Cruise insurance recommendations

Just now, joydel said:

We will be cruising in November. Looking for reasonable travel insurance. The online quotes I have received cost too much for a 7 day cruise.

Where are you cruising? Age and health issue affect prices. Also lots don’t offer covid cover. We’ve gone with 1Cover for our domestic cruises (though all cruises need international cover cos on ship there’s no Medicare cover) which came up best for us.

covermore has now added covid cover.

• Haha 1

They all cost too much, and it is horses for courses depending on:

Domestic cruise or international ports?

Age?

Pre-existing medical?

There are a couple of recent topics with a wealth of responses.

1cover is no longer in operation.

now it is covermore. We are hoping they will still honour the $700 credit 1cover gave us on our last annual policy.

husband is checking this today as he has pre existing conditions which 1 cover allowed us previously.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joydel said:

We will be cruising in November. Looking for reasonable travel insurance. The online quotes I have received cost too much for a 7 day cruise.

The important questions are those Arxcards asked - age, do you have significant pre-existing health conditions, domestic or international ports.

26 minutes ago, kaseyoz said:

now it is covermore. We are hoping they will still honour the $700 credit 1cover gave us on our last annual policy.

husband is checking this today as he has pre existing conditions which 1 cover allowed us previously.

What? Is it new info??? Have two current policies taken not long ago????

31 minutes ago, kaseyoz said:

We too have a credit from them. Website for 1 cover is still active. How did you find this out?

40 minutes ago, kaseyoz said:

Are you sure that 1Cover is no longer in operation? I just did a quote with them.

1 hour ago, kaseyoz said:

They weren't issuing new policies as the pandemic dragged-on. They are up and running again since the restart protocols were released.

I have an annual 1cover domestic cruise policy, purchased last week. As we aren't going overseas in the next 12 months, it was perfect for us and heaps cheaper than the generic ones that cover most of the world.

31 minutes ago, arxcards said:

They weren't issuing new policies as the pandemic dragged-on. They are up and running again since the restart protocols were released.

I have an annual 1cover domestic cruise policy, purchased last week. As we aren't going overseas in the next 12 months, it was perfect for us and heaps cheaper than the generic ones that cover most of the world.

Are you certain that this domestic policy will cover you for medical onboard the ship and medical evacuation? I find their website a bit confusing.

A read of their PDS states which sections are included under the Domestic Frequent Traveller - Sections 10, 12, 12A,12B,13,14,16 and 19. Cruise Pack adds Sections 20,21,22,23,24 and 25.  Which of those sections do you think will cover medical and evacuation?

Section 1 Emergency Medical Assistance and Section 2 Emergency Medical and Hospital Expenses both state “This cover applies to all plans, excluding Domestic and Domestic Frequent Traveller”.

19 minutes ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

Are you certain that this domestic policy will cover you for medical onboard the ship and medical evacuation? I find their website a bit confusing.

A read of their PDS states which sections are included under the Domestic Frequent Traveller - Sections 10, 12, 12A,12B,13,14,16 and 19. Cruise Pack adds Sections 20,21,22,23,24 and 25.  Which of those sections do you think will cover medical and evacuation?

Section 1 Emergency Medical Assistance and Section 2 Emergency Medical and Hospital Expenses both state “This cover applies to all plans, excluding Domestic and Domestic Frequent Traveller”.

The last bit - all plans except domestic & domestic frequent traveller. The cruise pack makes the policy different to those excluded ones

https://www.1cover.com.au/faqs/cruise/domestic-cruise/

To add, I am pretty sure the coverage is only till you are coveyed to hospital, where medical cover would be via Medicare or your private hospital cover. I haven't looked-up if land ambulance expenses are included, but we are covered for that anyway.

3 hours ago, kaseyoz said:

Don’t you mean insure & go don’t seem to be issuing cruise travel insurance 

Isn’t the best option to get a credit card with complimentary travel insurance?

I have a rewards one and use it for just about everything, so get points I convert to velocity miles for the airline tickets if/when we need them plus have some airport lounge access etc.

1 minute ago, Hammer61 said:

Isn’t the best option to get a credit card with complimentary travel insurance?

I have a rewards one and use it for just about everything, so get points I convert to velocity miles for the airline tickets if/when we need them plus have some airport lounge access etc.

There is a long thread on credit card complimentary travel insurance. When I did the research a few weeks ago, only ANZ covered COVID-related claims, but this will probably change.

4 hours ago, kaseyoz said:

What do you mean 1Cover is no longer in operation? I purchased TA a couple of weeks ago through them and it was much cheaper than Covermore.

42 minutes ago, possum52 said:

What do you mean 1Cover is no longer in operation? I purchased TA a couple of weeks ago through them and it was much cheaper than Covermore.

As I mentioned earlier insure & go don’t seem to be offering cruise travel insurance but 1Cover are

21 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

If you are planning another trip, cruise or land based, within 12 months it may be worth considering an annual multi-trip policy. 

I gather your annual policy including the US isn't a cheapie?

1 hour ago, rkmw said:

As I mentioned earlier insure & go don’t seem to be offering cruise travel insurance but 1Cover are

Thanks. I should have read more of the answers instead of just jumping in. We usually buy from Insure & GO so knew they didn't have cruise cover and also were quite expensive for a domestic trip compared to 1Cover.

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

I gather your annual policy including the US isn't a cheapie?

I guess it depends what you call a cheapie. 🤣

An annual policy MIGHT  be cheaper than two individual trip policies. It’s worth looking into. YMMV

6 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

I guess it depends what you call a cheapie. 🤣

An annual policy MIGHT  be cheaper than two individual trip policies. It’s worth looking into. YMMV

It was pre-Covid.