Question about NCL's process of verifying documents

thedogman67

I have a cruise with NCL coming up in a few months, and as I am doing research and planning, I have heard that NCL does not bother to scan test results or vaccine cards to verify their authenticity. This has me concerned and I am considering canceling the cruise. Does anyone know what their process is? I know that most covid tests will have a QR code- do they truly not scan the QR code to verify the validity of the tests? I'm more concerned about the tests, of course being vaccinated is important but I understand it may be more difficult to verify those as not all are scannable... Please let me know if anyone knows NCL's process of verifying test results and vaccine cards, and please don't tell me not to cruise if I am worried as I am already thinking I may have to do that. I just would like to be certain before cancelling anything. Thank you 🙂

The main problem on your thinking is that not every test has a QR code.I don't know what you are looking for. I don't care what kind of verification is used, that test was only for that minute. Two days later, you can be positive and not even know it.

• Like 2

There is no scanning of documents as far as I've seen (5 cruises post shutdown).  So no real verification, just up to the person doing the check in.  And yes, test results could be faked and I'm sure some probably are - but testing at the port isn't a popular option so it is what it is.

The last NCL cruise we took we had to scan in the Vaccination cards but the testing was done at the pier (August 2021).  No idea what they require with the newer 21 day check in rules.

Princess (last month) was similar, Vaccination docs scanned in and we just had to show the negative COVID paperwork and Vaccination cards to the check in person.  (To be honest, she really didn't pay that much attention to what was on the page test page).

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

Two days later, you can be positive and not even know it.

TWO?  Try ONE.  Had someone in my office last week that did a test prior to coming in, to be safe and maybe help us to feel comfortable, it was negative.  The following day he was due to come back, felt some allergy-type symptoms and figured he'd test to be  sure and sure enough it was positive.  Fortunately we were both masked the whole time he was there and we never spent much time in close proximity - generally 10+ feet apart.

In addition to not scanning . . . I have a valid negative test but I did not have to prove it was me in any way when I took the test.  I could have had any other female take the test for me.  (I didn't - took the test myself, but . . . )

To clarify, NCL does not have any process or procedure to verify vaccine cards.  They do require a third party(or proctored) negative test, you cannot use a self test.

Edited by davencl

49 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

In addition to not scanning . . . I have a valid negative test but I did not have to prove it was me in any way when I took the test.  I could have had any other female take the test for me.  (I didn't - took the test myself, but . . . )

That's a great point.  CVS had my insurance information on file and didn't ask for any ID.  I kind of like that, because they are healthcare providers, not amateur Covid police.

• Like 1

Boarding the Breakaway last month we showed our passports, vaccine cards and negative covid test all together.  She checked the names on our vaccines cards and our negative covid tests with our passports to make sure they matched.

7 hours ago, thedogman67 said:

I have a cruise with NCL coming up in a few months, and as I am doing research and planning, I have heard that NCL does not bother to scan test results or vaccine cards to verify their authenticity. This has me concerned and I am considering canceling the cruise. Does anyone know what their process is? I know that most covid tests will have a QR code- do they truly not scan the QR code to verify the validity of the tests? I'm more concerned about the tests, of course being vaccinated is important but I understand it may be more difficult to verify those as not all are scannable... Please let me know if anyone knows NCL's process of verifying test results and vaccine cards, and please don't tell me not to cruise if I am worried as I am already thinking I may have to do that. I just would like to be certain before cancelling anything. Thank you 🙂

We have sailed on multiple cruise lines and taken 3 cruises in the past 3 months. No one "scans" test results. We use the NCL and Royal Caribbean recommended eMed home test and it does not have a QR code. Just a printed report. 

Your test results and vaccine card is compared against your ID. Because of international privacy laws, NCL does not retain your vaccine card like other cruise lines. 

There is no reason that the lack of "scanning" should prevent you from cruising. Because of the pre-cruise testing, it is a lot safer than being in an airport or on a plane. 

I don't know of any line that checks the paperwork properly.

Done 3 different lines including NCL.

They look for name,  dates of vaccine, date of test + negative, not even sure they check it was observed.

In Europe vaccine records have scannable bar/QR codes that verify the documents through an app.

Even a little cafe in Greece was more thorough than the cruise lines have been.

(Known as the green pass in Europe)

Both vaccine records and test results  are very easy to produce for those that way inclined.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DorothyB said:

LOL, I remember once an NFL player failed his drug test even though there were no positves; it seems that the blood test showed that he was pregnant!

I cruised on the Breakaway out of New Orleans in March, they checked ID, vaccine card and Negative test and ensured it was done within 48 hours. The person in front of us got there's down outside the 48 hour window and was instructed to get another test at the terminal or they could not board. So i do believe they are actually verifying documents. 

Edited by wolft927
  • Like 1

The whole "test within 72 hours" is pretty much arbitrary and silly, so why put so much credence in it?  I could go get a negative test then invite every person in my neighborhood to sneeze on my face.  Then two days later head to the pier, show my negative test, and board the ship.  Boy, that negative test sure was important!  🤔

Only you can decide what is an acceptable risk for you.  

• Like 2

You need a printed negative COVID test sheet showing the date of the test, the results of that test, who the test was performed by, the person who took the test, where the test was administered and the type of test administered.

The original CDC (for U.S. passengers) vaccination card also needs to be shown.  Names must match your passport, your COVID test report and the name on the COVID vaccine card.  As an aside, anyone presenting a forged or counterfeit CDC Vaccination card is a felony and  Federal offense.  Anyone willing to take that chance just to board a cruise ship probably isn't smart enough to do a good job of the forgery/counterfeit and would be easily caught.

And, as always, your passport must be presented.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

The original CDC (for U.S. passengers) vaccination card also needs to be shown.

A good general guideline, but if your state has a vaccine passport app (such as my state with the Excelsior Pass), that can also be shown.  I made sure to show them exactly what it was and they accepted it.

4 hours ago, wolft927 said:

I cruised on the Breakaway out of New Orleans in March, they checked ID, vaccine card and Negative test and ensured it was done within 48 hours. The person in front of us got there's down outside the 48 hour window and was instructed to get another test at the terminal or they could not board. So i do believe they are actually verifying documents. 

They are verifying that the information on the documents meets the criteria and has the required information.  They do not verify that the documents aren't forged.  Big difference, and seems to be the concern of the OP.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

ou need a printed negative COVID test sheet showing the date of the test, the results of that test, who the test was performed by, the person who took the test, where the test was administered and the type of test administered.

The original CDC (for U.S. passengers) vaccination card also needs to be shown.

Are you sure that they won't accept an electronic copy of both?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

ou need a printed negative COVID test sheet showing the date of the test, the results of that test, who the test was performed by, the person who took the test, where the test was administered and the type of test administered.

An electronic version of the test is acceptable as well. At least it was in April when we booked. We received our results on Saturday, cruise was on Sunday. We had nowhere to print the documents so just showed it from our email. As to the rest of your requirements, yes that is all correct.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Are you sure that they won't accept an electronic copy of both?

Just telling what they asked of me on my last NLC cruise.  That said, it was last September/October.

Just looked it up for my upcoming cruise in July.  They do accept digital proof.  I’ll assume that means an email from the test administrator from one of the proctored “tele-testers”.

This is what NCL sent me for “tele-testers”.  They check…

1.  Name on the test matches the Passport

2.  Result is identified plainly as “negative”

3.  Test is PCR or Antigen

4.  Provider, laboratory, date of test, healthcare provider’s Platform and their certification ID

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

The original CDC (for U.S. passengers) vaccination card also needs to be shown.  Names must match your passport, your COVID test report and the name on the COVID vaccine card.  As an aside, anyone presenting a forged or counterfeit CDC Vaccination card is a felony and  Federal offense.  Anyone willing to take that chance just to board a cruise ship probably isn't smart enough to do a good job of the forgery/counterfeit and would be easily caught.

And, as always, your passport must be presented.

Presenting forged Covid test results are also offenses that have substantial fines. $2400 in Bahamas, $6000+ in Bermuda, etc.

• Like 1

If the OPs intent is to gauge the risk of sailing on the cruise ship, as a thought exercise, let say 100% of people present genuine vaccination cards and test results. Even so, there will still be people who are infected and test negative and they will become infectious in the days following. Take precautions according to your risk tolerance.

Edited by kylenyc
  • Like 1