Cunard second seating.

Lanky Lad

7 minutes ago, carlmm said:

So one gets the same fixed assigned table mates, too?

Of course not.

If one goes the way you describe: Where is the coverted flexiblility? What is the difference to have a fixed time right away, without having to go through the described hassel?

Given the current outbreak of covid on QE now - the last thing I want to do is spend hours every night with a group of strangers who are unmasked!   We did a large table late dining on our previous trip and it was nice getting to know others - but now - unless infection rates drastically improve between now and when we board in July I have very serious reservations about sharing a table with unmasked strangers - unless they are testing every few days to pick up those who are infected but test negative on embarkation 

• Like 5

Not everyone enjoys being herded into Britannia at one time .

Open seating can be done easily on the QM2 by splitting the upper/lower Britannia , perhaps during Early Dining also.?

Would certainly reduce the pre-dinner drink crowds in the lounges.

Open seating is very popular on other cruise lines .

Edited by MCC retired
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, carlmm said:

So one gets the same fixed assigned table mates, too?

Of course not.

If one goes the way you describe: Where is the coverted flexiblility? What is the difference to have a fixed time right away, without having to go through the described hassel?

My post was an example for those who dislike flexible time. They can choose the same time nightly if they choose, but one can cone whenever it suits them. And one can sit alone, with friends, news acquaintances, same people each night, whatever suits their flexibility. 

• Like 1

... I think having the same staff every day is so important, certainly for dinner in the evening.

Building mutual relationships makes their job easier I would think and more enjoyable and satisfying.

I like to get to 'know' the staff too!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PCM said:

... I think having the same staff every day is so important, certainly for dinner in the evening.

Building mutual relationships makes their job easier I would think and more enjoyable and satisfying.

I like to get to 'know' the staff too!

Totally agree….
The relationships enjoyed now with RMs, MDs, HWs and waiters on Cunard, began years ago when they started as waiters on Cunard (also Princess).  Then watched their progress to HW and so on.  
In addition, every year new waiters join Cunard, again relationships are immediately built, all based on mutual trust and respect.

This rapport, both on and off ships, can not be achieved and built upon by playing musical chairs.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Totally agree….
The relationships enjoyed now with RMs, MDs, HWs and waiters on Cunard, began years ago when they started as waiters on Cunard (also Princess).  Then watched their progress to HW and so on.  
In addition, every year new waiters join Cunard, again relationships are immediately built, all based on mutual trust and respect.

This rapport, both on and off ships, can not be achieved and built upon by playing musical chairs.

I'm sorry I don't get it - We did have the same waiter/waitresses last time - but I wouldn't recognize them now (even without a mask). The Matre'd did nothing but rather grumpily find our table number on the first day (we had no idea we were supposed to know it).  The wine waiter was a character I'd probably remember her.   

I guess we are low maintenance customers - we dont' have any dietary intolerances, and will try pretty much on a menu given to us. We drink most wines  so long as they are alcoholic! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

That's why I sail on Cunard  - because it's not 'other cruise lines'.

Other than the Grills , dinning on Cunard is very much like other cruise lines but without a bookable  Open Dining choice.

9 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

That's why I sail on Cunard  - because it's not 'other cruise lines'.

Precisely - (I do have to wonder why being like “other cruise lines” is important to some people. What is wrong with a bit of variety?)

It does seem that Carnival Corp. tends to make its subs increasingly similar.  As HAL and Carnival became more similar, it was not a matter of Carnival becoming better.

Edited by navybankerteacher

In my experiences with set seating and the same table mates and same wait staff, more often then not, the arrangement was fine.  However, there have been some disasters and some disappointments.

1. One cruise, the waiter asked my travel partner what dressing he wanted on his salad. He wanted blue cheese. The waiter left to get the blue cheese. Five minutes later, the blue cheese arrived. OK. First night -- but this continued EACH night for out longer 8 night crossing. And every time someone at the table ordered meat, he asked again each time how they liked it cooked. So much for have the same waiter.

2. On one Christmas Cruise, I was seated at a great table of six (all singles), but two of the seats were not filled. The next night (and for the next 11 nights) two ladies sat down and continually criticized everything, including what and how the others ordered for meals. This went on for the entire cruise. Once I ordered 2 appetizers ("starters" they called them) and the one lady commented that she cannot believe that I would dare order two starters! Thankfully they left the table each night right after they picked at their main course, allowing the rest of us some peace.  The other 3 guests were wonderful. I could have moved, but enjoyed the other's company. And can one really request that annoying table mates be removed???

3. On another cruise, my friend and I were seated with a mother and daughter (great company) and a man and his girlfriend. The man was good company, but on the third night, they had a fight at the table. Each night she came to the table, she let us know how much they had fought that night. At one point, my friend tried to speak to her about the weather, and the woman turned to him and hissed like a cat and stated that she should not be spoken to unless she speaks to him!!!  Again, we endured because of the lovely mother/daughter.

So it is not always sunshine and lollipops when one has assigned seating with people one does not know!!!!!

• Like 2

Good news - Just switched out of the full QM2 2023 world cruise to the 2024 QM2 world cruise NYC - NYC and under dining preferences one can chose early assigned. Late assigned or anytime you jolly well wish. (My edits). A sensible solution that should make everyone happy, those who like a set time , table, wait staff and tablemates and those who love to explain who they are every single evening, plus at breakfast and lunch or prefer to dine in singular (one or two) solitude.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, njguy_south said:

In my experiences with set seating and the same table mates and same wait staff, more often then not, the arrangement was fine.  However, there have been some disasters and some disappointments.

1. One cruise, the waiter asked my travel partner what dressing he wanted on his salad. He wanted blue cheese. The waiter left to get the blue cheese. Five minutes later, the blue cheese arrived. OK. First night -- but this continued EACH night for out longer 8 night crossing. And every time someone at the table ordered meat, he asked again each time how they liked it cooked. So much for have the same waiter.

2. On one Christmas Cruise, I was seated at a great table of six (all singles), but two of the seats were not filled. The next night (and for the next 11 nights) two ladies sat down and continually criticized everything, including what and how the others ordered for meals. This went on for the entire cruise. Once I ordered 2 appetizers ("starters" they called them) and the one lady commented that she cannot believe that I would dare order two starters! Thankfully they left the table each night right after they picked at their main course, allowing the rest of us some peace.  The other 3 guests were wonderful. I could have moved, but enjoyed the other's company. And can one really request that annoying table mates be removed???

3. On another cruise, my friend and I were seated with a mother and daughter (great company) and a man and his girlfriend. The man was good company, but on the third night, they had a fight at the table. Each night she came to the table, she let us know how much they had fought that night. At one point, my friend tried to speak to her about the weather, and the woman turned to him and hissed like a cat and stated that she should not be spoken to unless she speaks to him!!!  Again, we endured because of the lovely mother/daughter.

So it is not always sunshine and lollipops when one has assigned seating with people one does not know!!!!!

True but I have found that not having sunshine and lollipops can also create some marvelous after dinner gossip while enjoying the Queens Room dancing or in The disco. Many of my more memorable characters on the final QE2 world cruise were what one might put down as not sunshine as lollipops.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/26/2022 at 8:41 PM, majortom10 said:

But not everyone can afford to book Club and enjoy eating in MDR so why should they have to pay extra to eat in Verandah, Kings/Lido alternative or spend the whole cruise eating in Golden Lion or having room service.

Fully understand the direction of travel of one ‘s thoughts.  However, one was just trying to help.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, deck chair said:

Hi!   So, if the dining times change what is going to happen to all the parties in Queens Room that preceded dinner?   Gone? 

Deck Chair.

Think it will be so….
But then again, not bothered either way, as stopped going to the bun fight many years ago.

22 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Think it will be so….
But then again, not bothered either way, as stopped going to the bun fight many years ago.

HI!   Puzzled what you are talking about. I have attended countless of parties on QM2, QV, QE and QE2 and never witnessed any fights.  They are well attended, and passengers seem to enjoy them.  If Cunard does away with them it will no doubt be to only save money and it will be one more reason to not think of the line has that special.  May as well go back to HAL for my long voyages. Certainly, less expensive.

32 minutes ago, deck chair said:

.... I have attended countless of parties on QM2, QV, QE and QE2 ... They are well attended, and passengers seem to enjoy them.  If Cunard does away with them it will no doubt be to only save money and it will be one more reason to not think of the line has that special.  ...

Indeed.

I hope they will return soon.

28 minutes ago, deck chair said:

HI!   Puzzled what you are talking about. I have attended countless of parties on QM2, QV, QE and QE2 and never witnessed any fights.  They are well attended, and passengers seem to enjoy them.  If Cunard does away with them it will no doubt be to only save money and it will be one more reason to not think of the line has that special.  May as well go back to HAL for my long voyages. Certainly, less expensive.

Bun Fight - It’s an expression meaning a feeding frenzy by many over a single item i.e. a bun.

One’s opinion is based on witnessing many a feeding frenzy over obtaining a second drink, or to store multiples of various types, to then carry into Dinner.

One has and will continue to pass.  Better drinks and ambiance in other parts of the ship.

10 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Bun Fight - It’s an expression meaning a feeding frenzy by many over a single item i.e. a bun.

One’s opinion is based on witnessing many a feeding frenzy over obtaining a second drink, or to store multiples of various types, to then carry into Dinner.

One has and will continue to pass.  Better drinks and ambiance in other parts of the ship.

HI Again!  Being from America not familiar with the term BUN FIGHT so thank you for the lesson.

Since Cunard appears to be in decline I am looking into long cruises on SAGA cruises.  

Deck Chair.

30 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

I did actually go to the parties until Covid, and never witnessed frenzies over a second drink. What I have encountered, and more in recent years, was people behaving very discouteously and talking quite loudly all the way through speeches made by the Captain and others. I really can't imagine why people do this.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I did actually go to the parties until Covid, and never witnessed frenzies over a second drink. What I have encountered, and more in recent years, was people behaving very discouteously and talking quite loudly all the way through speeches made by the Captain and others. I really can't imagine why people do this.

The event attracted the greedy crowd, now It appears they are joined by the rude and bad mannered.  Not a good mix.

Don’t worry, Cunard’s future is in their hands.

44 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

The event attracted the greedy crowd, now It appears they are joined by the rude and bad mannered.  Not a good mix.

Don’t worry, Cunard’s future is in their hands.

We gave up on large drinks occasions years ago as we don't like crowds but I haven't seen many [any?] rude or bad mannered exhibitions around a Cunard ship so I'm guessing Cunard will be in safe hands going forward.

• Like 1

I love the set dining times and actually really enjoy getting to know the waiting staff. We often get funny looks from some because we are laughing and joking with them all evening. We do this for one reason only and that is because we treat everyone the same, we expect nothing out of the ordinary in return, but I can guarantee we get fantastic service and nothing is too much trouble, even the sommelier walking out of the dining room to the gin bar to get a gin that was not in the main dining room.  I remember one time at afternoon tea seeing our evening waiter and saying how the tea was nowhere near as good as he made each evening. Five minutes later he was back at our table with a separate full pot of perfectly made tea just for me. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, cook68 said:

I love the set dining times and actually really enjoy getting to know the waiting staff. We often get funny looks from some because we are laughing and joking with them all evening. We do this for one reason only and that is because we treat everyone the same, we expect nothing out of the ordinary in return, but I can guarantee we get fantastic service and nothing is too much trouble, even the sommelier walking out of the dining room to the gin bar to get a gin that was not in the main dining room.  I remember one time at afternoon tea seeing our evening waiter and saying how the tea was nowhere near as good as he made each evening. Five minutes later he was back at our table with a separate full pot of perfectly made tea just for me. 

Think this account, plus others, too numerous to mention, happen because it’s being part of the Cunard Family, in one’s second home on the sea.

And there’s no such thing as a global MD Mafia……😉

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 10:34 AM, deck chair said:

Hi!   So, if the dining times change what is going to happen to all the parties in Queens Room that preceded dinner?   Gone? 

Deck Chair.

There is no reason for that to happen.  There has been a separate party for Grills passsengers at a time when most who wish to attend can do so conveniently.  As for the Club and senior officers parties they seem to have been at a convenient time for most people.