Princess and covid cases

floridababa

10 minutes ago, venussuz said:

Based on the addition of cabins on the 5th floor (Covid cabins were originally on 😎 and the ship then telling positive people to stay in their cabin (often with a cabin mate who tested negative - I was in that group and my niece roommate was able to sleep on her parent's sofa the last night), the number of people who were positive even before the mass testing of those continuing on the next leg was a good deal more than 40. My area, promenade deck art, had 5 rooms with tables outside the door by Saturday morning. Mine joined them the next day. 

Two to three hundred sounds right, based on the two full buses that left and the many who were left behind, waiting for transport to their Covid hotel. 

So could be at least 10% positive, which is a fair bit. 

8 hours ago, Level six said:

But when people are on a cruise with 4-5 sea days and they get covid on day 5 and beyond, where could they have gotten it if the incubation period is 2-4 days(with omicron)?  Being in the grocery store, a restaurant or places like that are no comparison to being on a ship for days on end.

I do agree that we can't really say where people got it most times, but on a ship there is no other place if there have only been sea days. 

I believe that people are getting sick while traveling to the cruise most likely airline travel.  They may have already tested negative for the cruise but then end up catching it on the way.  You may not test positive for a few days after getting covid.  It probably gets passed around while on the cruise. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, voljeep said:

5 days before cruise - self test

4 days before cruise - self test

3 days before cruise - self test

2 days before cruise - proctored test

1 day before cruise - proctored test

day of cruise - self test

day 1 - day 7 of cruise self test each day

all negative - 

limited contact with crew - just normal interaction

test  day after cruise - positive

blame Princess

I think I would amend your last statement to "blame a passenger on Princess"

I am pretty sure the cruise line itself really hopes there aren't any infections.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, latserrof said:

It's as simple as that.  Why do so many people not get it?

One reason is because as soon as you get off at a port stop, and then get back on again that pre-boarding test becomes irrelevant.

Maybe they need to require a new test every time people come back on board after a port stop, including ship excursions.  If you prove positive they get your luggage from the room and disembark you.  I guess that might cut the infection rate.

Definitely kill the cruise industry, but - hey - at least we wouldn’t catch covid on a ship.

25 minutes ago, latserrof said:

It's as simple as that.  Why do so many people not get it?

Most are vaccinated, which depending upon time since last shot still has a 40% efficacy against infection if within 6 month.  That provided quite a chunk of those that will not get it.  After it comes down to numbers. Only a few likely make it onboard  During a 7 day crews only about 2 generations. so for each case that is on board the spread on a vaccinated but not masked ship would predict on average about 30 to 40 cases for every infectious person boarded.  Maybe higher or lower depending upon passenger density, weather, number of sea days, etc  Basically how much time is spent indoor in public intermixing with other passengers 

13 minutes ago, nijh said:

One reason is because as soon as you get off at a port stop, and then get back on again that pre-boarding test becomes irrelevant.

Maybe they need to require a new test every time people come back on board after a port stop, including ship excursions.  If you prove positive they get your luggage from the room and disembark you.  I guess that might cut the infection rate.

Definitely kill the cruise industry, but - hey - at least we wouldn’t catch covid on a ship.

Would make very little difference.

It all comes down to the nature of the viruses, the quality of tests and vaccines, the effectiveness of various protective measures, the nature of the environment, and the incidence rate in a given population.

It all can be modeled.

The cruise lines can deal with some cases, but not a large number, or real serious cases.  So they are trying to find a sweet spot in balancing protective measures and cases. With a lot being variables that they only have limited ability to influence.

30 minutes ago, nijh said:

Not at all.

It may be irrelevant to you, but not to Princess. By pre-cruise testing,  Princess has already eliminated some Covid-positive people, which helps it reach its goal of having the fewest possible Covid-positive passengers during the cruise.  Sure, some passengers will likely get the virus along the way -- from other passengers, from crew, from shorex. But the fewer Covid-positives it allows to board, the fewer it will have to deal with along the way.

It's not about you, it's about the numbers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, nijh said:

I guess you need to test every time you go to the grocery or walk down the street at home. Your comment really makes no sense. I am hoping you are being sarcastic 

It's not just cruises.  We just did a 8-day bus tour here in the US.  Everyone had to show proof of vaccination.  44 people.  Several wore masks but they weren't required on the bus or any of the venues we went to.  Seven included meals were self-service buffets.  By the end of the tour, there was much coughing on the bus.  And yes, we came home and tested positive.  Be interesting to compare when we take our Princess cruise in August.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Kansas Gal said:

It's not just cruises.  We just did a 8-day bus tour here in the US.  Everyone had to show proof of vaccination.  44 people.  Several wore masks but they weren't required on the bus or any of the venues we went to.  Seven included meals were self-service buffets.  By the end of the tour, there was much coughing on the bus.  And yes, we came home and tested positive.  Be interesting to compare when we take our Princess cruise in August.

I would rather take my chances on a huge cruise ship than (I assume) hours and hours on a bus!

I hope you enjoy your cruise and you should be well protected having just had Covid. 

• Like 3

The Covid virus is here to stay.  It has found a home to mutate and transmit successfully.  I do care what Princess does to try to provide an environment that is initially healthy when we board.  After that, it is up to the passengers to take care of themselves.  As far as i can tell, the virus is not smart enough to pick and choose its next host.  It is just going to look for the easiest path.  

We are all adults and should act responsibly.  A little aloha spirit will go a long way.  Look out for yourself AND others.  Too much "not my Kuleana" (responsibility) seems to be the mantra of the day.

• Like 15

25 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The Covid virus is here to stay.  It has found a home to mutate and transmit successfully.  I do care what Princess does to try to provide an environment that is initially healthy when we board.  After that, it is up to the passengers to take care of themselves.  As far as i can tell, the virus is not smart enough to pick and choose its next host.  It is just going to look for the easiest path.  

We are all adults and should act responsibly.  A little aloha spirit will go a long way.  Look out for yourself AND others.  Too much "not my Kuleana" (responsibility) seems to be the mantra of the day.

THANK YOU!!!!! 💜

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Ya sure you don't work for Princess 🙂 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Absolutely agree with you.  It appears that the risk of catching Covid is going to here for quite a while where ever we go or whatever we do.  It's a matter of each individual's risk tolerance.  All we can do is be responsible for ourselves and respect everyone else's decisions for what is best for them.  If I wasn't comfortable with the environment on a ship and wasn't willing to accept that the rules will probably keep changing, I wouldn't book a cruise until I was comfortable.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SmedonSeas said:

Ya sure you don't work for Princess 🙂 

I can assure you that I do not work for Princess.  But I probably know a lot more than some of their call center agents.  (Most long time posters are also in this elite group.). As i have told my TA....I could "do all of my own bookings" but why should I?  I love that she is more knowledgeable than I.  Princess could not pay me enough to de-escalate even one angry passenger.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, memoak said:

I guess you need to test every time you go to the grocery or walk down the street at home. Your comment really makes no sense. I am hoping you are being sarcastic 

Yeah - I’m being sarcastic.  As many have said, we just need to get on with life now.  

If you don’t want the risk don’t do the thing.  That goes for everything including getting on a ship or crossing the street.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, memoak said:

The transmission risk in ports are over sold.

UK the evidence is most people get covid through household interaction s, daily activities like shopping growing to pubs restaurants etc transmission has been very low.

Even during mass protests and packed beaches impact was low.

A big issue has been household mixing like schools where a class is effectively 30 household mixing.

Care situations are another.

Ships are similar you create household mixing.

The more packed they get the harder it is for people to engage in protection measures as they become less effective.

It is not an all or nothing game, any step that filters out cases is still worth doing

A lot make their case based on everything needs to be 100% effective.

13 hours ago, memoak said:

Grocery stores and walking down the street do not get you quarantined with very limited care on a floating Petri dish… it’s the environment silly!!

1 hour ago, nijh said:

Yeah - I’m being sarcastic.  As many have said, we just need to get on with life now.  

If you don’t want the risk don’t do the thing.  That goes for everything including getting on a ship or crossing the street.

I don't think you understand risk.  It's not an all or nothing.  Yes there is a risk to crossing the street but we mitigate the risk by stopping at the kerb, looking both ways, using crossings where available.  We still might be mown down by a truck but it is less likely.  Similarly, there is a risk of catching Covid if we take a cruise but we lower the risk by masking, vaccinating and testing to help protect others.  Still might get Covid, but we've lowered the risk.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I don't think you understand risk.  It's not an all or nothing.  Yes there is a risk to crossing the street but we mitigate the risk by stopping at the kerb, looking both ways, using crossings where available.  We still might be mown down by a truck but it is less likely.  Similarly, there is a risk of catching Covid if we take a cruise but we lower the risk by masking, vaccinating and testing to help protect others.  Still might get Covid, but we've lowered the risk.

But when we cross the road we don't generally wear a helmet, wear brightly colored clothing to be seen better, or even only cross at crosswalks with walk signals.  It's all about degrees of how many precautions we feel are necessary to mitigate the risk.  I don't think anyone on this thread would argue there aren't any precautions that should be taken.  Our disagreement is in how many precautions need to be taken based on how effective we think those precautions are based on the cost (time, money, emotional, etc.) of taking those precautions.  

• Like 1

This discussion referencing crossing streets and Covid would seem to be an appropriate time to tell my brother's story.  Three months ago, my brother was crossing a street at a corner with the walk signal when he was struck by a SUV making a right turn on red.  He has always been so super cautious that we joke with him about his OCD in health-related matters, to the point that he will not allow his wife or luggage into a hotel room at check-in until he has stripped the bed and looked for signs of bed bugs.  He and his wife wouldn't attend any family functions and would only see his grand children from their back yard.  He really, really took his Covid prevention quite diligently.  Yep, you guessed it - when he was admitted to the hospital, he contracted Covid there...

If Covid wants to move in, it will find a way to do it.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, voljeep said:

5 days before cruise - self test

4 days before cruise - self test

3 days before cruise - self test

2 days before cruise - proctored test

1 day before cruise - proctored test

day of cruise - self test

day 1 - day 7 of cruise self test each day

all negative - 

limited contact with crew - just normal interaction

test  day after cruise - positive

blame Princess

And this theoretical guest never left the ship?