SAS Strike June 2022?

3 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Flew into Copenhagen today. Saw 2 SAS planes. One at a gate, one parted way out on the edge of the airport. Wonder where the other planes are? Airport was pretty busy...took almost an hour to get my checked bag. Immigration took a very short time...maybe minutes in line.

Time will tell if the sides are both serious to end it 

19 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Wonder where the other planes are?

I do not have the complete answer to your question, but one explanation may be that the Danish mechanics have started a sympathy strike for the pilots - therefore SAS aircraft are inspected at other airports.  In edition to the three Scandinavian capitals, SAS Connect is also based in Ireland.  
Many departures are also served by wetlease flights.

• Like 1

Our flights for Sunday were finally officially canceled early Saturday Morning. Hubby called NCL air as soon as they opened this morning, and no joy in Mudville!  NCL basically told us they had no options for us, oh well, darn!  They told us we should take it up with SAS to get re-booked.  We've called SAS before and they've said they can do nothing, because the airfare is through NCL.  We've been on hold for about 2 hours now, again with SAS.  Based on their on hold message I'm pretty sure they're only offering refunds, not re-bookings.  We do have trip insurance, so we're about to cobble together some crazy combination of flights to Europe and trains within Europe, and see how the travel insurance works out.  

How's everyone else doing? 

3 hours ago, deelightfull said:

Our flights for Sunday were finally officially canceled early Saturday Morning. Hubby called NCL air as soon as they opened this morning, and no joy in Mudville!  NCL basically told us they had no options for us, oh well, darn!  They told us we should take it up with SAS to get re-booked.  We've called SAS before and they've said they can do nothing, because the airfare is through NCL.  We've been on hold for about 2 hours now, again with SAS.  Based on their on hold message I'm pretty sure they're only offering refunds, not re-bookings.  We do have trip insurance, so we're about to cobble together some crazy combination of flights to Europe and trains within Europe, and see how the travel insurance works out.  

How's everyone else doing? 

Some usual alternatives in the recent days:

1. Use Air Canada or LOT or ever Turkish Air

(avoids crazy transfer at major European airports)

2. United to Bergen

3. Finn Air to Helsinki

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hal2008 said:

Some usual alternatives in the recent days:

1. Use Air Canada or LOT or ever Turkish Air

(avoids crazy transfer at major European airports)

2. United to Bergen

3. Finn Air to Helsinki

Finnair also has some flights from the US (LA, NY and Florida I think) to Stockholm Arlanda.

After five hours on hold yesterday (with SAS) we got replacement flights, yay!  Red Eye Sunday night to Newark, NJ.  Seven hours to self transfer over to JFK, then a second red-eye Monday night to Frankfurt.  Lastly, an hour later, a quick hop to Copenhagen and we should be there by Tuesday morning, 24hrs later than originally planned, but still a day before embarkation!  😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, deelightfull said:

After five hours on hold yesterday (with SAS) we got replacement flights, yay!  Red Eye Sunday night to Newark, NJ.  Seven hours to self transfer over to JFK, then a second red-eye Monday night to Frankfurt.  Lastly, an hour later, a quick hop to Copenhagen and we should be there by Tuesday morning, 24hrs later than originally planned, but still a day before embarkation!  😁

Wow! That is really a unique itinerary. . . . but, it gets you there.  Congrats. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, deelightfull said:

Did you make it? That is a pretty tight connection at FRA.

The SAS strike is over.
 SAS and the pilots have reached an agreement.

Flights will resume tomorrow Tuesday.  However, this will mean that it takes a few days before all aircraft are operational.

…. update follows.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, hallasm said:

The SAS strike is over.
 SAS and the pilots have reached an agreement.

Flights will resume tomorrow Tuesday.  However, this will mean that it takes a few days before all aircraft are operational.

…. update follows.

Great news. Thank you for keeping everyone updated throughout this whole situation.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Great news!  Now I can cancel the very expensive refundable Delta tickets I bought as insurance.  [In a few days, when I actually see SAS flying from EWR to CPH]

This is wonderful for you and everyone else who was in the same situation. All that stress about flights should now be mostly over. I say mostly, because air travel is still quite a mess.

My flight, SAS 910 EWR to CPH on July 26 was never cancelled.  Right now SAS has cancelled that flight through tonight, but it still shows as 'on time' for tomorrow (July 21).

Edited:  I found SAS 909 CPH to EWR, starting back up on July 21 – that brings the A350-900 to Newark.  If that flight and the return 910 operate tomorrow, I'll assume SAS is back in business on this route.

On 7/18/2022 at 3:43 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Great news!  Now I can cancel the very expensive refundable Delta tickets I bought as insurance.  [In a few days, when I actually see SAS flying from EWR to CPH]

Our SAS flight from Dulles to Copenhagen (then on to ARN) was cancelled this morning (7/21) for our flight on 7/22.  I called the Viking Air Emergency line and reached someone right away.  We now have flights on KLM via Amsterdam.  Unfortunately KLM is having luggage problems in AMS.  I hope this will be cleared up very soon.  We are so close to going on this trip that we have been waiting for since 2021.

On 7/21/2022 at 12:22 PM, umbrellagirl said:

Our SAS flight from Dulles to Copenhagen (then on to ARN) was cancelled this morning (7/21) for our flight on 7/22.  I called the Viking Air Emergency line and reached someone right away.  We now have flights on KLM via Amsterdam.  Unfortunately KLM is having luggage problems in AMS.  I hope this will be cleared up very soon.  We are so close to going on this trip that we have been waiting for since 2021.

Sorry to hear that.  SAS is getting back up at least somewhat:  'my' plane arrived from CPH at EWR this afternoon and is scheduled to make the return trip this evening.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wanted to report back that our SAS flights (EWR–CPH and ARN–EWR) operated on time and our luggage arrived both times.  We booked SAS Plus (premium economy), but our lowish bid for upgrade to Business was accepted for the flight over [we didn't bid for upgrade on the return because the biz seats on their A330 don't get good reviews].  Really liked the Business lie-flat seats on their A350-900.  Thought the food in Business was the best we have ever had in the air – and the food in Plus was equally good.  SAS Plus seems like the sweet spot (lounge access, priority baggage tags, comfortable seats, good food and service).  Overall, we were very pleased with SAS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Wanted to report back that our SAS flights (EWR–CPH and ARN–EWR) operated on time and our luggage arrived both times.  We booked SAS Plus (premium economy), but our lowish bid for upgrade to Business was accepted for the flight over [we didn't bid for upgrade on the return because the biz seats on their A330 don't get good reviews].  Really liked the Business lie-flat seats on their A350-900.  Thought the food in Business was the best we have ever had in the air – and the food in Plus was equally good.  SAS Plus seems like the sweet spot (lounge access, priority baggage tags, comfortable seats, good food and service).  Overall, we were very pleased with SAS.

Good to hear; glad everything worked out for the best.

• 2 weeks later...

If your SAS flight was canceled during the pilot strike and your arrival at the final destination was therefore delayed, they are entitled to compensation.

SAS customers whose flights were canceled during the pilot strike have the right to be paid substantial financial compensation for the cancellation. The company's management acknowledges this in the new accounts that SAS published yesterday.
In the accounts, the company has set aside money to pay compensation to customers.

On 8/27/2022 at 6:16 AM, hallasm said:

If your SAS flight was canceled during the pilot strike and your arrival at the final destination was therefore delayed, they are entitled to compensation.

SAS customers whose flights were canceled during the pilot strike have the right to be paid substantial financial compensation for the cancellation. The company's management acknowledges this in the new accounts that SAS published yesterday.
In the accounts, the company has set aside money to pay compensation to customers.

I had my flights from Arlanda to Copenhagen/Copenhagen to ORD Chicago completely canceled.  Had to book flights 2 days later, for 4 people, from Arlanda through Istanbul to Chicago.  I have 2 claims submitted - one for the canceled flights, and another for travel expenses (new tickets, hotel, food.)  I was able to talk to a SAS representative after being on hold for an hour and a half.  He said, basically ,to be patient, and that there are thousands of claims that have to be reviewed by hand.  He said expect compensation in at least 3 months.

• Thanks 1