Haven letter

Good evening and thank you for your help.

I have seen that some people have written letters to give to their butler detailing what they wish done with their rooms. I think that is a great idea, makes their life easier and ours! Should I just email the letter to the email address listed norwegianconciergedesk@ncl.com or is this something that is usually delivered in a different way? 

Thanks! 

thumbnail_IMG_7394.jpg

8 minutes ago, Taishartrueblood said:

I have seen that some people have written letters to give to their butler detailing what they wish done with their rooms. I think that is a great idea, makes their life easier and ours! Should I just email the letter to the email address listed norwegianconciergedesk@ncl.com or is this something that is usually delivered in a different way? 

Thanks! 

thumbnail_IMG_7394.jpg

No!

I doubt it would get to the Butler.

What we do is when we first see the Butler after we've boarded, we hand the letter to him personally.

We also tell him that we know this afternoon is a bit crazy and they are busy, so we tell them it's some background about us, and they can read it later.

They usually return later that day/evening or the next morning, with the letter and thanks, and sometimes a pencil so they can write down the answers to a few questions.

We really think it makes the experience better for all of us.
The Butlers want to do a good job, no surprise, but they aren't mind-readers.

So we include comments about our preferences during the cruise, and emphasize anything important such as food allergies, etc.

GC

You can speak with the butler when you get on board.  Dont email a list of requests to a butler before you board.  On embarkation day you will discover who your butler is and you can tell him/her your requests and give a list.  Personally I don't like written lists.  They do this for a living and will remember what you want.  Over planning can sometimes backfire and I learned this the hard way.  I once requested a butler that could also speak Spanish since my inlaws were from Argentina.  All that did was create a headache for me on embarkation day because everything was sent to my room in Spanish.  I had to correct that once on board and I learned a lesson not to pre-plan so much.

We provided a written letter to our butler and he was very appreciative of the letter. Well, he said "thank you, this is very helpful." Perhaps he was just trying to be kind. Anyway, we didn't provide a tip at the time, but did receive almost everything we requested from him. 

I highly recommend the letter as I'm the kind of person that would forget my requests and have to bother the butler incessantly to tell him new requests that I had just remembered. 

On 6/5/2022 at 11:15 PM, Taishartrueblood said:

Thanks! 

thumbnail_IMG_7394.jpg

That email address goes to an off shore call center and won’t get to your butler. 

If you want excellent service, you should talk (not write or text or email) your butler and build a rapport with them. Let them understand exactly want you want and when you want it. 

Long flowery letters which try to provide your life history and background on why you are asking for something will get lost in translation, literally. Be very clear and direct on what you want. Leave no doubt as to what you are asking. Leave no room for translation or interpretation. 

• Like 5

Neither a letter nor a pre-service tip are necessary.  On every NCL cruise, our butler has come to our cabin on the first day of the cruise to introduce themselves, meet us and talk about how they can support us and meet our needs.

• Like 4

I've never handed a butler a letter on arriving in my suite, BUT what I have done is corresponded with the "pre-concierge" staff via email regarding preferences and needs. Often, it's been helpful but sometimes it's been useless, so YMMV.

Like someone earlier in the thread, I try not to overplan, usually a phone call or a face to face "oh, can you....?" gets you what you need quickly and easily. I love "real" cream from a pitcher instead of those stupid plastic cup things for my morning coffee  in the room and I ask to have some in the fridge, that's pretty much my biggest ask. 

Five out of five butlers, and four out of five concierges on the cruises I've taken in a suite have been beyond outstanding. They've checked in with us, they've spoiled us, they've been funny, kind, concerned, diligent and worked their butts off. I do try not to overburden the butlers with a multitude of requests. It's their job to take care of Haven guests but I feel as though that doesn't mean I should rack my brain for as many things as possible to ask for. I've seen thread titles on Cruise Critic like "what can I make my butler do for me?" that give me an uncomfortable feeling.

I don't write a letter. But I do put together a short list (4-6 items). They have always seemed appreciative and it has worked. We certainly don't tip in advance. Just not necessary and it feels weird. (But if you want to, for sure do so.) We don't have much in the way of special requests beyond emptying the fridge and our choice of daily snacks. Oh, and take away the fruit bowl please--take it for yourself and enjoy! (We always bring a bag of those mini candy bar assortments and leave some each day for the steward and butler. As well as certain bartenders. The staff LOVES sweets, in my experience.)

We were in the Garden Villa on the Dawn in March. We wrote our butler a letter (not long and flowery) detailing our likes, dislikes, and plans for the cruise. He told us over and over again how much he liked it and how helpful it was to him.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, FLcruisergrl said:

We were in the Garden Villa on the Dawn in March. We wrote our butler a letter (not long and flowery) detailing our likes, dislikes, and plans for the cruise. He told us over and over again how much he liked it and how helpful it was to him.

For personal use I have a spreadsheet with day by day listings of restaurant reservations, excursions, get togethers, etc. printed out. I *think* our butlers have noticed that sitting on the desk and taken note of our plans. 

On 6/8/2022 at 11:20 AM, Shellbelle28 said:

For personal use I have a spreadsheet with day by day listings of restaurant reservations, excursions, get togethers, etc. printed out. I *think* our butlers have noticed that sitting on the desk and taken note of our plans. 

I do this too.  My DW thinks I plan too much.  I think I plan too little.  

• Like 1