work or being with vulnerable people. No need for all or nothing thinking. Cruising is not the same exposure level that many of us live with in our daily lives. It's not the same as a trip to the store or dinner out. It's 6000+ people captive in a relatively small space. That doesn't mean the industry needs to shut down, just that people should go in with eyes wide open. The risk is much increased at full capacity. Consider what that means to you in terms of health, and potentially having to isolate for a period of time upon your return. I wish good health and happy cruising to all who are able to go.

Totally agree with this and shocked people have a "I dont care if i have covid post cruise im not bothering with antigen test 3 to 4 days post cruise and dont care if i spread covid everywhere" attitude.

I think its common sense to take an antigen test 4 days post leaving the cruise ship...as in my case i was negative leaving the ship but covid was in my system and turned out on the 4th day post cruise my at home antigen test was positive.

At least i could then isolate and prevent spreading covid to more people - who might be boarding a cruise or visiting a sick relative etc etc.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Citrons said:

Totally agree with this and shocked people have a "I dont care if i have covid post cruise im not bothering with antigen test 3 to 4 days post cruise and dont care if i spread covid everywhere" attitude.

I think its common sense to take an antigen test 4 days post leaving the cruise ship...as in my case i was negative leaving the ship but covid was in my system and turned out on the 4th day post cruise my at home antigen test was positive.

At least i could then isolate and prevent spreading covid to more people - who might be boarding a cruise or visiting a sick relative etc etc.

If you really cared about people you would test twice a day, everyday for ten days post cruise and wear your mask for fourteen days.  I can't believe that you would walk around for 4 days potentially spreading a very, very deadly virus that could kill someone.  Who cares if they are boarding a cruise or not!

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

On 5/24/2022 at 1:38 PM, bucfan2 said:

Boy, that's great.  We prefer no masks...and everywhere.  Now, we both have digressed.

We've (DH&I) only worn masks when/where required since this whole thing started and we've never caught it.  The one family member who was the sickest and had to be hospitalized was the one who wore his mask all the time and never went anywhere lol.  And, he has not preexisting conditions.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Citrons said:

Do you take a test when you return from a sporting event or a concert?  What about following a trip to the shopping mall or supermarket?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Exactly! Virtue signaling is easy lol. Considering up to 60% (or more) of people who have an active covid infection are asymptomatic, folks would need to test daily and/or anytime they left their house, interacted with anyone else, have kids in school at home, go to work, go out to eat, etc etc etc. No one is doing that, I don't care what anyone says. Even hospitals and medical facilities aren't doing that and they see active covid patients. This faux outrage is ridiculous and laughable.   

Look how well China has managed things.  They locked down 25,000,000 people in Shanghai for 2 months.  For 2 months they couldn't leave their apartments. Two days ago the people were allowed to be free ,to walk around their city.  Covid Zero is the most noble goal.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/15/2022 at 8:47 AM, FlorenceItaly said:

Lesson to ALL - Pack your own test for self testing.  If negative, no need to get cruise line involved.  Do not throw package in trash can.   Repack in own suitcase.

I have already set a 4-pack of Covid tests into my cruise-box.  I had not considered taking the box home, but it's a good idea.  

On 5/21/2022 at 11:38 AM, cruisingguy007 said:

Not incorrect info. I stand by what I said and saw first hand on these very boards. These are people bringing their own tests from home. hoping to test positive before they get off the boat to entangle the cruise lines and get some hotel/food on the lines.  

I bring my own tests to be sure I don't infect anyone else, I  haven't seen anyone say they are trying to get quarantined.  If anyone has any doubt why this virus is still spreading, read what many medical geniuses say they would do or suggest others do. 

2 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

I bring my own tests to be sure I don't infect anyone else, I  haven't seen anyone say they are trying to get quarantined.  If anyone has any doubt why this virus is still spreading, read what many medical geniuses say they would do or suggest others do. 

OK, I'll bite.  How does having your own tests make you "sure" (your word) you don't infect anyone?  Are you testing daily?  Or just if/when you have symptoms?  Can't you have (and spread) covid not only before you're symptomatic, but also before a test comes up positive?  

I can get a runny nose with a temperature/humidity change.  Lasts maybe 30-60 minutes, then goes away.  I guess I should test?  

Just now, S.A.M.J.R. said:

OK, I'll bite.  How does having your own tests make you "sure" (your word) you don't infect anyone?  Are you testing daily?  Or just if/when you have symptoms?  Can't you have (and spread) covid not only before you're symptomatic, but also before a test comes up positive?  

I can get a runny nose with a temperature/humidity change.  Lasts maybe 30-60 minutes, then goes away.  I guess I should test?  

Daily or every other day.  I would not expect anyone else to do it though, I fully admit it's overboard.  But it makes me feel better, so I do it.  In your case, if it goes away that fast then of course not. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 10:21 PM, BND said:

Not that I believe masks are the panacea that some think.  I bet the numbers are no different where masking isn't required vs where it is.

There's plenty of evidence that masks work ... when they're worn correctly, consistently and by everyone involved.  

We all know that anecdote is not the singular of data, but I personally avoided Covid in my classroom for a year and a half -- even before the vaccine was available.  The week after we went "mask optional", I caught Covid.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We all know that anecdote is not the singular of data, but I personally avoided Covid in my classroom for a year and a half -- even before the vaccine was available.  The week after we went "mask optional", I caught Covid.  

That is so correct about anecdotes.  I haven't worn a mask for over a year, have been interacting with others the entire time, been inside in crowded situations and still haven't caught covid.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Calling all medical geniuses @not-enough-cruising, calling all medical geniuses @not-enough-cruising. Code green, Code green.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Look how well China has managed things.  They locked down 25,000,000 people in Shanghai for 2 months.  For 2 months they couldn't leave their apartments. Two days ago the people were allowed to be free ,to walk around their city.  Covid Zero is the most noble goal.

I follow a guy on twitter who was posting from inside. He's an American working there. His pictures of his daily food deliveries where awe inspiring.  He had an audio recording people singing.  Everybody just emanating love, hope and compliance.

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

There's plenty of evidence that masks work ... when they're worn correctly, consistently and by everyone involved.  

The highlighted portion is the very definition of an anecdote.

The science says you are wrong.

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 5.28.31 PM.png

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

The highlighted portion is the very definition of an anecdote.

The science says you are wrong.

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 5.28.31 PM.png

I agree on the anecdotal, but there are many problems using your chart.  From not knowing to what extent masks were actually worn to under reporting of asymptomatic cases in anti mask populations.  The truth is we don't know if they work.  However we do know they reduce the air flow spreading the virus and we know they don't hurt.  It would have been nice if it had not gotten so polotical, but it did.  But then, you may be totally correct.

10 hours ago, Citrons said:

Then isolate? So you waited for the positive test before quarantining?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

There sure is! One-way masking with quality 95's has worked for decades in the medical field. Seat-belts, helmets and condoms also work if only one party wears them. It's called PPE for a reason. It seems more and more apparent that some just want everyone else to mask because they are uncomfortable not being part of the herd. Forcing everyone to wear face coverings at this point is ridiculous and will hurt the cruise lines, just as they are struggling to survive and finally have cruisers coming back in sufficient numbers. Then you have to factor in all the unvaccinated folks that would cruise but can't cruise on top of that. If they return to mask mandates and the passenger counts recoil again, it would be the death knell for the industry. It's probably best for all who love cruising to keep the mask optional option going, the entire industry may depend on it. None of us wants to see the lines go under. Get yourself some 95's, they are handing them out freely in every state in the USA and wear one if you believe it will keep you safer. Everyone should decide for themselves, it will help keep businesses (including cruise lines) open and keep jobs/demand. Mask mandates do the opposite. Choice is a good thing and groupthink isn't always the universal truth. Happy sailing!      

• Like 5

8 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Do you take a test when you return from a sporting event or a concert?  What about following a trip to the shopping mall or supermarket?

I still do when visiting a 92 year old relative and I did after a cruise when visiting my baby grandson.  

But cases are dropping rapidly here so it's not such a thing as a few months ago

We still have a few of the free govt tests, so no big deal 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1