Need tips/advice for cruising with 16 first timers! On Panorama

juanarcin

My wife and I have been on about 8 cruises. Mostly Europe and Asia since we are not beach people. We always see if any friends or family want to join but always get turned down. We'll it fi ally happened... EVERYONE said yes! Lol. We mentioned a cruise were taking on the panorama to our families (both hers and mine). And 90%of them said they are in. Our concern is that there will be a lot of people looking to my wife and I to sort of guide everyone. So I'm hoping for tips or suggestions, ideas and advice to avoid issues. Info on main points of concern below, thanks! 

The people going are... 

Our (4) parents mostly speak Spanish... Huge concern because they will be leaning on us the most on things like "what do we do next/now?" 

Couple with a newborn (about 8 months by the time of cruise) 

Couple with 2 young ones (3 and 6)

2 sets of Young couples (mid twenties) probably the least of our worries as they will likely explore a lot on their own. 

My wife and I

Concerns:

Ports on the panorama (specifically excursions) seem very repetitive. All of them seem to be bar hoping, swimming with the dolphins, atv's, or bus exploration. Again, my wife and I aren't beach people, so maybe we are being over critical, but it seems like we would be bored with this (we wanted to see the ship more than anything when booking this). But if we feel we will be bored with the ports and they're looking to us for guidance... Lol

Dining? We are currently on the oasis and have been taking notes of possible issues. One huge one is wait times for MDR. We've done about 20min each time for my time dining. We're fine but we can imagine a group of hungry people all looking at us with angry eyes haha

How to keep everyone entertained? Sure there's things to do, but what about the in between? We just did trivia and the next activity isn't for 2 hours? Now what? 

Setting expectations for the parents who are used to the grandparents watching the kids. Comments have already been made such as "well one day we can leave the kids with X and then the next day with Y" but my wife and I bought the cruise for X and Y and we want them to enjoy it! This is more an internal issue but wondering if anyone's gone through it. 

Long walks, boarding, exploring etc. Our parents are older. They aren't using wheel chairs or anything, but in a way that might make things harder because they do get tired easily and might feel odd if we suggest one. For example the other day my mom was bragging to me that walked 1700 steps while out exercising. Yet today I went to grab food before heading out and it was 2000 steps just between my room and the buffet! 

I have so many more but this is already getting long so I'll leave it at this for now. Thank you so much if you read this far! Lol

I've posted a pretty good list of things to do at all of these ports under the MR board, great info can be found there!

If time is a concern, then you might want to consider early/late dining, that way you won't have to worry about it. We were on the Panorama in Oct., the wait times I heard were not bad, but we did late dining.

There's plenty to do! Eat, pool, walk, eat, trivia, cards, games, etc. If you can't find anything to do, then maybe a cruise is not for you. I travel in groups, my motto is to do what you want to do, i.e., we don't have to do everything together! Explore and do what you want to do.

We've gone thru this. We tell our parents to enjoy, and, IF we need a sitter, we don't abuse it. Also, kids camp is awesome, so if it's available, take advantage of it.

Scooter is an option. Or, just let them deal with it. If they're tired, take a break. Or, stay on ship if they don't want to explore.

I really think you're over analyzing. Just go, have fun, let things happen as they happen. You're going to stress thinking about all these 'what if's'! I used to do this also, but after 20 cruises, we just go with the flow and let yourself go!

FYI: We just got back from a 10 day Euro cruise with my mom and stepdad. My mom has arthritis, but she put in her 15k steps a day doing 7 excursions (105k total steps), plus another 3 days pre cruise in Rome! I think that if they really want to go and have fun, they'll find a way 🙂

Hope this helps! Hope it's not misread as being negative or critical, it's not meant that way.

How. Arable are the parents in English?  I understand there are many who understand well, but aren’t comfortable speaking English.  How about reading?  I suspect there are many Spanish speakers sailing from Long Beach, and I suspect if you ask at guest services you might be able to get the daily program in Spanish.  Also, ask in the MDR if the menu is available in Spanish.  
    Don’t try to arrange meals with everyone.  Some may want to eat early, esp. those with young children.  Have those couples try the MDR…wait staff cater to children.  
  Make sure everyone who is eligible is vaccinated.  EM

How soon is the trip? hopefully you guys will have enough time to get everyone set up, traveling with 16 family members is rough enough let alone first time cruisers 

I really don't envy you.  I have had to lead my family/extended family before (I think there were between 10 - 12 of us. Can't remember exactly) and it is very tiresome if you let it be.  I would focus more on your parents and let the younger adults take care of themselves (they would probably enjoy it better that way, too).  The parents just need to know when and where to be and how to get there (I'm speaking about onboard the ship).  See if you can get them a map of the ship.  Bring note paper to write down information for them.  Don't try to have meals with all 16 of your group at one time.  Divide up and have 8 eat together one time and switch it up to sit with different people the next time.  Honestly, you can't talk to all 16 at one table, anyway. 4, 6, or 8 is much better for conversations. As far as shore excursions, I would plan the "spoon feed" kind of tours of riding a shuttle and have guide point things out for your parents.  If you don't want to go, maybe you could see them to the shuttle and be back to meet them when they get back (assuming you can use your cell phones to stay in touch with them, it might be worth the investment).  This would give you a small break while they are gone.  Not sure I can give any advice on the babysitting situation.  I know in-room baby sitting use to be an option pre-Covid.  Not sure if they are offering that now.  But definitely the 6 year old (maybe the 3 year old) can take advantage of the kids clubs.  They are great!  Good luck  Hope it all goes well.  I would be interested to know how it goes. 😉 

58 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

I've posted a pretty good list of things to do at all of these ports under the MR board, great info can be found there!

If time is a concern, then you might want to consider early/late dining, that way you won't have to worry about it. We were on the Panorama in Oct., the wait times I heard were not bad, but we did late dining.

There's plenty to do! Eat, pool, walk, eat, trivia, cards, games, etc. If you can't find anything to do, then maybe a cruise is not for you. I travel in groups, my motto is to do what you want to do, i.e., we don't have to do everything together! Explore and do what you want to do.

We've gone thru this. We tell our parents to enjoy, and, IF we need a sitter, we don't abuse it. Also, kids camp is awesome, so if it's available, take advantage of it.

Scooter is an option. Or, just let them deal with it. If they're tired, take a break. Or, stay on ship if they don't want to explore.

I really think you're over analyzing. Just go, have fun, let things happen as they happen. You're going to stress thinking about all these 'what if's'! I used to do this also, but after 20 cruises, we just go with the flow and let yourself go!

FYI: We just got back from a 10 day Euro cruise with my mom and stepdad. My mom has arthritis, but she put in her 15k steps a day doing 7 excursions (105k total steps), plus another 3 days pre cruise in Rome! I think that if they really want to go and have fun, they'll find a way 🙂

Hope this helps! Hope it's not misread as being negative or critical, it's not meant that way.

Thank you so much! Not misread or taken the wrong way at all! I appreciate your words 🙂

Our biggest concern is making sure everyone enjoys but you're right, our first cruise was an amazing experience and I'm sure the ships already put the thought into making it fun for everyone so we don't have to. Thanks again!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

How. Arable are the parents in English?  I understand there are many who understand well, but aren’t comfortable speaking English.  How about reading?  I suspect there are many Spanish speakers sailing from Long Beach, and I suspect if you ask at guest services you might be able to get the daily program in Spanish.  Also, ask in the MDR if the menu is available in Spanish.  
    Don’t try to arrange meals with everyone.  Some may want to eat early, esp. those with young children.  Have those couples try the MDR…wait staff cater to children.  
  Make sure everyone who is eligible is vaccinated.  EM

They understand English, just not as comfortable speaking it. But as another poster mentioned, I may be over analyzing. I'm sure they will have fun. But thanks for the advice on dining. This makes a lot of sense. We may plan one or two dinners for everyone but after that everyone for themselves! Also allows guilt free trips for that second (or third) dessert! 

• Like 1

Don't try and play travel agent/coordinator, it will only end in frustration. Just link your bookings for dining and that is it. If folks want to join for dinner on some nights, great, the more the merrier! If not, that's cool too. It's simple as that, the rest, just play it by ear and let everyone decide for themselves. Trying to get several parties on the same page is an exercise in futility. It won't happen and it will just be frustrating for everyone, especially you. Get them on the ship, the rest will happen naturally. Same with excursions, mention what you are doing but let each sub group make their own choices and decisions. Good luck, you're going to need it..lol.   😁

• Like 2

A note regarding YTD.  With the HUB app, you can check in as you are leaving your room.  Even if a table is ready at that very moment, you have 10 minutes to get to the dining room.  If not, then the walk to the dining room takes up a good bit of the wait time.

FWIW, I am a major planner and I would be stressed that my family didn't know something major.  I would put together an FAQ sheet for each familing coming and then make them responsible for everything that they need (documents, testing, exemptions, etc.).  Tell them once, tell them in writing, and then be done with it unless they come to you with questions.

As far as the day-to-day, in the FAQ explain about the HUB app and how to use it to find out what's going on during the cruise.  Adults are adults no matter their age and should be able to be responsible for their own entertainment.

We did a wedding cruise for my daughter with over 40 guests.  Talk about herding cats!  

So the best advice I have is get a travel agent to take care of the details.  Everyone books and pays for their own through the T.A. (you can pay the T.A. for your parents since you want to treat them).  Have the TA link the reservations for dining, if you can all agree on a dining time.  We did fixed dining and had several tables, and we switched up the seating arrangements on each night.  People sat where they wanted at our tables.  By using the same TA, we were awarded some goodies and OBC, which we split evenly between the cabins. 

As for excursion, we said we are doing X, if you want to join us, meet us at a specific place and time.  Over half did that, the rest decided to stay on the ship, at the port or did something else.

As for your parents, they will need to set boundaries if they want them.  Many grandparents would enjoy spending some cruise time with their grands, others not so much.  But I do agree for the older kids, the kids' club is a great option.  If you do early dining, they used to pick them up from your table or sometimes had separate meals for them in Lido - this was all Pre-Covid so not sure what the rules are presently. 

My rule when traveling with family (excluding little ones) is everyone should do what they want, but we have our meals together.  You might want to order t-shirts for everyone, and pick a day to wear them and have that big group picture taken on the stairs. 

All in all, I have enjoyed our group cruises, and am looking forward to a cruise in a few weeks with my husband and our three grands, ranging in age from 13 to 21.  They are all experienced cruisers, so that does make it easier. 

• Like 2

You've already received the comment I wanted to lead with, and that is don't be the travel guide (and complaint department) for others. Look in the mirror, that person is on vacation too.

My wife and I have been on 37 cruises, on those over the past ten years or so from here in Galveston another couple or as many as twenty people from other families have joined us. 

I have them all over for burgers, load up the Mac on Apple TV and show them the ship, the shore excursions pages, the Do's and Don't sections and then share the contact information for our PVP. We do tell them some tips for a good day at sea and share our experiences with the excursions we have done in the past.

Only then do I tell them our dinner plans, our specialty dining choices, shore excursions and our schedule. My wife is a retired teacher, I'm in medical sales. We book things well in advance on the Outlook Calendar.

Tell them all "I am on a cruise ship you will be on. Here are our plans, join us for all or none of these. We eat dinner at 6 PM, go to the shows every night and then find the piano bar. Join us for those or none."

We do have a favorite meet up place on the ship, it's one of the tables by the burrito bar on the starboard side of most of the Carnival fleet. Most afternoons you can find us there with cards, dominoes or a cold adult beverage.

Does my plan work? Yep. So far we have a big group going to Alaska next summer and are working on a last minute Breeze trip for the summer. Come go with us. See you at dinner.

Edited by BallFour4
  • Like 2

Get with your travel agent or PVP at Carnival and hook the reservations together. Pick early or late dinning. Then at least once a day, or so, everybody will get together. Setting up a social media group so people can share plans and excursion they find is also helpful. Encourage those with kids to make use of any kids clubs that they can. 

There are plenty of tour companies at each port that offer way more tours, often at better prices, then the ship. Don't be afraid to branch out. Or stay on the ship and enjoy no crowds.