Testing in Vancouver to return to the US from the Radiance

Hi. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how RCL is handling the return to US testing. Do they offer it onboard for purchase (the e-med) and if they do what is the cost. If they don't does anyone know if testing is easy to find in Vancouver. Staying 1 night after the cruise. Thanks for any info.

10 minutes ago, con3 said:

Do they offer it onboard for purchase (the e-med) and if they do what is the cost.

The only test on board any ship is typically through the medical center, not the proctored kit. Don’t recall that being reported on Radiance but on other ships where available I think it’s $55. 

You have to handle it.   I just did this on the 13-20 sailing.  I strongly suggest you either do an eMed test before you get off the ship or allow plenty of time and make a reservation to be tested at the airport. 

I did the eMed test before I got off. 

I watched several people miss their planes because they were waiting on test results - which were taking awhile.  Think an hour or 2.  Not minutes.  

Security also takes awhile.  

You cannot check in until you have a negative test. 

You are crazy if you show up at the airport just an hour or 2  and think you will be able to test.   Wait on results.  Check in.  Get through security and make your plane.  

Edited by MichFish
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, MichFish said:

You have to handle it.   I just did this on the 13-20 sailing.  I strongly suggest you either do an eMed test before you get off the ship or allow plenty of time and make a reservation to be tested at the airport. 

I watched several people miss their planes because they were waiting on test results - which were taking awhile.  Think an hour or 2.  Not minutes.  

You are crazy if you show up at the airport just an hour or 2  and think you will be able to test.   Wait on results.  Check in.  Get through security and make your plane.  

Did you do the testing on board while in port or sailing? Did you use the ship’s wifi? Just curious before we go so we can have all of our ducks in a row. Thank you.

22 minutes ago, Gray Lady said:

Did you do the testing on board while in port or sailing? Did you use the ship’s wifi? Just curious before we go so we can have all of our ducks in a row. Thank you.

I waited for the ship to get to Vancouver (which was 6am - I got up so I could watch us go under the bridge too!) and used cellular.     The Wifi on board is crap and unpredictable - though on the last sea day (Thursday) - earlier in the day, before going into the inside passage - several people were doing them in the Schooner lounge with no problems on ship Wifi.  I also noted that during that time - and in that location - the wifi was working quite well.  If your flight is on Friday - you can do this on Thursday.   Our flight was on Saturday - so Thursday was not an option for me.

I have ATT - they have a plan add on you can activate which charges your $10 per day outside the US when you connect to cellular.   You only get charged on days you connect to non-US cellular - so you can just leave the plan on - you don't have to turn it on and off.        

I connected to the Rogers network - and had full bar LTE - no problem at all with our testing (4 of us did this).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MichFish said:

Thanks for info. I kind of figured that was the way to go.

1 hour ago, NavyCruiser said:

OP, do the Emed test when arriving back into Vancouver (a day before u fly out),  $33

Or bring the free test kit u received from USPS, & online proctor, $20

Was this accepted.  I think it’s through I health.  I find the embed tests cumbersome.  One test we did the kit was not accepted because they did not like the seal on it.  The next person never asked to see the seal.  Seems that I health looks more laid back and hopefully English speaking.

We were on Radiance 3 weeks ago, debarking in Vancouver and flying back the USA. Tried to do the Emed test from our cabin and WiFi would not stay connected. I went to Guest Services and they let us use the Conference Center (behind the photo shop). The WiFi was good there and we were successful with the Emed test. 

• Like 1

CVM medical has a test site with quick results at the airport right beside US check in . They will provide you a sheet on board explaining testing options The Internet on board is Among the worst I’ve seen and can’t guarantee the use of tele health

28 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I changed my flight to depart out of Seattle instead of Vancouver to avoid the testing hassle

That's a long bus ride to Seattle...I understand the train isn't an option this year ???? But do check on this.

3 minutes ago, Ashland said:

That's a long bus ride to Seattle...I understand the train isn't an option this year ???? But do check on this.

It's a long bus ride. But the peace of mind of not getting stuck in Canada for a week is worth it

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It's a long bus ride. But the peace of mind of not getting stuck in Canada for a week is worth it

The cab driver that took us to the airport shared that he had a cruise ship passenger pay him $800 to driver her to Seattle!

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

The only test on board any ship is typically through the medical center, not the proctored kit. Don’t recall that being reported on Radiance but on other ships where available I think it’s $55. 

I just got off a Celebrity Med cruise and they sold them onboard for $24.50 but didn't give it to you untill you left the ship the last day. Thought maybe RCL would do something like that. 

3 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

OP, do the Emed test when arriving back into Vancouver (a day before u fly out),  $33

Or bring the free test kit u received from USPS, & online proctor, $20

Thanks. Is the $33 from RCL onboard?

5 minutes ago, MichFish said:

The cab driver that took us to the airport shared that he had a cruise ship passenger pay him $800 to driver her to Seattle!

Why do that when you could have justwalked over to the car rental agency at the Vancouver Cruise Port(Canada Place) and rent a car for few hours for less then a 1/4 of that to drive  to get you to Seattle. How stupid was that to pay $800.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MichFish said:

Yet another lesson we missed...please advise how one gets 'drivered'.  Is that opposed to using a different club?

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

I changed my flight to depart out of Seattle instead of Vancouver to avoid the testing hassle

Are you getting a car rental ?, an super easy drive , 3 hours.

Edited by Jimbo

24 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Are you getting a car rental ?, an super easy drive , 3 hours.

Nah, car rental (from the airport, nothing downtown had availability) was $375 plus gas. Taking the bus for $215. It'll take longer, but it's simpler since it picks up at the cruise port.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, hursttx said:

We were on Radiance 3 weeks ago, debarking in Vancouver and flying back the USA. Tried to do the Emed test from our cabin and WiFi would not stay connected. I went to Guest Services and they let us use the Conference Center (behind the photo shop). The WiFi was good there and we were successful with the Emed test. 

Thanks for info

17 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Nah, car rental (from the airport, nothing downtown had availability) was $375 plus gas. Taking the bus for $215. It'll take longer, but it's simpler since it picks up at the cruise port.

Rental cars are in short supply this summer in Vancouver and even if you can find one, the prices are sky high. $215 for the bus is CHEAP!

BTW. I'm not sure what the supply situation is in the States but I was out shopping for a new EV last week in the Toronto area and for the model we wanted the 2022's were all sold out and the 2023's delivery times were 18 - 24 months. 

Edited by DirtyDawg