Hammocks on the balcony

matymil

I'm buying a camping hammock and was wondering if anyone had used one on a standard carnival balcony before, mainly the Magic. I just saw someone post a quick video of it and it looks super easy to set up however he was on a balcony on a Royal ship. We are on a balcony on the 8th deck. TIA

Edited by matymil

I've never had a balcony on Carnival big enough for a hammock. When we used to sail on Royal, we would get one of the standard aft staterooms that has the huuuuuuge balconies (Voyager class) and easily put our camping hammock out there. (It was the kind with its own frame.) You can't put up one that have to tie to something. 

3 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

These are not allowed on the ships.

14 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Unless I've overlooked something I didn't see "hammocks" anywhere on the Prohibited Items List.

I think it is not that they are not allowed on the ships, but rather that they don't want them left set up if not in use, as they can be a hinderance to the crew if they need to clean the balconies, or otherwise access between balconies.  

So if you set it up, snooze, then dismantle it before heading off to the Lido or dinner, that's OK.

AFAIK, at any rate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had hung it on the standard balcony on Mardi Gras...it's super fun and super easy to do. All you need is to have two permanent "point" where you tie the rope securely. It's not a ban item but it is supposed to be a fire hazard, the same as hanging clothes / towel. It's rarely enforced....as long as you put it away after it is used, there is no bother. 

20220301_173350.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Do you have that in writing somewhere because i looked before i posted this and could not find anything that states these are banned. Thx

4 hours ago, rogd0262 said:

I had hung it on the standard balcony on Mardi Gras...it's super fun and super easy to do. All you need is to have two permanent "point" where you tie the rope securely. It's not a ban item but it is supposed to be a fire hazard, the same as hanging clothes / towel. It's rarely enforced....as long as you put it away after it is used, there is no bother. 

20220301_173350.jpg

Awesome. Good to know thank you. Yeah i only plan on having it up there when we are using it.

8 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I think it is not that they are not allowed on the ships, but rather that they don't want them left set up if not in use, as they can be a hinderance to the crew if they need to clean the balconies, or otherwise access between balconies.  

So if you set it up, snooze, then dismantle it before heading off to the Lido or dinner, that's OK.

AFAIK, at any rate.

Yeah it would only be up when we are using it. We are very respectful of the crew, we'd never leave it up.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/19/2022 at 8:00 AM, 1025cruise said:

My husband and I have been  cruising for over 25 years.  We always take at least one camping (rope type hanging ) hammock and we will often take two when we know we are getting a larger balcony aft of the ship. All different cruise employees and many various cruise lines  have seen them hanging including officers on the ships. We have been told they ARE NOT A PROHIBITED ITEM, meaning, yes you can take them on and yes you can use them. We have never been told to remove them or that we could not tie them on the balcony.  On one occasion a couple of cabin attendants helped us to get it over a bolt that was bit out of our reach to tie it.

On 5/19/2022 at 8:00 AM, 1025cruise said:

different 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 4:16 PM, rogd0262 said:

20220301_173350.jpg

NICE picture!!

I have read many threads where people ask if they could bring certain odd items on a cruise, but this is a first!  I chuckled thinking about going to the trouble of bringing a hammock, but I have to admit that it looks inviting.    However, I almost fell out of my chair when I saw where the person posting the hammock photo is from my home town!!!  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1