Our Covid Experiences

On April 29, my husband and I set sail on the Jewel from Miami on the 14 night TA to Amsterdam.  On Day 9 I woke up with a scratchy throat, stuffy head and cough.  Yes, it was Covid.  I was quarantined for the remainder of the cruise.  My husband remained negative and was able to roam the ship and ports as long as he wore his mask.  We were supposed to fly home to PHL on May 13, then leave out of Bayonne with our kids on the Oasis, May 15.  Since we were stuck in Amsterdam for extra five days until I could test negative to fly home, the May 15 sailing was cancelled.  We rebooked that one for August 14.  Royal has been very good about getting us the refunds we were due and worked with us to issue the FCC's so that we could apply them to the August sailing.  Fast forward to Sunday when my husband woke up with a stuffy head, terrible cough and feeling very tired.  Yes, Covid once again.  We were due to fly to Amsterdam this Friday, then board the Jewel on Monday,  this time to sail around the fjords and the Arctic Circle.  Of course, this sailing was also cancelled.  OK, that's three messed up cruises and that's enough!!  I'm thankful we haven't been too terribly sick and that we are able to look forward to more cruising in the future.  Stay safe everyone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

So sorry to hear.  We were on the TA and knew there were people who got sick.  We did ok and as far as we know we didn't get sick. Spent 5 nts in Amsterdam after the cruise,  which was great.

• Like 1

That sucks!    Sorry to hear of these troubles with covid and travel delays.     The fjords and artic circle should still be there for future cruise.      I completely understand as our Norway Fjords cruise was cancelled for us too!     Someday soon we will make it there    Hopefully hubby feels better soon. 

I did a self test then called the medical center when I tested positive.  They did a PCR test and from there I went straight to my quarantine room.  Tip for the future:  pack before you call medical.  My suitcase was already in my room by the time I got there.

We cruise next Friday on a 2 week cruise and I am worried about this as we will have our 5 year old with us. What happens if a young child tests positive? There is no way I could confine him for days on end to an inside cabin with no fresh air! We are booked on a balcony cabin. If the worst happens can we stay in our booked room at least? Can you disembark to a hotel at your next port stop and fly home from there once you test negative?

3 minutes ago, Irishhappycruiser said:

We cruise next Friday on a 2 week cruise and I am worried about this as we will have our 5 year old with us. What happens if a young child tests positive? There is no way I could confine him for days on end to an inside cabin with no fresh air! We are booked on a balcony cabin. If the worst happens can we stay in our booked room at least? Can you disembark to a hotel at your next port stop and fly home from there once you test negative?

According to another thread, when a child tested positive, the child and a parent were moved to another room.  I don't know if it was an inside room or a room with a window.  In any event, as I believe it has been previously explained, fresh air is supplied to every room via the ventilation system, whether or not there is a balcony.  Not sure about the disembarking question.

6 minutes ago, Irishhappycruiser said:

I was allowed to stay in our suite when I tested positive and my DH was moved to another cabin because he was negative.  It was only for one night though, as the cruise was almost over.  Not sure what would have happened had I tested positive earlier in the cruise.  I was told the cabin was already considered a "sick cabin" and I really think they were just trying to save have to sanitize another cabin.