Emerald Princess British Isles COVID.

majortom10

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Nonsense Princess have a company policy to protect passengers and staff and have a duty to do so. They should not have filled tenders at 4 ports to full capacity without insisting the wearing of masks. The Captain made announcement that compulsory wearing of masks inside unless drinking or eating and nobody is enforcing it.

I was on Emerald from 9 May and wearing of masks on tenders was near 100% and the theatre not much different. I'm surprised they simply not enforcing it only a couple of cruises later.

34 minutes ago, leck57 said:

I was on Emerald from 9 May and wearing of masks on tenders was near 100% and the theatre not much different. I'm surprised they simply not enforcing it only a couple of cruises later.

Nobody wore face masks until Captain announcement ands y have ignored it. Also on 4 tender ports only us and handful wore masks.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Nobody wore face masks until Captain announcement ands y have ignored it. Also on 4 tender ports only us and handful wore masks.

That's really quite surprising to me. On our cruise that started 9 May we were not expecting to wear masks but on check in we all received a letter stating that due to cases on the previous cruise, masks were required indoors except when eating and drinking, and at all times on the tenders. On our cruise it was well complied with and there were masks available at the tender boarding areas if you needed one. I know it can be more difficult to enforce mask wearing around the ship but I would have thought a no mask no tender rule would be quite easy.

22 hours ago, dockman said:

I am an emerald covid survivor....ruined my cruise.  Best of luck to all of you onboard...glad to hear the captain finally orders masks and people are actually following his orders.  He did not do this on my cruise and they hauled 7 busloads off at the end of the cruise for even more quarantine time post cruise.

I am frankly surprised that the media has not gotten hold of emerald covid stories to blast on the evening news....just what princess does NOT want or need.

I cancelled my cruise on Emerald once the restrictions were removed in the uK.

Since 7 bus loads of Covid positive passengers were put in hotels to quarantine, were they required to test negative to return to the US?  When was that?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dockman said:

He did not do this on my cruise and they hauled 7 busloads off at the end of the cruise for even more quarantine time post cruise.

I am frankly surprised that the media has not gotten hold of emerald covid stories to blast on the evening news....just what princess does NOT want or need.

Apologies, I picked this up elsewhere and was pointed here.

Can you explain the 7 bus loads 'more quarantine time post cruise' ? 

There's no quarantine requirements in the UK, you're free to get off the ship and do what you like if you test positive. Would I be correct in assuming these are passengers returning to the US /Canada who may need to test negative before returning. In which case if they're put in a hotel the guidance is basically not to mix for 5 days from the date of the test, although only guidance, unenforceable and mostly ignored.

Its just that your post sounds slightly alarmist (although I accept for those wanting to return home its a pain having to delay) but they won't be 'in quarantine'. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, leck57 said:

That's really quite surprising to me. On our cruise that started 9 May we were not expecting to wear masks but on check in we all received a letter stating that due to cases on the previous cruise, masks were required indoors except when eating and drinking, and at all times on the tenders. On our cruise it was well complied with and there were masks available at the tender boarding areas if you needed one. I know it can be more difficult to enforce mask wearing around the ship but I would have thought a no mask no tender rule would be quite easy.

We had the similar letter in our cabins on embarkation but said it was only recommended to wear masks in theatre and in tenders and on the whole was ignored. Masks were not available or handed out on tenders and I agree people should not have been allowed on without a mask. Princess have obviously dropped the ball and once again COVID has increased again and Princess have to take some responsibility for that. For the first time in over 50+ cruises cannot wait to get off this ship and have been looking forward to getting off for days.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

We had the similar letter in our cabins on embarkation but said it was only recommended to wear masks in theatre and in tenders and on the whole was ignored. Masks were not available or handed out on tenders and I agree people should not have been allowed on without a mask. Princess have obviously dropped the ball and once again COVID has increased again and Princess have to take some responsibility for that. For the first time in over 50+ cruises cannot wait to get off this ship and have been looking forward to getting off for days.

The similar letter said "required" and your letter said "recommended."  There is a difference.  If the signage or letters state "recommended" you should not expect people to be denied access to the tenders if they choose to not follow the recommendation.  

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, dog said:

I cancelled my cruise on Emerald once the restrictions were removed in the uK.

That's precisely why we booked. As soon as the UK decided it was time to get on with life we had flights to there booked as well as a cruise within days. Had a great time. 

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Keksie said:

The similar letter said "required" and your letter said "recommended."  There is a difference.  If the signage or letters state "recommended" you should not expect people to be denied access to the tenders if they choose to not follow the recommendation.  

That is why I am blaming Princess for the current situation because of their incompetence in handling it.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, leck57 said:

That's precisely why we booked. As soon as the UK decided it was time to get on with life we had flights to there booked as well as a cruise within days. Had a great time. 

My decision had other factors re: Covid with my nephew’s passing. 
we did cruise in May from Vancouver 4 day Discovery Princess, less then 50 percent capacity.

25 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

That is why I am blaming Princess for the current situation because of their incompetence in handling it.

I think by now people know that:

1. Covid is still a virus capable of spreading.

2. Covid can be spread when a contagious person is near another person.

Knowing the above it is up to each individual person to weigh the risks vs. rewards for different activities and decide whether to participate or not.  Going on a cruise when masks are recommended and then expecting the cruise line to make everyone mask is not the cruise line's incompetence.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 9:39 AM, dockman said:

I am an emerald covid survivor....ruined my cruise.  Best of luck to all of you onboard...glad to hear the captain finally orders masks and people are actually following his orders.  He did not do this on my cruise and they hauled 7 busloads off at the end of the cruise for even more quarantine time post cruise.

That is just crazy.

What now ... suites and elites will be requesting early departure quarantine bus?

For me, right now, the downside risk of having a problem, and the consequences are too much.

Don't bash me, others are free to make their own decision...

2 hours ago, doog442 said:

Apologies, I picked this up elsewhere and was pointed here.

Can you explain the 7 bus loads 'more quarantine time post cruise' ? 

There's no quarantine requirements in the UK, you're free to get off the ship and do what you like if you test positive. Would I be correct in assuming these are passengers returning to the US /Canada who may need to test negative before returning. In which case if they're put in a hotel the guidance is basically not to mix for 5 days from the date of the test, although only guidance, unenforceable and mostly ignored.

Its just that your post sounds slightly alarmist (although I accept for those wanting to return home its a pain having to delay) but they won't be 'in quarantine'. 

The problem was that passengers who first reported symptoms had to then wait 9 days to be cleared to fly to usa....u got a letter of recovery from princess medical staff giving you a day that u were fit to fly..mine was 9 days after first reporting symptoms evens though i tested negative on the ship 4 days before the end of the cruise....i guess i could have gone and gotten another negative test to show at airport but that did not seem to be in the cards..i tried to get princess to test me again on disembarkation and they refused...so lots of other people were hanging out in hotels that princess paid for waiting for their fit to fly day....and many of them were negative tested spouses

• Thanks 1

On 6/13/2022 at 6:55 AM, majortom10 said:

They aren't wearing masks last night in theatre for 10pm show about 40% were not wearing masks and many walking around the ship without masks.

Apparently we were not on the same Emerald. I am absolutely the mask policeman in my family and I can assure you I counted about 3 people wandering around or on tenders without masks. I said something to 2 of them. Now people who were seated in the dining room or bars and actively eating were not wearing them, but I even saw near 100 % compliance on the Lido deck in the buffet lines.  The only are I cannot vouch for is the theater, but I avoided that area once the onboard cases started to significantly increase. 

Just now, AZ Gurl said:

Apparently we were not on the same Emerald. I am absolutely the mask policeman in my family and I can assure you I counted about 3 people wandering around or on tenders without masks. I said something to 2 of them. Now people who were seated in the dining room or bars and actively eating were not wearing them, but I even saw near 100 % compliance on the Lido deck in the buffet lines.  The only are I cannot vouch for is the theater, but I avoided that area once the onboard cases started to significantly increase. 

Well the theatre at 10pm show with theatre company there was at least 40% who were not wearing masks. The tenders everyone we went on we wore masks and we were in the minority. We wore masks around the ship and in theatre from start of cruise and in lift night before last we got in lift as only people and as it went up the floors piled in and wife says there is recommendation that there should be only 6 maximum in lift when there was 9 in and some not wearing masks. One woman laughed and another sproute don about in Spain if you over load the lift it wont work. Wife said recommendation of 6 in lift is nothing to do with overloading it is to do with Covid and she said "oh I didnt know that". We, for the very first time ever on a cruise was glad to be getting off this morning and was looking forward to it for last few days. It will be a long time before I go on a Princess cruise again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZ Gurl said:

i would be deeply offended if you had approached me!! The crew okay. Another passenger enforcing this is offensive to me.

we wore our masks. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, majortom10 said:

We, for the very first time ever on a cruise was glad to be getting off this morning and was looking forward to it for last few days. It will be a long time before I go on a Princess cruise again.

I'm not sure that you should have cruised in the first place. Not wishing to sound harsh but your posts about this cruise just seemed to focus on Covid and the protocols, or lack of, in place (yes I know the thread is about Covid and Emerald) rather than having a good time. I was on the cruise two prior to this and mixed with many people of whom none were giving Covid a second thought.

You seemed concerned from the outset which makes me think cruising wasn't right for you right now. I'm sorry that you didn't have an enjoyable cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leck57 said:

I'm not sure that you should have cruised in the first place. Not wishing to sound harsh but your posts about this cruise just seemed to focus on Covid and the protocols, or lack of, in place (yes I know the thread is about Covid and Emerald) rather than having a good time. I was on the cruise two prior to this and mixed with many people of whom none were giving Covid a second thought.

You seemed concerned from the outset which makes me think cruising wasn't right for you right now. I'm sorry that you didn't have an enjoyable cruise.

I can assure you that there were many issues with this cruise but as the thread is titled "Emerald Princess British Isles COVID" and all my comments are about my cruise on Emerald Princess around British Isles and to do with COVID thought that was obviously what the thread was discussing. What do you suggest I should have talked about something nothing to do with Emerald Princess, the British Isles or COVID. Rather a nonsensical response by you as other issues should not be discussed on a thread about COVID. Other issues on this cruise, and there were many, a thread about COVID is not the right place to discuss as they were not about COVID.

Edited by majortom10

On the ship now.(in port so ashore)

As pointed out people can have very different experience depending on where they hang out and their timing at locations.

We avoid potential busy areas and it is fine so far but first days are often like that.

Easy early embarkation, on ship for 11:30 easy to manage your space as  terminal not busy no line more than 1 group check-in or security.

Not seeing many wearing masks.

Elevators do have mask and 6 max but does get ignored.

We have had to pass the odd one but the wait for the next is not long not in a hurry.

Anywhere we have been has been ok so far.

Shortline for dinner around 8pm seated in a few mins.

Good service and ok spaced tables in the area we were.

First night plenty of space in bars after 10pm when we finished dinner.

When the buffet got busy I heard they did try to get people to mask up terrible layout causes congestion.

Been a mix of served and self servicevwhen we have used buffet.

Will try to get pax count later today

Might waste 1/2 hour and do a deck walk to asses capacity, in our small area there is an empty cabin and a few solos.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, insidecabin said:

On the ship now.(in port so ashore)

As pointed out people can have very different experience depending on where they hang out and their timing at locations.

We avoid potential busy areas and it is fine so far but first days are often like that.

Easy early embarkation, on ship for 11:30 easy to manage your space as  terminal not busy no line more than 1 group check-in or security.

Not seeing many wearing masks.

Elevators do have mask and 6 max but does get ignored.

We have had to pass the odd one but the wait for the next is not long not in a hurry.

Anywhere we have been has been ok so far.

Shortline for dinner around 8pm seated in a few mins.

Good service and ok spaced tables in the area we were.

First night plenty of space in bars after 10pm when we finished dinner.

When the buffet got busy I heard they did try to get people to mask up terrible layout causes congestion.

Been a mix of served and self servicevwhen we have used buffet.

Will try to get pax count later today

Might waste 1/2 hour and do a deck walk to ******** capacity, in our small area there is an empty cabin and a few solos.

Can you confirm that masking has been made MANDATORY?  Not asking if people are doing it - just has the order changed from recommended to MANDATORY. Princess officials telling me that no ships other than the Alaska ships have mandatory masking.  I thought Emerald had made it mandatory.  Can you confirm?  Mandatory or recommended?

Not seen anything yet.

like many i have just glanced through the 6 pages of boarding information mostly how to use the medallion and app.

Nothing in the patter not even to say recommended.

We did get a letter today that says they don't have the tender capacity to provide an effective tender service at the 3 tender ports.