Any need for bottoms other than shorts?

Since before COVID I generally wear shorts; since COVID itself they have been athleisurewear shorts.  

Is there any need on board to bring jeans, suit pants, etc.?  Specifically, will I be turned away or prevented from entering any venue because of dress code or safety?

I believe the answer to at least the former is "no," but insight welcome.  We are on the Symphony.

Thanks!

Edited by baelor

There are some onboard activities, such as ice-skating on the ships that have it, that require you to wear long trousers. Doesn't need to be anything fancy. Sweats or jeans will do just fine.

Just now, FionaMG said:

There are some onboard activities, such as ice-skating on the ships that have it, that require you to wear long trousers

Good to know--we are on Symphony and one of our group wants to skate, so I will pack a pair of long pants/sweats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

You might have difficulty in the specialty restaurants.

Currently sitting in Giovanni’s for dinner on Odyssey. It’s formal night. There’s a girl in here with cutoff shorts. Several men in jeans. One dude in a Hawaiian shirt. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, baelor said:

Since before COVID I generally wear shorts; since COVID itself they have been athleisurewear shorts.  

Is there any need on board to bring jeans, suit pants, etc.?  Specifically, will I be turned away or prevented from entering any venue because of dress code or safety?

I believe the answer to at least the former is "no," but insight welcome.  We are on the Symphony.

Thanks!

It can get pretty cold in Studio B for the ice shows.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

It can get pretty cold in Studio B for the ice shows.

I am sure, but I wear shorts even when it is below freezing outside.  I will bring a pair of jeans or sweats. 

6 minutes ago, Tlbecker1 said:

COViD hasn’t changed the dress code on cruises.  I personally would not feel comfortable wearing shorts to a 5 star restaurant, so for me I wouldn’t do it.  

Which part of this thread was about eating in a 5-star restaurant?

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, baelor said:

I am sure, but I wear shorts even when it is below freezing outside.  I will bring a pair of jeans or sweats. 

I understand, but you probably aren't sitting still for an hour when it's freezing.

A couple of shows actually snow on you🥶

23 minutes ago, orville99 said:

They ask for smart casual, not barely north of naked.

OP was not asking what they ask for but what they enforce.  That is why I phrased the question as I did.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tlbecker1 said:

I personally would not feel comfortable wearing shorts to a 5 star restaurant, so for me I wouldn’t do it.

I have worn suits to Michelin-star restaurants.  I have worn jeans to a nice steakhouse that generally runs $300-400 per person after tax and tip and seen shorts in it.  I could be very surprised, but my guess is that nothing on board comes close to a "5 star" (or, more precisely, 3-Michelin star) restaurant.

Obviously no one can stop anyone from offering their irrelevant opinions, but OP was asking about what the enforceable policy on board is, not for the CC community's hot takes on the formality of clothing.

This forum seems to struggle with precision in responses.

Edited by baelor
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tlbecker1 said:

COViD hasn’t changed the dress code on cruises.  I personally would not feel comfortable wearing shorts to a 5 star restaurant, so for me I wouldn’t do it.  

I agree, I wouldn’t wear shorts to a 5 star restaurant, however even the specialty restaurants on Royal Caribbean are even close to a 5 star restaurant.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, baelor said:

OP was not asking what they ask for but what they enforce.  That is why I phrased the question as I did.

UHHH...you ARE the OP. If you want to dress like you are on your way to a tractor pull, go for it, but why bother asking your original question in the first place. It is obvious you aren't going to pay any attention to what anyone else says anyway.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, orville99 said:

UHHH...you ARE the OP. If you want to dress like you are on your way to a tractor pull, go for it, but why bother asking your original question in the first place.

Because I wanted answers to my OP as phrased.  Here it is:  "Specifically, will I be turned away or prevented from entering any venue because of dress code or safety?"

I was asking specifically about where I will be disallowed from wearing shorts, not for randos' unsolicited opinions on the propriety of shorts.  

Also, I have no idea what a tractor pull is, but I imagine it is something casual.

Edited by baelor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, baelor said:

Because I wanted answers to my OP as phrased.  Here it is:  "Specifically, will I be turned away or prevented from entering any venue because of dress code or safety?"

I was asking specifically about where I will be disallowed from wearing shorts, not for randos' unsolicited opinions on the propriety of shorts.  

Also, I have no idea what a tractor pull is, but I imagine it is something casual.

You got your answer in my post #2 but we will go on and on and on

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Newcruiser215 said:

Why does everything turn into an argument on here? We are talking about vacation right?! 

I agree. People ask a question but along with one or two factual responses they get lots of opinions which weren’t asked for. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1