Nickels and Dimes - Room Service Delivery Charge? Really?!

kmtoner

6 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Aren't beverages always charged separately even if you have a drink package included? In that case ordering a coke would be kind of stupid.

Honestly, I don't know how they are charged because I've never ordered a beverage through room service.  Regardless, no one ever said it wasn't stupid. 😉

1 hour ago, ChucktownSteve said:

All the cruise lines you mentioned are mass market. Celebrity marketing claims to be luxury.  Luxury lines don't charge for room service delivery.  Do they?

Celebrity may be on the high end of luxury, but it's mass market.  One difference between Celebrity and at least some of the mass market lines is that they only charge for late night delivery.  I'm pretty sure that RC and Carnival charge for delivery of anything other than breakfast.  I don't know about the other lines, and I'm not going to take the time to look into it.

14 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Honestly, I don't know how they are charged because I've never ordered a beverage through room service.  Regardless, no one ever said it wasn't stupid. 😉

Celebrity may be on the high end of luxury, but it's mass market.  One difference between Celebrity and at least some of the mass market lines is that they only charge for late night delivery.  I'm pretty sure that RC and Carnival charge for delivery of anything other than breakfast.  I don't know about the other lines, and I'm not going to take the time to look into it.

Yes I believe Royal charges all day for RS, and since nothing is included, even in their lower level suites they have become the poster child for nickel an diming for a cruise. We reluctantly booked a summer cruise on the RCL Allure in a Grand Suite from Galveston for next June to take our granddaughter with us. I was appalled at how little was included in the Grand Suite compared to the Retreat. When Celebrity announced the Equinox would sail year round from FLL, we canceled the RCL cruise and booked a Sky Suite for the 3 of us on the Equinox. We lost our RCL no refundable deposit  of $750 but we would have hated that Allure cruise and even with losing the deposit we are way ahead in benefits and amenities.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DCPIV said:

I'm pretty sure that RC and Carnival charge for delivery of anything other than breakfast.  I don't know about the other lines, and I'm not going to take the time to look into it.

Your statement is true for Royal but NOT TRUE for Carnival.  They have a la carte items that are always charged for, and all items are charged a la carte between 11 PM and 6 AM.  But outside of those hours and those items, Carnival's room service is free (don't forget to tip, of course).

Having been on Princess recently, I'll briefly note their room service policy.  Some items are a la carte, but most are free.  I don't think there's any delivery fee and I don't think prices adjust in the off hours.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Celebrity is definitely not luxury segment and I've never seen them advertise themselves like that.

Isn't that what advertising is all about?  Get those customers by using all the techniques possible.  However, I do enjoy Celebrity.

5 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Your statement is true for Royal but NOT TRUE for Carnival.  They have a la carte items that are always charged for, and all items are charged a la carte between 11 PM and 6 AM.  But outside of those hours and those items, Carnival's room service is free (don't forget to tip, of course).

Having been on Princess recently, I'll briefly note their room service policy.  Some items are a la carte, but most are free.  I don't think there's any delivery fee and I don't think prices adjust in the off hours.

According to this recent thread with menus posted, Carnival does charge for certain items even during the day. It’s shown on the menu.

RCI does not charge a delivery fee for Continental breakfast items but for any hot breakfast items or remaining room service menu there is a $7.95 delivery fee + 18% gratuity added. The fee is per order regardless of how many items ordered. Just left an RCI ship this morning. 

6 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Yes I believe Royal charges all day for RS, and since nothing is included, even in their lower level suites they have become the poster child for nickel an diming for a cruise. We reluctantly booked a summer cruise on the RCL Allure in a Grand Suite from Galveston for next June to take our granddaughter with us. I was appalled at how little was included in the Grand Suite compared to the Retreat. When Celebrity announced the Equinox would sail year round from FLL, we canceled the RCL cruise and booked a Sky Suite for the 3 of us on the Equinox. We lost our RCL no refundable deposit  of $750 but we would have hated that Allure cruise and even with losing the deposit we are way ahead in benefits and amenities.

Unless you book Star suite class on RCI the perks are not that great. The highest that we book on RCI is a Junior suite. We still enjoy RCI but we now plan to purchase the drink package and specialty dining and have only been booking the shorter cruises close to home so that we can drive. For longer cruises it’s X.

23 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

According to this recent thread with menus posted, Carnival does charge for certain items even during the day. It’s shown on the menu.

That's what I said:

6 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I'm pretty sure that RC and Carnival charge for delivery of anything other than breakfast.  I don't know about the other lines, and I'm not going to take the time to look into it.

5 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I apologize for any confusion and apologize for the diversion.

10 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

All the cruise lines you mentioned are mass market. Celebrity marketing claims to be luxury.  Luxury lines don't charge for room service delivery.  Do they?

Celebrity is not a luxury line.  However, i wouldn't expect that kind of abusive behavior from passengers who pay that kind of money.

9 hours ago, the penguins said:

Another X slogan " modern luxury lives here".

you can not quantify luxury. To some people, a row boat where someone gives you a burger would be luxury. Posters here are somewhat spoiled and jaded as they cruise frequently (myself included).

11 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Non-luxury line Windstar does not charge for room service. 

15 minutes ago, kmtoner said:

Windstar doesn't have 3,000+ passengers on each sailing. You can not compare the two. 

It's just ridiculous to complain abut less than $5 for very late night room service.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

The fee was rolled out back in 2015.

You have a better memory than I, but in my defense we rarely order room service.  I was trying to remember when the late night delivery fee was introduced.  It certainly has been in place for some time.  

A component of the cruise business model is revenue generated from sources beyond the cruise passenger fee (captive audience so makes business sense to seek passenger more goods and services to increase revenue).

I always find it amusing that no matter the amount of the fee charged the cruise lines always couch it as a “nominal” fee. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

You have a better memory than I, but in my defense we rarely order room service.  I was trying to remember when the late night delivery fee was introduced.  It certainly has been in place for some time.  

I was just getting into cruising in 2015 and that was the year of several changes at X. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20150921202949/http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6537

13 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Windstar doesn't have 3,000+ passengers on each sailing. You can not compare the two. 

It's just ridiculous to complain abut less than $5 for very late night room service.

Very true. It is certainly more challenging to staff for what could be large demand each evening on a big ship. However, I wouldn't say that the size of a ship/hotel/resort will be a perfect predictor about these and some other fees. Travel businesses have different approaches. For example, there is no extra charge for room service or premium liquors at a big Sandals resort. But a little Four Seasons will inevitably charge and also tack on a daily resort fee. Mind you, I'm not trying to complain, only to understand. (I cannot imagine making a late night food or drink order.) But I do want to know what to expect in the way of potential extra charges on my first "Always Included"/"All Included"/"Take Care of Everything" Celebrity cruise. That is one of the beauties of Cruise Critic. All the answers are here.

15 hours ago, kmtoner said:

At the prices they charge they look and price like a more premium luxury cruise line.

Edited by terrydtx

20 hours ago, IDL said:

A component of the cruise business model is revenue generated from sources beyond the cruise passenger fee (captive audience so makes business sense to seek passenger more goods and services to increase revenue).

I always find it amusing that no matter the amount of the fee charged the cruise lines always couch it as a “nominal” fee. 

Honestly, anything less than $20 would, in my opinion, be a nominal or minimal fee.

• Like 1

If you want to experience real nickel and diming, sail on HAL. Our last HAL cruise will be this August on a 14 day Greek cruise. After looking at the app for our cruise in the MDR, there are addon charges for a Shrimp cocktail ($8.50) everyday and a lobster tail ($10) on the Gala night it is offered. Note Celebrity does not charge for either, yet. The Standard drink package is capped at $11 per drink, but if you order any drink over $11 you will pay the FULL price not the difference in cost like Celebrity. HAL has a very limited room service menu and they charge addons for many items that are free on Celebrity like a hamburger or hot dog.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, mfs2k said:

Instead of late night room service, I’d rather have a hot slice of pizza on deck at midnight. 

Actually, I’d rather be asleep at midnight. Lol

I can't remember the last time I was still up at midnight on any cruise.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Honestly, anything less than $20 would, in my opinion, be a nominal or minimal fee.

My point is everyone can decide what fees make sense for them and what is nominal or not as I don’t need the cruise to make that determination (i.e. just state the fee).  As long time cruises may recall when specialty restaurant fees started they were originally couched as nominal as well in all their promotional and marketing material. 

• Like 1

They started the fee to attempt to curb abuse.

My son and DIL ended up paying it on Millie a couple of weeks ago.  She was horribly sea sick (and wouldn’t listen to advice) and woke up about 3am and wanted pizza.  They  ordered pizza and paid the fee.  Son just was glad they had plenty of OBC to cover it. I was glad I had gotten them an indulge package. 🙂