Live from the Ruby Princess - 10 day Alaska Inside Passage 5/20-5/30

7seascruising

When I sailed in a caribe deck balcony last December I was kind of put off by the poor quality of the towels. Didn’t ruin my cruise but I was not a fan. I’m back in a regular balcony and these towels are brand spanking new. Not as luxurious as the full suite towels but definitely Costco brand new quality. This I am very happy about. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, tcdcruiser said:

We have had turn down service every night. We just asked the cabin Stewart. 

Regarding the missed port, We were late leaving SF and spent the first 24 to 36 hours doing 10 to 12 knots.  This is my 39th Princess cruise and can say the seas were very rough and we had 30+ knot headwinds   Due to these facts I speculated in this very thread last Sunday, before the bridge announcement, we might not make Icy Point due to weather 

Please explain the “much snow on top of the mountain” comment, I do not understand how this impacted the Icy Point cancellation.  My private Icy Point excursion operator shared they had cruise ship visits on both Saturday and Sunday.  Plus, the Celebrity Milenium was at Icy Point today and left a couple hours ago. 

This is why I don't generally post.  For clarification on the comment "too much snow on top of the mountain" you would have to go to the shore excursions desk.  They are the ones that made the comment. 

14 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Glad you decided to join the ranks of posters.  You have a lot to make up to match your 40 cruises experience.  

Interesting that you felt your experience at Sabatini's on the Grand was less than stellar.  For me, it was the opposite.  I generally dislike Sabatini's compared to the Crown Grill, but, after being dragged to the restaurant, I was a willing participant for a second round.  

Just to add, previously we have had stellar experiences at Sabatini's on the  Grand. March was our first experience since we ex[erienced the remodeled Sabatini's on the Grand.  My wife is the one that is the Italian food person and she was not impressed.  Maybe next time will be different.  I thought the overall food on our other 3 post-covid cruises was better than pre-covid.  I don't think that is true on this Ruby cruise.  The last time we were on the Ruby was 2018 and that was a great cruise.  I am just hoping a new CEO doesn't negatively impact the great Princess product.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

When I sailed in a caribe deck balcony last December I was kind of put off by the poor quality of the towels. Didn’t ruin my cruise but I was not a fan. I’m back in a regular balcony and these towels are brand spanking new. Not as luxurious as the full suite towels but definitely Costco brand new quality. This I am very happy about. 

Haha, I was on the Discovery inaugural and the towels were so new everyone was commenting about the white fuzz on their face!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

Haha, I was on the Discovery inaugural and the towels were so new everyone was commenting about the white fuzz on their face!

I was on cruise 2 and 3 and those towels were amazing

• Like 1

I was planning on posting more pictures, but my wife and I tested positive this morning, so we will be enjoying the rest of the cruise from our stateroom. I hope everyone here continues to have a great cruise and maybe we’ll see some of you in another live on the Discovery in October for the “Love Boat” cruise. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, 7seascruising said:

I was planning on posting more pictures, but my wife and I tested positive this morning, so we will be enjoying the rest of the cruise from our stateroom. I hope everyone here continues to have a great cruise and maybe we’ll see some of you in another live on the Discovery in October for the “Love Boat” cruise. 

Aah sorry to hear that.

So you tested your self? Had symptoms and  medical center  tested you?

so you are still in original cabin or moved?

Thanks for sharing your pictures and live from.

13 minutes ago, 7seascruising said:

I’m so sorry to read this. A bright spot… you won’t get stuck in another country at the end of the cruise. Please take care and I hope you two are not feeling too ill. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, 7seascruising said:

Well, darn it......I'm sorry you got it.    It seems more the norm than not lately.   At least you both will sleep like babies with the rockin' of the ocean.   Hope you have a speedy recovery!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arizonaperson said:

Aah sorry to hear that.

So you tested your self? Had symptoms and  medical center  tested you?

so you are still in original cabin or moved?

Thanks for sharing your pictures and live from.

We tested ourselves and they tested us. Mild symptoms so far. In our original cabin. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 7seascruising said:

We tested ourselves and they tested us. Mild symptoms so far. In our original cabin. 

Very sorry to hear you both tested + and very surprised to hear you are in your original cabin. You are the first case I’ve heard about on Princess where they didn’t move you to the quarantine section on the ship. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you are getting everything you need delivered to your cabin in a timely manner. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 7seascruising said:

Oh no!  Speedy recovery!  Do you have the table outside your door?

Great thread … I’m to be boarding on June 9th if all goes well.  Some really surprising information I’ve learned on here.  

The Alaska seafood selections look awesome.  

We have reservations for two evenings at the Crown Grill … can’t wait to see if they stand up to the test of time.  I wouldn’t mind going back up to Sabatini’s again, though.  The atmosphere is oh so beautiful in that restaurant.  

Are they eliminating the quarantine deck and just having people remain in their original cabins?  That’s interesting!  

Too bad about missing ISP .. it’s one of my favorites.  
But, we’ve learned that going with the flow and flexibility is the name of the game while cruising post pandemic.  

10 hours ago, 7seascruising said:

Thanks for posting.  Good to hear you will stay in your original cabin.  Nice that you live an easy drive, just over the hill.  Hope you both have a speedy recovery.

6 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

Very sorry to hear you both tested + and very surprised to hear you are in your original cabin. You are the first case I’ve heard about on Princess where they didn’t move you to the quarantine section on the ship. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you are getting everything you need delivered to your cabin in a timely manner. 

when i was positive on emerald at first they said i would likely need to stay in original cabin as they were "running out of quarantine rooms"...they did ultimately move me to deck 12 which as far as i could tell was totally full of quarantined people....a scary thought as that is a LOT of rooms....of course nobody would ever answer the question as to how many people were in quarantine as i suspect they do not want the bad publicity...before i tested positive i had begin to notice a lot of rooms on deck 8 with a small table sitting in front of doors...later learned that these were rooms where people were quarantined. However unlike deck 12 there was not a security guard in the hallway but i guess they could disable your room key to be aware if you left room as you would not be able to renter the room unless you propped door open....i suspect there are a lot more positive cases than princess or any other cruise lines want to divulge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@7seascruisingi am sorry you and DW tested positive and hope your symptoms stay mild. Let’s us know if we can help you in any way. 

Posting has been touch and go but I’ll try now and again to put stuff up. 

In case I haven’t said it yet the elite bathroom amenities are available and were in my cabin on day 2. Juneau had gorgeous weather yesterday but boy was it crowded with 5 big ships in town. Royal, Discovery and Ruby were joined by Niuew Amsterdam and Serenade of the Seas. I’ll try to post more pictures. For now (if it works) here’s our lovely morning sail. 

D9C9B8ED-B234-4500-9ED1-583288B1AF78.jpeg

• Like 3

it was pretty cold at 5 am yesterday but the scenery was beautiful sailing into Juneau. Later as you can see it was almost tshirt weather. Couldn’t quite get the whole of Serenade in the picture. 

7599CABF-4CDD-4F9D-8A7B-FB1D92CD3735.jpeg

19A6A9A0-44DB-44E5-8077-47E8CF18A5D1.jpeg

C7A6D5A4-E4AD-4983-AA28-1436FE7A9BA3.jpeg

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 5

The Nick Jans photography exhibition in the piazza yesterday was awesome. He has some stunning wildlife photos. And the stories are so interesting. I didn’t think it would be appropriate to post his pictures but if you get a chance to see his work do it. North to Alaska is such a great program. 

• Like 2

@HaveDogWillTravelJust curious if the salmon were running up the creek thru town?    I think it's still early but I'm hoping they are when we are there in a couple of weeks.   I found that so fascinating, I could just watch them for hours.

I'm glad you are able to post some pictures, it makes the anticipation all that much better.

The flowers are beautiful, you hit Ketchikan at a perfect time!

1 minute ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I’ve always wanted to try the wild mushroom lasagne with cashew ricotta. I’ve never had a nut cheese. I’m not a fan so I sent it back with my apologies and ordered the scallops and shrimp. 

A9F33D41-4779-47D8-866B-EDF3D0068D8D.jpeg

Ha, I'm glad you tried it for me....LOL.    I've always wanted to try it too!

• Haha 1