CDC Ending US Entry COVID Test

Focused1

2 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Now would be a great time to follow up this decision with removing testing requirements for getting on cruise ships.

Interesting concept. 

Is the requirement to test before boarding in Europe there because of the CDC rule or a EU rule?

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Now would be a great time to follow up this decision with removing testing requirements for getting on cruise ships.

I think I have to agree. After getting stuck in Australia for 11 extra days for a totally asymptomatic Covid infection, I would be very comfortable with a vax+boost requirement for everyone onboard and call it good. This testing is really a crap shoot. The vaccines are great for preventing and/or minimizing illness but low-level infections are an entirely different animal. Not having to take a test would be a huge stress relief. 

• Like 5

I agree with MRLevin. No testing requirements will be great. Too much anxiety if you have to worry about testing. People who are vaccinated and boosted can get Covid so requirement a booster makes no sense. I believe it is the cruise line the ones requiring the pre-cruise test. Has nothing to do with CDC or countries.

Edited by forevertravel
made mistake
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, forevertravel said:

I agree with MRLevin. No testing requirements will be great. Too much anxiety if you have to worry about testing. People who are vaccinated and boosted can get Covid so requirement a booster makes no sense. I believe it is the cruise line the ones requiring the pre-cruise test. Has nothing to do with CDC or countries.

Actually, Canada requires a negative pre-embarkation Covid test in order to board a cruise ship.  This is a government regulation.

19 hours ago, forevertravel said:

I spent some time on Google yesterday and found that not only does the EU’s version of the CDC have pre-embarkation testing rules but also individual countries. 

I’m not optimistic but hopeful that the EU and Denmark relax requirements between now and July 8. 

The pre-embarkation testing rules changed what we normally do pre-cruise.  Instead of going a few days early, we are flying in the day of embarkation.  I want a negative covid test in hand before we leave the USA.  I didn't want to get to Europe then test, find out I'm positive,  not get on the ship and be stuck.

Unfortunately everything I've read it doesn't sound like the requirement is changing anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Go9ersjrh said:

The pre-embarkation testing rules changed what we normally do pre-cruise.  Instead of going a few days early, we are flying in the day of embarkation.  I want a negative covid test in hand before we leave the USA.  I didn't want to get to Europe then test, find out I'm positive,  not get on the ship and be stuck.

Unfortunately everything I've read it doesn't sound like the requirement is changing anytime soon.

You can test 3 days before embarkation and then fly to Europe next day so get in a day before embarkation.

11 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

You can test 3 days before embarkation and then fly to Europe next day so get in a day before embarkation.

We just did this. Tested 6/3 at noon. Flew to Barcelona later that day. Sailed 6/6. So relieved not to have to test to fly home!

On 6/10/2022 at 12:46 PM, mrlevin said:

+1

Just returned from a beautiful 2 week vacation in Austria & Germany.  Top hotels, Michelin starred restaurants every night with "Connoisseur"  level wines, private tours & cars, NO tests (except to re-enter the US), NO masks, NO quarantines all at a 20-30% discount to luxury cruise prices.  Only proof of vaccination & booster to enter the country necessary.

When the only remaining Covid restriction for cruising is showing proof of vaccination & a booster we'll start booking cruises again.

36 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

+1

Just returned from a beautiful 2 week vacation in Austria & Germany.  Top hotels, Michelin starred restaurants every night with "Connoisseur"  level wines, private tours & cars, NO tests (except to re-enter the US), NO masks, NO quarantines all at a 20-30% discount to luxury cruise prices.  Only proof of vaccination & booster to enter the country necessary.

When the only remaining Covid restriction for cruising is showing proof of vaccination & a booster we'll start booking cruises again.

Sounds like a winner of a trip. We would do that in a heart beat if I could still handle the long haul flights. That is the way we mostly traveled  pre retirement mixed with shorter cruises. Since retirement we were doing longer cruises mixed with shorter land trips.

We are planning to use some FCC credits in Dec, before they are lost, on a round trip out of Miami depending on Covid restrictions. We want to cruise again but not with all the testing and quarantine stress. Way too much money to have to deal with it. We don’t have a lot of $$ invested in the Dec cruise so we can cancel at the last minute. The FCC are from back in 2018 pre Covid.

We would rather travel in the US in the RV than play Russian roulette with Quarantine for Covid. Surely the cruise lines will force an end to these ever changing rules. Hope so anyway.

• Like 3

I will not chance it by flying anywhere out of the US. I don't play the lottery, gamble, or any other game of chance, and I'm sure not going to play a game of chance flying into or out of another country until all these pre and post covid regulations are a thing of the past. My risk tolerance is not that high. I'm already very leery that I just booked my first cruise (Regent Seven Seas) since this whole pandemic for March 2023 out of Miami. We are going to spend a few days in Miami first and I'm not looking forward to finding a drug store or sitting in a hotel room in front of a camera and poking my brains out with a swab in front of a camera and hoping that I don't show positive even though fully vaccinated, boosted, and recovered from covid after being jabbed 3 times. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cwn said:

Sounds like a winner of a trip. We would do that in a heart beat if I could still handle the long haul flights. That is the way we mostly traveled  pre retirement mixed with shorter cruises. Since retirement we were doing longer cruises mixed with shorter land trips.

We are planning to use some FCC credits in Dec, before they are lost, on a round trip out of Miami depending on Covid restrictions. We want to cruise again but not with all the testing and quarantine stress. Way too much money to have to deal with it. We don’t have a lot of $$ invested in the Dec cruise so we can cancel at the last minute. The FCC are from back in 2018 pre Covid.

We would rather travel in the US in the RV than play Russian roulette with Quarantine for Covid. Surely the cruise lines will force an end to these ever changing rules. Hope so anyway.

Agreed.  The elimination of the Covid test was a very welcome change, it makes travelling much less stressful but hurdles remain.  I appreciate you sharing your experience, I keep telling my wife we need to do these long haul trips while we can.  Good luck with that December cruise.  I'm guessing the cruise lines will be under pressure to eliminate or lighten  the restrictions.  Cruise stocks have gone down a good deal recently, many Wall St analysts are pointing to lower bookings as one of the factors.  There are quite a few people like us that feel the current restrictions and too burdensome and are looking for alternatives.

Every year these international flights get rougher but we're still hoping to do several international cruises in the upcoming years.   Cruising brings a lot to the table for us.  It allows us to see wider geographic areas and more diverse cultures that we would have difficulties navigating on our own given our age.  Another big advantage to cruising is you get on the ship and your are all set no transfers packing unpacking etc.  IMO the luxury cruise experience doesn't come close to the service, room quality and food (wine) at luxury hotels and top restaurants.  You pay a premium for the convenience, which is fine.

Looking forward to getting back once things lighten up.

Hope everyone above has safe and enjoyable travels.