Sydney O.P.T.

The only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked. Not sure, but I think not. 

It would be great if they did, and the crew would love it, as they wouldn't need to head for Maccas to use their wifi.

Many thanks arxcards and losfp for your prompt replies. 

Mmmm, well that's put a spanner in the works for me.  I'm trying to get that darn' Princess medallion app to work on my old iPhone6 but it just keeps closing down, so I thought I may be able to use my new iPad ... but without wifi at the port I won't be able to bring the info up to show at checkin. 

Oh well, I'll enter our info on the website the old fashioned way and hope for the best.  I presume I'll still be able to print boarding passes and luggage tags?

Gawd, who knows what will happen with this medallion thingie. 

I feel like that close you MIGHT be able to hook onto the shipboard wi fi?

Or maybe there's something you can print out and they check you in anyway.  They can't seriously expect every single passenger to have a compatible mobile to show at checkin.

9 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

Mmmm, well that's put a spanner in the works for me.  I'm trying to get that darn' Princess medallion app to work on my old iPhone6 but it just keeps closing down, so I thought I may be able to use my new iPad ... but without wifi at the port I won't be able to bring the info up to show at checkin. 

Oh well, I'll enter our info on the website the old fashioned way and hope for the best.  I presume I'll still be able to print boarding passes and luggage tags?

Can you use your phone as a WiFi hotspot and connect your iPad to your phone? 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

I’m pretty,pretty sure RC ship app works in the terminal. It’s been so long it’s becoming a blur.

@gbenjo. is the man to ask. If there’s something he doesn’t know about OPT it’s not worth knowing.

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Can you use your phone as a WiFi hotspot and connect your iPad to your phone? 

Good idea, I hadn't thought of that ... I'll check with son in law, he knows more about technology than I do.  Thanks for the suggestion OzKiwiJJ.

3 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I’m pretty,pretty sure RC ship app works in the terminal. It’s been so long it’s becoming a blur.

@gbenjo. is the man to ask. If there’s something he doesn’t know about OPT it’s not worth knowing.

Of course, "Mr Gbenjo"!  He would definitely know ... although I'm not "speshal".  😉  Thanks Chiliburn.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

Good idea, I hadn't thought of that ... I'll check with son in law, he knows more about technology than I do.  Thanks for the suggestion OzKiwiJJ.

Of course, "Mr Gbenjo"!  He would definitely know ... although I'm not "speshal".  😉  Thanks Chiliburn.

Everyone is special ……..there is just this one bloke that “ thinks” he is more special ( and he cannot even  spell  proper. )  than the rest . 😂😂😂😂

Sadly no, there  is no free wi fi at the OPT (although it has been two years since I was last there  😡)   I am also totally ignorant as to what is required for the Princess medallion ( whatever that is 🤔) and how it works . I am hopeless with modern technology   ( I thought phones were used to talk to other people 😂)  The ships wifi  for guests is not normally connected to the terminal  but with all the recent advances in check in technology and these apps  things I don't really know enough to help you.  Perhaps a call to Princess  ( I know ..they are hard to get to talk to ) might help.

• Haha 1

Thanks so much for replying gbenjo! 

I rather doubt if Princess call centre people would know the answer to this question.  They usually can't give definitive advice for these kinds of enquiries.

LOL I'll just muddle through and hope for the best (while expecting the worst).  Thanks everyone for your replies - I very much appreciate it. 😀

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I think all of the cruise lines are using wi-fi for their check-in laptops/iPads these days, but that is their secure network. Still, if you can see the promenade deck, you should be able to get a signal for the guest wi-fi signal.

For the exercise, I will confirm if the P&O app connects in White Bay terminal on Tuesday, I can recall connecting the P&O app to the ship while we were waiting to board at White Bay in early 2020.

1 minute ago, LC1950 said:

I rather doubt if Princess call centre people would know the answer to this question.  They usually can't give definitive advice for these kinds of enquiries.

LOL I'll just muddle through and hope for the best (while expecting the worst).  Thanks everyone for your replies - I very much appreciate it. 😀

The Princess reps won't be able to tell you if there if wifi at the OPT, but they can probably help with your enquiries about checking in with or without filling out info on the Medallion. I suggest you try the live chat. I have found the best time is at 9.02am when they first start. The second time of day that isn't too bad, is 4pm or later.

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

I think all of the cruise lines are using wi-fi for their check-in laptops/iPads these days, but that is their secure network. Still, if you can see the promenade deck, you should be able to get a signal for the guest wi-fi signal.

For the exercise, I will confirm if the P&O app connects in White Bay terminal on Tuesday, I can recall connecting the P&O app to the ship while we were waiting to board at White Bay in early 2020.

To connect to the ship's wi-fi wouldn't you have to have an account with them? If someone has booked a Princess fare that includes wi-fi that might work, but otherwise I don't think it would.

2 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

I am guessing that if your iPad is ok to work once you are on board  but not inside the terminal and all your info is on their system,  they would be able to process you in the terminal and get you on board , no problem.

7 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The Princess reps won't be able to tell you if there if wifi at the OPT, but they can probably help with your enquiries about checking in with or without filling out info on the Medallion. I suggest you try the live chat. I have found the best time is at 9.02am when they first start. The second time of day that isn't too bad, is 4pm or later.

Thats what I meant 👍😁

1 hour ago, LC1950 said:

I can't tell you exactly how to do it as my phone is Android, not Apple. But if that function is available on iPhones there should be something in settings that can be turned on. Then connect the iPad to the iPhone as if it was just anothe WiFi system.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

To connect to the ship's wi-fi wouldn't you have to have an account with them? If someone has booked a Princess fare that includes wi-fi that might work, but otherwise I don't think it would.

In Princess' case, the app already has your account, as long as you have the check-in details complete.

You don't need a wifi package to connect to the ship for ordering, Princess.com or their social pages.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, arxcards said:

In Princess' case, the app already has your account, as long as you have the check-in details complete.

You don't need a wifi package to connect to the ship for ordering, Princess.com or their social pages.

That’s the same as RC .

The app is installed on your device,you have a account and your boarding details are on your account.

Im pretty sure I could get the app near the ship.

Ovation used iPads to check people in at the terminal so there must be something.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, losfp said:

Yeah I'm actually not sure.  Every time I've sailed out of Sydney, I've just used my regular mobile.

Us too. But if you're from overseas appreciate it helps to know. Actually most major cities would have free wifi somewhere around the place if you are happy to use it.

44 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

I am guessing that if your iPad is ok to work once you are on board  but not inside the terminal and all your info is on their system,  they would be able to process you in the terminal and get you on board , no problem.

The iPad will be able to be used to connect to the ship's intranet but unless LC1950 booked a Plus fare or bought the internet package they won't be able to connect to the internet using the ship's WiFi.

29 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I can't tell you exactly how to do it as my phone is Android, not Apple. But if that function is available on iPhones there should be something in settings that can be turned on. Then connect the iPad to the iPhone as if it was just anothe WiFi system.

Yes, you can use your iphone as wifi hotspot to connect your ipad or other device to wifi. It's very easy to do.

1 hour ago, LC1950 said:

To use an iphone as a wifi hotspot, go into Settings, and click on Personal Hotspot and swipe across Allow Others To Join to allow access, You will then see there is a password for you to use and instructions how to connect your device. Very easy. I use it reguarly.

Thanks Leigh & Julie ... got it!  As that meerkat says "Simples"!  Yes Julie, I've bought the plus package so all good there.

I would hope that the O.P.T. has dragged itself into the 21st century had free wifi installed during the cruise ban ... airports have free wifi as do shopping centres, libraries, etc.  It's the norm these days and to not have it would seem like the "olden days".

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

Thanks Leigh & Julie ... got it!  As that meerkat says "Simples"!  Yes Julie, I've bought the plus package so all good there.

I would hope that the O.P.T. has dragged itself into the 21st century had free wifi installed during the cruise ban ... airports have free wifi as do shopping centres, libraries, etc.  It's the norm these days and to not have it would seem like the "olden days".

Once cruising restarts fully the OPT might be able to afford to install free WiFi. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Once cruising restarts fully the OPT might be able to afford to install free WiFi. 

I am pretty sure it is not a money thing …….It has been five or six years since the OPT was “ renovated” and at that time all this technology with apps etc for check in and such was not, if at all, necessary and “ loitering” inside the terminal was ,and still is,  discouraged so wifi would have been seen as a no no.The cruise lines simply hire the terminal from the Port Authority who also hire the venue out to the “ public” for other functions and wifi may not have been deemed necessary .     I have no idea how much connecting wifi would cost to install  but I am sure if it was requested and justified by the cruise lines, it would happen.

7 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

I am pretty sure it is not a money thing …….It has been five or six years since the OPT was “ renovated” and at that time all this technology with apps etc for check in and such was not, if at all, necessary and “ loitering” inside the terminal was ,and still is,  discouraged so wifi would have been seen as a no no.The cruise lines simply hire the terminal from the Port Authority who also hire the venue out to the “ public” for other functions and wifi may not have been deemed necessary .     I have no idea how much connecting wifi would cost to install  but I am sure if it was requested and justified by the cruise lines, it would happen.

It's probably more essential in a day stop port, like Port Chalmers has, than a turnaround port where the aim is to move people through the terminal as quickly as possible. But with WiFi improving and becoming cheaper on ships it may not be necessary at day stop ports much longer.